Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Accordion Man posted:

Who wants to bet that Cent sacrifices all those orphans and that's why Two goes insane?

I dunno, I think Two wouldn't still be head over heels with him if he pulled a stunt like that.

Now, it might make more sense for One and/or Three to off the kids instead, and Two responds by going nuts and gutting one or both of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

No, don't say that. Even if it's pretty much as likely to happen as heat rising I don't want to see the pair cry. Now loco murder spree like the Punisher: Couple Edition I can enjoy that.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Bufuman posted:

I dunno, I think Two wouldn't still be head over heels with him if he pulled a stunt like that.

Now, it might make more sense for One and/or Three to off the kids instead, and Two responds by going nuts and gutting one or both of them.

:crossarms: Okay, I can see Three, but One? You're gonna have to explain the train of logic that brought you to that station.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode XLVIII: This is a Story About Protecting Those That You Love

Music: Aethervox

We have moved onto the Land of Sands between scenes for another campfire break. Hey, Two... Cent... Don't you two kind of live in this region? Why are you two camping out in a dank ruin? Just asking. Seems strange is all.

Whatever for, my lady?
They say if two people have the same crease in the center, they're fated to be lovers!
Oh? Why even bother looking?
Huh?
We are united by destiny, my lady. No matter what our palms say. Otherwise, we would have never met each other to begin with.
If you weren't with me, Cent, I don't know where I'd be.
Impossible.
W-What?
That idea that you and I might not have come together. It's impossible. And it's impossible that we could ever part from each other. You will always have me by your side, my lady.
Oh, Cent... I love you!
And I you, Lady Two.
Oh, call me "Two" when it's just the two of us.
As you wish. And what shall I call you when we are one?
When we're... OH! Hey! Stop embarrassing me!
You know, Cent... if I wasn't an Intoner, and you weren't my disciple... we'd still be total soul mates... Right?

Look Two, we didn't have it in the budget to animate any palm readings. You'll take your two stock campfire animations and like it! Now then, let's see what Cent has to say if we talk to him directly instead of staring longingly at a camp fire.

The children in the orphanage, you mean?
Yeah. They can be kinda picky sometimes. And we had to leave them at the Cathedral City when we went out like this, you know?
Are you concerned they might not like it over there? Or that they're causing too much trouble for Lady One's people?
Yeah, both! I dunno. I'm just worried, you know?
Well, you shouldn't be. I know "genius", and those kids are all pretty sharp. Plus, that underground cathedral where they're staying looks really comfy.
Yeah... I hope so.
Regardless of that, I"m sure they all miss you terribly, Lady Two.
It just makes me feel lonely. You mind if I cry a little?
Of course not. My arms are always open to you.

We can now begin the mission proper. Selecting the option to continue causes a letter to seemingly materialize from the ether into Cent's hands. Or maybe it was brought by a very small carrier pigeon. I wonder how disciples would feel about that. :v:

Music: Silence

It seems something bad is happening in the Cathedral City.
Something bad!? A-Are the orphans all right!?
They should be--they're holed up deep underground. And they've got a squadron of enhanced soldiers guarding them, so...
"They should be" isn't good enough, Cent! We have to go check on them right now!

What's the most that could happen in the week interval between missions? I'm sure it's fine. Two, you're a worrywart.

But there's a limit to how much can actually be protected. Such a simple concept... But back then, I was incapable of understanding.

Verse 3: Destined Love
Music: Corroscience ~ Battleground

We quickly rejoin Cent and Two back in the heart of Cathedral City on the hillside path leading up toward the city's namesake. I want to say this is the only time this map ever gets used again. Putting it on the lower end of the Drakengard 3 map recycling spectrum.

Our goal is to reach the makeshift orphanage apparently set-up in the catacombs beneath the cathedral. Sorry kids, getting stuck in Auntie One's basement is just how she rolls while babysitting. Not that One is around today. She is off... somewhere doing... something. Probably training that Brother One idiot. For that matter, where the hell is Decadus? He was the one informing Two and Cent of a crisis in Cathedral City in the first place. There are some holes in this narrative here...

