Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I sincerely think that they're bad shoppers. I saw some big outrage thing a while back because of a picture of a family receiving aid where they were making popcorn in one of those hot air popcorn makers.
People were outraged that a family that could afford a $100 popcorn machine was getting medical aid or something.

I can sort of understand the outrage if this family really did use their limited funds to pay full price for something with such low utility.
But that's probably not what happened. Stupid gadgets like that are the kinds of things that middle class families buy, and then realize that they're gigantic wastes of space, so they sell them at yard sales or dump them off at goodwill.
The can of popcorn kernels probably cost more, and it's a nice fun luxury for a family that doesn't have a huge budget. Who am I to begrudge someone a few smiles once or twice a week.

I grew up on welfare and during the worst times we would get carts of food from the food bank, and we still had a popcorn maker and made homemade popcorn, and it was exactly because my grandparents got it at a garage sale. It's ridiculous cheap to pop your own popcorn for a snack (like $8 for 5lbs of corn). Much less than microwave popcorn, nevermind bags of chips or a massive bowl of chocolates like in an M&Ms commercial. Because heaven forbid that parents don't want their children to feel the reality of extreme poverty and want to make them happy once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Why are people all over Obama now? Birth certificate, impeachments. Are they hoping to reclaim the presidency for Romney so he can serve out the last few months?

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Zephyrine posted:

Why are people all over Obama now? Birth certificate, impeachments. Are they hoping to reclaim the presidency for Romney so he can serve out the last few months?

It's our only path to President Biden now.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
They're grasping at straws trying to find anything to make the Democratic Party look bad in the hopes that it turns the election their way.

It's the last desperate action of a dying beast.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Whoops -- I think this guy needs a new job then.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Feldegast42 posted:

Whoops -- I think this guy needs a new job then.

Dude needs to see an occupational therapist instead of making viral internet posts.

:edit

or whatever it's called where you see someone about how your job is making you mentally ill

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 30, 2016

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

jivjov posted:

The type of people to type up a story like that legitimately believe that if you're poor enough to need government aid then you shouldn't own any "non essentials" whatsoever. If they could get away with telling The Poors to wear nothing but burlap sacks and eat nothing but a soy paste nutrient slurry, they would. Any use of money at all that does not directly stave off death is Abusing the System and Stealing our Taxes.

Burlap sacks? On MY tax dollars?! They should wear cardboard boxes and like it!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Nostradingus posted:

It's our only path to President Biden now.

Obama should resign on January first and just let Biden have it for a couple weeks.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Twelve by Pies posted:

Burlap sacks? On MY tax dollars?! They should wear cardboard boxes and like it!

Why, I bet their house even has a refrigerator box!

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Where do you think they got the cardboard box?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
It's hosed up to deny children the opportunity to starve and turn the sharp pangs of hunger into spears of motivation

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Jurgan posted:

Obama should resign on January first and just let Biden have it for a couple weeks.

But then we'd have acting vice-president Paul Ryan.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Hella weird seeing OP's face in nationally televised attack ads. Irony, thy name is "Got a crazy forwarded political email from your family? Post them here."

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
..aaaaaaand the Republican Aunt went full "74 people close to the Clintons died, makes you think!" :downs: God drat it, I was hoping she would avoid the fate of her mother who went turbo-crazy when Obama was elected.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ManlyGrunting posted:

..aaaaaaand the Republican Aunt went full "74 people close to the Clintons died, makes you think!" :downs: God drat it, I was hoping she would avoid the fate of her mother who went turbo-crazy when Obama was elected.

Answer with "so 74 people out of the thousands the Clintons know died. Clearly, if they weren't suspicious and shady, everyone they know would become immortal."

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Clinton gets results obviously.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Asiina posted:

Because heaven forbid that parents don't want their children to feel the reality of extreme poverty and want to make them happy once in a while.

I teach mostly-poor kids. The stories they tell to convince each other and themselves that they aren't poor never end.

While I'm generally for accepting the reality of one's situation, that is an area where I have learned to tread lightly. My class is kids with emotional problems. They can barely handle the things about their lives (some of which are horrifying regardless of income) that they already do accept.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

From the Libertarian facebook page.

