Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I will play DNF Duel again if Specter has whatever that reverse grip parry thing is from her DFO moveset is because it would be very funny if I can do Azami-style guard cancels against all these button-mashing lunatics playing Berserker or Striker or Hitman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
DNF is rad and you nerds should play it because it is cool and good and will make you both cool and good.

Really the biggest problem is that the Top 3 chars in DNF are like exceptionally boring.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i love dbzf just for 16's suicide super and will never not try for it online

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

OneDeadman posted:

DNF is rad and you nerds should play it because it is cool and good and will make you both cool and good.

Really the biggest problem is that the Top 3 chars in DNF are like exceptionally boring.

I got tired of playin it cuz the top 3 characters are really boring and the character I wanna play (Inquisitor) has slow buttons and is MP hungry and has low health for no reason

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzZnTSwOLgo

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
following in the skullgirls pattern:
the first male character dlc for an otherwise all-female game absolutely must be a big body

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

He's got a super that creates a smaller arena and he's grappler. 10/10 will play day 1.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
wonder if they'll let him say 'get over here'

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Real hurthling! posted:

Please god make him a dandy stepper

about that

https://twitter.com/StreetFighter/status/1601758670160699393

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Skypie posted:

I got tired of playin it cuz the top 3 characters are really boring and the character I wanna play (Inquisitor) has slow buttons and is MP hungry and has low health for no reason

I do kinda think this is the big problem. The top characters are all top because they exploit the system mechanics perfectly which makes it kind of boring. It's more fun when the kusoge has top tiers because they have one part of the game they excel at, rather than being good at everything

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

I've got a friend that loving hates Dee Jay and is mad they're trying to make him cool. I was already planning on playing him just to needle my bud, this kinda cements it. It was like him or Manon, and this moves the needle towards him.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 11, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I do kinda think this is the big problem. The top characters are all top because they exploit the system mechanics perfectly which makes it kind of boring. It's more fun when the kusoge has top tiers because they have one part of the game they excel at, rather than being good at everything

i dont think hitman is op cus of system mechanics lol
he's op because under 33% hp he gets a safe on block dp that leads to touch of death combos

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
also whoever thought that Berserker's BIGG SUCC should hit from the top of the screen to the bottom in a game where there's no air block should be publicly flogged :colbert:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
berserker owns though and isn't even op
his nasty 'infinite' blockstrings have actually challengable gaps and cost him hp to do unlike striker and swiftmaster who can checkmate you into a guardbreak+50% with a gapless string from full guard meter on any blocked hit
unless people discovered nasty new stuff since i stopped playing idk

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/StreetFighter/status/1601388958247800833

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
is this like granblue versus's hosed up sidescrolling beatem up mode wtf

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

is this like granblue versus's hosed up sidescrolling beatem up mode wtf

It's Final Fight 2022

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

He’s got fakeouts on both his fireball and the sway, I love it

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i wish sf6 didnt plya like it did bc i rly like the char designs

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

OneDeadman posted:

this man is correct

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i picked lost warrior as obviously the coolest character in dnf but then got kinda bored because he has like 0 non gimmick ways to apply pressure or open someone up so all your wins just come from people not knowing the matchup
however it really owns when someone jumps at what they think is a safe distance and you get to ToD them from full screen, or they leave a gap in their blockstring that they think is safe due to spacing and then you teleport over their head to make them whiff and get a full combo

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Dec 11, 2022

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

i picked lost warrior as obviously the coolest character in dnf but then got kinda bored because he has like 0 non gimmick ways to apply pressure or open someone up so all your wins just come from people not knowing the matchup
however it really owns when someone jumps at what they think is a safe distance and you get to ToD them from full screen, or they leave a gap in their blockstring that they think is safe due to spacing and then you teleport over their head to make them whiff and get a full combo

hes a weird character whose design is vaguely incongruent but mostly because his defensive options are so horrible. gimmick zoner character who also has weird offensive/movement options - nothing's particularly 'scary' if they play patient but one mistake anywhere on the screen means instant death and like... it's a fighting game so of course you can force mistakes