So remember the "Enhanced Soldiers" Three had attack Mikhail and Zero back before summoning her Rave Doll army in Chapter 3 of the original timeline? The stumbling zombie variety that did nothing but moan and weakly shuffle toward Mikhail ineffectually before they were all immolated? Yeah... this area is lousy with those zombie soldiers. Turns out Cathedral City had a minor zombie holocaust a month after Zero's first rampage. Cuz why not?

What... What happened to the Cathedral City?
Cent, answer me!
I... I don't know.
Where are my soldiers?
If the Cathedral guard is missing, then what about the orphans...?
To the Cathedral! Hurry!

The zombified enhanced guard's only abilities are slowly stumbling toward Two and making the weakest attempt and bopping her on the head. It barely hurts and you really have to be paying a lax amount of attention to ever get hit by it. On the other hand, all the enhanced soldiers go down in just a few hits. To say they're of little threat is an understatement.

Many armored husks put out of their misery later...

Further up the hill the undead skeletons of those unable to maintain a fleshy zombie form have risen alongside a handful of spirits. It's a bad weekend to vacation in Notspain.

I've never seen enemies like this! I can't stand it... I can't STAND it!
Lady Two, please! Calm yourself!

Really, c'mon. We haven't even gotten to anything that horrific yet. Besides, you have seen the undead before. What about those two undead gigantes last mission with the flayed skin? That was way more grotesque than Jeffrey and his friends here.

Several smashed skeletons later...

The orphans! Cent!
I swear they will be safe. And so will you, Lady Two.
If anything happened to those kids, I'd... I'd...

It's a rough climb lousy with moaning enhanced soldier hordes and a few skeleton lancer captains taking advantage of the new surge of undead troops to rally behind their cause. Around this point some of the slightly less braindead soldiers have a bit to say to the lovebirds cutting through their ranks.

Grraah...
Werah... We're sorry... Urgh...
K-K-Kiiiiill garrahhat...
Y-You... YOU! C-Cent!
Tigharraaah haha...
H-H-Hold... GRAH!
L-Lady Two! I... th-th-throow you upon my m-m-meeeeeercy!
Lady Twooooooooaaaaah! Ahhhhhhh!

At the top of the hill we reach the Cathedral, which is surrounded by several waves of enhanced soldiers that must all be slain before we can secure the area and advance into the cathedral proper. The first wave is ten zombie troops strong.

I may have made them... less than normal.
...What?
I reinforced them with the power of your song. That... may be why.
No!

Raaagh! Ruuuuuhhhh ruuuuuuuun!
Goooooo... Faaaaaaall ugggh...
Cent... Spaaare usssss...

Cent... CENT! I think you may have done gone and goofed here, Cent. I think you might gone and goofed really bad, birdbrain!

Ten dead botched enhanced soldiers later, a demand to Old Yeller another ten more arises...

So everyone's a monster now? Because of... my song? :stare:
It's too early to say. Besides, this is my fault. I'm the one who borrowed your song's power. None of this is your doing, my lady.
What am I gonna do? It's all my fault! IT'S ALL MY FAULT!
Lady Two, please get a hold of yourself!

Lady... Two... Ahhhh! Arrrrgh...
Nooooooot ughaaaaaggain!
HeeeeEEEEEeeelp meeeeeEEEeeeeeeEEEE!

Another ten of Cent's gently caress-ups put out to pasture. But don't look now! Another fifteen have shuffled into the front yard of the Cathedral to take their places.

They were all kind, gentle people! Why did this have to happen...? ...Why, Cent? Why...?
...Lady, Two.

Haaaarrrstop iiiiit...
...Let... me... heheheaaaaheh!
We are the legion of... of... Twwwooorrrraaaahhhggh!

