Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

GilliamYaeger posted:

From what Oswald was saying, it was more a reflection of what was already inside Philip's head rather than anything he was deliberately creating. Like a projector hooked up to Philip's brain, as opposed to a puppet show.

Right, and I'm just pointing out that it's showing the worst inside Philip, the thoughts he finds most upsetting to have had at all. As a counterpoint to the presentation of him being an incel, these are things he is ashamed of thinking about his allies because he doesn't actually believe them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Oswald was a shadow, basically, and now Phillip's a stupid-looking boss fight.

Library of Ruina is just Persona 4 if you knew who the murderer was the entire time.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Right, and I'm just pointing out that it's showing the worst inside Philip, the thoughts he finds most upsetting to have had at all. As a counterpoint to the presentation of him being an incel, these are things he is ashamed of thinking about his allies because he doesn't actually believe them.
As much as I appeciate the sentiment, I feel like the actual text disagrees with you:

TeeQueue posted:

Oh, what an unexpected turn of events?!

I…

B-But, master already has a wife and children…

Hahaha! Talk about childish. This is such a typical telenovela we have here!

Shut up… You, don’t you dare insult my two mentors with these false illusions!!!

Pardon? I would never. Isn’t what you’re seeing right now… the putrid scent that you believed to be true in your heart so blindly and obviously? Whether it’s true doesn’t matter! You were so certain about it, too. I don’t get why you could be trying to denounce your own claims now! You’re pausing it at just the right moment like it’s a rerun you’ve watched over and over… There’s got to be a reason.

Shut up, shut the hell up…!
Phillip immediately jumps to NTR with barely any prompting, and Oswald accuses him of believing it to be true with some degree of certainty. And following this he immediately breaks down.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Phillip is a whiny dork and his Monstersona is literally a bunch of crying babies.

Just for this he is dunkworthy

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

GilliamYaeger posted:

As much as I appeciate the sentiment, I feel like the actual text disagrees with you:

Phillip immediately jumps to NTR with barely any prompting, and Oswald accuses him of believing it to be true with some degree of certainty. And following this he immediately breaks down.

Intrusive thoughts are a terrible thing to deal with. For someone with depression, you can know that people care about you and that your life has worth, and yet your brain will spend as much time as it can telling you the exact opposite. Oswald would tell you that you believe the latter with some degree of certainty, and he would be right - there's a part of your brain that absolutely does believe it. It doesn't make it true, and it doesn't make it something that you don't recognize as false.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
As annoying as Philip is, I still feel bad for the guy, between what he got caught up in and Oswald's little attack. I'm kind of wondering if people are trying to paint him as worse than what the Library does just to have some kind of high ground. I do agree his new form is extremely stupid. I liked his E.G.O. form better.

NotteBoy97
Aug 17, 2021

TeeQueue posted:

Library of Ruina is just Persona 4 if you knew who the murderer was the entire time.

The real murderer was society all along

Tonelico
Jul 19, 2022
Poor Philip, you were doomed the moment you ran the first time. At least your theme is pretty good in my books.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

Tonelico posted:

Poor Philip, you were doomed the moment you ran the first time. At least your theme is pretty good in my books.

Was that an intentional pun?

Tonelico
Jul 19, 2022

KobunFan posted:

Was that an intentional pun?

I'd be lying if I said yes. So no, it really wasn't.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

TeeQueue posted:

Insert the Hiimdaisy!Shadow Yosuke "SOUNDS LIKE SOMEONE JUST ORDERED A STUPID LOOKING BOSS" line

Yveltal
Jul 19, 2022

TeeQueue posted:

Makes sense.
Roland's design always makes me think of Adachi

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!

Yveltal posted:

Makes sense.
Roland's design always makes me think of Adachi

But the real question is, does he like cabbages?

