Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
My only investment has been in Hedron Alignment because once I pull off a win with that everyone's totally gonna be scrambling to buy them right?

Right???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Emerson Cod posted:

The game isn't in danger at all. Organized play has issues and Wizards really needs to get rid of the reserved list. I mean, the amount of backlash their eliciting from recent moves is much more than they'd get for scrapping the reserved list.

There's an economy built into the game and, especially recently, they've been doing a good job designing sets that play into that. You can build a deck that can win FNM for $10 but you increase your chances by spending more money or by putting in more time to trade up to the cards you need/want. If someone can print off a playset of Jace Vryn's Prodigy or whatever other card they want to play without putting in the investment or borrowing the cards from someone who did what's the point of that?

Emerson Cod posted:

Don't want to spend money on Magic? Play Magic Workstation. Play with post-it notes with card names and CMCs scrawled on them. No one is stopping you from playing the game, but it isn't fair for players who aren't willing to invest to play in tournaments for money or other prizes.

Maybe it's because I haven't played magic in a while but I'm kind of surprised to see someone actually admit to believing this kind of stuff. If feeling better than the poors is so important to you can't you just join a country club or something?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

My only investment has been in Hedron Alignment because once I pull off a win with that everyone's totally gonna be scrambling to buy them right?

Right???
You're doing it wrong, you need to pay someone $40,000 to play it at the pro tour.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Ramos posted:

I don't know, I think I'm just allergic to the word "invest" around Magic at this point. It gets a bit tiresome constantly hearing about people investing in a deck or investing in a card, whereas other hobbies use notably different diction for the most part, like, say, "buy" or just "get". Buy a soccer ball, get a new sewing machine, etc, etc. People rarely use invest for that sort of stuff, but then most things don't cost nearly as much either.

Ugh.

Death Bot posted:

idk "invest in a new sewing machine" is a reasonable phrase but thats usually "hey upgrade from the hand-me-down one to the $300 one because it will add a lot of features and last you forever, if that's what you want" and not "you aren't allowed to sew and will be kicked out of the sewing store if you don't do this, and if you do you can only sew pillows because the clothing sewing machine is the $800 one"

"Investing" makes more sense in a usability term, meaning you are spending money with the intention of getting something back out of it like "investing in good running shoes" or "investing in new brakes/turbo/tires".

From the collecting aspect the only time you should talk about "investing" in older cards is with the intention of later selling them at (ideally) higher prices than you bought them for. Which I feel is also fine but I feel more applies to rarities like signed promos, miscuts, alters by popular artists, etc. That's investing in a collection.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
gently caress it, I hit the power ball, I'm going store to store to player across the country buying up all of the supply of high dollar vintage and legacy cards I can get, and starting a YouTube channel where I film myself from two angles ripping up a random card, so that the first run through shows the card back, then replays in slow motion the front of the random card getting destroyed.

"I'd never sell you my 16k vintage deck" "not even for32k?"

If Wizards is going full super-villain, so will I.

Well, that and buying all the other condos in 3 Olive's building and moving in poor folk with kids with behavior issues rent free.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

kizudarake posted:

gently caress it, I hit the power ball, I'm going store to store to player across the country buying up all of the supply of high dollar vintage and legacy cards I can get, and starting a YouTube channel where I film myself from two angles ripping up a random card, so that the first run through shows the card back, then replays in slow motion the front of the random card getting destroyed.

Well, that and buying all the other condos in 3 Olive's building and moving in poor folk with kids with behavior issues rent free.

make a super weapon that just makes it uncomfortably humid and curls all the foils.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Pyronic posted:

make a super weapon that just makes it uncomfortably humid and curls all the foils.

It's called Florida air and it's awful.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

It's called Florida air and it's awful.

Start bottling Florida air for use at Magic Tournaments. "Pop the top from across your opponent and watch all the foils in their deck instantly become marked cards. Game and match, sir."

