Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pretty sure pastrami's trimmed better than brisket for corned beef, so not all that fatty. I can't get a good look since it's in a vacuum pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You could mail it to me, I haven't had good pastrami in two years.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Skavoovee posted:

Make BBQ sauce with it! Peach BBQ sauce is super delicious, especially if you use bourbon in it! I don't have one handy, but there's a zillion recipes on google, I'm sure you can find one you like.

I wound up with 13 jars of blackberry-peach jam, 12 jars of burnt peach jam, and 27 jars of chunky peach chutney, all in 8-oz jars. I also have about three cups of crushed peach left that I chucked in the freezer, and four cups of peach nectar that drained off the fruit while it was waiting to be used.

It took five hours, and I forgot to eat dinner, but I feel accomplished.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

You could mail it to me, I haven't had good pastrami in two years.

Oh, don't get me wrong: Tomorrow I'm making a sammitch that'll put the Carnegie Deli to shame. I just wanted some ideas for what to do after that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

dis astranagant posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong: Tomorrow I'm making a sammitch that'll put the Carnegie Deli to shame. I just wanted some ideas for what to do after that.

Think of all of us who are thousands of miles from the nearest Jewish deli, and make yourself another god drat sandwich.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Grand Fromage posted:

Think of all of us who are thousands of miles from the nearest Jewish deli, and make yourself another god drat sandwich.

I would like to second this sentiment.

I'm disgusted every time I walk into a place with a sign that says "deli" or "delicatessen" only to find a cafe selling sweets, tea, and coffee.

Is there a decent home option for making your own thin-sliced sandwich meats for sandwiches without buying one of those huge industrial slicers?

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It depends on the cut, but you're almost for sure going to want to sear them, deglaze the pan with something acidic, and then braise them for a while.

Thanks! Turned out great.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

tarepanda posted:

I would like to second this sentiment.

I'm disgusted every time I walk into a place with a sign that says "deli" or "delicatessen" only to find a cafe selling sweets, tea, and coffee.

Is there a decent home option for making your own thin-sliced sandwich meats for sandwiches without buying one of those huge industrial slicers?

You can find pretty cheap mandolins these days for home use, if it's the quick and thin slicing part of it you care about. They work great for vegetables and whatnot but you'd probably have to find a reasonably tough one for meats.

Also I live in Australia and I've never seen a Deli that served anything other than just sliced meats and cheese from inside a supermarket.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I'm just griping about Japan's lovely sandwiches.

Any recommendations for mandolin brands? It's the first I've heard of them -- until now, I thought mandolins were only musical instruments!

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I have a Benriner mandoline (there is an E at the end otherwise it is an instrument) and I am very happy with it. It comes with 3 blades and a useless handguard.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah, don't get taken in by a gigantic flashy steel European model. The plastic simple Benriner is way sharper, more durable, and less likely to flay your fingers because one of the weird parts wasn't locked down correctly.

Also, more portable and waaaay cheaper.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
On a whim I picked up a bag of dried mushrooms I hadn't encountered before at an asian foodstore. They look like this:

Now I'm unsure how to best prepare them. I'm considering mixing them with some thinly sliced beef I have in my freezer, but I'm not sure about how to season the thing and how long to hydrate the damned things. Any suggestions?

Edit: Proper woking is out, by the way. I only have a normal electric glass stove top.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

DekeThornton posted:

On a whim I picked up a bag of dried mushrooms I hadn't encountered before at an asian foodstore. They look like this:

Now I'm unsure how to best prepare them. I'm considering mixing them with some thinly sliced beef I have in my freezer, but I'm not sure about how to season the thing and how long to hydrate the damned things. Any suggestions?

Edit: Proper woking is out, by the way. I only have a normal electric glass stove top.

Those are woodears. Soak em for 10 min or so in hot water, then slice into thin matchsticks. They don't contribute much in terms of flavor but have an awesome crunchy texture.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
What's the best way to prepare them with beef? I'm thinking of making some marinade for the beef with soy, garlic, sherry (as a chinese wine substitute)some chili and maybe ginger, then just fry it up, adding the mushrooma at the end, and serve with noodles. I'm not really at home with asian cooking. Maybe add some veg as well?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

DekeThornton posted:

What's the best way to prepare them with beef? I'm thinking of making some marinade for the beef with soy, garlic, sherry (as a chinese wine substitute)some chili and maybe ginger, then just fry it up, adding the mushrooma at the end, and serve with noodles. I'm not really at home with asian cooking. Maybe add some veg as well?