Alright that's fifteen more sent to a second death thanks to Cent. Howabout you two kids give us another twenty for the road, eh?

I'd rather die than kill all of these innocent people...
Two! Please! If you don't fight, I am going to die!
<chokes tears> Cent...

Lady Two... Ehehehehe...
W-W-Wait! Stooooop!
I-I'll goooo... I'll diiiiiie.
Raaaaaaaaarrrrrrgh!

Taking the last twenty batch of enhanced soldiers will mark the end of the horde outside the Cathedral. That wasn't so bad, right?

We... We have to get to the children!

Now, now. I know what you're thinking. It's Drakengard. We're going to find a basement full of butchered, dead orphan children. Maybe that's exactly what will be down there. Maybe not... Tune in next time to find out! :unsmigghh:

Video: Two's Prologue: Verse 3 Highlight Reel

Early Two Concept Art

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

W.T. Fits posted:

:crossarms: Okay, I can see Three, but One? You're gonna have to explain the train of logic that brought you to that station.

Mostly the fact that One was very likely killed by Two (we didn't actually see it, but I don't think anyone but another Intoner could've managed it). Three is debatable, we don't know if it was One or Two that did her in. As for One's potential motive, I have no idea, but if I turn out to be right, it probably involves reasons that haven't been covered by the story yet. My best guess at the moment is that Two was more dedicated to the orphans than whatever One wants the sisters to do, so One killed them to remove the distraction. It seems like the kind of thing that would occur in Drakengard!, I think.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

:stare:

Jesus, Cent.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cent, now you have hosed up.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
Songs can be a scary thing.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Dark Id posted:

This is the story of a certain couple... A couple that strove endlessly to support each other.

Something about Cent in this style of art looks sinister.

No More Heroes and Drakengard 3 both fill the same "kind of a slog, but SO WORTH IT FOR THE BOSS MUSIC" niche for me.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Cent you're not very good at magic.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
...Cent, the gently caress, man? That is a pretty serious gently caress-up.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Are we going to have another level dedicated to killing children?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

And the hammer of Drakengard has fallen with a mighty thud.

Also, Cent...goddamn. :stare:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I want wondering when we'd get to our child murder quota the moment I saw the word "orphans".

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Magically zombified kids coming right up!

I hope I'm wrong :smith:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

ArclightBorealis posted:

Songs can be a scary thing.

Yes but that's mostly because they do whatever the story needs them to do.

But seriously this is why you don't let birds build your armies for you.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Nah, this is clearly another aspect of Cent's genius. By forcing Two to kill these adults, there will be MORE orphans for Two to take care of later!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Ah yes, the "Seven Samurai" approach to romance.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

That's what happens when you steal songs?

I am absolutely terrified about Not-Spain's version of the RIAA is.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I knew the RIAA are demonic beings from another dimension, unfamiliar with the world and don't wish to learn.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Llab posted:

At the very least. Cent mentioned he used Two's song to strengthen the soldiers and cure the orphans. I'm pretty sure that if he can't cast a spell that raises strength or defense properly, he's not going to have much more luck with healing spells. Don't know if the end result is the same, though.

The only saving grace here is that they're probably not going to model anything new for the DLC, so unless there's already something similar in the main game that we haven't seen yet, it's probably not going to be shown.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Steal not that MP3. Copy not that floppy. Lalalala.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Bufuman posted:

My best guess at the moment is that Two was more dedicated to the orphans than whatever One wants the sisters to do, so One killed them to remove the distraction. It seems like the kind of thing that would occur in Drakengard!, I think.

Except that what One wanted the sisters to do was rule their nations well and improve the lives of their people. Two building orphanages and looking after the children is pretty much exactly the kind of thing One would be thrilled about. Killing them because they were a "distraction" would completely contradict One's previously established character.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's okay Two, I'm sure Three can give some suggestions on what to do with children.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I get the feeling the difference between Two in the first timeline and Two in the second was that the first one had Cent keeping her doped up on sedatives. Her 'sickness' was a plain old nervous breakdown from whatever's about to happen. Two went murder-crazy on One in the second timeline because she blames One for whatever happened, and without a nice dose of mother's little helper she went completely spare.