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

kizudarake posted:

Not the hero we want but the one we deserve.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Pyronic posted:

"Investing" makes more sense in a usability term, meaning you are spending money with the intention of getting something back out of it like "investing in good running shoes" or "investing in new brakes/turbo/tires".

From the collecting aspect the only time you should talk about "investing" in older cards is with the intention of later selling them at (ideally) higher prices than you bought them for. Which I feel is also fine but I feel more applies to rarities like signed promos, miscuts, alters by popular artists, etc. That's investing in a collection.

tfw u buy a new pair of running shoes but new balance get banned due to killing too quickly too reliably

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Deckit posted:

Start bottling Florida air for use at Magic Tournaments. "Pop the top from across your opponent and watch all the foils in their deck instantly become marked cards. Game and match, sir."

Yea Florida would find a way to be the first guys to actually do 'bottled air' and also be terrible

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Emerson Cod posted:

if you push it any lower you actually start to significantly devalue the cards.

gently caress you I wanna play the goddamn card game.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Emerson Cod would you agree that Modern Masters cards are not real magic cards because they are not from a real set?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm starting to consider selling everything but two modern decks and the shell of a legacy deck. I feel like the bubble's bursting soon, the game's looking worse and worse and I'd like to get at least something back while I still can.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
lol do you even know what a bubble looks like before it bursts?

hint it doesn't look like an uptick in demand in one part of the market with downward trends in another part of the market.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm starting to consider selling everything but two modern decks and the shell of a legacy deck. I feel like the bubble's bursting soon, the game's looking worse and worse and I'd like to get at least something back while I still can.

Yeah I'm definitely doing this. I'm keeping like RUG Delver, Death and Taxes, Blue Tron, and maybe some other modern deck and every now and then maybe I'll go play. This game just sucks lately, and this kind of crap from WotC isn't helping.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Death Bot posted:

tfw u buy a new pair of running shoes but new balance get banned due to killing too quickly too reliably

I know you're making a joke but various new technologies have been banned in the professional cycling world for various reasons like efficiency or possible safety risks.

Also, i've put a few hundred miles on my New Balances this last year id be v sad without them plz no.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea Florida would find a way to be the first guys to actually do 'bottled air' and also be terrible

http://vitalityair.com/ :rolleyes:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Oh man, a 10% off coupon!

What a sound

Investment

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Pyronic posted:

I know you're making a joke but various new technologies have been banned in the professional cycling world for various reasons like efficiency or possible safety risks.

Also, i've put a few hundred miles on my New Balances this last year id be v sad without them plz no.

right but no one's gonna kick you out of the gym for wearing them in this horribly strained metaphor

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

I work in a sporting goods store that sells canned air and all the dumb tourists visiting Denver think they might need a can when they go skiing.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I was discussing the recent price jumps on certain cards with a guy at my LGS and we talked about what would happen if someone bought like every copy of Black Lotus (or some other card with a less finite number of copies in existence) and then destroyed them all except one. What would that do to the value of the last Black Lotus? It reminded me of the Yu-gi-Oh cartoon in which Kaiba, who is sort of a villain but mostly just a dickhead tries to obtain every single copy of Blue Eyes White Dragon and then destroys all of them except for the ones in his deck.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Lets Pickle posted:

I was discussing the recent price jumps on certain cards with a guy at my LGS and we talked about what would happen if someone bought like every copy of Black Lotus (or some other card with a less finite number of copies in existence) and then destroyed them all except one. What would that do to the value of the last Black Lotus? It reminded me of the Yu-gi-Oh cartoon in which Kaiba, who is sort of a villain but mostly just a dickhead tries to obtain every single copy of Blue Eyes White Dragon and then destroys all of them except for the ones in his deck.

It would have to be something ubiquitous, but also a win-con to have the most impact. Like every copy of Snapcaster or Goyf.

Imagine a world in which you're the only person who has the ability to Snapcaster.