You don't even have to slice them into matchsticks if you don't want, they can just be eaten as an entire piece. The thing to keep in mind with them is: they have (next to) no flavor by themselves, and you're absolutely right about tossing them in at the end otherwise they don't stay crunchy.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

DekeThornton posted:

Marinate the beef with a bit of cornstarch, dark soy, white pepper, and sherry. Shouldn't be swimming in marinade, just enough to barely coat the beef. Prep the wood ears. You can also cut some onion, bell peppers or other peppers, and bamboo shoots into matchsticks. Mix together a bit more sherry, some black vinegar, sugar, chile paste (such as sambal oelek), and light soy, with a bit of cornstarch. Don't need much sauce, maybe 1/4 cup max. Mince a bit of garlic, ginger, and scallions.

Heat a cast iron or wok as hot as you can get it. Sear the beef and cook to medium, medium rare and reserve. Bring cooking vessel up to temperature again and repeat for all the veg. Then bring up to temp and replace both the meat and the veg and enough sauce to coat.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

The revolution is now! #occupypastrami. :mad:

RazorBunny posted:

I was sure I could use up the entire bushel of peaches I picked yesterday, but after making approx. 3 liters of jam and barely making a dent in the peaches I'm wondering if I bit off more than I can chew. This is a LOT of peaches!

Invite some friends over.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Cheers for the input, Boris and Gravity. I'll report the results after dinner tomorrow.:)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

CuddleChunks posted:

The revolution is now! #occupypastrami. :mad:

Invite some friends over.

Pandora started playing that while I was making peach preserves. I laughed more than I probably should have.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Charmmi posted:

I have a Benriner mandoline (there is an E at the end otherwise it is an instrument) and I am very happy with it. It comes with 3 blades and a useless handguard.

Huh. It's Japanese, I guess from 便利なー ("So useful!" or "Helper").

I was looking over the reviews I could find and they're generally about vegetables and fruits -- is there a specific one I should be looking at for meats?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I own a benriner has anyone ever used it to slice charcuterie? I'm willing to try for science but I only have some nice salami from Boccalone and the Fatted Calf and I don't think my hands will re-grow if I slice them off in a comic meat slicing accident.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Chemmy posted:

I don't think my hands will re-grow if I slice them off in a comic meat slicing accident.

A lot of the pictures I saw of people using them had them wearing oven mitts or something.

I'm imagining you being sucked into a demonic slicer from your fingertip to your wrist, ugh. Thanks.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Is cooking on those pink Himalayan salt slabs a gimmick or does it really add a unique flavor?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

tarepanda posted:

A lot of the pictures I saw of people using them had them wearing oven mitts or something.

I'm imagining you being sucked into a demonic slicer from your fingertip to your wrist, ugh. Thanks.

I'm not convinced an oven mitt would stop a blade and also the loss of control worries me, I'm just curious as to if it works or not.

I don't want to find out it cuts 1/3rd of the way through.

Aradekasta
May 20, 2007
I made too much custard-based ice cream yesterday. The leftovers have been through a couple of freeze-thaw cycles and the resulting ice crystals make the texture kind of unappealing. Can I thaw it out and re-churn it, or will that be worse?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

tarepanda posted:

Those are kevlar gloves. They're not that expensive. If you're cheap, split a pair with your left-handed pal.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Chemmy posted:

I own a benriner has anyone ever used it to slice charcuterie? I'm willing to try for science but I only have some nice salami from Boccalone and the Fatted Calf and I don't think my hands will re-grow if I slice them off in a comic meat slicing accident.

It'll work but you'll need to move the thing you're slicing from side to side to slice it rather than just pushing it through like you could for a potato or carrot or whatever.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

Aradekasta posted:

I made too much custard-based ice cream yesterday. The leftovers have been through a couple of freeze-thaw cycles and the resulting ice crystals make the texture kind of unappealing. Can I thaw it out and re-churn it, or will that be worse?

I remember reading you should be able to re-churn dairy based frozen desserts, but it does not work sorbets. I think it was in a Cooks Illustrated article in one of the last couple issues. Something about how the air is trapped and crystal formation with the dairy because of the high fat and protein content it will make a new matrix of air and ice crystals as it re-churns.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

I'm going to be in Minneapolis-Saint Paul on the first weekend of September. Where should I eat? What should I eat?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Disaster.

I cut my foot on a small piece of broken glass at an inopportune moment while cooking my noodles, beef and wood ear mushroom dish. Which left me with overcooed noodles and a bit of a timing mess with the rest of it. I also forgot to buy sesame oil. I't was ok though, and I liked the consistency of thee wood ears. Next attempt will be much better.