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

adachi has more rear end than that

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Dirk the Average posted:

Intrusive thoughts are a terrible thing to deal with. For someone with depression, you can know that people care about you and that your life has worth, and yet your brain will spend as much time as it can telling you the exact opposite. Oswald would tell you that you believe the latter with some degree of certainty, and he would be right - there's a part of your brain that absolutely does believe it. It doesn't make it true, and it doesn't make it something that you don't recognize as false.
Exactly, a lot of times intrusive thoughts are so upsetting because you know they're not right, but you can't will yourself out of fixating on them. The fact he jumped to that scenario at all maybe reveals some implicit biases Phillip has, but everyone has implicit biases absorbed from the world around them, and many people grow past them, but the seeds are still planted in their heads. And even in the intrusive thoughts Phillip has about Yuna and Oscar, the thing he latches onto as a reason it's morally wrong is that Oscar is married, not that Phillip is entitled to Yuna's attention. It's an interesting detail in a scenario that, as gone over, is almost certainly entirely incorrect and is just a result of anxiety and insecurity - the entire thing stems from insecurity over Yuna turning him down and insecurity over Oscar not respecting him, but it morphs and distorts into an entirely different scenario that upsets Phillip in different ways.

Insecurity and anxiety isn't like, a moral failing. Oscar was right to be hesitant about advancing Phillip due to this problem, but that's not actually a commentary on Phillip's skills or talent, and it's a problem that could have been addressed over time. Roland is right that Phillip isn't being given time and keeps being shoved into situations that are making things worse, and that's the thing that turns a mental health flaw into a giant gaping wound regardless of if you like him as a person.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

dervival posted:

adachi has more rear end than that

you're talking nonsense adachi is also a stick

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

MetaMeme posted:

you're talking nonsense adachi is also a stick

does this look like a popcorn machine to you

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

that's just his coat

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

you're just his coat!!!

but yeah they're both sticks

lyoid10
Jul 19, 2022
We talkin p4

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:

lyoid10 posted:

We talkin p4

What does the fourth floor of Pandaemonium, the level 90 raid series in the Critically Acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV, have to do with Library of Ruina?

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.

VinnyDonuts posted:

What does the fourth floor of Pandaemonium, the level 90 raid series in the Critically Acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV, have to do with Library of Ruina?

no, no, p4 is obviously short for part 4, also known as Diamond is Unbreakable. Still not sure what it has to do with Library of Ruina, though?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Nah, it’s phase 4, the part of the update I’m currently banging my head against tonight.

There may be a tutorial involved. :ssh:

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
You're all absurd. We're obviously talking about the super explosive cousin of C4.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
No way, it's the battlebot, p4.

lyoid10
Jul 19, 2022
Nah b4

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

curiousCat posted:

Wow. A wedge. How exciting.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Wow. A wedge. How exciting.

Wedge Office’s Secret Weapon, Revealed

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:

curiousCat posted:

Unfortunately TQ skipped the general reception, Reception of Tombstone, but I can't blame him since it's way too hard. Tombstone just does way too much blunt damage

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Book 34: The Crying Children—Chapter 2

Music: GuestBattle01

Hmhmhmm..!

That doesn't seem like your usual style, Dimi.

That's because I can evolve and adapt. Consider: What's bigger than a single massive die?

A single, somehow more massive die?

Yes! But also, three massive dice.

Yeah, but that'll wind up locking you down, so you'd get more use overall out of—

Sorry! Can't hear you over my THREE! HUGE!! DICE!!!

Just make sure you get them all this time.

Tiphereth, good to see you here!

Yeah, well, these two wouldn't shut up about watching. Something about a destined rival and a rematch…

Anyways, I figured I should make sure you've got someone competent up here.

Speaking of, we've got the analysis of the enemy all done.

Good work! Whatcha' got?

The three children all come with identical stats, and different ways of interfering with our usual playstyle. Unspeaking Child will lock down one of our members every turn (making soloing this fight all but impossible), Unseeing Child will stop us from seeing part of the enemy's page data, and the Unhearing Child stops us from seeing the enemy arrows or redirecting their attacks.

They also all share this ability, which keeps being Staggered from changing their resistances until we block a specific die, which is hidden by Unseeing Child while Unhearing Child stops us from redirecting to force good clashes.

Music: Ominous whispering

It's just like you said, Tylana. We can't see their intentions at all… and I'm having a little trouble moving.