EDIT: Dark Confidant already sounds like a Yu-Gi-Oh card.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
Oh, hey.

quote:

Whatever you choose, you're sure to have an immense amount of fun playing with all of these high-powered Vintage cards. If you're worried about being able to get your hands on the cards (they are fairly hard to come by), talk to your local store owner or TO about hosting a proxy tournament! They're not able to be sanctioned, but they're a great way to enjoy Vintage fun and get a chance to experience this unique, incredibly rich format!
ugggggggggh

I mean, people were finding articles about proxy stuff going back to 2004, but this is from November of 2013. God drat.

e: Wait, the long dash in the URL doesn't like this website. I'll just replace it with a screenshot someone grabbed; sorry 'bout that.

Minority Deport fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 13, 2016

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Minority Deport posted:

Oh, hey.
ugggggggggh

I mean, people were finding articles about proxy stuff going back to 2004, but this is from November of 2013. God drat.

Temporarily Unavailable
The website that you're trying to reach is having technical difficulties and is currently unavailable.

We are aware of the issue and are working hard to fix it. Thank you for your patience.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Maro and some of the other designers have talked about how the initial use of 1/1s and 2/2s led to granularity problems. How do you make a creature that would kill a human, but get killed by a bear? You'd need to either use 1.5/1.5 or have some kind of combat mechanic to make it happen.

A few pages back, but ....

Some games came up against that problem and just said "gently caress it".

(Brainiac wasn't from anything like an Un-set, he was completely tournament legal. No one ever really played him because he sucked and seriously, wtf math)

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

It's really surprising that people are shocked that a game that is heavily collectible would have people who value the "collectible" aspect. WotC counts on the collectability just as much as the game design aspects-if not they could just run a model similar to FFG and their LCGs. Magic's a game, but the cards are also collectible-no different from beanie babies, comic books, basketball cards, faberge eggs, paintings, or anything else. It sucks because it forces them to sometimes make decisions that negatively impact the game aspect to reinforce the collectibility aspect. And it's the combination of the two which have kept the game strong and growing.

And as for dudes who are talking about selling their stuff and getting out of the game because it sucks now or whatever, I would seriously reconsider at least the "sell everything but X" part. I've gotten out of the game twice before because I thought it sucked or was dying or whatever, and ended up regretting my decision each time as the game's just gotten way more popular. That's obviously not guaranteed to keep happening of course, but unless you really need the cash/space it's seriously worth it holding on to what you have and just taking a break, or you'll come back and find out the duals you sold for $30 are now $200 and the blood moon's that were a couple bucks are sitting at $40 (for example).

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
WotC, a few weeks ago: We expect DCI-registered players to report misuse of our intellectual property or face suspensions.

WotC, this week: Using sharpied cards to represent other cards is a misuse of our intellectual property.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
Reddit went ahead and found SCG videos on their Premium thing that extensively use proxies, such as:

Given that they're theoretically using these to make money (as they're in Premium), what does that mean under this policy?

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Minority Deport posted:

Reddit went ahead and found SCG videos on their Premium thing that extensively use proxies, such as:

Given that they're theoretically using these to make money (as they're in Premium), what does that mean under this policy?

Nothing, because Star City Games and Channel Fireball are basically part of the Wizards of the Coast marketing department?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

alansmithee posted:

It's really surprising that people are shocked that a game that is heavily collectible would have people who value the "collectible" aspect. WotC counts on the collectability just as much as the game design aspects-if not they could just run a model similar to FFG and their LCGs. Magic's a game, but the cards are also collectible-no different from beanie babies, comic books, basketball cards, faberge eggs, paintings, or anything else. It sucks because it forces them to sometimes make decisions that negatively impact the game aspect to reinforce the collectibility aspect. And it's the combination of the two which have kept the game strong and growing.

You do understand that something does not have to be insanely expensive in order to be collectible, right?

My dad collects coins, by which I mean he gets huge boxes of rolls of coins from the bank and goes through them to see if he finds any pennies or nickels or w/e that he doesn't have yet, or just that he thinks are cool, then he takes the rest back to the bank. He enjoys it.