Good job, Cent. You had everything you could possibly want in life, and you hosed it up with zombie magic. Great job, bro.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Of course Cent's attempt to fulfill what Two wanted is going to end in absolute tragedy. Of course.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Ratoslov posted:

I get the feeling the difference between Two in the first timeline and Two in the second was that the first one had Cent keeping her doped up on sedatives. Her 'sickness' was a plain old nervous breakdown from whatever's about to happen. Two went murder-crazy on One in the second timeline because she blames One for whatever happened, and without a nice dose of mother's little helper she went completely spare.

I never even considered that possibility, but that makes a ton of sense actually. That's probably exactly how it was.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Except that what One wanted the sisters to do was rule their nations well and improve the lives of their people. Two building orphanages and looking after the children is pretty much exactly the kind of thing One would be thrilled about. Killing them because they were a "distraction" would completely contradict One's previously established character.

Maximum Drakengard: Cent's healing magic turned them into zombies. One killed them because she had to. Two is in denial about the whole thing and turns on One.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

W.T. Fits posted:

I forgot about most of that. I was mostly thinking of one of her prologue lines that makes me think she may not be entirely benign.

But honestly, I'm just tossing suggestions out there. We'll have to see what happens.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Not to detract from Two's tragic meltdown, nor Cent's incredible capacity for screwing things up, but I have something here that might interest the thread.

So today I decided to clean out my closet. Nothing too bad in there, just been awhile you know? Ah geez though, this pile of old strategy guides fell over. Remember when people actually bought those? Anyway, I'll just put them-

Hey now, what's this? Vintage GMR. Those guys ran a pretty good magazine if I recall correctly. Too bad they had to close up shop, and I mean before even a lot of other magazines had to because who reads magazines anymore. Well, I can probably take a minute to flip through some old memories.

Tasteful centerfold Chewbacca there and HEY if it isn't our old pal Snake. Looks like the Twin Snakes iteration; Metal Gear for people who didn't think Metal Gear was anime enough. Good times, good times.

Wonder what they thought of-

Wait a minute.

Could it be?

Could it be?

It turns out it could.

DRAKENGARD!

A thoroughly :mediocre: 6/10. Guess James Mielke didn't care for Taro Yoko's vision. Andrew Pfister's second opinion ain't too hot either.

GMR posted:

DRAKENGARD
Jerk On Dragoon

On paper, Drakengard would appear to be the supersized love child of such exciting and diverse games as Koei's Dynasty Warriors and Sega's Panzer Dragoon, with a dash of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance thrown in. The disappointing truth, however, is that Drakengard as a whole does not exceed the sum of its parts.

The reason for this is rather simple: None of the game's various segments is better than the source material that inspired it. The Dynasty Warriors bits, for example, may indeed feature a mind-boggling array of weapons to seek out and find, but the combat isn't particularly exciting. Especially when it means looking for pockets of generic enemies to fight. And despite the fact that you're supposedly part of a major conflict (your army is always crying for help), you never see any of your troops.

And then of course you have the Panzer parts, which have you flying around, locking on to masses of enemies (ranging from bats to griffins to, uh, floating blocks) and letting fly with the fiery dragon breath.

The high points of the game come from the mindless but fun strafing sections, which let you bomb thousands of little guys to smithereens, and from the extra characters you can play as. But even these modes are underutilized, offering little more than a momentary diversion from the grind.

The problem with this cycle of distinct game styles is that the game feels more repetitive for it. And since the main character is an unlikable jerk and the supporting characters insipid ("I'm OK. I'm a goddess."), you never really care about what happens to them. In practice, Drakengard offers acceptable action gaming, but it's not likely to set the world on fire.