He's been here three times now. It's not that surprising that he's come up with a countermeasure.

I recognize one of those voices. Aren't they those guys we killed?

!! !

Eh? You guys came back to life, did you? Then come on, I'll kill you again.

You must be confused. We definitely won last time.

Beat you so bad you distorted. Which does still make you cooler than Bishop, I guess~

Let's just get to work.

The Crying Children posted:

When I cover my ears, I can only hear my own voice. I can pay full attention to the sounds I make.

If I mistake a gentle voice for something aggressive, it’s their fault for speaking like that. Am I right?

… …

It’s simple. I just don’t have to look, do I? I don’t have to face that darkness.

I’m not hearing anything I don’t wanna hear!

I don’t have to hear to guess what they’re saying. I bet they’re slandering me.

… … …

As our first Distorted guest, The Crying Children have many of the same affectations as the Abnormalities. Nonstandard music, words that pop up over the screen, special background, it's all here.

All three of them will only play Murmur, and since we can't redirect things or see who they're targeting there's not a lot of strategy to be had here.

I focus on the Unspeaking Child first, since Staggering it will give us our full team back. The others get a few extra attacks put on them. This is also a good time to throw out Counter dice, if we have any in hand—because we can't redirect or see enemy arrows, it's very difficult to clash and build our emotion levels otherwise.

This guy's still a new Distortion. It's relatively weak, so take it out while we've got this chance.

This E.G.O should be more than equal to the task. Commencing suppression work.

Just hold on for a minute, Malkuth. We'll free you from whatever effect this thing has.

Second's up! She's free.

Just in time. Thanks, Dimi!

While we couldn't set pages, Malkuth's ability that gives her a bonus Block die still works just fine.

Oh, talking poo poo are ya?! Eat this!

At least the blind one has problems attacking.

And the others aren't that tough! We should be done with this in like, five minutes. Tops!

With the Unspeaking Child Staggered, it may seem like a good idea to go all in on defeating it. However, this would be incorrect. Right now, it's still got its Endured resistances to all damage, and the way to break it is guaranteed to be on one of the two Murmurs the other pair are playing.

Really going for that kill, huh?

First to two, like you said.

Can anyone join, or is this a private thing?

It won't matter, because I'm going to win either way!

Playing additional games while at work is against protocol.

It's fine. There are rules you follow… and rules you "follow."

Best boss ever. You don't even mind that I'm gaming while we work.

You're… gaming?

Well, duh. Why'd you think I was using a robotic body? I've got Fixerman Bleedout Legacy running in parallel to my eyes.

We'll have a talk about your priorities later.

I got this one! He's all broken!

How did you make a move that forceful with a sword that small? :psyduck:

I don't think about the details!

Tiphereth, I require guidance. I think I broke the universe.

What the hell are you talking about?

As I stated: I think I broke the universe.

This effect occurs when we manage to beat the die carrying the effect to change all the Crying Children's weaknesses to Fatal. We got lucky here. :getin:

Hold on, I need a second to see the changes.

No need. The effect was immediate: these guys are made of tissue paper all of a sudden.

Then I've done my job well?

Very well. Good job, ah… Joshua.

Now that the enemies have been Staggered, it's possible to see their intentions, and also the full effects of Murmur.

The 1 Bind isn't particularly impressive, particularly since the enemy can't be redirected half the time anyways. :shrug:

!! !!!

I think it wants to say something.

In suppression work, it's important not to listen to your opponent. Doing so can lead to a loss of sanity.

Good thing that it can't actually speak, then.

I'm sure Bishop knows what it's thinking. They're basically the same guy~

Wanna run that by me again?

I mean, think about it. You're both Fixers, you both run away when you're going to die—

It was a strategy.

Semantics! And hey, you both have painfully obvious crushes on girls who are way too good for you, and also died once.

Don't compare me to any of you bastards! I'm completely different!

What he said! We're entirely different.

Can you really say that if you're agreeing with him, hmm~?

Please. If I'm him, then what are you? That freaky clown?!

Mmmyep. Sounds right.

