Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

thorsilver posted:

I've never played this but it's been sitting on my PSP for ages. Is it worth trying? I've heard it's a bit lacking compared to Trigger in terms of story and characters, but I'm down for an interesting battle system.

I'm trying to read about how it works but the explanations I've found aren't that useful. What makes it interesting?

It's a good game with incredible music that is ruined only by it's tenous and badly thought out connection to Chrono Trigger. If you pretend it's not connected at all and ignore the (very few) scenes that directly reference Chrono Trigger, it's a much better experience that stands better on it's own. The battle system is unique and the way they handle leveling makes grinding completely unneeded.

I'd say it's only other major flaw is that most of the characters lack personality because there's so many of them. They don't even get their own lines, they just get generic dialogue with each characters vocal quirks added.

It shouldn't have been a Chrono game. It's be more fondly remembered if it wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The White Dragon posted:

i think part of the problem is that in chrono trigger you would've been able to

That's what I liked though. Cross was designed because the original director didn't want to do a traditional sequel or anything like that; he wanted to make a game that would challenge audiences in new ways.

If you break Cross down into its respective parts, it's pretty astonishing how groundbreaking it was. There are multiple branching paths with sincere differences in story and gameplay; all of the dungeons are really unique and have some crazy gimmicks, like the boulder tossing at Viper Manor Bluffs or the sewer maze later on; every location has a lot of hidden depth, even if they may be just two screens large. It is a game that has a really narrow focus in terms of game world (you never leave the El Nido Archipelago) but as a result it fills every inch of that world with stuff to notice and discover.

There are too many ideas at once, of course, but goddamn wouldn't it be nice if we still lived in a time where overambition could result in something so gorgeous?

EDIT: Hell, if they did a third Chrono game, I'd hope they blend both games together, and have whizz bang time travel adventures that only serve to make the world worse and worse in weirder and weirder ways. Like the Butterfly Effect, but not so dumb. Turning the magic fix-it button around on a player would be really bold.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 29, 2017

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think I was like 14 when I played Chrono Cross and I remember it was super depressing at a lot of points. I still really enjoyed the game but the whole Kid subplot was really well done.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
What I don't understand is why they made it so that you could literally ignore Kid for like half the game but they still treat her like she's incredibly important to Serge if you do that.

Why give that option at all, then?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pureauthor posted:

What I don't understand is why they made it so that you could literally ignore Kid for like half the game but they still treat her like she's incredibly important to Serge if you do that.

Why give that option at all, then?

Because what other game lets you ignore the main heroine? Or even rewards you for doing so? Every other game forces heroism on you -- but you can act otherwise in Cross.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

The game is just about beating you to the ground about feeling lovely, usually for no reason.

I mean you find early on that the world that Serge doesn't exist is just better, but I think Chrono Cross's style is best illustrated with Razzly.

Razzly is just one of many optional NPCs. But to get her level 7 tech you have to let her sister die and allow multiple acts of genocide. No one else requires you to be completely depraved like this but for Razzly you have to be a complete bastard for her to operate at her full potential.

Oh and I forgot that if you want to add your childhood friend, Lenna, to your team you have to repeatedly refuse to give a poo poo about Kid. This has no bearing on the rest of the game; you have to be a dick or you're down a party member.

I don't think there's another game period that's this aggressive in telling you you're a piece of poo poo.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

To get Glenn, one of the best characters in the game, you have to refuse to help Kid when she is poisoned with basilisk venom.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The tonal whiplash of going from an incredibly optimistic game to a rather pessimistic one that goes into how everything you did in the optimistic game was actually bad is...maybe not the best thought-out idea.

Chrono Cross is a weird, weird game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As mentioned, the dwarves quest is amazing. If you chose to help Kid youll go to the dwarves swamp and kill their Hydra which will condemn them to die. They, accurately, call you a monster and say only a human could do something so evil. If you leave Kid to die, however, the very alive dwarves build a massive war party and conquer the fairies and genocide them to the very last.

So your options in the game always results in gendocide, but no matter what you do the dwarves are poo poo heads and shift them blame onto you.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

This was actually my problem with Chrono Trigger. Why are they even doing any of this? Frog wants to gently caress up Magus because Magus ruined his life, Magus wants to gently caress up Lavos because Lavos ruined his life, and the rest are just there because the game needs heroes. They literally have no motivation as Lavos is roughly 1000 years in their future and they find out about all this very shortly after their time traveling made Marle blip out of existence. So instead of saying "time travel is dangerous, let's not do it again." they took the exact opposite lesson and said "let's screw with history on an unprecedented scale."
So to confirm: You think Chrono Trigger would be better if the lead characters, rather than go on an adventure to save the world when they learn it will be destroyed, should just go home and say "well, it'll be a thousand years before the world is destroyed, let's go home and forget all that."

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Barudak posted:

As mentioned, the dwarves quest is amazing. If you chose to help Kid youll go to the dwarves swamp and kill their Hydra which will condemn them to die. They, accurately, call you a monster and say only a human could do something so evil. If you leave Kid to die, however, the very alive dwarves build a massive war party and conquer the fairies and genocide them to the very last.

