Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Pretty sure I got hit with the EXP bug too. Time to hold off on quests and just explore a bunch I guess. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Wait, what? If the XP bug is keeping me from leveling up past level 8 it sure as poo poo is affecting the game balance. What a lovely statement, they don't even mention how to avoid it.

I think you're being a bit hyperbolic, most of the secondary quests give you 10/25/50 XP on completion. Main quests and contracts give you hundreds of XP each and it's really easy to overlevel in this game unless you're beelining the main quest.

Yeah it's lovely but I really doubt it is going to break your game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

I think you're being a bit hyperbolic, most of the secondary quests give you 10/25/50 XP on completion. Main quests and contracts give you hundreds of XP each and it's really easy to overlevel in this game unless you're beelining the main quest.

Yeah it's lovely but I really doubt it is going to break your game.

There's level restrictions all over the place and if you're not gaining xp you're not gaining xp. If you're already at a high level it's not a big deal, but if you're low level it kind of is.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Levantine posted:

Thank you for this - I think I've relied too heavily on using weather cards even though I'm using that Foltest you recommend. I'll look at taking them out and trying to draw more face cards instead. I do alright against really bum opponents but the quest guys are tough.

Go run around and buy cards off innkeepers, you should be able to pick up both the spies, a couple horns and dummies, and some good siege cards as well as the Dragon Cavalry(5 Ranged with the double for both) and at least another copy of the 4 strength infantry which also has the doubler ability.

Verranicus posted:

So I've mostly been ignoring Gwent so far, about to head to Skellige for the first time. Can I safely hold off on any Gwent related quests til after I finish the main story, or do some disappear?

There is a point of no return, after the Skellige. I don't know for certain if that affects Gwent quests but you'll be fine just traveling to Skellige.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 29, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've stopped playing until the XP bug gets resolved, which I hope is soon, because I'd love to devote way too much of this weekend to Witching it up.

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011

Gaussian posted:

Romance question:
I already did a Triss playthough and now want to do a Yennefer playthrough, but don't want to go all the way back to the beginning. I have a save where I made out with Triss. Will that prevent a Yennefer romance or is it only based on sleeping with the other person?

If you romance Yen is she less caustic to you over the course of the game?

Is that the quest at the party? If so, then no. It's the later quest at the docks that matters.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So are human opponents basically Axii Or Naught? I don't have any problem killing them but it's basically a slugging match due to their ability to apparently parry most attacks - even when out of stamina! - and an annoying tendency to suddenly break into a counter attack when they're already in their ouch animation.

Just wondering if Axii is their intended solution or I'm just missing something a little more elegant.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So if you notice that you got that bug for no xp from a quest, does not reverting to a previous save when you know it was working and just try again and see if it hits you the next time?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Yen/Triss romance triggers are not exclusive and it's pretty obvious when you're committing to one. If you've already flagged one, flagging the other will result in two-timing. If you have a save where you already committed it won't work.

However, you can pretty much freely bang anyone else you want.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

poptart_fairy posted:

So are human opponents basically Axii Or Naught? I don't have any problem killing them but it's basically a slugging match due to their ability to apparently parry most attacks - even when out of stamina! - and an annoying tendency to suddenly break into a counter attack when they're already in their ouch animation.

Just wondering if Axii is their intended solution or I'm just missing something a little more elegant.

Igni will set them on fire, unless they have a shield or are higher level and Aard will knock them over(similar restrictions apply) or at least push them back like you parried their attack.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Axii, Aard, Igni, and bombs can help a ton. Aard is great when it knocks them down, because you can one-hit kill them then. Igni can light them on fire, which makes them panic and lets you get some free hits. Bombs sometimes just explode humans, or the Dancing Star bomb will light them on fire like Igni if your Sign intensity isn't great or you're doing an alchemy build.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So if you notice that you got that bug for no xp from a quest, does not reverting to a previous save when you know it was working and just try again and see if it hits you the next time?

I'd try that, but I've done so many things since then (mostly running around gathering recipes and crafting diagrams, not questing) that I don't really want to redo that I think I'd rather wait for a bug fix.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Aard is good for fighting humans, so is Igni. If they're parrying, Aard them in the face and they'll either get stunned/knocked back or knocked down for a one-hit-kill. Igni's just as good for lighting them on fire as it is for other enemies, letting you get to archers while the rest flail around and so on. And counter-attacking is pretty decent in its own right even without the talent that gives you a 30%/rank damage boost after a counter.