Guys, that thing hasn't turned into a book. Stop fighting and keep an eye on it, okay?

When we defeat one of the Children, it stays motionless on the ground where it fell. We still get the Emotion Coins from defeating it, so this is just a special defeat animation.

I still beat it. It's a point.

No points until something gets turned into a book.

Lively as ever, huh you guys?

We've already got help, so I'll go ahead and accept it.

Happy Memories is absurd on Yujin, slowly turning any of the page's 4 costs into 0 cost pages that recover 2 Light. This is exactly as busted as it sounds, but it requires a longer fight to pay off.

That one you took out is still motionless. Maybe if you take the other two out, we'll be done here?

I'll give it my best shot!

Then I'll take 'em out in one shot! That'll put me at two points.

What happened to them not counting?

Oh, don't get so caught up in the details.

Malkuth, she's cheating!

Joshua's almost out of hand and Bishop is already EL 2, so I have them sit out this turn. The other three can grab the Emotion Coins for fighting these two.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I took both of them. That means I win, right?

Well… it's just…

So, what's my prize?

A sense of pride and accomplishment. Also, you can rub Dimi's nose in it.

I'll have to pass. You're all my important coworkers now.

The suppression has concluded.

So… what happens now that the battle's over?

Oh, you don't know?

That's when the battle begins!

We got rising temperatures! Everybody, be ready for anything!

They're strong… too strong, like always.

What?! I can't hear you!

… ……

Useless… useless! Whatever! Let's just do that thing!

Right. We can't win as we are.

:siren: Music: And Then Is Heard No More

Then let our powers combine. We shall block out this world.

What's that… a dirge?

Perhaps he's mourning all he's lost…

There's no point in thinking about it. Our duty is to rip it to pieces.

The Crying Children posted:

Seeing, hearing, and speaking evil are all deeds that I can consciously prevent myself from doing.

However, that alone won’t purge all evil from the world.

A prudent sight capable of distinguishing good from evil is needed.

In contrast to sharing joy with others, sympathizing with the sorrow of others is certain to be an unduly shallow exercise.

Only I can soundly feel the pain of the sorrow I am wallowing in.

Turn a blind eye to all that tries to hurt me.

Turn a deaf ear to words that will lead me down the wrong path.

Turn a mute mouth to unnecessary evil.

And last of all, act not. Make myself happy that way.

What does goodwill mean to me.

No one’s going to cry on my behalf even if I’m sad.

I don’t want to hear anything. I don’t want to see anything, or speak anything…

The Crying Children is the second form Phillip will take in this fight, the sum of all of the tiny angels flying around. In this form, he's got new stats and abilities.

Tiphereth, does this one have any kind of fire shield we should be aware of?

Nothing like that. You're clear.

Great. Everyone, no need to hold back!

The Crying Children is a Shimmering boss with relatively simple rules—oh, and when we manage to defeat it, it'll break back up. This fight is long, easily longer than any other non-Realization fight we've had in the game so far. Because of that length, it's also easily beaten with the use of Hauler passives—we haven't brought any with us for that reason.

In this phase, two of The Crying Children's dice will always play Distorted Illusion. Its attacks are fairly powerful for this point in the game, and it can apply up to 7 Burn in a single turn if all the attacks hit. Speaking of, Malkuth is being targeted by one of these on her broken die, which I can do nothing to redirect. Oh well! :lobcorp:

His last die plays a copy of Bygone Illusion, a slightly stronger attack due to its giving dice it clashes with a -1 Power—in exchange for this, however, only the last die deals Burn.

Hey, so, I've decided that that one's worth three points since there's three of them in there at once. Hope you're ready!

I guess you're not going to take no for an answer.

Obviously. There's no way I could possibly lose to you.

Huuf… so this is where all the fire from before got to. Look out, he packs a punch.

Wait, is that… that Salvador guy?

So he's hiding behind his more talented teammates too! The similarities increase!

Dimi…

Don't get distracted! We've gotta' beat this statue down, remember?

Yeah, don't get distracted. Otherwise I'm gonna' be the winner for sure~

I've been working with you for a while now. You're not going to distract me with some objectively wrong opinions.

