Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Halloween Jack posted:

He's like Verhoeven in that he gives you what you want, to the degree that it becomes unnerving.

Yes, exactly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Zack Snyder posted:

“If I was Paul Verhoeven, and I had made this movie, I probably would have won the fricking festival with it,” he laughs. “Because everyone would be like, ‘Oh my God, it’s genius.'”

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Be patient Zack, it takes a couple decades

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Maybe this is dumb, but Watchmen isn't a great example of Synder's action sequences being cool and sexy, but also like the greatest example of it - it's all in service to the narrative, done through his lens. Any conversation becomes too abstract, or honestly just kinda ends up talking about something else when the narrative etc is excised from it.

This is the fundamental flaw with that youtuber's stuff, she's constructed her own movies to criticise her own Zach Snyder, that has nothing to do with the movies it references.

The best example of his action sequences being 'guilt free' is Sucker Punch and that's the joke - they're an attempt to escape the violence.

Could be wrong, but the question seems to be more about his adaptation of Rorschach or Watchmen, much like when in the past people talked about him making spartans seem cool, or why did Superman let all those people die etc.

“dan and still gets horned up over it and fucks in the owl after, but it seems more like a, 'drat, that violence was cool, im horny now' rather than 'drat, this is the only thing that gets me going`.”

This is kinda what I mean, like, there’s a scene with Dan and Laurel where he literally couldn't get a hard on. That is until they went out looking for trouble in their superhero costumes and the adrenaline rush that cums with it.

brawleh fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 31, 2020

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpeDO8L0xs8

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I just saw Whedon's Justice League for the first time.

drat that sucked.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

My condolences.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Jimbot posted:

My condolences.

My thoughts are here, though I don't think I had much new to add. It's hard to come up with any hot takes about it because it's one of the most successful attempts I've seen of a movie trying to avoid expressing any opinions, ideology, commentary or personality. The only noteworthy thing about it, apart from what it's missing, are it's many technical shortcomings and existence as a movie made by taking one movie, then making a second totally different movie and smashing them together. It's a really bland boring movie but assembled in a way that's both obviously disjointed, but even ways Snyder and Whedon do shot reverse shot is subtly different enough that a few reshoot inserts can make a conversation feel hosed.

Some of the worst lighting I have ever seen. The lighting and colors are hosed and made even worse by the sloppy job they did just brightening everything.

I can understand why people who were invested and misguided enough to go see this when it came out would have felt cheated.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I was watching the BvS scene between Alfred and Bruce in the Batcave.

Alfred: You're gonna go to war?
Bruce: That son of a bitch brought the war to us two years ago.

Does Bruce's line there become modulated into the Batman voice there? Even without the Bat suit's technology? I never noticed it before. It goes back into his normal voice in the next sentence. The attention to detail in this movie is insane.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Robotnik Nudes posted:

My thoughts are here....

I went to the cinema to watch it and I was shocked they thought that mustache removal was even passable.They were surprised Justice League flopped because they thought they had fixed the movie.

WB execs were demented.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

drat I really love that story.

Jonathan superheroically fought and defeated a flood like an epic hero, doing the right thing the whole way and fighting with everything he had as a mere mortal man. And of course there were consequences. There always are.

Jonathan Kent vs Weather disasters is right now a 1 - 1 tie. Very respectable record.

Someone brought up ages back that it seems like the BvS version of the Waynes' deaths was more like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B93pJ-4EC70

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

DC encourages the pathology.

Darkseid is indeed the living incarnation of fascism; not even really a person, and more elemental than the rest of the New Gods. But they still made an animated show where Batman stops Superman from killing Darkseid because murder is wrong.

I mean, yeah? Murder is wrong, and that's exactly what Clark was going to do, deliberately end a life with hate in his heart. Batman wasn't stopping him because Darkseid deserved to live but because Clark was going to do something unconscionable. The cartoon always had that undercurrent of, regular people can do bad but when supers break they go completely over the edge.