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
I've got a couple of cheeses from Ecuador. They are very salty and the texture is almost like that of mozzarella. I was wondering if it would be ok to freeze them cause I ain't using them all at once.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Guacamayo posted:

I've got a couple of cheeses from Ecuador. They are very salty and the texture is almost like that of mozzarella. I was wondering if it would be ok to freeze them cause I ain't using them all at once.
Are you planning on cooking with them or melting them to serve? If so, it's fine. If you're planning on eating them as is, you might find that the texture suffers. I'd actually expect, as a general rule, for firmer cheeses (like a block of cheddar) to hold up better than looser/runnier cheeses (like brie or camembert). Never tried freezing any hard cheeses (like p. reggiano or pecorino). Simple experiment: take a small portion of it, freeze it overnight, then let thaw and see. Or alternately just eat a lot of cheese (the approach I'd probably take).

That all being said, it will certainly be okay in that it's not dangerous from a food safety perspective.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Cooked beef heart today for the first time. 1" thick strips, 2 minutes on a side. Came out medium well to well done. Guess more heat and less cook time is needed. Such a lean piece of meat!

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.
Razorbunny, you could make a peach vodka infusion that I bet would taste amazing. Also peach cake.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

jkk posted:

I'm going to be in Minneapolis-Saint Paul on the first weekend of September. Where should I eat? What should I eat?

You want to go to Our Kitchen and order whatever your favorite greasy-spoon food is that's on their menu. Just make sure you cholesterol is below 150 before you walk in, because it sure as hell won't be when you walk out. The breakfast I had there remains one of the best I've ever had.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Jenkin posted:

Razorbunny, you could make a peach vodka infusion that I bet would taste amazing. Also peach cake.

We did a bunch of fruit vodkas a few months back and they just sat around not getting used :( I could definitely see the peach nectar I collected being good for making cocktails, though. I chucked it in a plastic tub and froze it, so there's no hurry to use it up.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully somegoon can point me in the right direction. My birthday is coming up this weekend so my girlfriend said she'd try to make me pot stickers because they are awesome and I get them at about any place I eat that will server them to me. As we look for recipes I'm starting to think I haven't been eating pot stickers all these years. The recipes have things in them that I don't remember eating (mostly cabbage). Have I been lied to or can I just not find a good recipe? Anyone have a tried and true pot sticker/gyoza/fried dumpling recipe? Thanks!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

n3rdal3rt posted:

Hopefully somegoon can point me in the right direction. My birthday is coming up this weekend so my girlfriend said she'd try to make me pot stickers because they are awesome and I get them at about any place I eat that will server them to me. As we look for recipes I'm starting to think I haven't been eating pot stickers all these years. The recipes have things in them that I don't remember eating (mostly cabbage). Have I been lied to or can I just not find a good recipe? Anyone have a tried and true pot sticker/gyoza/fried dumpling recipe? Thanks!

They can and usually do contain a bit of cabbage, mostly for texture. As far as tried and true recipe, I cook my jiao zi based on texture and feel. We're you going to use store bought wrappers? If so it's super easy. Just get ground pork (not lean pork). Mix in some minced fresh ginger, garlic, onion, some minced cabbage, scallions, a bit of cornstarch, white pepper, salt, sesame oil, and light soy. Mix thoroughly and keep mixing until the mixture becomes pasty, this will help you get the texture you want. You can also add or exchange shiitake mushrooms, leeks, woodear mushrooms, etc.

If you want to make your own wrappers, it's a bit more tedious. About 3:1 flour to cold water and a bit of salt. Depending on your ambient humidity, you might need more or less water. Mix it up thoroughly, knead it a bit until smooth. Wrap it up and let it rest for a few hours. Then portion off pieces a bit smaller than a golf ball but a bit bigger than those big marble things. Roll into spheres then flatten with your palm. Use a roller to roll into a thin disk and stuff with a portion of meat filling. Crimp the edges depending on :effort: level. You can do just flat, or you can pleat them if you so desire.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Dumplings as found in American Chinese restaurants tend to be something like 98% pork with a bit of onion, garlic, and then some wine/soy sauce.

Japanese gyoza tend to be more like 70% cabbage with a bit of pork, onion, garlic, mirin, and soy sauce.

Depends on what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I haven't bought any sort of non-canned food at Wal-Mart in a long time, but I keep seeing commercials and constant product placement on MasterChef about new steaks they have that you can get your money back on if they aren't fantastic.

I'm very skeptical, but has anyone tried them?