Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

look just because they elected the daughter of the former military dictator doesn't mean south korea is a monarchy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'm not sure why liberals are so eager and proud to put their ignorance on display with the "hereditary monarchy" meme but I'm glad y'all do

It's like a giant neon sign that says "this person is not to be taken seriously"

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

freeasinbeer posted:

also lmao at y’all going to the mat to defend what is now a hereditary monarchy 😂

congratulations on showing you know nothing about the korean peninsula or the dprk

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

sexpig by night posted:

Jack Ma's biggest idea was 'why should law and public good get in the way of me making a poo poo ton of money off old people' btw

Sounds like an innovative ~*~disruptor~*~ to me.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Red and Black posted:

Antonymous can you post some of these primary sources? This is an issue I’m very interested in and I’d love to read more about what you’ve been posting

The wilson center has some good selections, which is where I got started. What I was originally interested in is why the USSR hosed up so bad with the UNTCOK, I wanted to find their internal reasoning behind it. Sadly wilson center has like nothing from 1948 but the stuff it has is good.

https://digitalarchive.wilsoncenter.org/collection/134/korean-war-origins-1945-1950

An example, showing the soviets had hope to conclude their deal with the Americans, right before the Americans pulled out and humiliated them at the UN about a week later. American history says the soviets were obstructionists but the US agreement at the Moscow Conference was always going to help the soviets more, so it never made sense, unless they were just stalling. I guess it was just an excuse for America's own obstructionism?

Malik Sept. 12 1947 posted:

To Comrade STALIN

Pursuant to Cde Molotov’s instructions, I am submitting for your approval the draft response to Shtykov’s telegrams Nos. 663 and 669:

“It is premature to propose that the People’s Committee of North Korea and Korean Civil Administration of South Korea are directed to commence negotiations with respect to formation of the Provisional Korean Democratic Government.

We believe it is necessary to wait on the American government’s response to V.M. Molotov’s letter of 4 September, in which he again reiterated the proposal of the Soviet delegation of 26 August to create an advisory body, a Provisional All-Korean People’s Assembly, as a proposal that can alleviate the difficulties that the Joint Commission has encountered. After the American answer has been received, you will receive additional instructions.

Suggest to the American delegation holding the next meeting of the Joint Commission, at which you will announce that the Soviet delegation continues to insist on its proposals of 26 August.

Then point out that the Soviet delegation, in an attempt to speed up the work of the Joint Commission on establishing the Provisional Korean Democratic Government, finds it necessary that the Commission immediately commence the implementation of those American proposals of 12 August and the Soviet proposals of 26 August with respect to which the positions of both delegations are close.

Also propose that the Commission should immediately start reviewing the written proposals submitted by the democratic parties and pubic organizations, and that, after it has reviewed these proposals, it should start developing the structure of the Provisional Korean Democratic Government, as well as local government bodies (the Provisional Regulation), political platform, the procedure for selection of the government apparatus, as well as work on other issues.”

Cde Molotov agrees.

Awaiting your instructions.

MALIK

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 19:46 on Jun 1, 2022

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Look at how on the money US Intelligence was, play by play the korean war happened exactly as the USA planned. From a March 1948 CIA document

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

lmao @ that last sentence

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

ikanreed posted:

This that a Nazi emblem in their user name?

yeah they basically combined two symbols to make that wolfhook that azov loves to use

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'm not sure why liberals are so eager and proud to put their ignorance on display with the "hereditary monarchy" meme but I'm glad y'all do

Democracy is when you lose elections. The more elections you lose, the more democracy.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Democracy is when you lose elections. The more elections you lose, the more democracy.

Democrats.txt?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I got that definition in the modern history thread, maybe my question was dumb tho.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/WilliamYang120/status/1532176106303811584

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

lemme guess he is monologuing to himself again

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
nice skull patch

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
i also like how these think tanks talk as if guns aren't designed to be as easy to use as possible

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its point and click right

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I also don't get it didn't taiwan have mandatory military for men. oh so now you want to learn how to shoot, you all took the civil option huh?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Antonymous posted:

I also don't get it didn't taiwan have mandatory military for men. oh so now you want to learn how to shoot, you all took the civil option huh?

like what the uvalde cops has showed us, ohhh-rahhhism tends to disappear when the rubber finally meets the road

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
one thing the ukraine war has me thinking about is how difficult cities have become to attack because of how much they've developed since WWII.

the siege of sarajevo lasted for years. mosul, with the weight of the U.S. military bombing it to bits, took months of warfare. i'm certain the PRC would win eventually but i could imagine a war being a protracted event.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

one thing the ukraine war has me thinking about is how difficult cities have become to attack because of how much they've developed since WWII.

the siege of sarajevo lasted for years. mosul, with the weight of the U.S. military bombing it to bits, took months of warfare. i'm certain the PRC would win eventually but i could imagine a war being a protracted event.

im pretty sure the PLA is under no pretenses on how difficult it can get

Im also more than sure the PLA won't care about that anyway once taiwan crosses the red line

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I'm not an expert but taking Taiwan through invasion and occupation is still insane and the second it's not insane they'll probably do it. might be never

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Antonymous posted:

I took ROTC in college even when given the choice of going with community outreach because I figured it'd be more organized and regimented rather than any kind of ooo-ra nationalism stuff

what I do find interesting when these topics of "should we implement mandatory military training for national defense?" comes up is that people often critique ROTC for teaching people "how to march and stand in the sun, boring stuff, and not how to shoot a gun" and it seems like people don't really get the incessant drilling is a more important part of soldiery than the gunplay

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Antonymous posted:

