Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Artillery would be useful if buildings were actually destructible.

I don't think I ever even bothered with the BoS or Institute grenades, I just never thought to use them.

Does the Railroad give you one? I can't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I just recalled that the MM give you a flare gun to summon them to your location. I don't think I ever ever fired it to see what the flare looks like. I think I've only ever encountered them maybe.... Twice? In the wilderness. Usually getting pounded by something scarier than they are.

I guess one of the main issues with those kinds of deployables is that it's never a tactical choice. I've only ever dropped an artillery flare because I thought that it would be funny to do so. Never because it seemed like if I didn't things would go poorly. Even in earlier parts of the game where there are enemies or problems that might actually benefit from being solved with artillery, such as especially large/nasty mobs that would be difficult to face head on, you're eternally out of range/trying to use the artillery skylines your location and you're going to do little beyond staring as your target sprints towards you and out of the location on which fire will be falling in about 60 seconds.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Entropic posted:

Artillery would be useful if buildings were actually destructible.

I don't think I ever even bothered with the BoS or Institute grenades, I just never thought to use them.

Does the Railroad give you one? I can't remember.

The institute grenades are kinda fun because if you throw them past the enemy position they'll start going after the synths and not you.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

hobbesmaster posted:

The institute grenades are kinda fun because if you throw them past the enemy position they'll start going after the synths and not you.

So throw a institute grenade and then throw the artillery grenade on top of that?

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
I'm playing a 1 END Survival character and I long for the day I get artillery grenades.

Mind you the minuteman flares/institute beacons are beyond useless mostly, pretty sure there's some mods about that make them spawn something a little stronger than level 1 target practice.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Institute grenades are fun as gently caress after you betrayed them I'll sya that. Throw a few in behind some enemies, collect all their corpses. If the synth survives it'll attack you.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, Institute Grenades are really at their best when you're hostile to the Institute. They kill the locals, you kill them, and then you collect two sets of loot.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Quick question:

Haven't read all 203 pages (yet), but is there a way (or a mod) to make it so that you don't have to visit your settlements individually to collect the caps produced by your shops? I can't believe they made it that way in the first place. I really don't want to spend an hour fast-traveling to 17 different settlements for 100 caps each.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Quick question:

Haven't read all 203 pages (yet), but is there a way (or a mod) to make it so that you don't have to visit your settlements individually to collect the caps produced by your shops? I can't believe they made it that way in the first place. I really don't want to spend an hour fast-traveling to 17 different settlements for 100 caps each.

Yeah, someone made a mod that lets you craft bottle caps on a 1:1 basis. You need the perk that lets you link settlements of course.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

gromdul posted:

Yeah, someone made a mod that lets you craft bottle caps on a 1:1 basis. You need the perk that lets you link settlements of course.

Perfect. Do you know the name or link?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Speaking of mods, what do you guys have as a mod loadout?

I have Armorsmith Extended (which feels incomplete, somehow, but useful), Homemaker Expanded Settlements (great if you have the patience for building settlements or if you desperately need a fridge in Sanctuary), Legendary Modification (feels like cheating so I don't actually use it), More Where That Came From which makes Diamond City Radio bearable, Snapable Junk Fences which I've yet to test, Spring Cleaning (owns) and True Storms (pretty). What am I missing? Any news on the GECK?

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Does adding mods like these affect the reliability of the game? I've never used a mod on any game before, so I'm worried that I could gently caress something up permanently by installing something buggy/otherwise horrible. Like, worst case scenario can I just uninstall a given mod and have all my other data and saves unaffected?

That weather mod looks amazing though.

Blakkout fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 4, 2016

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The worst I've ever seen a mod do is render a specific save unplayable.

I use ModOrganizer to handle Skyrim and Fallout 4 mods, and there's an option that keeps all saves specific to the list of mods your using. Worst case scenario is to remove the mods, and your old saves stay intact. Other mod tools probably do similar?