_James Mielke

OVEN-ROASTED 6/10

Better Than: Dragon Rage
Not As Good As: Dynasty Warriors 4XL
Wait For It: Samurai Warriors

GMR posted:

2nd Opinion

Other than Drakengard being a conglomeration of dull gameplay, Square Enix disappoints with surprisingly lackluster presentation and storytelling. "I'm OK. I'm a goddess?" That's like having Yuna say "OK. I'll save the world. Whatever." Come on. Put some heart into it.

_Andrew Pfister
Let's just finish our little flashback with that little footnote up there squeezed between screenshots.

GMR posted:

The one major thing Drakengard has going for it is that it boasts some beautiful graphics and slick animation. Too bad the gameplay isn't up to snuff.
Drakengard!

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 1, 2015

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
This actually was sort of foreshadowed, if you paid attention during Path B.

The Dark Id posted:

Nngh... gyaaaaah! Lady Threeeee!
The forest... Lady Three's forest...
Without the protection of Lady Three's song, their minds have shattered.
Ha ha ha! That's so drat sad... I LOVE IT!
The flower... The fog... The fog and the flower. Three... Three! Ghahahaha!
I can't... go on...
I'm gonna lose my lunch. Nnngh...
Lady Threeeeeeee!
The song is gone... Aheehehe...

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Being forced to choose between killing orphans or letting Cent die, something like that?

Come to think of it, Drakengard 1 had a child soldier camp attack, didn't it?

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

So Notspain's version of the RIAA is Danbull?

Also, Cent, have you considered putting in an application to Umbrella Inc.? You'd be perfect circa 1998!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

50 Cent: Zeds on the Sand.

Bad Seafood posted:

Drakengard!
Does their review of Firefighter FD18 mention the game had fire bosses?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

SelenicMartian posted:

Does their review of Firefighter FD18 mention the game had fire bosses?
It does.

Fire angels too, apparently.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Hahaha, Cent you loving idiot, don't mess with the arcane when you can't even live up to Wikipedia's standards.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Llab posted:

I hope I'm wrong :smith:

I'm expecting that Catacombs boss from Symphony of the Night but, you know.
Drakengard!

:suicide:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Fabulousvillain posted:

I'm expecting that Catacombs boss from Symphony of the Night but, you know.
Drakengard!

:suicide:

Projectile zombie orphans? I can see them going for that. Taro Yoko is still aiming for the world record for most ways to screw over the children. Still, :gonk:

Lopside
Jan 10, 2010
woah yikes I am very late to be finding this thread just now but I'm so happy it's happening! I don't usually post often but just wanted to pop in and say that the original Drakengard LP thread was my life way back as a pizza-faced teenage goon and got me almost worryingly obsessed with this weird-rear end group of games. A friend and I tried our hand at some Nier cosplay about a month ago for anime midwest last month--if it weren't for TDI i'd probably be a well adjusted normie instead of well... a 23 year old still haunted by flying cannibalistic baby nightmares who spends way too much time making paper mache skeleton heads from depressing B games nobody played. The con was super fun, ran into a surprising number of Yoko Taro fanatics--a lot of whom also got converted back during the old Drakengard thread of yesteryear. Anyway here i am as a severely drunk Emil riding chicago public transit, hope this gives at least somebody on here a bit of a kick!

my friend went as Kaine and it was so dope but I'll have to ask her permission before uploading any photos here because, uh... well... you know. (although you can kinda see a vague reflection of her in a train appropriate t-shirted version behind me)

So on board to read the rest of this thread, I actually just made my way through D3 myself and I'm excited to see some of the more obscure supplementary material you guys are so good at digging up (and a few of the sister DLC's I was too cheap to pony up for...)

Now if i could only figure out some way to go as tokyo tower-fied Mikhail next year...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

They say if two people have the same crease in the center, they're fated to be lovers!
Oh? Why even bother looking?
Come on, let's look!

Huh.
:geno:

• Locked thread