Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Talking total fucking shit and making SA worse for everyone since 2016. Ask me about my terrible life decisions.
Sad breaking news I’m afraid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Wes honestly believes that he can get private companies to run the nonemergency parts of the NHS, by giving the relevant parts of the budget to them instead of the NHS. Either that or do what they did with the power and water companies and funnel resources into 3rd party middlemen.

These companies will of course then make the budgets more 'efficient,' because that's what for-profit companies do. He earnestly believes this, because lobbyists from these companies take him out to big dinners and conferences and say this to him, then pay him exorbitant speaking fees to repeat it back to them to make sure he's got it.

What he's missed is that they will do this by cutting every corner possible, funneling resources to shareholders and executives instead of patients, and letting patients die or live uncured with debilitating conditions (and of course no welfare support) - until there are no more corners to be cut, no more profit to be extracted, at which point they'll demand they be given the right to charge patients at the point of use / demand a bailout / close the companies down and walk away leaving the NHS hobbled.

But of course, all of this will have happened long after he's left politics, and gotten a position as Chief Special Boy on the board of (entirely coincidentally) the healthcare companies profiteering from the policies he enacted

He is the dead-eyed face of sociopathy, and the worst thing about it is he's probably going to be PM at some point.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

by vyelkin
FT published a story about a tory who was sold a piece of land worth £100m for £100, the tax payer paid £483m to clean up the site, and he was able to sell the scrap metal from that cleanup for £90m. You have to love these freeports...

https://www.ft.com/content/c5c6a3f7-33ea-4973-9b40-d7088470cbb2

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Wes honestly believes that he can get private companies to run the nonemergency parts of the NHS, by giving the relevant parts of the budget to them instead of the NHS. Either that or do what they did with the power and water companies and funnel resources into 3rd party middlemen.

These companies will of course then make the budgets more 'efficient,' because that's what for-profit companies do. He earnestly believes this, because lobbyists from these companies take him out to big dinners and conferences and say this to him, then pay him exorbitant speaking fees to repeat it back to them to make sure he's got it.

What he's missed is that they will do this by cutting every corner possible, funneling resources to shareholders and executives instead of patients, and letting patients die or live uncured with debilitating conditions (and of course no welfare support) - until there are no more corners to be cut, no more profit to be extracted, at which point they'll demand they be given the right to charge patients at the point of use / demand a bailout / close the companies down and walk away leaving the NHS hobbled.

But of course, all of this will have happened long after he's left politics, and gotten a position as Chief Special Boy on the board of (entirely coincidentally) the healthcare companies profiteering from the policies he enacted

He is the dead-eyed face of sociopathy, and the worst thing about it is he's probably going to be PM at some point.

Hmm, I’m not sure he’ll ever be PM personally. He’s like, really really off putting. Keith is a personality vacuum, but anecdotally whenever he’s come on telly and I’ve been at my nanas or generally when he comes
up amongst people who aren’t super into politics (or are quite but aren’t particularly left wing) people seem to be repulsed by him. Like Keith is nothing, but Wes is a piece of rotten meat - the mind naturally says ‘no, there’s something not right there, steer clear’.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I personally thought the same of Cameron but the papers loved his whole 'sensible and pragmatic' shtick.

It's not that I think he has any redeeming qualities, I just get the sense that the right people will be able to pretend he's palatable enough because he says the right things to keep the right grifts rolling.

Him, Cameron and Starmer are all stamped from the same, wet, rubbery mould.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I personally thought the same of Cameron but the papers loved his whole 'sensible and pragmatic' shtick.

It's not that I think he has any redeeming qualities, I just get the sense that the right people will be able to pretend he's palatable enough because he says the right things to keep the right grifts rolling.

Him, Cameron and Starmer are all stamped from the same, wet, rubbery mould.