I don't even know where to start. Rights create dependency? Is that all rights? Freedom isn't free?

It's all the essentials of FYGM with even less thought.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's positive freedoms vs. negative freedoms.

Freedom to have a religion, or own a firearm, or buy drugs are fine, because they don't take anything away from anyone else. I'm not sure where 'freedom to run a lead smelter across the street from a kindergarten' would fall, I guess the parents could organize a class action against the owner, or if they're poor parents they could suck it.

Freedom to have food, housing, education, or healthcare are not fine, because you have to take other people's money to give them, and even if that makes the society as a whole better that's theft. I'm not sure where land monopoly or usury fall, because they seem to be fine with those even though they amount to theft by non-production.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

KiteAuraan posted:

Why would a rich guy ever milk the system for free healthcare? I am on my dad's insurance until April (when I turn 26) and if I can't get a decent job by then (unlikely because of my degree and the fact that I turned 16 right at the beginning of the great recession, then was flat out unable to work through college because it was college or work, not both because I was having nervous breakdowns already due to a large amount of issues in my life at the time) then I get to go on AHCCCS fully (I already have it since I am on disability for ASD). Except, oh no, my psychiatrist doesn't accept AHCCCS, and I sort of need that prescription for Prozac otherwise things are going to go really badly. And IF I can find someone who does accept it, well, then I end up having to be reevaluated for some reason, even though my disability hasn't gone away, and never will.

Basically, being poor and having a disability suck in this country.

And, believe it or not, America is considered one of the better countries for the poor and disabled simply because we have these programs and support systems even though they have become a hosed up mess wholly designed to find any excuse they can to deny someone who needs help services. The amount of juggling/balance beam poo poo I had to do just to survive was ridiculous. I needed the assistance and I followed their arcane rules and regulations as dutifully as I could but it always felt like they would use every opportunity to throw me off.

One time my grandfather gave me $100 for my birthday and, fool that I was, I put it in my bank to save it and did not spend it or hide it or store it in a mattress or whatever. For the next three years the Job and Family Services people interrogated me about the fact that I dared to have $100 saved up in my account. They didn't believe me when I told them where the money came from and I have no idea where they thought I got the money from. They counted the money as a resource, like they do, and that money, which was intended to be a small buffer in case of emergencies and otherwise give me ease, became a constant source of anxiety and even after I took the money out of the account they asked me about it. It could be argued that doing that and hiding the money was cheating the system.

From what I understand the system was created to support people and help them get their poo poo together and ultimately get off the system. But pursuing that goal and displaying any amount of positive account balance is punished harshly and viewed with intense suspicion, scrutiny and hostility.

When the system, designed and intended to help you support yourself, basically requires you to "cheat" it to support yourself there is something wrong with the system. And it's not that people are on it.

It all comes down to money and public opinion. The states have to balance the budget and social services are a big expense. Most state and city governments don't appear to view the taxes the poor do pay as being worth the expense and to be honest the taxes the poor do pay probably do not offset the expense of supporting them. So they set up there systems to be riddled with endless ways to disqualify someone because even one less person on the system is one less person they have to pay to support and more money that can be spent somewhere else. To most politicians budget money is usually better spent on things they can see as directly benefiting them/their people/their community/etc and they fail to realize how much keeping the poor off the streets really helps them because the immediate economic and social effects are not as huge as cutting taxes on the one or two companies that employ your tax paying population (and are holding you hostage) for some reason. It really sucks. It's probably way more complicated than this too.

Anyway, I'm really sorry about the poverty derail. It's something I feel really strongly about. I'll shut up now.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 30, 2016

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Instant Sunrise posted:

But then we'd have acting vice-president Paul Ryan.

I smell a sitcom!

:edit:

Poverty chat: When I was still with my son's mother, we lived in subsidized housing which meant that they would come and inspect the apartment to make sure we weren't trashing the place/running a meth lab. One time they commented about how we had too much food in the house, like that was a problem. We were on food stamps and got like $600 a month for two adults and 3 children. I admit, that's actually a pretty decent amount but not outrageous or anything. It comes out to like $4 per person per day.