If you manually do mods, there's a chance you could fuckup some files and saves, so learn how to use ModOrganizer and you should be good.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Use Nexus Mod Manager, it's easy to use and will autoupdate mods and such. And I've been adding and removing mods all along my playthrough and haven't had any problems. Only issue is with Spring Cleaning because for some reason, elements that I had disabled with the console because they were buggy were still invisible but were selectable in workshop mode and crashed the game when selected. Pretty specific bug.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I went mod crazy when I started my second game, but one of them was causing crashing, I could not figure out which one, and ended up deactivating all the new mods.

I completely missed the drain the quarry quest the first time I played. I wonder if there's anything decent down there.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Dang, thanks for that. You can snap at multiple Z-levels, the fence parts clip into the ground, you can even fine-tune fence angles with the big tire blocks. This is multiple steps up from existing fence technology.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
So I've got my settlements populated enough that I've initiated Operation: Invulnerable Roving Gangs. Couple things I learned:

1. if you have more than 2 provisioners going to/from a settlement, settlers stop arriving there
2. (rumor, haven't tested yet) I heard you can apparently assign provisioners to wear power armor

If 2 is true, then you can bet your life one of my gangs is going to be all power armor'd up. Once I have every single settler crisscrossing the Commonwealth for maximum coverage, I'm going to stop ever using fast travel on that character.

Screenshot of gang patrols, beginning stages. Pardon the really lovely stitch-job.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

That seems like straight up murder

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

omg chael crash posted:

That seems like straight up murder

What, in terms of time/effort or strain on the processor? cuz "yes" and "I'm sure gonna find out"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Murdering the wasteland presumably.

Like the one time I ran into one of my retainers I was fighting some raiders and they just walked right behind them and cut them all down with their assault rifle.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
oh yeah that too

when I stop and think about it my second character is basically Queen Raider

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I haven't played in 2 months. Have any of the patches changed anything that I'll actually notice?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

So I've got my settlements populated enough that I've initiated Operation: Invulnerable Roving Gangs. Couple things I learned:

1. if you have more than 2 provisioners going to/from a settlement, settlers stop arriving there
2. (rumor, haven't tested yet) I heard you can apparently assign provisioners to wear power armor

If 2 is true, then you can bet your life one of my gangs is going to be all power armor'd up. Once I have every single settler crisscrossing the Commonwealth for maximum coverage, I'm going to stop ever using fast travel on that character.

Screenshot of gang patrols, beginning stages. Pardon the really lovely stitch-job.

So you say that if you have more than 2 to/fro a settlement they don't get more...

but uhhh... does that just mean you're constantly visiting outskirt settlements to send the settlers elsewhere?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

JetsGuy posted:

So you say that if you have more than 2 to/fro a settlement they don't get more...

but uhhh... does that just mean you're constantly visiting outskirt settlements to send the settlers elsewhere?

If you want to go that far, yeah. Once I realized it was happening it was too late, and would have taken way more effort than I cared for to fix/reverse. Besides that, provisioners count for population in the settlements you send them to as well, and I don't have the patience to try and work out the math on that, so I've just been managing the population/provisoner numbers on the fly, and popping Grape Mentats whenever I don't feel like doing the Settler Shuffle just to be able to pop a supply line over to a settlement at its population cap.

In the beginning I had one or two outskirt settlements that were purely set up to draw in settlers so I could go there and send them to the bugged settlements, but that only lasted one or two game sessions before I was like "man gently caress this"

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

provisioners count for population in the settlements you send them to as well,

That explains the settlements I had that broke 20, thanks!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
There's actually a bunch of ways that can happen. Your stats can go over 10 with no cap, so if you've got a maxed CHA and pick up the bobblehead you can have 11, which'll give you 21 settlers off the bat. If you ever drink alcohol or pop any drugs that raise your CHA, this also affects your settlement cap, and it's not unusual to get settlers wandering in during that window when you're on the drugs. Armor and equipment can also raise this. I saw a way where, through abusing +CHA on armor, power armor paint schemes, and drugs, you could theoretically get up to 43 settlers in a settlement.

Now where this gets hella :bethesda: is that while provisioners count as population in the settlement you send them to, they don't show up in the settlement population count (at least not consistently--I haven't seen it happen at all). So if you had 15 settlers at Croup Manor, then set up a provisioner to there, your pop would effectively be 16 but still show as 15.