Obviously ridiculously rare and thus expensive coins are also a thing that exist but my point is that expense isn't inscribed in the definition of collecting as a hobby. Ostentatious displays of wealth are a separate "hobby" that only by coincidence intersects with the hobby of collecting sets of similar items. I guess "ostentatious displays of wealth card game" is a little bit of a mouthful though.

Also, even granted that I'm being pedantic above, it's hard to see how the existence of reprints would threaten the integrity of collectors. If I have a complete set of Alpha except for Black Lotus, and I acquire a Black Lotus from the hypothetical paper Vintage Masters 2019 set, then it seems to me that I still haven't collected a complete set of Alpha, and anybody who has can rest secure in the knowledge that their achievement points are untainted. On the other hand, I can now add three mana of any one color to my mana pool without foregoing a college education, so it still works out pretty well for me.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Helene Bergorot, who should have been the person making a statement in the first place now that i think about it, made a tweet

https://twitter.com/HeleneBergeot/status/687072898545102848

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
so i guess cards with sharpies is alright if the set isn't released yet or if you're not at a store that makes money

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I can assure you that smugly bringing up Collector's Edition cards doesn't contribute anything to the argument. Bringing up that there's a two year old article on the official Magic site suggesting you ask your LGS to run proxy tournaments, however, is a big deal.

A user on Reddit had this to say:

quote:

Your problem lies in that you are asking too many questions. I'm being serious. Hear me out.

Essentially, they're saying that - though their official policy is strict on proxies and counterfeits - they REALLY don't care about them actually being used given that they're not Chinese Counterfeits. Like they really don't care, at all.

The original post was made to ONE gaming store that was a private communication. By blowing it up, they now have to reiterate their official policy and refuse you the plausible deniability that we are so often given. Now, instead of ignoring it/giving a "warning" when some douchebag who gets DQ'd reports a store for allowing proxies, they have to follow-through on their promise because we made this private email (which acts as a first warning to that specific LGS), very public (now a first warning to every LGS).

Essentially, when you ask about a policy, they are going to quote you the official policy (the one that protects them legally). NOT the plausible deniability that they give us between the lines.

By blowing this up, we're FORCING them to enforce certain policies that they don't really care to enforce because not doing so would hurt their ability to enforce it when it really matters (in the courts vs. Chinese counterfeiters for example).

tl;dr: In public, when you ask them, they have to quote official policy, but they're winking at you when doing so. If you don't get it, What Trick is saying is the official policy. What Helene is saying is the "Wink" (she's winking really hard). STOP ASKING FOR FURTHER CLARIFICATION.

Some of that makes sense. Anyone from Wizards with the ability to comment on this at all is a robot who has to repeat the company line and nothing but that. I don't think there's a "wink" involved here at all though. Since no one's been suspended over this, had their WPN privileges taken away, or been explicitly threatened with either of those penalties, it's hard to say whether this Reddit person is right or if this "first warning" marks the start of Wizards actually enforcing their policy.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sigma-X posted:

I am frequently on WotC's side for "they are a business and need to make money" reasons but I don't see how this helps them in any loving way.

The only way i can see this being useful to them is if there were significant outcries for killing proxy tournaments somewhere, but I've never heard a loving peep and I live in SoCal where we have a million real legacy tournaments firing off every week (I'm going to our weekly which does like 20 people in an hour).

I think they're just really afraid of setting any kind of precedent for proxies being acceptable.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Minority Deport posted:

Doesn't the latest "Stuff to check out" post from DailyMTG or whatever it's called now feature one such match? As in "go check out this SCG VS match"?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Oath of the Gatewatch Release Notes

quote:

Wastes is legal only in formats that include Oath of the Gatewatch. Specifically, unless it’s reprinted in a future set, it will rotate out of Standard at the same time as the rest of the set.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Was this ever a question?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Given that it technically is a basic land, I think it's good for them to clarify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

whydirt posted:

Given that it technically is a basic land, I think it's good for them to clarify.

A basic land would imply you could have more than 4, this isn't the case with wastes right?

• Locked thread