I grew up poor so I learned how to shop and make food stretch so instead of buying microwave dinners and poo poo, I made sure that we stocked up on bulk quantities of dry goods (25 lb bags of sugar and flour, 5 gallon jugs of cooking oil, big bags of rice and beans). We'd make a monthly trip to the outlet grocery store and buy whatever was on clearance at the nice grocery stores. We were doing the responsible thing by making sure we were using our resources as effectively as possible and were treated with suspicion as a result.

Oh yeah, the maintenance man was an rear end in a top hat who hated poors and when we had to call him out to fix our stove, he acted like we were whiners because we still had a microwave we could use. I told him "we cook real meals in this house" and he grumbled some more about it.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 30, 2016

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Nah you're right. The constant email forwards about welfare queens and lazy minorities reinforce one of the most basic truths of the American mythology: prosperity gospel dictates that to not be poor you just have to be good and work hard, so the poor deserve poverty and the rich deserve wealth. The notion that we ought to help people who are poor doesn't make sense in that frame of reference.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Solstice posted:

I am in no way an expert on current dental technology but I swear I remember being told a gold tooth is actually cheaper than a porcelain crown and the preferred solution in many cases (no idea what those cases actually are).

Gold is cheaper and stronger than porcelain. People only get porcelain for aesthetic reasons.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

Dude needs to see an occupational therapist instead of making viral internet posts.

:edit

or whatever it's called where you see someone about how your job is making you mentally ill

Occupational therapy is like "how to button a shirt" or "how to get yourself to the washroom". It's therapy related to that which occupies your time, not your vocation. That's just therapy.

Haxin Jackson
Apr 3, 2011

I know that anti-poor sentiment is a big thing, but I figured a concept like a "living wage" aka 'working and being paid enough to survive' was something everyone could agree on. A lot of these macros bemoan unemployed people who have the audacity to have Things, but apparently even having a job isn't good enough for these fucks. I'm guessing it's a combination of just-world nonsense and free market nonsense -- if you were worth more to your employer, then they would pay you more and you wouldn't be impoverished, you filthy poor -- but god drat it is infuriating.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Occupational therapy is like "how to button a shirt" or "how to get yourself to the washroom". It's therapy related to that which occupies your time, not your vocation. That's just therapy.

Yeah, I realized that after I made my post. It's a thing though isn't it, where you see a therapist specifically because your job is making you crazy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dB4De8AZjU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

(this is Sweden mind you)

I rent out a an apartments to a (now) formerly homeless person. It's a favour to his father. He spent his whole youth doing drugs. He's clean now but a complete mess and often gets confused. He is entitled to some support and so the state pays the rent straight to me. The municipality frantically want apartments for people like these. But once they found one. They seem to do everything in their power to try and lose the apartment.

Should he lose the apartment then they have to find emergency temporary housing for him which is a lot of effort and expensive. In order to get this support he is first required to sell everything he owns that could be worth selling. Usually things in the 900+ euro range.

The bureaucrats will talk circles around this poor guy. They book in dates for him to visit with something like a 5 day notice and then post it by letter. Then scold him for not showing up on time.

So this guy can't drive a car any more but he went out and got a junk moped. As is required he also insured it. During one of their spot checks. They caught that he owned a moped and instantly cut him off support. By letter with of course another planned meeting that they didn't confirm by phone.

They never tell me any of this. I found out that they cut his support by way of no rent being paid that month.

So now in order to get his support back he has to sell his moped. Get a receipt for it and show the receipt to his handler. They will then deduct that sum from his next support payment. But it doesn't stop there. They will have paid staff determine the value of the moped so he doesn't cheat them. They do this by having people look up mopeds of similar models on websites where people sell used vehicles. This is regardless of the shape it's in. And if they don't like the price he sold it for them they will reject the receipt and hold him accountable to a higher sum.

I then have to play the ice queen and contact them and threaten to evict him (which I would never do due to my relationship with his father) But the idea of having to find temporary housing for him and the cost is the only thing that will scare them back into paying the rent again.