Yeah can’t disagree there, maybe I’m just optimistic in literally the smallest way imaginable. Anyone else off to the Palestine rally in Manchester?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

fuctifino posted:

FT published a story about a tory who was sold a piece of land worth £100m for £100, the tax payer paid £483m to clean up the site, and he was able to sell the scrap metal from that cleanup for £90m. You have to love these freeports...

https://www.ft.com/content/c5c6a3f7-33ea-4973-9b40-d7088470cbb2

Ahahahahahahahaha I love this country.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It'll actually be quite easy for private healthcare firms to show how much better* the NHS has become under their administration. Because Wes and the government will give them a few KPIs that are relatively easy to achieve.
This is the same process as various governments have used for everything else they've ever privatised: find some utterly surface-level bullshit that the Govt can point to and say "see, they did it" while ignoring everything else. See: train companies cancelling shitloads of trains so the ones they run are 'on time' - performance target met!
See: schools laser focussing on exam results and excluding or off-rolling any child who'll jeapordise that; or OFSTED one-word summaries and teaching their staff how to lie to inspectors so the inspection is as good as possible.

The only way you can show that privatising things makes them better is if you close your eyes and ignore 99% of the end result. So of course that's what they do.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

smellmycheese posted:

Pretty clear he means “free to visit a doctor and have something diagnosed. After that - get yer chequebook out”

lol if you think a Labour government will bring back the ability to simply “visit” a doctor

it will be free to phone nhs 111, assuming you make it through the chatgpt triage first

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

by vyelkin
Chat-GP

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

glad you’re alright crispix, what a loving shitshow this country has become

fuctifino posted:

He apparently wants to die in a ditch. Can anyone assist?

https://twitter.com/theipaper/status/1753477484287332441
gazing into my crystal ball, I can see people quoting this tweet back at him when the charges are inevitably brought in and being told doing so is a death threat

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

by vyelkin
Dead mum update: I finally had the mental energy to open the two emails from my mum's solicitor just now, and it appears as both my brother and his son have completely ghosted the solicitor's demand to return any items taken from the house. She sent me a gallery of photographs of plates and cleaning gadgets for me to select what I wanted, while diplomatically mentioning nothing about TVs, jewelry, tools, dad's book & whisky collections or sentimental items of mine that I'd specifically requested info about, so I guess none of those items are there.

I'm not sure at what point she's going to be forced to involve the police, but stealing documented items that are in the custody of a solicitor doesn't seem the sensiblist of decisions, but then neither is stalling a process that has expensive weekly and monthly charges either. Hohum.

e2a: A photo of Wes digging a ditch to die in

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 3, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

Sad breaking news I’m afraid.

Another senseless victim of the Ditch Wanking Challenge

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

OwlFancier posted:

If you have access to a pharmacy you could also steal one of their green totes which are basically indestructible. Hopper do not read the preceding post.

E: Oh neat you can actually just buy the fuckers and the dollies for them too.

https://plasticboxwarehouse.co.uk/product/25l-original-totebox-400-x-300-x-320h-mm-2/?attribute_pa_colour=greengreen

https://plasticboxwarehouse.co.uk/product-category/recycled-containers/recycled-attached-lid-containers/

gently caress now I have to restrain my self from buying a pile of old supermarket totes. I don't need them but I want them.

E2: Oh my god you can just buy a loving grit box. That's like a tenth the price of a coffin and way funnier to die in.

https://plasticboxwarehouse.co.uk/product-category/large-bulk-containers-and-pallets/grit-bins/

Just saw this. The suppliers keep writing pleading emails asking for their totes back because every pharmacy in the world just uses them for storage and hides them about the place lol. Any of you ever find me I'll give you one

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Glad you got a diagnosis crispix! Join my hosed Up Eyes club.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

fuctifino posted:

I'm not sure at what point she's going to be forced to involve the police, but stealing documented items that are in the custody of a solicitor doesn't seem the sensiblist of decisions, but then neither is stalling a process that has expensive weekly and monthly charges either. Hohum.