This just seems like a weird line to draw in comparison with the film series that gave us the Knightmare. And like the cartoon, the Knightmare showed us that a Superman who gives over to the impulse to take control for the greater good ends up going full fash and becoming what he tried to destroy.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

I dunno the context of that particular scene but if Darkside is mega space Satan/Hitler it's totally ethical to kill him

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Is there a story about a z-grade superhero "breaking"? Like, a What if about Fruit Boy succumbing to his dark impulses and killing whatever nemesis Fruit Boy has, and going over the edge?

It would be pretty funny if society always collapses when that happens to a superhero, even when it's Fruit Boy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's actually a bit of a theme in Justice League, the Justice Lords universe has the inflection point be Lex Luthor becoming President, having the Flash executed and Superman finally gets fed up and eye-lasers him in the White House. Later on they visit Arkham Asylum, which has become a minimum-security nursing home, and Batman's entire rogues gallery has laser-eye lobotomy scars. (amusingly, not the Ventriloquist, but the Scarface puppet does)

And then there's this bit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phWcmwlpjQo

Grendels Dad posted:

Is there a story about a z-grade superhero "breaking"? Like, a What if about Fruit Boy succumbing to his dark impulses and killing whatever nemesis Fruit Boy has, and going over the edge?

It would be pretty funny if society always collapses when that happens to a superhero, even when it's Fruit Boy.

There's actually a significant bit in JLU where the Question more or less does (or tries to do) exactly that, with self-awareness- that since Luthor seems to be on the same path as Justice Lords Luthor, he figures that Superman can't kill him and go over the edge if someone else does it first, and the Question knows he's considered a crackpot and thus the League will be able to distance itself from his actions.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

DC actually did exactly this once. In the early 90s there was a big crossover called Armageddon 2001 about preventing a dark future where a hero fell and created a hellish dystopia, and eventually it was revealed that the hero who would ruin the world was... Hawk, of Hawk and Dove. If you've never heard of them before, well, exactly.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

The Guardians of Ga' hoole loving owns holy poo poo.

The scene when kludd moon blinks his small sister :(

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 1, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

McSpanky posted:

DC actually did exactly this once. In the early 90s there was a big crossover called Armageddon 2001 about preventing a dark future where a hero fell and created a hellish dystopia, and eventually it was revealed that the hero who would ruin the world was... Hawk, of Hawk and Dove. If you've never heard of them before, well, exactly.

Another two I remember from Justice League Unlimited! Kinda works given their whole thing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I thought in the video games Superman pinches Jokers heart out because he killed Lois Lane? I think it was that Mortal Kombat-like game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The thing people always forget about Final Crisis is that while Batman kills Darkseid's body, Superman kills Darkseid's soul.

Also the fight with a vampire at the end for some reason. I always forget about that.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Violator posted:

I was watching the BvS scene between Alfred and Bruce in the Batcave.

Alfred: You're gonna go to war?
Bruce: That son of a bitch brought the war to us two years ago.

Does Bruce's line there become modulated into the Batman voice there? Even without the Bat suit's technology? I never noticed it before. It goes back into his normal voice in the next sentence. The attention to detail in this movie is insane.
I noticed that too. Someone asked Snyder about it on Vero and he said something like “We can’t always maintain the identity we want the public to see”

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The vampire is DC Editorial, and at this point I think it's very hard to say that Superman won.

also Batman physically shoots Darkseid, but he also shoots Orion though time, setting in motion the events of Final Crisis which figuratively kill Darkseid.

also the mandraak reveal at the end of final crisis always reminds me of the Fable 1 expansion, where the end of the original game is revised with "You have defeated Jack of Blades the human villain, but actually the real villain is Jack of Blades the large dragon cursed mask monster. Good luck."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

The thing people always forget about Final Crisis is that while Batman kills Darkseid's body, Superman kills Darkseid's soul.

Also the fight with a vampire at the end for some reason. I always forget about that.

IIRC Superman sings Darkseid to death

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He does. It's great.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Goddammit, soul-destroying karaoke was supposed to be my super-power. :smith:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Grendels Dad posted:

Is there a story about a z-grade superhero "breaking"?
Maxwell Lord? Maybe Robot from Invincible?

Gargoyles had the bald little dude becoming Evil Techlord in an alternate future.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The girl who can control milk from Misfits.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
All good answers I will have look up, though I had secretly hoped it would have actually been Fruit Boy.

