Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

that game looks liek a big pile of sheeit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

heck, when you’re right, you’re right

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

by VideoGames
I don't know why a multiplayer superhero game is so hard to pull off.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Playing Deathloop for the first time. I gather it's a bit of a second-tier Arkane immersive sim but it seems OK so far. The dialogue has 'FRENCH DEV STUDIO' stamped all over it in enormous letters. I cannot explain what I mean by that but I know what I know.

Just finished FarCry 6 which I ended up really enjoying. I think making it so that in the third act we have to pretend that South American Die Aantword are crucial to the resistance is a risky decision, and a bizarre drop in the escalation of stakes.

Act 2 is best, La Morale best allies, McKay best villain.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Deathloop is definitely a tier below the Dishonored games, but those are so high up on the scale that there’s plenty of room underneath for a game to still be quite good. I really enjoyed my time with.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Just got a notification that F1 2023 is up on gamepass I guess if you have ultimate with ea play.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Red Warrior posted:

Just got a notification that F1 2023 is up on gamepass I guess if you have ultimate with ea play.

Yeah I’ve been cruising through the last few days, seems largely similar to last year, though there’s a story mode where you follow a team through a season which is interesting. There’s also an expanded F1 World component, though I’m a bit wary as I can see three different in-game currencies.

More fun to drive than Forza at any rate

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

webmeister posted:

Yeah I’ve been cruising through the last few days, seems largely similar to last year, though there’s a story mode where you follow a team through a season which is interesting. There’s also an expanded F1 World component, though I’m a bit wary as I can see three different in-game currencies.

More fun to drive than Forza at any rate

the new forza is extremely fun to drive in. it's every other aspect of it that sucks rear end.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Deathloop is pretty cool. I didn't have enough time to get far into it, but I enjoyed the dozen hours I put into it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

I know it's always been obvious, but this video and content, the extra non story characters, the skins and weapons and delivery of it all, it really hits home for me how this is truly Avengers 2.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s so incredibly disappointing that Rocksteady is following up the amazing Arkham trilogy with this pile of poo poo

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

by VideoGames

elf help book posted:

I know it's always been obvious, but this video and content, the extra non story characters, the skins and weapons and delivery of it all, it really hits home for me how this is truly Avengers 2.

At least the Hulk wasn't using guns. And there is more comics precedent for that.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s so incredibly disappointing that Rocksteady is following up the amazing Arkham trilogy with this pile of poo poo

WB are criminals

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

tbh the Joker design isn't awful. The idea of a somewhat more insecure Joker that never became a supervillain and was in a Suicide Squad isn't the worst. The character designs have been fine.

It's just attached to a game that isn't appealing in any way, and I don't think this changes anything.

Also, that was an 11 minute trailer about endgame that didn't actually explain endgame in any way. Unless the skill challenges are the endgame? lmao. Oh boy, there will be free new story content every 6 months.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

by VideoGames

Rookersh posted:

tbh the Joker design isn't awful. The idea of a somewhat more insecure Joker that never became a supervillain and was in a Suicide Squad isn't the worst. The character designs have been fine.

It's just attached to a game that isn't appealing in any way, and I don't think this changes anything.

Also, that was an 11 minute trailer about endgame that didn't actually explain endgame in any way. Unless the skill challenges are the endgame? lmao. Oh boy, there will be free new story content every 6 months.

If he never became a supervillain then why is he in the Suicide Squad?

Lammasu fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 23, 2024

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Deathloop like almost every "immersive simulation" game ever made would have been better off as either a more conventional linear FPS, a more conventional RPG, or maybe even as an adventure game than what we got

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Deathloop main issue for me was how terrible the ai was which is a fatal error in a game with stealth. The premise is very interesting, getting a perfect scenario where you can assasinate all the targets in 24 hours is such a cool idea but I feel like they failed the execution.

Also it's one of those games where there is a huge difference between critics and users. I am sure there are some butthurt people due to 2 main characters of color which I honestly thought were 2 of the best part of the game. Their voice acting and chemistry was great. But in general I do agree more with the user rating than critics on this one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rookersh posted:

I'll tell you what's wrong with the character designs: There is a guy called Captain Boomerang that shoots a gun 90% of the time. How do you make boomerangs your entire thing and still use an automatic rifle. He should rename himself to Captain Gun, the fraud.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I'll tell you what's wrong with the character designs: There is a guy called Captain Boomerang that shoots a gun 90% of the time. How do you make boomerangs your entire thing and still use an automatic rifle. He should rename himself to Captain Gun, the fraud.