If that's an option and you don't have to talk to the other parties involved yourself then personally I'd tell her to go absolutely full bore on that, make it clear that you aren't going to back down and haven't forgotten what was in there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013
ASK ME WHAT I DID TO KEEP MY STAR AFTER EDITING OTHER PEOPLES POSTS

8============D

HopperUK posted:

Just saw this. The suppliers keep writing pleading emails asking for their totes back because every pharmacy in the world just uses them for storage and hides them about the place lol. Any of you ever find me I'll give you one

That does explain why one of my friends keeps getting given them to keep her meds in. I assumed they just trusted her a lot.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Sitting in my mum's empty bungalow keeping her cat company for a bit trying to not freak out before I go try to figure out what hospital they transferred her to and bring her some knitting and clean clothes.

Don't suppose anyone knows much about MSA (Multiple System Atrophy) vs Parkinsons?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Talking total fucking shit and making SA worse for everyone since 2016. Ask me about my terrible life decisions.
I regret to announce Keith has lost Jimmy Bollock

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If that's an option and you don't have to talk to the other parties involved yourself then personally I'd tell her to go absolutely full bore on that, make it clear that you aren't going to back down and haven't forgotten what was in there.

Absolutely. Lawyers are something you hire for a reason. They know how to do this and ime tend to quite enjoy being unleashed on someone they can legally gently caress up - unleash hell on your evil family mate.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Ain’t the legal fees coming out of the estate? Do your turd relatives know this? Would think it’d give them a decent incentive to actually follow through - maybe the solicitors could draft a letter (and bill for said letter) to really land that message?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

After being a member for thirteen months and two days I finally turned up to my first Green Party event this morning and was immediately asked by about five different people if I fancied standing as a candidate in the locals.

Officially a bunch of thirsty bitches.

Might do it for a laugh, it's not like I'm busy with my job and union and family and two bands and and and...

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

It's inconsistent because they're constantly chasing Newspaper columnists approval and Newspaper Columnists are as a people dumb as gently caress, spoilt little nepo babies who love to be contrary.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

by vyelkin

Flux Wildly posted:

Ain’t the legal fees coming out of the estate? Do your turd relatives know this?

Yeah, it's coming out of their share of the estate after I'm given my predetermined tiny slice. My brother is one of the stupidest people I've ever known.

I've made it clear to the solicitor that I want every item accounted for, and I'm in no rush

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

thanks, almost everyone*

*don't know what 99 posted but regardless would like to tell him to go gently caress himself :hehe:

Sorry to hear about the A&E horror story but at least they were very thorough when you got through the door.

On the plus side expect invitations to be a subject in varuous medical student and doctor exams. Horner's is one of those conditions that has clear signs and if they've not found one of the causes that are about to kill you (lung cancer or a carotid dissection) then you're going to be a goldmine for medicalphysician assistant education.

kingturnip posted:

The only way you can show that privatising things makes them better is if you close your eyes and ignore 99% of the end result. So of course that's what they do.

Or they come in for 3 months, make that waiting list disappear into follow-up land and the regular staff have to pick up the mess when the annoyed patients with half-assed management plans show up 6 months later.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Mebh posted:

Don't suppose anyone knows much about MSA (Multiple System Atrophy) vs Parkinsons?

I would talk about it with the medical staff overseeing your mother's care: Googling stuff etc is just going to make you more anxious. Hope your mum's feeling better soon.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

yeah i hope ma mebh feels better soon

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fuctifino posted:

Yeah, it's coming out of their share of the estate after I'm given my predetermined tiny slice. My brother is one of the stupidest people I've ever known.

I've made it clear to the solicitor that I want every item accounted for, and I'm in no rush

Bummer about all of this, unleash the solicitors as your brother may not be too used to the violence inherent to legal letters.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

by vyelkin
^^^ Thanks. I'm going to demand that the solicitor accounts for everything, regardless of the cost.

