Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Roland's known to drop references to the Colors, though?

TeeQueue posted:

The whole market’s a red ocean. Everyone wants to be a Fixer.

Like here, see how he uses the word red, clearly as a surreptitious accusation at the Red Mist for manipulating the fixer market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
okay, what color is this "Ocean" fixer? Blue and red are already taken. Are synonyms or more specific colors allowed? Like 'azure' or 'cerulean' or 'wine-dark'?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Just A Bit Greenier Than The Standard Blue-Green

SlimeTheCrazy
Feb 21, 2022

I HAVE CHORTLES

Chaosbrain posted:

Two interesting things to note from opposite directions. First is that it is fairly clear that the Wolf probably really DOESNT want to be bad, but his instincts and even the narrative practically force him to be so. He holds himself back as much as he can, until he cant do it any longer and bursts out in a minor orgy of violence.

The second thing is take a close look at the picture used for several of his cards and The Role of the Wolf. That cute cuddly exterior appears to not be a transformation...its a SUIT. The head is a fake one, his real body is concealed in the "stomach" and rips itself out from a hole there when it emerges. Actually in hindsight its like a Mimikyu.
Again, while the abnos are slightly sidelined in this entry compared to lobotomy corp, I do appreciate how in lieu of actual codex entries we at least get to better witness more aspects of their actual character on a more personal level. Really does help put into context why these monsters are the way they are and why they function like they do.

oobitydoo
Oct 1, 2021

Hwurmp posted:

Just A Bit Greenier Than The Standard Blue-Green

The Fixer market's really gone downhill since we ran out of normal color names and nouns, making people start having to get creative. The Puke-Green-but-with-a-shade-of-blue Chaise-Lounge just lost their mind and slaughterered half a district because nobody could get the name right!

Winterdragon2004
Mar 28, 2021

I'll hear that wonderous sound again, even if it has to be from my own two hands
Huh, I guess we know the influence behind KoD's existence now

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

NullBlack posted:

okay, what color is this "Ocean" fixer? Blue and red are already taken. Are synonyms or more specific colors allowed? Like 'azure' or 'cerulean' or 'wine-dark'?

Oh, they're actually past even things like "wine-dark". At this point they have to name them after actual wines, like "Château de la City" or "Backstreets Brew".

Also do not, under any circumstances, drink Backstreets Brew. The stuff inside Sweepers probably tastes better, and at least it'll probably kill you fast unlike the 3 days hangover you get from BB.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Also do not, under any circumstances, drink Backstreets Brew. The stuff inside Sweepers probably tastes better, and at least it'll probably kill you fast unlike the 3 days hangover you get from BB.

well yeah, isn't it an open secret that Backstreets Brew is just sweeper fluid mixed with runoff from the nests?

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
Could the same colour be used multiple times, just with a different noun at the end? Given how powerful Colours are, I doubt there would be more than 1 of a certain colour active at a certain time. So Kali was the Red Mist but if someone new showed up, they could be the Red Sun.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

:japan:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the Orange Orange

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Look just refer to yourself with your color in hexadecimal, that way everyone will know who you are easily

This of course assumes hexadecimal wasn’t banned by the Head.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

Is that Japan's new flag, then?

Also, anyone who gets labeled the Orange [WHATEVER] is obviously the least popular of the group.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

KobunFan posted:

Could the same colour be used multiple times, just with a different noun at the end? Given how powerful Colours are, I doubt there would be more than 1 of a certain colour active at a certain time. So Kali was the Red Mist but if someone new showed up, they could be the Red Sun.
I imagine that said Red Sun would be very in touch with their inner child, and also purportedly be "loving invincible."

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
I wonder if there’s enough colors out there for the Hana Association to have its own sentai team :allears:

Blue Reverb
Black Silence
Purple Tear
Red Mist (possibly emeritus at this point)

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Book 34: The Crying Children—Chapter 1

Music: Lobby

With only one option left, there's nothing to do but select it and hit 'go.' Let's take a peek at the aftermath of the Circus.

VIDEO
Music: Ominous ambiance that isn't in the OST.

Oh right. Phillip had just busted in.

We bring the bestest of the smells to City people who have lost their flower stalks.

Due to a bug, Phillip does not light up at all while he is talking. This makes my job of trying to sus out his expressions for the text incredibly difficult! Thanks, Phillip. :lobcorp:

Don’t tell me, do you perhaps not know what a circus is? Well, no matter! Venturing into unknown tastes always comes with a stomachache, after all!

We are the circus whose singular purpose is to spread the flower seeds of the people. If ten people could become clowns and blow up one thousand flowers… Oh, just imagine how wonderfully joyous this world would be!