And I'm just surprised at the sums they are willing to spend in staff hours to try and ruin the whole thing and the only form of success comes in the form of even more costs :psyduck: Like leave the guy alone. He's 50 years old and just watches TV all day without bothering anyone.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

They call that a vocational therapist or work coach where I work.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

coyo7e posted:

They also just did a sequel to this episode which is really disheartening.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/600/will-i-know-anyone-at-this-party

edit: my favorite part is near the end when the woman is interviewing this older dude who says, "you just don't read enough!" and she's like, "I read all the time - I'm an NPR reporter for crissakes," and the guy just shrugs it off because obviously she hasn't been reading the right source, such as "isthatbaloney.com" or "stormfront.org".

These are really great. I can't remember which of these episodes it was from, but I thought the term "patriotic correctness" was brilliant.

Zephyrine posted:

And I'm just surprised at the sums they are willing to spend in staff hours to try and ruin the whole thing and the only form of success comes in the form of even more costs :psyduck: Like leave the guy alone. He's 50 years old and just watches TV all day without bothering anyone.
:smith:
I live in an area with a high homeless population and so does a coworker of mine. We both complain about it, but come to completely different conclusions about what should be done. He thinks by sticking it to these people even more, somehow that's going to make them snap out of whatever problem it is they are having and straighten up. Those kind of tactics aren't cheap and aren't even effective! I mean, it's easy to get mad at the rude, smelly, crazy guy stealing creamer at Starbucks, but calling the cops on him when he starts endangering himself and others doesn't treat the root of his issues over the long run.

Adam Corolla has an interesting podcast that is an adjunct to his show. The latest one interviews a man who works with housing the homeless in LA and a formerly homeless woman who is a homeless advocate. The sober and thoughtful way they speak though, just isn't going to get through to people like my coworker whose response to sensible solutions is to just shake their head and say they don't see how it'll work, and then accuse people of taking advantage of the system.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Zephyrine posted:

It's not a political strategy it's a muscle memory. Hating the uppity n-word gets you a quick shot of approval from your fellow EPORWs

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Subjunctive posted:

I dunno, there's a pretty goony dude in my Physics class who doesn't seem to understand how haircuts or the washing of body and clothes pertains to anything but his towering intellect (he's still struggling with Newton's third law, after midterms, but sits in class with arms crossed - to the point he never even takes a notebook and pencil out to pretend to take notes - and a smug look *for three hours twice a week* and then wastes 20 minutes arguing with the teacher because he completely failed to grasp whatever we learned about, the week before..) He could honestly use some occupational therapy where he learned about washing and drying clothing, basic hair and body hygiene, etc. His only saving grace is that he's too young to have a neckbeard yet.

Jenner posted:

And, believe it or not, America is considered one of the better countries for the poor and disabled simply because we have these programs and support systems even though they have become a hosed up mess wholly designed to find any excuse they can to deny someone who needs help services. The amount of juggling/balance beam poo poo I had to do just to survive was ridiculous. I needed the assistance and I followed their arcane rules and regulations as dutifully as I could but it always felt like they would use every opportunity to throw me off.
Who is it that thinks we're one of the better countries for healthcare?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 31, 2016

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Responsibly armed, eh?

calling for responsible armed insurrection

they're preparing for it because you keep calling for it, responsibly

Troy here makes a good point

remember when we had to say "profile terrorists" instead of "deport all brown people"?

shootin' flags

rioting black thugs everywhere also Obama

every black criminal act is obama

:supaburn: everyone panic

:derp::supaburn: no, now everyone panic more

Would you assist a black person who was in distress?

they aren't

no one said it was?

it is vital that we retweet these australians

petty theft in Dearborn! also unrelated EBT card sale! QED

muslims furious

"Poor micheal, dont you understand, without slavery you would still live in a mud hut and eat grasshoppers, i watched roots 3 times i know how it was"

(It's almost bad enough to make me think it's fake. Almost.)

this is real

destroyed her hair extensions!