So your options in the game always results in gendocide, but no matter what you do the dwarves are poo poo heads and shift them blame onto you.

The Hydra dies no matter what; it's either hunted by you or other human hunters.

Notable though that the Hydra is already extinct in one world -- so you have to go commit another extinction in another world in order to get it (since I guess that's the only Hydra left).

Of course it gets even weirder when you get to the end and find out that the worlds you explore are being controlled behind the scenes by time ghosts.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I wonder what Chrono Break would've been like.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also if the ecosystem is already so fragile that killing of one creature is enough to completely ruin it, maybe you should be looking for other places to live in anyway.

Like, what happens if it gets a heart attack or something.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pureauthor posted:

Also if the ecosystem is already so fragile that killing of one creature is enough to completely ruin it, maybe you should be looking for other places to live in anyway.

Like, what happens if it gets a heart attack or something.

I always got the impression that Hydras live a long, long time.

Of course, everybody forgets the silver lining: you can go back and find young Hydra in the Hydra's lair. The dwarves were wrong -- the Hydra isn't extinct, it gave birth before it was killed. I do not know if this always happens or only if you saved Kid. I think you learn this when you get Steena's tech in that area or whoever summons the Hydra ghost.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Mega64 posted:

The tonal whiplash of going from an incredibly optimistic game to a rather pessimistic one that goes into how everything you did in the optimistic game was actually bad is...maybe not the best thought-out idea.

Chrono Cross is a weird, weird game.

The writer of Chrono Cross, Masato Kato, also wrote for games such as FF7, Xenogears and even the original Chrono Trigger. I guess he does have a history of writing some darker story lines but maybe parts of Chrono Cross could have been more hopeful.

Then again, people love games like the Witcher which are really depressing in places too, but you don't expect to see that kind of scenario on the backdrop of a tropical archipelago.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Chrono Cross is the kid in the back of the room saying "Well actually..."

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Chrono Cross was so ambitious and so unique and the music was so good and some of the places had such great atmosphere that it could have been one of the best games had they spent a lot more time on it. If the plot was more comprehensible and wasn't told to you all at one time in enormous text dumps, if the characters were better and made you care in the slightest about them, if the battles weren't so goddamn slow. There's a lot of good in there, but as is, I think it's just a disaster unfortunately.

The info dumps are worth seeing only to laugh at how insane it is.

For those of you that haven't seen the end (I don't blame you) or haven't seen it in a long time, I recommend reading our Dark Id's descriptive Let's Play of of the text dumps.

It's as crazy as video games have ever got.

https://lparchive.org/Chrono-Cross/Update%2075/
https://lparchive.org/Chrono-Cross/Update%2076/
https://lparchive.org/Chrono-Cross/Update%2077/
https://lparchive.org/Chrono-Cross/Update%2084/
https://lparchive.org/Chrono-Cross/Update%2086/

For a bonus, you get to see how Serge would react to the plot clusterfuck being told to him, which makes it more bearable to get through.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

FactsAreUseless posted:

So to confirm: You think Chrono Trigger would be better if the lead characters, rather than go on an adventure to save the world when they learn it will be destroyed, should just go home and say "well, it'll be a thousand years before the world is destroyed, let's go home and forget all that."
Well that's what I would do in the situation, but its also a scenario handled by just not playing Chrono Trigger.

Actually isn't there a dialog about that in the first visit to the apocalypse with a Lucca going but you must option?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

beergod posted:

is world of final fantasy worth getting?

Yes

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

what the gently caress is this great crystal dungeon in 12

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I like the great crystal

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Andrast posted:

The worst dungeon in Final Fantasy outside of FF3.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Andrast posted:

Its a maze with no map, which is fine. Except every room is similar, and there's a million zones, and teleporting, just so it's impossible to make a mental map.
I never did find hastega.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Andrast posted:

The shittiest part of any FF game ever

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

zedprime posted:

Well that's what I would do in the situation
Really?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I am in fact not enjoying the great crystal very much

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

What FFs had good final dungeons

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Norns posted:

What FFs had good final dungeons

FF8
FF9

...FF6

EDIT: Oh of course Final Fantasy V actually has an awesome dungeon that's like got ten boss fights and is in a void in space

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I liked 7's too

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I just don't remember any of them.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

FF8
FF9

...FF6

EDIT: Oh of course Final Fantasy V actually has an awesome dungeon that's like got ten boss fights and is in a void in space

FF4. Every random battle was a boss battle, it was filled with secrets and super boss battles, and you had the awesome Red Wings theme for it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Well, yeah. You can join the Peace Corps today and be a literal RPG hero saving the world, or at least extending length of life and improving quality of life for strangers who would have no bearing on your life at home otherwise. I am not about to join the Peace Corps or go on a time travelling adventure to save the future because I have important things to do like argue about Final Fantasy on the internet and finally play through more than the first half of FF12 now that it has fast forward.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NikkolasKing posted:

This was actually my problem with Chrono Trigger. Why are they even doing any of this? Frog wants to gently caress up Magus because Magus ruined his life, Magus wants to gently caress up Lavos because Lavos ruined his life, and the rest are just there because the game needs heroes. They literally have no motivation as Lavos is roughly 1000 years in their future and they find out about all this very shortly after their time traveling made Marle blip out of existence. So instead of saying "time travel is dangerous, let's not do it again." they took the exact opposite lesson and said "let's screw with history on an unprecedented scale."