B—Bullshit… This is…

Ugh… These are… …Oh, what the…! These… These are all… people…

My oh my oh my! Our new clown friend still seems to be a shy one! Maybe I should introduce you to the rest of our troupe first. Alright, Ms. Mermaid and Mr. Knife? Let’s share some of our salts with him!

There's the sound of something singing here, presumably Ms. Mermaid.

Oh dear, oh my… Looks like Ms. Mermaid didn’t have enough practice with her scaly mane, you lackadaisical girl… Your voice is too small! Or are you feeling timid all of a sudden? Whatever the case!

You maniacs… This is all abnormal…

Who gets to decide what’s normal and what’s abnormal, now? If everyone wears a hat weaved from fancy rats on their head… Should that be considered normal?! Haha! Hahahah!!

You won’t ever get to be considered normal, that’s for sure…

Harumph, you’re such a rude fellow, aren’t you!

The 8 o’Clock Circus… Now I remember. You’re the ones who kept Wedge Office busy… And everyone at Dawn Office died in the Library because they couldn’t help.

…If it weren’t for small fries like you, maybe my master and seonbae would’ve been safe and sound. Talk about a coincidence…

But the stench isn’t strong enough just yet; you’re still too fragrant!

Shut up! I’ll slay you… here and now…

Hm… Still smells good, way too good… But, what if we mixed that fragrance with a filthy smell to create a new, boggy scent! Okay, alright. Let’s perform with me, shall we!

…Master? Seonbae? What the… What are you…

A big hand for the three clowns who will lead the show~ Clappity clap~

I… What the hell have you done…

Whoopsie daisy, you’re making such a humpy face! Surprise is a stimulant, one that leads to laughter and entertainment! A true flower only blooms after you have faced your biggest inner abscess and squeezed all the pus out of it! You can’t laugh to your heart’s content until you’ve swallowed the fragrant pus of sadness whole, you know? That’s where I would like to help you!

Oh, what an unexpected turn of events?!

I…

B-But, master already has a wife and children…

Hahaha! Talk about childish. This is such a typical telenovela we have here!

Shut up… You, don’t you dare insult my two mentors with these false illusions!!!

Pardon? I would never. Isn’t what you’re seeing right now… the putrid scent that you believed to be true in your heart so blindly and obviously? Whether it’s true doesn’t matter! You were so certain about it, too. I don’t get why you could be trying to denounce your own claims now! You’re pausing it at just the right moment like it’s a rerun you’ve watched over and over… There’s got to be a reason.

Shut up, shut the hell up…!

No… This has to be a dream… That—That pesky drat clown…

They’re all the same… You all toyed with me!

…Young Philip. What efforts have you actually made to advance your goals?

You must’ve spent most of your energy fabricating all sorts of filthy and uncouth delusions about us simply because Yuna was reluctant to answer your question. Am I wrong here?

Do you think you have any right to blame us?

How pathetic. You ran away alone, and now you’re playing the victim. It was your incompetence, and you didn’t even try to fix it… All you were doing was shamelessly looking for excuses. You ran off without us telling yourself that it’s to save us, and now you’re blaming us for it. You’re believing whatever you want to believe. Because it makes you feel better. Isn’t that true?

After all, it’s much easier to pretend that you’re thinking of others before yourself, rather than accept who you really are.

You both… abandoned me… died like that.

You still haven’t realized. It was foolish of me to put my trust in you…

Shut up! Why do you show up now and haunt me!!! You keep bothering me till the end… Just leave me alone now!

Music: Windy void ambiance

Not feeling quite talkative, are you? Well, it’s fine. We have all the time in the world, so let us open up inch by inch. When a person feels victimized or vexed, someone has to reach out to them and give them a helping hand. I shall be that someone for you. That is what I am here for. Now, hold my hand… Alright, I will kindly extend my arm this far for you.

Are you… going to make my wish come true?

If you utter your wishes, I will give you what you need to make them come true. Does this offer still sound unsatisfactory? I can grant you strength to avenge yourself on that prankster who inflicted much suffering upon you, or I can provide you with powerful weaponry to save the two people you cherish.

I… don’t want to hear anything. I don’t want to see anything… or speak anything…

I’m tired of it all. Right now, all I want is to just… cry out loud.

But of course. I can help you with that.

Music: StoryNervous

Aren’t you a man of talent! You never told me you could make such vibrant expressions~! And… oh. Could you be another new jester to visit us? You’re looking splendid!

…Yes, hello. My name is Pluto.

You’ve come at just the right time! The three of us could make for a wonderful show~

Now, may I ask you a single question? Was the relationship between the three people you just showed on the stage actual truth?