When you lie down to pick fleas off rabid dogs, you get bit. Or something. Metaphor in progress.

in conclusion

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
In the interests of defending Ford's good name, he is not actually a Trump supporter. He's a Democrat. :v:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Oh, that last one scared me. Relieved to see Harrison Ford is not in fact a Trump supporter. http://www.snopes.com/harrison-ford-holding-a-trump-sign/

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Haxin Jackson posted:

I know that anti-poor sentiment is a big thing, but I figured a concept like a "living wage" aka 'working and being paid enough to survive' was something everyone could agree on. A lot of these macros bemoan unemployed people who have the audacity to have Things, but apparently even having a job isn't good enough for these fucks. I'm guessing it's a combination of just-world nonsense and free market nonsense -- if you were worth more to your employer, then they would pay you more and you wouldn't be impoverished, you filthy poor -- but god drat it is infuriating.

I've seen enough libertarians around to know the argument. The argument is that a minimum wage (as far as I'm concerned a living wage SHOULD be the minimum wage) hurts workers, because if two guys get hired by the same company, one skilled and one unskilled, they both get paid the same. This overvalues the unskilled worker's labor, and since it's overvalued, this requires the company to undervalue the skilled worker's labor to compensate. If there was no minimum wage, then a company could correctly value the unskilled worker's labor and pay them less, which would give them enough money to properly value the skilled worker's labor, allowing them to be paid more. If the unskilled worker doesn't like that, they can go find a job somewhere where they're more skilled and thus get paid more.

So yeah, it's the idea that it's unfair to the poor corporations that they can't pay the correct value of a person's labor and are forced to pay more by the mean ol' government, and if we'd just let businesses pay as little as they wanted, everyone would magically become wealthier (or die in the streets but they were just worthless unskilled peons who deserved it anyway).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I am shocked - SHOCKED to learn that Harrison Ford pic was a photoshop and not simply a badly-aligned printing press

Twelve by Pies posted:

I've seen enough libertarians around to know the argument. The argument is that a minimum wage (as far as I'm concerned a living wage SHOULD be the minimum wage) hurts workers, because if two guys get hired by the same company, one skilled and one unskilled, they both get paid the same.
Here's a quick BechdelLitmus test - how many women can you name (private or public figures are acceptable,) who're Libertarians? Ever wonder why?

Spoiler: It doesn't have to do with minimum wage, but it does have to do with how someone who's already in a position of entitlement feels that it's totally alright to leave everyone to fend for themselves because everyman

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 31, 2016

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Defenestration posted:

no one said it was?

It's a response to this article:
http://washingtonspectator.org/the-story-of-the-other-racist-flag/

It definitely didn't get blown out of proportion.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Is it just me or are EPORW getting even more unhinged lately? Like they've always been super pissy about how they are unfairly profiled just because they keep talking about how they are totally going to shoot the highest positions in the country every day but they seem to be chomping at the bit to mow down college students or some poo poo, the election winding down seems to be really storing some powder kegs with these people.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ManlyGrunting posted:

Is it just me or are EPORW getting even more unhinged lately? Like they've always been super pissy about how they are unfairly profiled just because they keep talking about how they are totally going to shoot the highest positions in the country every day but they seem to be chomping at the bit to mow down college students or some poo poo, the election winding down seems to be really storing some powder kegs with these people.

EPORW isn't an actual font of opinion it's an outrage generator in order to gin up mailing lists for conservative fundraisers and stuff so they really have no incentive to not go completely lunatic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

coyo7e posted:

Who is it that thinks we're one of the better countries for healthcare?

Woah, no, no, no. Don't misunderstand me. Our health care system is awful (though we're finally trying to do something about it now, thanks Obama!) And while receiving adequate mental and physical health care is of crucially important influence to the lives of disabled and poor people. It is the fact that we have systems in place to support and provide for the poor and disabled and, at least in the case of the disabled, the US has laws in place that, ideally, protect them from discrimination based on their disability as well as insure they have accomodations and equal acess (wheelchair ramps, handicapped parking spaces, etc.) It is mostly this which causes America to be viewed as a country that is "good" for people of those statuses.

More socialist countries might be better, I don't know, I have no experience with them. I only know what it is like to be disabled in America and I know I was fortunate to be born here. And, despite the hardship and frustration I endured, I was lucky and blessed to have the support systems that insured my survival and a basic quality of life. #stockholmsyndrome