in the scope of how well he controls the screen and his offense he's fairly scary, it's just he has the outright worst defensive options in the game since he's of the height to get IOH'd while also having 10f jabs and no DP or frame 1 counter. he just Dies if he has to block because of how disparate it is and how easily the good characters get back in after being GC'd since he also has really wack GC frame data (his is barely plus iirc, so nothing like hitman or striker GCing you and instantly going into offense)

like when you consider 'how does he open people up or apply pressure' you gotta remember he has a move that makes him like +9 or 11 or some poo poo (the stabby stabs) and he can alternate between a bunch of stupid gimmicks if you're tryin to look for it (or just do nothing) and either throw them to death or guard break them

you can vaguely consider it in the same scope as say, kunoichi's offense - it's less the nature of a high speed mixup like berserker's convert and more like 'i guess ill throw them or just do stupid gimmicks until they decide to get hit'

i'm very curious to see how the big patch changes him up because if his cr.a was say, 6f and he had a real dp or even if his general movespeed was much faster then he would be a loving menace in the scope of the current state of the game

like, dash throw as him is already scary enough but since it looks like they're generally raising the overall power level of characters in the game while lowering the damage/guard damage it'll be interesting to see how they account for his design which relies so heavily on the scare factor of loving up into actually eating 80-100% because you didn't block 6C from fullscreen

anyways my actual belief is that DNF is too tame at a design level in terms of how offense/defense is built but has a LOT of bullshit which makes losing in it for most folks wildly unfun. the big patch functionally nerfing damage (all chars getting more HP) and massively reducing guard damage (everyone is getting 50% more guard bar minimum) changes the way a lot of interactions work in terms of threat and the vid already showed a few examples of how they're working around that (berserker guard break not being as much of a threat but he can combo off command throw now, for example) so offense/defense are more dynamic

the buffed guard cancel i'm also curious about since guard cancel is actually absurdly strong on hitman/striker (like, blindingly stupid - it's near impossible to attack them already bc their DPs and then their GCs functionally enable them to get a free mixup off YOUR offense)

there's a lot of room for them to go buckwild since the game is functionally dead - i hope they use it to really go nuts with the game and do some real 8ing poo poo instead of the weird 'strive style' contained design that makes the frustrating/limited parts of the game more notable

i enjoy the game regardless but i'm tryin to see them really just go off since nobody's playing which hopefully means they got nobody stoppin them

edit:
also put hitman in strive i want to see these loving baby weaklings suffer vs a REAL character

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 11, 2022

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Because I am Old (and currently half delirious with covid) I keep reading DNF as Duke Nukem Forever and imagining John St John yelling "shoryuken!"

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Fereydun posted:

edit:
also put hitman in strive i want to see these loving baby weaklings suffer vs a REAL character

that's just what every Nagoriyuki button looks like tho

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I know LW's 236M is +9 and hits anywhere on screen but it's also insanely slow at 30f, so realistically you are mostly not gonna force them to block it while in range to push any normals afterwards, or if you do you are leaving a big obvious gap for them to hit you out of your startup. it also costs a lot of meter (like 60) so you can't throw it out willy-nilly in pressure especially as LW, a character who is super mana dependent to get good combo damage and also mana dependent on defense due to lacking a decent jab and needing to rely more on GC.
mostly I used it midscreen or further to make them block or catch them jumping. best I could do at that distance is like 236M into his 5S crossthrough dash, or 2B 5S, but again he has no 'real' pressure after making you block 5S -- it's unsafe if not canceled, but his main cancel options are just 4S air teleport (can be reacted to and antiaired), 6S orb to frametrap (insanely punishable if you just hold block) or another 236M for more plusframes, actually pretty decent except for the fact that it costs meter (and its startup is still jabbable if he's close enough after the 5S)
i definitely did get some really long blockstrings full of bullshit tricks but mostly those were just against intermediate players who didn't know to antiair the teleport, because as soon as he can't get a free reset (and overhead) with 4S he loses like 90% of his pressure options.