Look out, team: He can call on Yuna statues too.

So he also hides behind the girl he—

Shut up, Dimi.

What happened to not getting distracted~?

Madness rules this place…

They're just that kind of duo.

Does anyone else think it's weird how it just… sits there? When it attacked, it was with those weird statues from its wings.

Come to think of it, yeah. It's a bit off.

The Abnormality is a combination of seeing, speaking, and hearing nothing. It stands to reason, then, that this form does none of the three. It's a statue.

But it still manages to attack…

The distortion is waiting on the others around it to solve the problems for him. That way, he doesn't have to worry about doing the wrong thing.

That's just running away. He's nowhere near as dangerous as before.

Statistically, he's much stronger…

Statistics aren't everything. He can't beat us in heart!

Because The Crying Children only plays the same three pages every turn, as long as we can deal with their dice he's not a threat. The most important part for now is building up our Emotion Levels as much as possible.

This is payback for earlier! You've got another thing coming if you think you can stop us!

Given that this being doesn't think it can do anything… It stands to reason that it doesn't think it can stop us.

Given that, I'd say it's correct. Does this mean I'm winning?

I thought this was a breach of protocol! What happened to that, huh?!

I like the feeling of being ahead.

…!

Hold on a second guys, this still isn't over!

Its emotions have reached a fever pitch!

Every time! Every stupid time those people get in the way! We should tear the fuckers to pieces!

I should throw attacks everywhere. If they get slaughtered, it's not my fault… they shouldn't have been there to begin with.

… …

There's so many of them… Is this because of his overflowing emotions?

Three points each group! It's still anyone's game!

You were always kind of a sore loser, but… seriously?

In phase 3, there are five enemies, each being a group of 3 children that is somehow less durable than a single child was two phases ago. :shrug:

They're otherwise identical to phase 1 in terms of strategy and powers, there's just an extra Unseeing and Unhearing Child to Stagger before we can see page effects and redirect attacks.

They've locked down ImIdiot, which is unfortunate as he's currently trailing behind at Emotion Level 1 to everyone else's 2 or more. We're actually due for a new Abnormality Page now, but it didn't spawn as it should—likely because of The Crying Children's phase change. The other attacks are just prayers to see if I get lucky and manage to take a clash or two for the extra emotion.

Okay everyone, charge forward!

It's okay if you have to hold back, boss. You're looking a lot rougher than the rest of us.

I couldn't call myself your leader if I couldn't handle at least this much.

You should be able to move now, comrade Idiot.

Please, my friends call me Im.

Coworkers aren't allowed to have close friendships while on duty.

Behold! Dimi's newest ultimate attack: localized dimensional ripper technology! Takes a lot of juice, but definitely worth it!

You say that, but I've got one better. I set up for a counterattack.

Yeah, and?

One of them came right up to me, and paid for it.

Wowsers! So you managed to solve your problem by doing nothing?

Don't even.

Same guy.

Dimi.

It's just a shame that yours didn't have the attack we needed, huh? This one, too.

Not really needing anything else, I grab Nostalgic Embrace for Malkuth, to help speed through the phases where we can actually clash.

How rude..! We break through three of them and we still can't see anything.

We can focus on the two in the back, and we'll have a good chance of weakening them all.

Good plan, ma'am.

I'll take the bottom one, and you grab the top.

I'll be over here padding my score, thanks.

Yeah, we should take them out while they're staggered!

On average, I should apportion one attack to each side.

…Well, we'll make it work.

What're they saying over there?!

They're planning how to split attacks among us.

My mother was a saint! Get murdered, assholes!

Good news: I caught this one trying to hit me. Bad news: It wasn't the one we needed.

Don't mind it! I couldn't catch this one's eye at all.

Did you just say I should focus on you?! Because you're wrong, idiot!

You're the real threat here! If not for you… If not for you..!

Hey, hey! Cut that out!

Beg all you like, I won't give you an ounce of mercy!

This pair of attacks against a target who isn't defending herself puts the Block die into the Unhearing Child's defensive queue. This actually works out perfectly for us.