We really need a bethesda smilie. In my mind it feels like a combination of :psyduck: and :haw: but I have no idea what it'd look like

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

So the loading screens don't load for me, just the little whirly thing in the bottom right corner. This never happened when I played at launch. Is there any fix for this?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Did you install the latest update? New patch just hit consoles today. I'm trying it out. Simply being able to see what loving resource your settler's assigned to by hovering over them is a godsend. I wish it was a bit more granular (like, instead of ASSIGNED: (FOODICON.PNG) it could be ASSIGNED: CORN (12)) but I'll take it!

edited to include changelog

quote:

New Features
  • New ambient occlusion setting, HBAO+
  • New weapon debris effects (NVIDIA cards only)
  • Added status menu for settlers in your settlements
  • Added ability to rotate an object you are holding with left/right triggers and pressing down on left thumbstick lets you switch the rotating axis
  • Improved "ESDF" keys remapping support while in Workshop mode

Gameplay Fixes
  • General memory and stability improvements
  • Improved performance when looking through a scope
  • Fixed issue where player could warp to a different location when aiming
  • Companions can no longer get stuck with radiation poisoning
  • Fixed an issue where Vault 81 residents would not dismember correctly
  • Big Leagues perk now displays calculated damage correctly
  • Fixed issue with third person camera not displaying properly after exiting certain crafting stations
  • Fixed an issue where subtitles would occasionally not update properly
  • Effects will properly be removed on companions when items are unequipped
  • MacReady’s Killshot perk now calculates headshot percentages properly
  • Fixed an issue with NPCs getting stuck in Power Armor
  • Fixed a rare issue with companions getting stuck in down state
  • Second rank of Aquaboy now calculates properly
  • Fixed an issue with resistance not always lowering the damage correctly when added by mods
  • Enabled number of characters available when renaming an item (XB1)
  • Fixed issue with player becoming dismembered while still alive
  • Robotics expert is now usable in combat
  • Stimpaks can now be used on Curie after the transformation
  • Playing a holotape found in wilderness while switching point of view no longer causes the screen to blur or controls to be locked

Quest Fixes
  • Fixed an issue with "Taking Independence" where the minutemen remaining from the battle against the Mirelurk Queen would not gather in the Castle
  • Fixed an issue where invulnerable characters would get stuck in combat
  • Fixed an issue where Preston would send player to a settlement instead of a dungeon as part of a Minutemen quest
  • Fixed an issue where Synths could attack the Castle while the player was friends with the Institute
  • Fixed an issue where killing a caravan would leave a quest open
  • Fixed an issue where Dogmeat would stay at Fort Hagen after "Reunions" was completed
  • Fixed an issue where the player couldn't talk to Desdemona to complete "Underground Undercover"
  • Fixed an issue where the player could get stuck exiting the cryopod
  • Fixed an issue where the player could no longer get Preston as a companion
  • In "The End of the Line," fixed an issue that would prevent the player from killing the leaders of the Railroad
  • Fixed an issue with Minutemen quests repeating improperly
  • Fixed an issue where the player couldn't get back into the Railroad headquarters after being kicked out of the Brotherhood of Steel
  • After finishing "The Big Dig," fixed an issue where Hancock would no longer offer to be a companion or help with the "Silver Shroud" quest
  • Fixed an issue with obtaining the Dampening Coils from Saugus Ironworks before going to Yangtze
  • During "Unlikely Valentine," fixed an issue where the player could be blocked from entering Vault 114
  • In "Confidence Man," Bull and Gouger can now be killed
  • During "Taking Independence," fixed an issue that would prevent the radio transmitter from powering up
  • In "Human Error," fixed an issue where killing Dan would cause the quest to not complete properly
  • Fixed an issue with "Tactical Thinking" where leaving dialogue early with Captain Kells to reprogram P.A.M. could cause quest to not completely properly

Workshop Fixes
  • Fixed a bug that would cause settler counts to appear incorrectly
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent the player from setting up a supply line in settlements with a high population
  • Improvements to snapping pieces together while in Workshop mode
  • Fixed an issue that caused powered items to stop functioning permanently if its power source was ever removed
  • Player can now build workbenches in their Diamond City house
  • Building wires no longer uses up copper
  • Fixed issue with certain settlement attacks not generating properly
  • Fixed an issue with settlement happiness calculations
  • Settlers assigned to weapons stand will now stand next to it
  • Diamond City house now shows provided power
  • Repairing items will now correctly consume resources
  • Fixed an issue where companion would ignore commands at workshop locations
  • Fixed an issue with crops appearing destroyed after saving and reloading

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah I use it on steam and it applied automatically at some point. It never did that before. Also really increased load times but only for going into and out of the commonwealth.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Is it just me or is the artillery a lot less lovely now? I've been using it just to use it, and it acted pretty quickly just now, and there were more shells hittting a bit more frequently.

(or I should lay off the Daytripper)

edit: googling only gave me a bunch of people who were stuck on an endless loading screen, but nothing for a black loading screen. It'll finish loading, right?

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 10, 2016

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

We really need a bethesda smilie. In my mind it feels like a combination of :psyduck: and :haw: but I have no idea what it'd look like

Needs some :dice: in there

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

:bungie: works for now.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

JetsGuy posted:

That explains the settlements I had that broke 20, thanks!

The population thing seems to behave weirdly anyway. Pretty much all of my settlements that I've put any effort into are around 15-18 settlers, except for County Crossing which had 32 settlers the last time I passed through it. There's not even enough land for them all really. :wtc:

edit: googling only gave me a bunch of people who were stuck on an endless loading screen, but nothing for a black loading screen. It'll finish loading, right?

I don't get it every time, but I get the all black loading screens a lot. Usually when I'm zoning between areas I've already just been to or places that are fairly quick to load.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

What's the best settlement to go for the Benevolent Leader trophy? I started building up the Castle for it, but much to my disdain, I've already maxed out the allowable size somehow? I've got like 20% of the crap I've built in Sanctuary, and my building capacity there is less than half of the max. It's a shame too, because I think the Castle is a really cool space to work with.

Also, if I were to assign a peon to do a supply line from Sanctuary or the Castle, is he considered a resident of the former or the latter? Since he can't run a shop and the supply line simultaneously, I assume I want to structure in in such as way to make him a resident in the settlement where I'm not going for the Benevolent Leader trophy?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

The only ones that are bad for it are

- Places that have named NPCs that will mess you up (Sanctuary, any of the build sites for the interceptor thingamabob, probably others).
- Places without water (Boston Airport, a lot of the farms, etc)

And then just build a bunch of water generators, make sure it's got enough food in the bank to feed everyone, and put everyone on bar duty, and build an absurd amount of defenses. I think it's a lot easier just to use a settlement with one guy in it and put him in a bar and throw a bunch of food in the bank while water generators keep him supplied. Make sure any supply lines are originating from the other places, and it will come pretty easy in time, they count against wherever they are residing in when you start the supply line.

The Castle might be hard because that guy operating the radio and maybe Ronnie (? the woman who opens the armory) are probably gonna screw up your happiness calculations, but I'm not sure.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Blakkout posted:

What's the best settlement to go for the Benevolent Leader trophy? I started building up the Castle for it, but much to my disdain, I've already maxed out the allowable size somehow? I've got like 20% of the crap I've built in Sanctuary, and my building capacity there is less than half of the max. It's a shame too, because I think the Castle is a really cool space to work with.

Also, if I were to assign a peon to do a supply line from Sanctuary or the Castle, is he considered a resident of the former or the latter? Since he can't run a shop and the supply line simultaneously, I assume I want to structure in in such as way to make him a resident in the settlement where I'm not going for the Benevolent Leader trophy?