I wish human enemies were a little more dangerous, tbh, because you're right, Axii and kiting does make them pretty simple.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Holy poo poo, the main quest after finding Ciri gives so much experience. Even though I went into the Isle of Mists overleveled, by the end of the defense of Kaer Morhen I'd gone from level 25 to 29. Getting multiple levels at once was a new experience for me in this game.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

poptart_fairy posted:

Repeated strong attacks break through their guards very fast if you can get someone by himself for a second. It's foolproof against most human opponents one on one, though it won't work on people with two-handers or shields. Igni and Aard also work wonders, if you get sick of Axii. Finally, the high level special abilities in the combat tree apparently either tear through stamina super fast or can't be blocked at all. I haven't had much of a chance to play with them because my build is very hungry for both stamina and adrenaline.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
If you're feeling XP-starved and/or just want a change of place from exploring Velen: Peasant Misery Simulator, head to Novigrad. There are a ton of awesome quests there that have minimal combat and will shower you in xp, it's mostly dialogue and Witcher sleuthing.

Although, if you're going to Novigrad at below level 10 or so, be wary of roaming back alleys at night time or you might get mugged.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You know what I love about an Alchemy build? It gives me the opportunity to be good at everything all at once, especially thanks to that Synergy ability that gives +50% mutagen bonuses. That, and Delayed Recovery makes potions like Petri's Philter and Thunderbolt last for ages, so I can hit hard, my Signs work well, my Vitality is crazy high, and all I have to do is throw a sack of coins at every herbalist I see and meditate a little more often.

It's nice to have 200 max Toxicity so I can even run two decoctions at once if I want to. Even with only a handful of Alchemy abilities my decoctions last a full hour.

Alchemy owns.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 29, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Alright thanks guys, guess I'm just over-thinking the humans a bit too much. :shobon:

That's my only "major" issue with the game really - as complex as the combat makes itself out to be things are pretty simple when you get down to things. Sign, stab, done. Even major boss fights are mostly dodge, sign, stab, repeat. It's a bit of a shame but I suppose the combat being the weakest part of a story driven character RPG is to be expected, haha.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

poptart_fairy posted:

Alright thanks guys, guess I'm just over-thinking the humans a bit too much. :shobon:

That's my only "major" issue with the game really - as complex as the combat makes itself out to be things are pretty simple when you get down to things. Sign, stab, done. Even major boss fights are mostly dodge, sign, stab, repeat. It's a bit of a shame but I suppose the combat being the weakest part of a story driven character RPG is to be expected, haha.

Yeah it's certainly not the game's strongest aspect - it does the job about 10x better than any elder scrolls game ever did, but that's like saying it smells 10x better than fresh turds.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Would reverting to patch 1.03 be a sensible thing to do? The patch notes for 1.04 affect things I think I had no problem with before. I realize that doing so means I would have to start over because you can't load saves made on newer patches.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah it's certainly not the game's strongest aspect - it does the job about 10x better than any elder scrolls game ever did, but that's like saying it smells 10x better than fresh turds.

10x is a lot though.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just did the quest where you help Djikstra & Roche and meet some trolls who learned how to cuss like an Englishman in their own special way, oh and have an obsession with getting shoes :allears:

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Would reverting to patch 1.03 be a sensible thing to do? The patch notes for 1.04 affect things I think I had no problem with before. I realize that doing so means I would have to start over because you can't load saves made on newer patches.

Reverting means no future patches either though.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
I finally got to Skellige and feel like I hit a bit of a difficulty curve; I'm level 20 and these level 15 white wolves are chewing me up.

As I get further and further into the plot and sidequests, this game feels more and more like a sequel to the books rather than the games. There are so many references to past adventures and events (The Last Wish Quest :3:) I do wonder how non-book readers are coping because even I am having difficulty when Geralt or someone will mention a past event or character and I'll have to struggle to think for a moment before I remember which short story they are talking about.

Little romance question for those that have gotten further into the game than I: I'd like to romance Yen so I simply told Triss farewell on the docks - so instead of her saying she will go to Kaer Morhen it is implied she is going to Kovir, never to be seen again. But is this the case? Will Triss turn up again even if I don't romance her or is she gone forever if you simply say farewell?