That was it! Everyone, go!

The target die is almost always on that Block die, and Malkuth had one more attack lined up for after its turn. :getin:

Looks like it's time for the bonus round. Just two kills and I'm in the lead~

Still think you're going to get one over on me, huh?

Obviously. I'm a billion times better than this guy, who's basically just you.

He is not!

You know she's just trying to throw you off, right?

And it's working!

No it isn't!

With their defenses down, they're suddenly quite vulnerable to single strikes.

You're right, Joshua. These guys are tissue paper again; the smoke makes it nearly unfair.

Speaking of, three points for me. That's five now, right?

It's still just two more kills to get ahead. I got this!

Not so fast, Dimi. I hit this one three times in a row, so that's nine points, right?

Per kill, not per hit, Im.

Oh, seriously?! Whoops.

With that being the case, this means I'm winning?

Just two kills, huh?

Oh stuff it!

All the bickering those two are doing is really ratcheting up Bishop's emotions… and Malkuth's?

It's not them. It's just stressful giving out orders over all of the shouting.

Just be sure not to snap under the pressure.

Malkuth gets Gluttony, she's running low on HP and needs the recharge more than anyone else. Everyone else is doing fine.

But we're not done yet. At Floor Emotion Level 3 and up, we get an E.G.O in addition to our Abnormality Page. Three of the five the floor has are selected completely at random, and we can pick any of them. This means that by Floor Level 5 we'll have seen each of the E.G.O, but we might not see one that we really need until we hit Level 5, making it a bad idea to rely on any particular E.G.O page too much. Here, we're selecting Fourth Match Flame.

Just three left. That's… hm?

Don't worry about it. You're not going to kill any, anyways.

After we have access to an E.G.O, the circled symbol appears next to our hand when a librarian is selected. Clicking on it will take us to the E.G.O selection.

All of our librarians share this selection, and we can use it to play one of our E.G.O pages. Clicking the symbol again will bring us back to the librarian's normal hand.

When targeting with a Mass Attack page, we can only select a single die to target. The rest are randomly determined. This means that on enemies with multiple dice, we can deselect and reuse the page until we get all the matchups we really want on people that aren't the primary target.

Oh… you're worried about us? Or are you just lonesome?

Um, hello? Earth to Bishop?

Not that this matters when the enemy only has one die.

Alright. I'll take your hand. Let's do this together.

You okay?

On use, the background shifts to that of the Abnormality whose E.G.O we use.

What is this… what's going on?!

It's the world where we fought Scorched Girl.

The Abnormality's reacting with Bishop!

This is it… the true form of E.G.O.

Now… I am coming to you.

You, who shall be reduced to ashes like me.

Smoke works on Mass Attack damage as well. Here, Bishop's 52 base damage to the enemy after resistance gets an additional 45% added on to it for a total damage of 75, with another 10 percent added to the last Child with the 2 extra Smoke on it for a total of 80.

This is absolute overkill.

Yeah… See how you like being burned alive. And Dimi?

…yeah?

Ten.

The E.G.O is fading… It must not be able to retain its form for very long.

The Abnormality felt tired as it left. I'm sure it just needs a break.

This is an emergency.

What're you saying?! We can't keep up with that fire! We don't have time for talking!

It's fire… Then let's use our own flames.

… …

Phase 4, and we've kind of broken the background. It can only transition once per turn, so it couldn't go from Scorched Girl back to the normal background into the flaming version all at once. This will fix itself, but for now it's just another error.

It's smaller this time. What we're doing is working!

Sure enough, after this form we can expect The Crying Children to break up again. This fight, while not particularly difficult, tends to drag on forever due to the massive pile of HP that all the forms combined have. It overstays its welcome by a large margin.

In addition to playing one copy of each of its previous attacks, The Crying Children also adds another pair of moves to its arsenal. The first is Wound of Sorrow, a page with a trio of relatively bulky dice—but as a ranged page, Joshua can completely shut it down with a 0-cost.