I'm not an expert but taking Taiwan through invasion and occupation is still insane and the second it's not insane they'll probably do it. might be never
i'm still going by mao's timeline which was around 100 years when he talked to kissinger around 1970. too many counter-revolutionaries in taiwan, he said, and it'd be better if the U.S. held it for awhile.

but they'd settle it eventually. and will fight for it.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

I took ROTC in college even when given the choice of going with community outreach because I figured it'd be more organized and regimented rather than any kind of ooo-ra nationalism stuff

what I do find interesting when these topics of "should we implement mandatory military training for national defense?" comes up is that people often critique ROTC for teaching people "how to march and stand in the sun, boring stuff, and not how to shoot a gun" and it seems like people don't really get the incessant drilling is a more important part of soldiery than the gunplay

lol if you think conscription anywhere isn't classic NIMBY

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Soviet urban warfare procedures following Stalingrad were to never enter a room without chucking in a grenade first.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Palladium posted:

im pretty sure the PLA is under no pretenses on how difficult it can get

Im also more than sure the PLA won't care about that anyway once taiwan crosses the red line

It is more I doubt the PLA would take a Ukraine approach to Taiwan in the first place even if they were pressed. It would probably be more of a protracted siege/blockade with the PLAN/PLAAF sealing the island off, and then basically using time to their advantage. Also, if push comes to shove, the PLA could progressively dismantle the ROC's military and infrastructure to the point they wouldn't be able to really resist. It isn't that fun to think about, but I don't know any reason they would go for the Normandy route and get bogged down in urban fighting.

Hell, land-based s-400 systems could cover all of Taiwan's air space on their own, and to be honest, even if the US marshaled the fleets etc...the PLA can also cover the seaways around Taiwan from land.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 10:00 on Jun 2, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

It is more I doubt the PLA would take a Ukraine approach to Taiwan in the first place even if they were pressed. It would probably be more of a protracted siege/blockade with the PLAN/PLAAF sealing the island off, and then basically using time to their advantage. Also, if push comes to shove, the PLA could progressively dismantle the ROC's military and infrastructure to the point they wouldn't be able to really resist. It isn't that fun to think about, but I don't know any reason they would go for the Normandy route and get bogged down in urban fighting.

Hell, land-based s-400 systems could cover all of Taiwan's air space on their own.

I agree - trying to take Taiwan via urban warfare would be incredibly destructive, which is why I don't think the PLA is going to do anything like it.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

yeah that was my point. no fly zone and blockade, demand control of as much infrastructure as you can, and then fight an insurgency rather than a hostile organized army/state.

but to do that you need the USA to stay out of it. hence the insane mantra of *taiwan is china, its an internal chinese affair* over and over

I don't know anything though I'm a fat nerd. but that's what I would do lol

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

I agree - trying to take Taiwan via urban warfare would be incredibly destructive, which is why I don't think the PLA is going to do anything like it.

Admittedly, I think a blockade would still be messy even if the PRC let in humanitarian supplies, the entire Taiwanese economy would collapse and I am sure there wouldn't be a lot of love for the mainland. It is probably it is a last-ditch effort (that said I think the Ukrainian invasion was also pretty last-ditch).

Antonymous posted:

yeah that was my point. no fly zone and blockade, demand control of as much infrastructure as you can, and then fight an insurgency rather than a hostile organized army/state.

but to do that you need the USA to stay out of it. hence the insane mantra of *taiwan is china, its an internal chinese affair* over and over

I don't know anything though I'm a fat nerd. but that's what I would do lol

Admittedly, I wonder how much this is about actually urban warfare itself but recruiting guys are really jazzed about the concept and want to wear some cool patches. (Average Taiwanese conscripts probably have nothing to do with the military ever again.)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
however it shakes out i'd expect the PLA to fight to the end and i'm certain of that

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Nah it's going to handover after the troop surround the cities a la the Kabul model, which is the same Peking model in 1949.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Doesn't Taiwan rely on imports for food? Couldn't the PLA just surround them and starve them out.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I don't know about food but Taiwan heavily rely on import energy. So you can do blockade and blow up all the electric transformers (kinda what Russia is doing in Ukraine now).

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
taiwan imports something like 95% of its energy so the pla wouldn't even have to set a foot on the island. just blockade it for a couple of weeks and wait until all the lights go off

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The Shanghai podcast I follow is back to the office in their latest episode. So according to anecdotal evidence Shanghai is coming out of lockdown?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
built up areas are like modern day fortifications. if you have an army that’s large and willing to fight, but are outmatched in terms of firepower and training, drawing a better trained and equipped army into a city to fight you house by house evens the odds.

everyone focuses on the few cases where this was true ( Stalingrad, grozny) and ignores all the other cities in every other war just surrendering because the army had already been destroyed in the field and fortifications are useless without soldiers manning them.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Palladium posted:

lemme guess he is monologuing to himself again

the story linked here is about some random civilians who decided to go shoot some Airsoft guns at a random civilian clubhouse in Taipei.

I think by now posters in this thread should understand that all sexpat writing in Asian countries is just some variation of “ I went to a bar/did some stupid mundane poo poo today but here’s a novella about what this means for Chyna”

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

I don't know about food but Taiwan heavily rely on import energy. So you can do blockade and blow up all the electric transformers (kinda what Russia is doing in Ukraine now).

Taiwan is also a net importer of food as well I believe, but either way without access to refined petroleum, everything is going to break down including any type of agricultural production. (Also, even if the US assembled a fleet to break the blockade, the PLA would have layers of anti-air/anti-ship missiles covering the island and its approaches.)

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

edit: nm, already addressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

The Shanghai podcast I follow is back to the office in their latest episode. So according to anecdotal evidence Shanghai is coming out of lockdown?

yeah