I love him so much. The stupidest power on the most jacked bro.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Here is my write-up for the Snyderdome movie of the moment Reign of Fire (2002). Spoilers incoming:

Part of the appeal of post-apocalyptic fiction comes from basking in the freedom from social & ethical norms, and a reprieve from the repetitive routine of everyday life, sometimes enjoyed even moreso while terrible things are happening to the characters. Reign of Fire takes a decidedly more incongruous approach, as we're introduced to a community fully in retreat and severely restricted in the most basic freedoms, and there are no depictions of human depravity to perversely enjoy (I think it's these aspects that largely contribute to the film's mixed reception). Their leader, Quinn, has seemingly run out of viable options, trapped between choosing one bad decision and another, while struggling to keep the morale of the community from going sideways. The dragons' reign suffocate nearly every aspect of the narrative, which is reflected in the oppressive color palette that intensifies every cataclysmic event of the dragons' fire breathing.

Van Zan's introduction brings a semblance of hope that Quinn initially buys into, but almost immediately regrets. When the first dragon gets taken down on screen, Van Zan even scolds the community (And the audience) for celebrating. The clashing mind states are evoked in the imagery of modern military vehicles at the gates of a rundown medieval castle, where Van Zan "asks" for a place of brief respite. He later presents a similar false choice when asking the men of Quinn's community to volunteer to join his campaign in a rousing speech, only to immediately afterwards force the people he really wanted to join anyway.

quote:

Knowledge is the only weapon we've got left. In the beginning, it was ignorance that destroyed us.
- Quinn

The film is structured around the dragons functioning as the Zizek concept of the sublime object of ideology (Drawing on Kant's notion of the sublime, it is a "Spectral object which has no positive ontological consistency, but merely fills in the gap of a certain constitutive impossibility", the constitutive impossibility in this case being, the arrival of the "Capital S" Society). The human inability to deal with this primordial force leads to the collapse of civilization. This failure is attributed to an insufficient dedication to scientism, the notion that knowledge of the natural world can solve the problems that have historically plagued human societies. The spiritual turn to religion by Quinn's community is presented as an act of desperation, via a turning away from the world. The only salvation for humanity depends on people letting go of their differences and working together to combine their accumulated knowledge (Of military tactics, biology of the dragons, topology, etc) leading to the only chance of rebuilding society. This crystallization of knowledge is embodied in an extremely specific final weapon used to slay the male dragon: a short-range crossbow equipped with C-4 arrows.

The beginning of the film shows that the anxiety exhibited by Quinn doesn't start with the arrival of the dragons, by depicting a young version trekking through his mother's workplace, a place he is intimately familiar with. It's hinted that he's the product of an absentee father, and in the scene, ashamed when he disappoints his mother by not earning the scholarship money their family sorely needs. This place becomes the source of trauma that he must overcome.

The theme of the absent father that is nevertheless always there, is reflected in the play that recreates the Luke Skywalker/Darth Vader "I am your father" scene, which Quinn even says is of his own imagination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F-MICZdEY4&t=2s

The scene beings with a shot of the stained glass window of the Church area, and pans out to the religious imagery adorned on the walls & ceilings with the shadows of Quinn & Creedy acting out the eternal fight between good & evil. The camera cuts to the perspective of shadowy viewers and progresses to the reveal of a captive audience of children. A great little detail here is when Creedy, playing the role of Luke Skywalker, gets his hand cut off, he makes it a point to immediately assure the horrified children the importance of knowing that it's a story by briefly sticking his hand out of his sleeve. At this point, the camera occupies a space between the stage and the audience, and this dimension is the one I will explore.

Totem and Taboo, Freud’s book about the origins of human society, has long been discredited in multiple academic circles for its lack of scientific rigor. One of the stories in it goes, that once upon a time, there was a tyrannical father of a primal horde who kept all of the females to himself. His sons team up to murder the father, and in turn develop an alliance that allows for the equal distribution of the excess jouissance previously held captive by the father, a necessary condition for the founding of society. Like Hegel's "Master & Slave" dialectic, Lacan thought the proper way to interpret this text should not be as an actual historical explanation, but as a myth. It's not that these particular events actually happened, but that the event paradoxically, despite not happening, retroactively becomes the precondition for the founding of society.

quote:

Quinn: That's a good story, especially the bit about the plane, but there hasn't been anything in the air for 20 years. That's their territory.
Van Zan: It's my territory. It's your territory.