236M from fullscreen into a slightly delayed 6S frametrap to catch them walking forward after the blockstun ends when all your other moves are outta range is also a really funny trick that works on everyone once

I just wish he had some way to sneak in a throw after making people block something, but the only way he can really do it is if they let him get away with a 4S teleport since nothing else leaves him close enough to try.
doing a sneaky 5S conversion throw is also cool but you need conversion for that

LW also can't really zone because his two ranged attacks are (1) the swords, very good and plus but slow and too meter-expensive to use as a primary neutral tool, and (2) the orb, insanely scary to get hit by but very minus and punishable even from a good distance away if people know the MU (it's like -18 in a game where half the cast has fullscreen buttons). also 5M to instantly kill anyone who ever tries to jump anywhere on screen but people learn to not jump pretty quickly.
he's more of like a "good neutral" character I guess where he never really wants either player to be blocking, he just wants to push big buttons and hope you run into them.

e: lw does have some real cool non-fake stuff though
my favorite is probably instant air j.M. sadly a mid so it can't be used for low/high mix but it can lowcrush stuff like kuno's 2A and beats all throws and throw techs for a huge juicy combo. it can even ToD with awakening which means attempting to finish off a 1% hp lw with a throw after almost perfecting him can lead to you instantly losing the game. owns
mostly just a defensive tool because he has almost no way to force a throw attempt though, besides like meaty 5A

Skypie posted:

alright but dig this: that fullscreen button does crumple stun into a full combo on hit, is safe on block, and he can cancel any special move including his unsafe dp into it for practically free meaning it's literally always on the table.
he can only use it at low hp but once you've got a hitman at low hp he is just going to randomly DP every gap forever and after blocking 4 of them and being unable to punish you'll get hit by the fifth and deleted

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 11, 2022

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

flatluigi posted:

wonder if they'll let him say 'get over here'

He's got the MUDAMUDAMUDA stand rush punch so we're halfway there (Seitz was DIO's VA in the dub of JJBA)

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

alright but dig this: that fullscreen button does crumple stun into a full combo on hit, is safe on block, and he can cancel any special move including his unsafe dp into it for practically free meaning it's literally always on the table.
he can only use it at low hp but once you've got a hitman at low hp he is just going to randomly DP every gap forever and after blocking 4 of them and being unable to punish you'll get hit by the fifth and deleted

yeah I hated playing against Hitman because all of his stupid moves have a billion active frames and reach across the screen and then his Awakening effect making his DP safe on block so you're literally just trying to never press a button against him in a way that he can DP you for a TOD was lame

fuckin Swift Master can juggle you for 40 hits but people auto-teching out of Inquisitor's combos after like 7 hits drove me nuts

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

LW stuff

I just wish he had some way to sneak in a throw after making people block something, but the only way he can really do it is if they let him get away with a 4S teleport since nothing else leaves him close enough to try.
doing a sneaky 5S conversion throw is also cool but you need conversion for that

yeah he's the among the worst characters in the game for a lot of reasons lol
the fact that 6s is so expensive and slow is real but it's still functionally similar to how a lot of the game's offensive is designed in terms of playing chicken with followups and still on the more effective side relative to a lot of the cast.
really since the game overall has pretty tame options on offense/defense him simply having those kinda options is mad real - usually what i see the only NA LW still playin' consistently do is just do the game of chicken off of 2b rather than 5c due to the stuff you were talkin' about. though i do see some funny poo poo where they do 5c from super close and end up crossing through so far that 5c->6m can't actually be punished by a large amount of the cast and the opponent just gets counterhit into eating poo poo

the scope of like, 'sneaking in a throw' isn't too bad for him honestly because the threat is that if you decide to challenge and he calls that out you loving Die but his movespeed and button speed just makes it awkward. that and the payoff for throws being so bad means that it's not as scary to just take the throw a bunch vs him in the same vein as say, troubleshooter's offense (due to how suffocating TS neutral/corner situation is). you would think a guy who's floating would zoom but he's got pretty mediocre speed overall which is a real shame.

honestly even though it'd really gently caress up the game's intentional design i wish they'd just like, increase the movespeed by 50% or some poo poo just 'cuz fast movement and big buttons is always gonna be fun

Skypie posted:

this is your god??