Ofsted inspectors ‘make up evidence’ about a school’s performance when IT fails

quote:

Ofsted inspectors have been forced to “make up” evidence because the computer system they use to record inspections sometimes crashes, ­wiping all the data, an Observer ­investigation has found.

Since 2018, inspectors have made live notes on laptops or tablets as they interview staff and observe ­lessons after Ofsted invested in a new ­electronic evidence gathering (EEG) digital platform. However, our investigation has discovered the technology has had serious issues from the beginning, sometimes crashing unexpectedly and losing all notes from interviews, or even whole days of evidence, so that inspectors have to replace those notes from memory without telling the school.

The Observer spoke to several current or recent inspectors on condition of anonymity who said such problems had been “common” for years, and that senior leaders within Ofsted were aware of this, but “there has been a lot of covering up”.

I think I've run out of words...

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I assume it’s a given that school where the headteacher killed herself will turn out to be one of these

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

8============D
That's literally every sort of electronic record keeping method I have ever used. The world runs on people making up best guesses when the process fails.

Honestly it just seems daft that everything is assumed to work 100% of the time and everyone is supposed to keep up that pretense when it doesn't. There's no facility for "oh the tablet crashed and we lost the information" because that costs someone money.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

This came up before in one of my previous jobs that involved regulatory investigations.

The solution that was found was to issue people official notebooks, and notes were also taken there before being digitized. So if the electronic files failed, you still had a physical backup.

It wasn't very expensive to do.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

smellmycheese posted:

Inside LOTO are two wolves bottles

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

That's literally every sort of electronic record keeping method I have ever used. The world runs on people making up best guesses when the process fails.

Honestly it just seems daft that everything is assumed to work 100% of the time and everyone is supposed to keep up that pretense when it doesn't. There's no facility for "oh the tablet crashed and we lost the information" because that costs someone money.

Some electronic patient records are very robust when it comes to preserving data that's entered but it comes at the expense of requiring an always on connection back to the servers and it will default to not letting you record anything if it cannot guarantee that data will be preserved. It works very well until the local 4g tower or central server goes down at which point its back to bits of paper

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

8============D

The Question IRL posted:

This came up before in one of my previous jobs that involved regulatory investigations.

The solution that was found was to issue people official notebooks, and notes were also taken there before being digitized. So if the electronic files failed, you still had a physical backup.

It wasn't very expensive to do.

That does mean basically double recording everything though so it costs twice as much time.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/William_iamiare/status/1753705270117539899

Gove is up to his neck in lots of fraud and scams, including that dodgy freeport land deal I mentioned earlier.

The biggest PPE contract was given to the Plymouth Brethren Christian Church (a literal cult) who were given just over a billion pounds overall

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 3, 2024

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I would bet a reasonable sum that the inspectors are forbidden from using any other method to record notes, including pen and paper, for reaso--oh wait there it is right there in the article:

quote:

Three inspectors reported that they or colleagues started making notes in Word because they didn’t trust the system, but Ofsted threatened disciplinary action if they didn’t use EEG.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

TACD posted:

I assume it’s a given that school where the headteacher killed herself will turn out to be one of these

Nah the incident that set that off was the headmistress being told, during her first ever inspection in that role, that the school would receive it's worst ever rating because the inspector saw a kid flossing (which means CSA must have occured). Absolutely batshit, and potentially career-ending, decision from someone with no business being in the job, so not really the same.

The actual claim in this article is that inspectors have to work from memory during a writeup and some may have approximated evidence. My housemates SW department just received another outstanding but if you heard him just talking shop he'd say much worse about Liberi.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Spangly A posted:

the school would receive it's worst ever rating because the inspector saw a kid flossing (which means CSA must have occured)

What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The system my service uses will effectively lock you out of saving anything if the network is interrupted while you're using it.
Which is fine if you're on a hardline connection, but sort of a problem at lunchtime when the VPN goes to complete poo poo. I hope you weren't using your lunch break 12:00 - 14:00 to write your notes!

We're fortunate at least that no-one seems to care if we use Word.