His other new page, Restrain, inflicts 2 Feeble, Disarm and Bind with its second die. It's a rather chunky 8-12 die as well, making it difficult to avoid.

(Sniff… Sniffle…)

I don't think he can hold his feelings back any longer.

Leave it to me.

Expressions of anguish are still banned during business hours.

He's still got a knack for attacking me right where I can't defend myself in this body… but I'll tough it out, don't worry.

Hey, it's moving now! That's cheating!

He can cheat all he likes, we're gonna' bust through just the same!

I haven't mentioned it, but Dimi's been really on point with her extra damage activations. The 10% activation chance doesn't feel like a lot, but between Dimension Sections, Quantum Leap and Refraction she gets three different rolls for them, which make it feel far more consistent than it should.

That won't work on me twice!

This form is why Malkuth has the Nostalgic Embrace page. With only one target, she'll be able to pump out a good amount of extra Stagger damage, and his Counter dice ensure we'll have clash targets available.

This pick, meanwhile, is for the Children phases. If we can't stop their attacks we may as well punish them in some other way.

We also pick up Green Stem.

(Sniffle… Sob..!)

Hey gumshoe. I've decided I don't care about winning anymore. I think we should just put this guy to rest.

Realized you couldn't possibly win, huh?

Magnanimously decided to let the rest of you have a chance to be in the spotlight today, since he's so pathetic it's kind of sad. Just stand back, I've got a Dimi Special coming.

If you say so.

I'll back you up afterwards.

Bullet crusher special!

Rip Space is actually deceptively great against ranged attacks as well—the first die lets Dimi draw two pages whenever it wins a clash. Because the die recycles here, she's able to draw 4 pages for the cost of 1.

Then I'll rip your body in half by opening a rift in you…

And we're done! Take care of it, boss!

That did it. Great job, Dimi.

And with that, we can definitely overlook the gaming thing~

Nice try.

They're splitting up again.

There's no way they can keep this up forever, right?

Every enemy has their limit. We just have to reach it.

!!!!!

Looks like I made them mad. Sorry, guys… I've got to sit out for now.

Hey, there's not as many as there were a minute ago, though, are there?

You bastards! Gloating about killing us, well you'll get yours!

They killed some of them?! I-I didn't see it—

The enemy's stats are identical in this round to the Phase 3 version of the Children, the only change is the combat page they use.

Wing Stroke is a deceptively mean page; 4 dice with an Evade second means that there are very few pages that can actually avoid it entirely, and the last two attacks both have an added effect on them. Taking chip damage in this phase is almost unavoidable.

Don't suppose you've got another blast in you, do you boss?

Not quite… but there's another voice there now.

Mm… yeah, I can feel it now, too. Give it a try, Bishop.

Each E.G.O page we use has an individual cooldown, visible by the bar over the page itself. That cooldown varies by the number of active Librarians we have, working out to roughly 10 Emotion Coins per Librarian. Right now, we'd need ~50 Emotion Coins generated to get FMF ready again, and we're not quite there. This means that E.G.O spam is much easier as we lose Librarians—it's a kind of comeback mechanic in that way.

Alright, let's give this a try. You've got a lot of wrath you've built up today, right?

Then let's direct that hatred at our enemies.

That's two forms in one fight. These E.G.O seem much more versatile than they were beforehand.

It's just a shame we can't use them for more than a moment.

With Green Stem, we can instantly Stagger the entire enemy side. Unfortunately, Mass Attacks don't allow their Precarious Mind die to trigger, meaning their resistances will still be normal for another couple of turns. It's a fine trade for not having to deal with their gimmicks.

We're all clear. You guys could feel them too, right?

I could feel something like their help, but I didn't realize it was those Abnormalities being ready to go.

I could definitely tell they were there. I just didn't feel like using them.

Listening to it now, I can almost hear Scorched Girl again…

If you reach out, she'll answer.

I got it. Let's save it for now, though.

With Malkuth and Bishop at Emotion Level 5 and the enemy not in any real danger of losing this turn, I focus on letting the other 3 go to town.

With this, they'll be as good as dead in another couple of moments even without E.G.O.