What matters the most is that the show gave our audience fun and entertainment, isn’t it?!

Creating illusions from one’s distorted desires, is it… I can see that this place amplifies people’s desires to the maximum.

Sniff, sniff… You’re also a rather smelly individual… Ooh, did you also hear her voice?

…Nevermind that! Nooow, now! The audience is waiting, so please join me in the rest of the show!

I’m afraid the circus must come to an end as of today.

Golly, what are you even talking about now?!

Philip, here is an invitation for you. Move onward.

Music: Lobby

Are you sympathizing with him after all this time? You called him selfish and dangerous the last time we saw him.

I mean, that’s… I’m not really showing sympathy, if I had to explain… I still think Philip is hopeless personality-wise, but the circumstances he’s getting into don’t seem to be helping his emotions at all.

I know I said tragedies like that are common, but he probably still feels cornered, you know what I mean? He seemed pretty close to overcoming that, but then that clown named Oswald broke his will again. So it’s hard for me to just laugh. I don’t really enjoy watching others rolling in a pit of misery like it’s some kind of entertainment show. Oh, not trying to be sentimental, of course. That’s that, and this is this.

…I see what you mean. It was his own failure to overcome it, after all.

That aside, I wonder how he ended up looking like this.

So that’s how a Distortion is made, huh… I could still use some more explanation, though. That looked kinda similar to how people are turned into books here in the Library?

It’s similar to the process of Abnormalities coming into existence as well. That one still seems unstable, however.

Distorted desires and emotions… What do you think the stage will show you?

It’s gonna be my wife, one-hundred percent. You get the picture. The woman who I couldn’t protect walks up to me, I cry in despair, et cetera.

You’re quite honest about it.

I got nothing to lose, so there’s no point in lying.

Music: Entrance

So it turns out our new guest is Phillip again.

Only now there are three of him, with an obvious gimmick.

Also they're statues, I guess.

You have a pretty voice, eh, lady?

What? You don’t even wanna deal with me ‘cause I look like a kid?

Did that lady with a pretty voice just stare us down or something?

Yeah, she did. Talk about a weird place.

……

How uncouth. Well, guests are guests, I suppose.

What now, what’s up with this noise?

……

I bet that one’s making all kinds of insults at me.

See that door behind me? You’ll go through there.

Door…? Yeah, doors are good… Where’s that door at, though?

She’s pointing at something. Is she telling us to gently caress off over there?

Make haste and get in. I don’t feel like getting caught in your annoying powers.

!! !!!

Next time, on Library of Ruina: The worst fight in the game.

Videos

The Crying Children 1

First to two?

Bet.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Interesting, how "break down Phillip" speech reiterates same points Oscar made and Phillip himself admitted before manifesting EGO. It just was too much for him and instead of admitting his faults and working to overcome them, manifesting own Persona EGO, like he did before, he broke down and turned into Shadow Distortion.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
Philip backtracks on his own resolution when he meets Oswald " …If it weren’t for small fries like you, maybe my master and seonbae would’ve been safe and sound. Talk about a coincidence…", and then immediately afterwards Oswald says that Philp stinks like he does. Philip had problems committing to his ideals without the weight of immanent death even before Oswald started loving with him.

EDIT: I also disagree with TQ that this is the worst fight in the game by a longshot.

SITB fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 12, 2022

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Personal growth that betters yourself takes time and effort. He’s definitely not being given the first, and the 2nd can backslide and take time to recover.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

TeeQueue posted:

Make haste and get in. I don’t feel like getting caught in your annoying powers.

I love the implication that Angela already knows what this bossfight's gimmick is.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Despite Philip's intention to be brave, he was a coward at heart.

Now he won't be getting his happily ever after ending.

I take it Malkuth will be the one fighting them?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

BassMug posted:

I wonder if there’s enough colors out there for the Hana Association to have its own sentai team :allears:

Blue Reverb
Black Silence
Purple Tear
Red Mist (possibly emeritus at this point)

I have reason to believe that one of the colors....

Is the Gold Fish. :v:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

TeeQueue posted:

He used to have a different name, but then Kali came along, and the Head decided that she was a better use of Red, so they made him change. He wasn’t that broken up about it though, he’s got fewer fixers wrongfully accusing him of being complicit in whatever crime they’re investigating.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
There have been lots of jokes about how Oswald manages to break Philip with imaginary NTR, and I think this is the most obvious.

graphic design is my passion

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
There used to be the White Power, but after accusations of racism they spend an exorbitant amount of money to P-Corp to use their paint singularity to rebrand themselves as the Green Power.