(The other play hinted at being put on for the children is The Lion King, another story whose protagonist can only achieve redemption by going home, an aspect that Van Zan even remarks is deeply significant for Quinn.)

From here the parallels to Reign of Fire becomes apparent: the lone male dragon, standing in for Quinn's absentee father, possesses all of the females and prevents the development of a free & equal society. Once the dragon threat appears to be gone, the palette takes on a more colorful spectrum. The building of a new society and Quinn's embracing of a sexual relation cannot occur until after the death of the primordial father.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 2, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Grendels Dad posted:

All good answers I will have look up, though I had secretly hoped it would have actually been Fruit Boy.
I just realized that Syndrome from The Incredibles fits the bill to a T.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

McCloud posted:

One constant red theme across his superhero stuff and Sucker Punch is that the action scenes are never, for a lack of better term, innocent.

In watchmen it's gory and brutal, those gangsters are brutally crippled for life, if not outright dead. Even when it's stylized and "cool" you still see the bones crack and blood spurt. It's visceral and off putting.

In MoS and BvS, superheroics come with collateral damage,you can't knock someone through an office building or toss a sharpened pieces of metal at folks and not kill anyone
In Sucker Punch, he deliberately equates action scenes with the women being sexually abused as a commentary on the inherent sexism of nerd culture

He almost always depicts violence as shocking, brutal or visceral, it's never sanitized or normalized like so many other blockbuster films where faceless goons get kicked in the face and take a dive.

As an aside, just like watchmen the comic was a deconstruction of the superhero comic books genre and their tropes, so the movie was about superhero movies and their quirks. It's why their suits look like out of Batman forever

This is part of the reason nerds hate him. He shows them what they love is and they hate him for exposing the reality of it and revealing something about themselves, creating discomfort and it results in hatred against him.

EDIT: With regards to violence one thing I've noticed is in countries that are more religiously conservative, violence is ok, sexuality is not. In the US, middle eastern countries, even Pakistan and India, outright sexuality in movies is often censored or shunned (this is slowly changing in Bollywood where more recent movies allow kissing). Versus say Europe or Canada where even on late night TV or movies I could watch something that would not get past the censors in America sexually but violence isn't really the big selling point. There's the stereotype of the artsy European film maker and the American big budget action filmaker.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 2, 2020

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Finally got this framed after it sitting in protective tubing for a year. Insane to think how far everythings come since that night and discovering the hidden "214" on the cape.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

McSpanky posted:

I hadn't thought about that storyline in years. Wasn't it originally supposed to be Captain Atom, and they switched to Dove when they realized the fandom had already figured it out?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/CloutChaserN1/status/1290150317087010816?s=20

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

I hadn't thought about that storyline in years. Wasn't it originally supposed to be Captain Atom, and they switched to Dove when they realized the fandom had already figured it out?

Funny thing, Captain Atom is one of the Charlestone Comics characters originally meant for Watchmen, and Doctor Manhattan was made as a substitute.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Finally got around to watching Batman v Superman after watching Man of Steel a month or two ago.

Brief thoughts here: https://letterboxd.com/throwaway_name/film/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-ultimate-edition/

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Roth posted:

Finally got around to watching Batman v Superman after watching Man of Steel a month or two ago.

Brief thoughts here: https://letterboxd.com/throwaway_name/film/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-ultimate-edition/

Amazing closing sentence: 10/10

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

After watching some of the 1943 Batman serials, I've come to the conclusion that he has always been a fascist.

Check the dialog at 8:40: The narrator states that Little Tokyo has become a ghost town after the government wisely rounded up the "Shifty eyed Japs."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWnpUH78AsE&t=520s

Flipgrip
Feb 16, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Amazing closing sentence: 10/10

Ha! That was my exact thoughts, too. Incredible finish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The link isn’t working for me. :(