I did this trophy a few days ago at Starlight Drive, and it took me about 90 minutes total. Here's the method I used:
- Scrap everything at the location before starting.
- I created a supply line from my main settlement (Sanctuary) and the trophy settlement to have access to building materials. This did not seem to add to my trophy settlement's population count.
- Build 80 defense, 6 food, 6 water, 7-8 beds (all indoors), 5 level 3 clinics.
- Build as many wooden crates as it takes to get the settlement size bar to turn yellow.
- Tell 6 settlers to go to your target location. Two were companions (Cait and Preston), 1 was the Vault-Tec ghoul, 1 was the named handyman from Sanctuary, and 2 were random settlers (so basically it doesn't matter who you pick)
- Fast travel to your destination settlement and assign 5 people to clinics and 1 to the crops
- Build a bunch of paintings on random walls (probably not required but I was bored)

Then repeat this process:
1. Sleep until 8am
2. Stand in the settlement with your workshop menu open and wait for the happiness number to jump (usually takes under 5 minutes)
3. As soon as it jumps, save, then sit in a chair and wait until 8pm
4. Repeat 1-4

I don't know why, but waiting and then sleeping seemed to make it go faster. Probably could achieve the same effect by just sleeping for 24 hours. 8-10 times I did this, the happiness meter would rise within 5 minutes. If 10 minutes passed without the counter ticking up, I just sat in a chair and waited until 8pm and repeated the process. Also, DO NOT FAST TRAVEL away from your settlement once you start going for the trophy. Apparently there's a glitch where your happiness could revert to 80 or below if you do that. It's best to try to do it all in one sitting and wait there. Basically, as long as there's an up arrow by your happiness meter, it's slowly rising.

qbert fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 15, 2016

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im glad to see this thread is still around

hello all

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Looks like the first DLC has been announced, Far Harbour, which I assume is a play on Bar Harbor, or more accurately Fah Habah.

Also looks like there will be DLC that will let you build your own robots, and one that ads more settlement stuff.

Welp, time to buy the $40 season pass!

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

im glad to see this thread is still around

hello all

:eonwe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

SlothBear posted:

The only ones that are bad for it are

- Places that have named NPCs that will mess you up (Sanctuary, any of the build sites for the interceptor thingamabob, probably others).
- Places without water (Boston Airport, a lot of the farms, etc)

And then just build a bunch of water generators, make sure it's got enough food in the bank to feed everyone, and put everyone on bar duty, and build an absurd amount of defenses. I think it's a lot easier just to use a settlement with one guy in it and put him in a bar and throw a bunch of food in the bank while water generators keep him supplied. Make sure any supply lines are originating from the other places, and it will come pretty easy in time, they count against wherever they are residing in when you start the supply line.

The Castle might be hard because that guy operating the radio and maybe Ronnie (? the woman who opens the armory) are probably gonna screw up your happiness calculations, but I'm not sure.

qbert posted:

I did this trophy a few days ago at Starlight Drive, and it took me about 90 minutes total. Here's the method I used:
- Scrap everything at the location before starting.
- I created a supply line from my main settlement (Sanctuary) and the trophy settlement to have access to building materials. This did not seem to add to my trophy settlement's population count.
- Build 80 defense, 6 food, 6 water, 7-8 beds (all indoors), 5 level 3 clinics.
- Build as many wooden crates as it takes to get the settlement size bar to turn yellow.
- Tell 6 settlers to go to your target location. Two were companions (Cait and Preston), 1 was the Vault-Tec ghoul, 1 was the named handyman from Sanctuary, and 2 were random settlers (so basically it doesn't matter who you pick)
- Fast travel to your destination settlement and assign 5 people to clinics and 1 to the crops
- Build a bunch of paintings on random walls (probably not required but I was bored)

Then repeat this process:
1. Sleep until 8am
2. Stand in the settlement with your workshop menu open and wait for the happiness number to jump (usually takes under 5 minutes)
3. As soon as it jumps, save, then sit in a chair and wait until 8pm
4. Repeat 1-4

I don't know why, but waiting and then sleeping seemed to make it go faster. Probably could achieve the same effect by just sleeping for 24 hours. 8-10 times I did this, the happiness meter would rise within 5 minutes. If 10 minutes passed without the counter ticking up, I just sat in a chair and waited until 8pm and repeated the process. Also, DO NOT FAST TRAVEL away from your settlement once you start going for the trophy. Apparently there's a glitch where your happiness could revert to 80 or below if you do that. It's best to try to do it all in one sitting and wait there. Basically, as long as there's an up arrow by your happiness meter, it's slowly rising.

Very helpful, thanks guys. I'll give it a try tonight.

• Locked thread