E.G.O… huh… That power felt like the one we wielded for a while.

Ultimately, the addition to our arsenal is a good thing. Even if I don't want to use it.

You don't?

We must keep a solid wall between ourselves and them, if we're to survive.

On the next turn, all three enemies are up and ready to go—meaning the target die could be on any of them.

Duhuhu… Target spotted! Leave it to Dimi!

Because Dimi has the highest Speed of anyone, Overcharging it right away will open them up to Fatal damage for the rest of the turn.

This should let us finish off the entire enemy group. Malkuth and Bishop continue to stay on standby to let the others get their Emotion Levels up.

Now, watch as the world breaks underneath my touch!

!!!

And for my next trick, I'll rip this one asunder. That's like, a thousand points for setting all of this up.

I thought you'd stopped caring about points.

That's before I was winning, duh.

Then this makes all of them! Go team, go!

They're falling left and right… Are we finally going to become books too?!

I don't wanna' look, I don't wanna' look, I don't wanna' look..! What do I do?! I don't want to die! Someone..!

… … …… !!

Yeah… I hear it. We'll take all our pain, and put it in one place.

Together… everyone together.

This time, we'll kill you!

!!!

Next time, on Library of Ruina: We finally get Phillip's book.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

glad that E.G.O.s override the Librarian's keypage when used; there's no way I was drawing Bishop or anyone in the clown suit

at last, it's only been like ten books since E.G.O.s were first unlocked, but TeeQueue's gotta save it up for a special occasion

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
You're right, this fight is dragging on way too long; I'm getting tired of it just reading about it.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

NullBlack posted:

glad that E.G.O.s override the Librarian's keypage when used; there's no way I was drawing Bishop or anyone in the clown suit

at last, it's only been like ten books since E.G.O.s were first unlocked, but TeeQueue's gotta save it up for a special occasion

I'm going to need to get my jaw off the floor. Absolutely fire (heh) work, NullBlack. :allears:

berryjon posted:

You're right, this fight is dragging on way too long; I'm getting tired of it just reading about it.

If you haven't listened to the music, definitely give that a play, and know that it is playing for the entire fight from the moment that it starts.

By the sixth loop... I find myself wanting the battle to end.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

berryjon posted:

Here I was thinking LoR seemed way less sadistic than LobCorp

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
At least the song is really good, even if it's melancholic.

You can get through this fight easily if you know what you're doing. It's just really tedious to get through all the phases. Especially with the somber song. At least realization BGM is adrenaline pumping.

With Health Hauler, Yujin can regain all her HP by the time the battle's almost over.

lyoid10
Jul 19, 2022
I love that the unhearing child constantly assumes that everyone talking poo poo at em it's funny and kinda sad at the sametime

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Dimi, stop trying to distort Bishop. You know, that you will be the one to handle the aftermath, right?

TeeQueue posted:

With the Unspeaking Child Staggered, it may seem like a good idea to go all in on defeating it. However, this would be incorrect. Right now, it's still got its Endured resistances to all damage, and the way to break it is guaranteed to be on one of the two Murmurs the other pair are playing.
This is where Yesod floor and Dark Flame comes to help. If you can manage to get to lvl5 quickly enough for this to matter.

TeeQueue posted:

How did you make a move that forceful with a sword that small? :psyduck:
It's not about the size...

TeeQueue posted:

The Crying Children is a Shimmering boss with relatively simple rules—oh, and when we manage to defeat it, it'll break back up. This fight is long, easily longer than any other non-Realization fight we've had in the game so far. Because of that length, it's also easily beaten with the use of Hauler passives—we haven't brought any with us for that reason.
It is after 1/3 of it was cut... and left fully functional, but unused in code.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

when I got bored I tried to sync the die clashes with the beat

it was not very effective

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

MiiNiPaa posted:

It is after 1/3 of it was cut... and left fully functional, but unused in code.

I don't recall this fight being cut down by a third, it's still got the same number of phases as on release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So I guess this answers the question of whether you'd rather fight one Phillip-sized baby or one hundred baby-sized Phillips

Also:

:eyepop:

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 20, 2022