he is like baby, watch this

jokes aside i do think hitman would dumpster the entirety of the strive cast just due to design differences, specifically that i don't think anyone in strive actually has an answer to his IOH being unbelievably plus and only have a 1f gap in it for some unfathomable reason. like yeah they can airblock and he can't but everything about him is just so heinous

edit:
thinking about it i'm almost certain hitman can actually punish nago on block from fullscreen by frame data/range alone 100% of the time into true oki lmao god i can't believe pre-patch swift was STILL more hosed than him by so many magnitudes

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 11, 2022

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Fereydun posted:

yeah he's the among the worst characters in the game for a lot of reasons lol
the fact that 6s is so expensive and slow is real but it's still functionally similar to how a lot of the game's offensive is designed in terms of playing chicken with followups and still on the more effective side relative to a lot of the cast.
really since the game overall has pretty tame options on offense/defense him simply having those kinda options is mad real - usually what i see the only NA LW still playin' consistently do is just do the game of chicken off of 2b rather than 5c due to the stuff you were talkin' about. though i do see some funny poo poo where they do 5c from super close and end up crossing through so far that 5c->6m can't actually be punished by a large amount of the cast and the opponent just gets counterhit into eating poo poo

the scope of like, 'sneaking in a throw' isn't too bad for him honestly because the threat is that if you decide to challenge and he calls that out you loving Die but his movespeed and button speed just makes it awkward. that and the payoff for throws being so bad means that it's not as scary to just take the throw a bunch vs him in the same vein as say, troubleshooter's offense (due to how suffocating TS neutral/corner situation is). you would think a guy who's floating would zoom but he's got pretty mediocre speed overall which is a real shame.

honestly even though it'd really gently caress up the game's intentional design i wish they'd just like, increase the movespeed by 50% or some poo poo just 'cuz fast movement and big buttons is always gonna be fun

this is your god??

he is like baby, watch this

jokes aside i do think hitman would dumpster the entirety of the strive cast just due to design differences, specifically that i don't think anyone in strive actually has an answer to his IOH being unbelievably plus and only have a 1f gap in it for some unfathomable reason. like yeah they can airblock and he can't but everything about him is just so heinous

lol ya mostly being facetious and Hitman has some truly egregious hitboxes. but it's like I said with how a lot of stuff just goes to the top of the screen for no discernible reason in DNF. I had fun with it! I just wish they hadn't waited 6 months for a balance patch when it was clear the game was bleeding way sooner. especially cuz I had irl friends playing it but they stopped when they got bored of the game being trashy in the wrong way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

two new characters confirmed for type lumina, they're both from fate/grand order (ushiwakamaru and edmond dantes)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i will say in dnfd ranked in the first month or two i still robbed a lot of people with LW. he is like the least popular character by a big margin and tons of people in ranked just don't know the matchup at all. combine that with the ability to swing matches hard off of a single touch and you've got a recipe for grand larceny. there were even people who didn't use the guard button and let me get free fake crossup hits in a game where you are immune to crossups
but when I ran into the rare people who actually knew what was up, blocked all his poo poo and knew when to punish/challenge it just felt kinda depressing and suddenly way more limited in terms of what he could do

e:

Endorph posted:

two new characters confirmed for type lumina, they're both from fate/grand order (ushiwakamaru and edmond dantes)

neat! are they still giving all dlc away for free for some reason?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the reason theyre giving the dlc away for free is the game the two characters are from

https://twitter.com/KaroshiMyriad/status/1601893016217976832 here they are btw

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i wonder how many fighting games you would have to add together to reach the revenue of FGO, it's made billions so far

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

One day my pal Satsuki will return.......

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh come on

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

One day my pal Satsuki will return.......
since the second half of the tsuki remake is gonna have a route for her shes probably being held back. cause either theyd have to spoil it or theyd have to make her moveset not have much to do with things she does in the eventual game, neither of which sound like great ideas

otoh ryougi seems like shed be free

but yeah idk, theyre hard up for character choices given the situation the tsuki remake is in so im fine with this

Endorph fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Dec 11, 2022

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
More Fate characters and still no Jalter or Mordred, smdh

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Skypie posted:

More Fate characters and still no Jalter or Mordred, smdh

You're basic

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I’m honestly shocked they haven’t added any Mahoyo characters yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Add Da Vinci, make me want to update my trans fighting game characters video.