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Xavier434 posted:

Reverting means no future patches either though.

Not sure I follow. Wouldn't I be able to update to 1.04 then to the next patch after that when it comes out?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
so, after approx 26hrs playing this, I just realised exploding monster nests leaves a nice loot cache behind.

The ones I sploded ages ago aren't likely to be there are they? :(

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

10x is a lot though.

If you want to revert because of the XP bug, don't bother. Devs said it's present in all versions of the game.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Unfunny Poster posted:

I just did the quest where you help Djikstra & Roche and meet some trolls who learned how to cuss like an Englishman in their own special way, oh and have an obsession with getting shoes :allears:

I really wish there was a quest to find a real cobbler to make giant troll shoes for them.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I just got to the romance scene with Triss. That was surprisingly adorable, even Dijkstra seemed touched :3:. The funniest thing was that I had Geralt potioned up to the gills right before the cutscene started, black veins and all, which probably made the whole thing just a tiny bit awkward.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Axii is good but Samum is better. You can also score knockdowns and insta-kills either by attacking from horseback or using the Aard sign.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

WastedJoker posted:

so, after approx 26hrs playing this, I just realised exploding monster nests leaves a nice loot cache behind.

The ones I sploded ages ago aren't likely to be there are they? :(

Nah they're still there. Things seemingly never disappear, even if you drop them on the ground from your inventory. I left a huge pile of notes and books in a square in Novigrad and it's there every time I pass by.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
It's really, really depressing to realize that this is probably the last Witcher game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This game is chock full of references. I just found a reference to Judah Loew, credited as the creator of the mythical Golem of Prague (and probably the inspiration for Judah Low from China Miéville's Iron Council), as a golemancer in some book during the Cat School gear quest.

Kind of enjoying that the references range from internet memes to Jewish folklore.

Woozy posted:

It's really, really depressing to realize that this is probably the last Witcher game.

Last I heard, CDPR has only said that this game ends Geralt's story. They've been unwilling to say there won't ever be another Witcher game, just not another one where you play as Geralt.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I think someone mentioned earlier that in the books Triss uses a potion or a spell or something to get Geralt to sleep with her.
Is Triss a rapist?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Woozy posted:

It's probably the last Geralt game, but even so, it's a lot less depressing for me that it's not just the best Witcher game, it's probably the best RPG I've ever played. How many series go out like that?

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Robutt posted:

Little romance question for those that have gotten further into the game than I: I'd like to romance Yen so I simply told Triss farewell on the docks - so instead of her saying she will go to Kaer Morhen it is implied she is going to Kovir, never to be seen again. But is this the case? Will Triss turn up again even if I don't romance her or is she gone forever if you simply say farewell?

You should play further and see. Short answer: she turns up again

Harrow posted:

Last I heard, CDPR has only said that this game ends Geralt's story. They've been unwilling to say there won't ever be another Witcher game, just not another one where you play as Geralt.
The adventures of Ciri would be amazing. The endgame shows and tells just what ridiculously awesome directions CDPR can go with this universe if they feel like it.

Thunderbro fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 29, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There'll probably be another Witcher game. My guess is you'll either play as Ciri or get to create your own witcher.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Manatee Cannon posted:

There'll probably be another Witcher game. My guess is you'll either play as Ciri or get to create your own witcher.

I'm 100% ok with either of these so I hope you're right.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Nakar posted:

Yen/Triss romance triggers are not exclusive and it's pretty obvious when you're committing to one. If you've already flagged one, flagging the other will result in two-timing. If you have a save where you already committed it won't work.

However, you can pretty much freely bang anyone else you want.

What does flagging mean?

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Greenplastic posted:

What does flagging mean?

Don't try to double team two best friend sorceresses.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
I would be super bummed if you were to create your own Witcher for these games. I think a big part of the reason they're so effective is that Geralt isn't a blank slate Bioware self-insert. Practically all of Witcher 3 is motivated by his history and relationships with a huge number of friends, family members, rivals, enemies, and comrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Thunderbro posted:

Don't try to double team two best friend sorceresses.

I remember someone saying you can sleep with Yen the first time she offers, just don't tell her you love her.