Uhhhhh what the gently caress?

Thanks Gary Johnson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHxXz2XU3io

zedprime posted:

Well that's what I would do in the situation, but its also a scenario handled by just not playing Chrono Trigger.

Actually isn't there a dialog about that in the first visit to the apocalypse with a Lucca going but you must option?

And nobody wants to play a videogame where they grow up to be zedprime, sorry pal

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Great Crystal is good because it's one of the few genuinely challenging areas of the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I think it's kind of charming that the characters just leap at the chance to save the world. They're a bunch of optimistic teenagers who just found out time travel is real. I bet all three of them have fantasized about going on a grand adventure before. This is their chance. Why not jump at it?

Levantine posted:

Great Crystal is good because it's one of the few genuinely challenging areas of the game.

Man do I hate Hell Blaster and its huge cocktail of status effects.

Or, well, I did until I realized Remedies can cure all of them if you have three lores :v:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

zedprime posted:

Well, yeah. You can join the Peace Corps today and be a literal RPG hero saving the world, or at least extending length of life and improving quality of life for strangers who would have no bearing on your life at home otherwise. I am not about to join the Peace Corps or go on a time travelling adventure to save the future because I have important things to do like argue about Final Fantasy on the internet and finally play through more than the first half of FF12 now that it has fast forward.

A lot of conversation in this thread tends to ignore the context that we're all spoiled city dwellers whose reaction to a bear peeking in their tent wouldn't be to stand up and unsheath our hanzo steel. ;)

But if you can, please donate to some charities?

Harrow posted:

I think it's kind of charming that the characters just leap at the chance to save the world. They're a bunch of optimistic teenagers who just found out time travel is real. I bet all three of them have fantasized about going on a grand adventure before. This is their chance. Why not jump at it?

I didn't want to quote Nikkolas, I feel like I pick on him plenty, but yeah, my reaction to that post was an audible groan. I loved the scene where the group finds out about the day of Lavos ruining the future and decides to stop it then and there! And you get to affirm! Hell yeah!!

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 29, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It helps that immediately before they discover the truth about the future, Crono and company learn firsthand that their local government is completely inept and can't be counted upon. They're basically fugitives at this point as well, so you could see it as "we have nothing to lose, and the future needs our help!"

Plus if you needed more motivation, their optimism basically helped that miserable dome they found that info in. Just being there and wanting to do good improved those peoples' lives, even a little bit.

Both Chrono Cross and Trigger actually share a similar message that even if a situation is hopeless, it is still good to do what you can, however you can, to improve it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

some guy on the bus posted:

FF4. Every random battle was a boss battle, it was filled with secrets and super boss battles, and you had the awesome Red Wings theme for it.

FF4 is one of my favorites, but gently caress the last dungeon. All the encounters are annoying and suck. The secrets and super boss fights are okay, but it all is too long for me to like. Then again, I also don't really like most FF final dungeons so

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It helps that immediately before they discover the truth about the future, Crono and company learn firsthand that their local government is completely inept and can't be counted upon. They're basically fugitives at this point as well, so you could see it as "we have nothing to lose, and the future needs our help!"

Plus if you needed more motivation, their optimism basically helped that miserable dome they found that info in. Just being there and wanting to do good improved those peoples' lives, even a little bit.

Both Chrono Cross and Trigger actually share a similar message that even if a situation is hopeless, it is still good to do what you can, however you can, to improve it.

Except Cross tells you those people you gave hope to are destined to suffer in limbo for eternity and there's nothing you can do to stop that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ROFL Octopus posted:

Except Cross tells you those people you gave hope to are destined to suffer in limbo for eternity and there's nothing you can do to stop that.

Getting the true ending of Chrono Cross seems to suggest that you've unfucked the time stream, freeing Schala and maybe even undoing all the damage.

Beyond that, it's still got moments of optimism. Marbule is saved through the power of glam rock and the unity of demihumans and humans; the Dragons and Chronopolis are ultimately destroyed and El Nido is freed from their control for the first time in its existence.

I'm not even sure if the fact that CT's timeline seems to result in a bad end is even set in stone after CC. For all we know there's a lot of branching realities that contain happier outcomes to the CT cast -- but I think the fact that time travel can have incredibly bad reprecussions is a fairly logical outcome to CT's story and likely what would happen in real life too.

The only real letdown in CC is that the final boss is just Lavos again