Batman only occasionally uses bats and is more known for throwing boomerangs.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

exquisite tea posted:

Well you see he's only in the game because he was in the film, but his power would be poo poo for gameplay, so...

Etc, etc.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

drrockso20 posted:

Deathloop like almost every "immersive simulation" game ever made would have been better off as either a more conventional linear FPS, a more conventional RPG, or maybe even as an adventure game than what we got

wrong

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Deathloop is fine but I felt like the actual story is kind of shoved into the background in favor of gameplay

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lammasu posted:

At least the Hulk wasn't using guns. And there is more comics precedent for that.

They probably should have given him guns since they decided that he should be made out of tissue paper.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There's a little bit of me that believes its possible that Rocksteady will pull a blinder out of the endgame and deliver something that will become definitive for a genre that's busy collapsing in on itself.

Otherwise this will be another data point in the lesson publishers are learning 'holy poo poo do not commit tens of millions of dollars and a 7-8 year development cycle to one project, you have no idea what consumer trends will be like when it's ready'. The only people who can get away with that plan are iterating on making the same game over and over again.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I read IGN’s article about their experiences playing the closed beta and it sounded like the gameplay was typical GaaS open world poo poo. The story was highlighted as mostly good but there are apparently some strange parts.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Eh, I really liked the invasion aspect and had fun playing Juliana online too. It is a unique take on the idea and I think it worked well overall, instead of being yet another story shooter. I never played the Dishonored series cause it looks just like every other boring rear end story shooter. Deathloop has a hook that convinced me to try it.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

ImpAtom posted:

Batman only occasionally uses bats and is more known for throwing boomerangs.

You idiot. You moron. The boomerangs are bat shaped! They even call them batarangs!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

ColdPie posted:

Eh, I really liked the invasion aspect and had fun playing Juliana online too. It is a unique take on the idea and I think it worked well overall, instead of being yet another story shooter. I never played the Dishonored series cause it looks just like every other boring rear end story shooter. Deathloop has a hook that convinced me to try it.

Do yourself a favor and play DH, then DH2 then the standalone DLC. They are fantastic games. Similar in game feel to Deathloop but just better all around. This is coming from someone who likes Deathloop and would classify it as good. DH doesn't beat you over the head with story either, it lets you actually play the game and engage in a lot of environmental story telling if you so choose.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

you just cant make that type of gaas poo poo good. maybe for gamers who have absolute chimp-brains it will be fun for them but for anyone with the intelligence of a dog or above, it will be gaming poison

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Seltzer posted:

Similar in game feel to Deathloop but just better all around.

Dishonored 2 is a disaster on Xbox

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

You idiot. You moron. The boomerangs are bat shaped! They even call them batarangs!

So we can settle this by him calling his guns Boomers.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Dishonored 2 is a disaster on Xbox

I played it originally on xbox one where I was used to every game running like rear end

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

ImpAtom posted:

So we can settle this by him calling his guns Boomers.

If they're boomerang shaped then yes :colbert:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

you just cant make that type of gaas poo poo good. maybe for gamers who have absolute chimp-brains it will be fun for them but for anyone with the intelligence of a dog or above, it will be gaming poison
They need to stop trying to make games that clearly should be single player story based games into GaaS bullshit

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ColdPie posted:

Never got far enough to interact with that aspect of the game, bounced off pretty early as I realized it committed the cardinal sin of basically all immersive simulation games I've played where in order to prop up the non combat aspects of the game rather than make those parts actually fun and interesting to interact with they just kneecap the combat systems into being even worse so you're forced into engaging in stealth even though these games almost universally have lovely overly punishing stealth systems as well which results in games that are just absolute slogs to actually play

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Indie games can somehow manage to release free updates constantly, it's too bad AAA game development is full of bloat and Lazy Devs and can't do the same. rip

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Honestly, each Arkham game was a steady decline from the one before it so why shouldn't this by the same?

Charting a quality line it'll probably be about where you'd expect a follow up to Arkham Knight to land.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Arkham City is the best one though?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Honestly, each Arkham game was a steady decline from the one before it so why shouldn't this by the same?

Charting a quality line it'll probably be about where you'd expect a follow up to Arkham Knight to land.
City was probably the peak but Knight was still overall a good game (the Batmobile stuff was dumb)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Harlock posted:

Arkham City is the best one though?

Some would argue that less is more and that Arkham Asylum makes for a leaner, better flowing experience.