L-Corp promptly sent Kali to turbo-murder them to secure their own nieche.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
Too bad, Philip, your previous design was way cooler than those creepy little statues.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Chaosbrain posted:

after accusations of racism
This is the City. Them creating a Fixer Office and making it their main selling point is a more likely possibility. I mean, after Hook Office, I wouldn't bat an eye to the "Triple Key Office Reception".

Winterdragon2004
Mar 28, 2021

I'll hear that wonderous sound again, even if it has to be from my own two hands
Looks like my earlier theory about "Ms. Sun" may have some credence, seeing as Pluto also spoke about hearing " her voice." There is clearly more to the Distortion phenomenon then we realize.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Winterdragon2004 posted:

Looks like my earlier theory about "Ms. Sun" may have some credence, seeing as Pluto also spoke about hearing " her voice." There is clearly more to the Distortion phenomenon then we realize.
It's also hard confirmation that EGO and Distortion are two sides of the same coin.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

MiiNiPaa posted:

This is the City. Them creating a Fixer Office and making it their main selling point is a more likely possibility. I mean, after Hook Office, I wouldn't bat an eye to the "Triple Key Office Reception".

actually, has there been any sign of human-to-human bigotry* in the City? In a world dominated by corporate greed and barely mitigated violence, prejudice seems extraordinarily counter-productive. Anybody dumb enough to restrict their recruitment pool over meaningless poo poo is going to end up steam-rolled by opposition who didn't restrict.

*the human-to-non-human stuff (eg "robo-racism") seems very much the common sci-fi reaction of "we just barely survived being subjugated/eradicated by our robot/mutant/superhuman creations. New rule: WE ARE NOT. DOING THAT. AGAIN." Maybe also "yeah, that could be used to easily manufacture an army to overthrow us. NONE OF THAT."

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Is nobody going to mention the fact that we know know that Pluto is Yesterday's Promise?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I had some definite confusion in this scene. I didn't notice the exact phrasing of Philip's wish to Pluto, so when they came back to the circus I wondered where Philip had gone and what these random stone children were and did not manage to connect the two.

It's nice of Philip to visit the library so often, he must love reading.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
j̸͆͜ū̶̙̦͘s̵͖̄̀t̸̅͜ ̸̗͖̊͋w̶̼̿͘a̶̼̎l̴͉̓͝k̶͔̭̾͆ ̶̱̊ǒ̴̥ű̶̳t̷̢̝̏̓

̷̲̱̈͘y̴̢͈͐o̸̰̎ͅu̸̺̖͗ ̷̘̓c̴̠͓͒a̸̚ͅͅṋ̸̅̒ ̸̓͜l̸̲̼̈́̇e̴̞̼͘a̴͗͜v̸͙̠͒é̵̝̦́

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

TeeQueue posted:

“The snack that smiles back” has an extremely threatening energy in the city.

Junpei posted:

Is nobody going to mention the fact that we know know that Pluto is Yesterday's Promise?

I’m still reeling from that one! He granted that wish in the most City way possible, goddamn. “I just wanna grieve in peace, man.” “Granted, you are now 3 hosed up cherubs”

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.

BassMug posted:

“The snack that smiles back” has an extremely threatening energy in the city.

They are a subsidy/a part of the same business as Wellcheers.

In other news the “Brown” Fixers have always had bad luck, so all of the other Color Fixers consider it cursed. The Brown Streak went up a creek without a paddle, the Brown Cow had to moove, and the Brown Note went nearly Bankrupt due to dry cleaning bills and then got Arbiter’d when they took a mission too close to the Head. Very messy.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Qrr posted:

It's nice of Philip to visit the library so often, he must love reading.

Well, only 66% of him now.

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.

Narsham posted:

Well, only 66% of him now.

The Unseeing Child can still read braille and listen to audiobooks.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The Crying Children? Goddamnit Phillip, even your angst-driven superpowered alter ego sucks.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

t3isukone posted:

j̸͆͜ū̶̙̦͘s̵͖̄̀t̸̅͜ ̸̗͖̊͋w̶̼̿͘a̶̼̎l̴͉̓͝k̶͔̭̾͆ ̶̱̊ǒ̴̥ű̶̳t̷̢̝̏̓

̷̲̱̈͘y̴̢͈͐o̸̰̎ͅu̸̺̖͗ ̷̘̓c̴̠͓͒a̸̚ͅͅṋ̸̅̒ ̸̓͜l̸̲̼̈́̇e̴̞̼͘a̴͗͜v̸͙̠͒é̵̝̦́

if it sucks... hit da bricksbooks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Mr. Locke posted:

The Crying Children? Goddamnit Phillip, even your angst-driven superpowered alter ego sucks.

There is a reason the fanbase ruthlessly dunks on Phillip constantly :v: