Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/eboland11/status/981256904109363200

cool, great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Here's an attempt to compare the two parking lot behemoths on google maps. You'll just have to trust me that I matched the little scale in the bottom right on both images cause it's cropped out.

Also wtf is wrong with you Milwaukee, building your baseball stadium facing southeast??

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Pancakes posted:

Cross-post from C-SPAM:

When rooting for the Cardinals is the moral high ground.
counterpoint: the entire NL Central is morally abhorrent.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

I would literally root for the Cardinals in a Cards/Brewers nlcs without thinking twice

*Looks at 1982 WS and 2011 NLCS*

Good news, everyone!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

bawfuls posted:

Here's an attempt to compare the two parking lot behemoths on google maps. You'll just have to trust me that I matched the little scale in the bottom right on both images cause it's cropped out.

Also wtf is wrong with you Milwaukee, building your baseball stadium facing southeast??

this is a cool post but jesus christ

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

Tailgating before they built it

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

IcePhoenix posted:

Tailgating before they built it

And while building it, since the whole thing collapsed and killed 3 construction workers in the process. :smith:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

And while building it, since the whole thing collapsed and killed 3 construction workers in the process. :smith:

Wasn't the roof stuck for the first year or two as well?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

this is a cool post but jesus christ
Dodger Stadium was built at the height of post-war boom Los Angeles, where car culture was pretty much at it's apex. It was "smartly" situated at the center of a bunch of freeway interchanges. Also remember it holds 56,000 people so they needed room for a fuckton of 1950's era land yachts.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 3, 2018

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

bawfuls posted:

Dodger Stadium was built at the height of post-war boom Los Angeles, where car culture was pretty much at it's apex. It was "smartly" situated at the center of a bunch of freeway interchanges. Also remember it holds 56,000 people so they need room for a fuckton of 1950's era land yachts.

e: yeah, fair point

it's also "smartly" situated on the ruins of a once-prosperous community of Mexican Americans

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 3, 2018

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

it stopped snowing before 1pm yesterday and nothing was played who the gently caress decides these things

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Vertical Lime posted:

it stopped snowing before 1pm yesterday and nothing was played who the gently caress decides these things

I don't know but they're dumb as hell, especially since even then they knew it was supposed to rain today.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bawfuls posted:

KC on the same scale for those curious

Bow down to your parking lot overlords!

TheChirurgeon posted:

e: yeah, fair point

it's also "smartly" situated on the ruins of a once-prosperous community of Mexican Americans
How convenient for Walter O'Malley that the city of LA had forcibly removed the majority of those residents a decade earlier.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Ah, so the Bills aren't the only team to use Fingers in their parking lot.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/stadium/ballpark_NSEW_NL.shtml

Interestingly, ballpark orientation is suggested in the rules but not enforced. My boss and I had a discussion about this back in like 2014

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Don't drive too Wrigley.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Wouldn’t Philadelphia win the parking lot war? At least in its old configuration? They were super into making sure all sports were going down at the same place, but the distributed the venues across a huge lot instead of putting them next to each other like the Oakland Coliseum did.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

Don't drive too Wrigley.

"Look at me, I have a moderately functional mass transit system!"
-Chicago

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Cities that build deserts of parking lots all deserve the eventual burning down to the ground their futures hold.

Really though never drive to the skydome, take the GO Train if you're coming from hell.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If you can’t get a drivers license, you don’t deserve baseball anyway.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

If you can’t get a drivers license, you don’t deserve baseball anyway.

Pillar isn't as good as everyone says. Good baseball players don't need to make such huge leaps.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Just live in a tent city and walk to the ballpark.

(I've ridden my bike to Angels Stadium plenty of times but even with security I don't feel great about leaving my cheap beater bike locked to the gate)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Am I the only one that wouldn't mind a whole thread of the stadium aerial shots at the same scale for comparison?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It actually owns that rich OC assholes have to look at tent cities on their little bike club rides or whatever.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

No Safe Word posted:

Am I the only one that wouldn't mind a whole thread of the stadium aerial shots at the same scale for comparison?

I would love this. I am hoping more people post their cities!

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

Nate Silver going back to his roots:
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/981152045175590913

He's also totally correct.

Back a couple pages, but this idea is great.

However, nobody has come close to the 1906 NY Giants celebrating some odd year bullshit the year before.

https://i.imgur.com/qdu3EkA.jpg

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Good Dog posted:

Just live in a tent city and walk to the ballpark.

:stare: I guess I understand the “Ana-crime” thing now.

Zigmidge posted:

Pillar isn't as good as everyone says. Good baseball players don't need to make such huge leaps.

I was kind of wondering if anyone would take the bait if I didn’t put a :colbert: at the end. I actually don’t have a drivers license.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I rate stadiums based on how frustrating or stressful they are to drive to and park at, because traffic is quite literally my least favorite thing in the entire world.

This is why Kauffman is the best. I have more difficulty driving to work than driving and parking at the K.

Get in the car, then Clark W. Griswold it for a bit..."Welp, we're here!".

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I used to live a 5 minute walk from Wrigley Field and it made going to games on a weekday after work on a whim very easy. Being able to get home after a game in under 10 minutes is magical.

Also being able to open my window in the summer and hear the roar of the crowd just before seeing a home run on the TV.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I live near AAA SWB and I have a feeling it's actually more difficult to get to and from our games than some of these major league parks, especially if there is a concert on the mountain. When Derek Jeter was here was especially bad because not only was there a concert, but it was Derek Jeter.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

bawfuls posted:

It actually owns that rich OC assholes have to look at tent cities on their little bike club rides or whatever.

You'll be glad to know that the tent cities in the Anaheim area have been cleared out and the majority of the 1000+ homeless people have been placed in housing/motels. And that Anaheim isn't even a rich area.

And that I'm a poor rear end in a top hat that rides their bike and runs on the Santa Ana River Trail and I can't wait for it to reopen.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Tony Phillips posted:

Back a couple pages, but this idea is great.

However, nobody has come close to the 1906 NY Giants celebrating some odd year bullshit the year before.

https://i.imgur.com/qdu3EkA.jpg

As did the Indians in 1921.

And the Cardinals in 1927.

We need more.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I ride my bicycle to Petco on the regular and its great.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Tom Gorman posted:

I rate stadiums based on how frustrating or stressful they are to drive to and park at, because traffic is quite literally my least favorite thing in the entire world.

This is why Kauffman is the best. I have more difficulty driving to work than driving and parking at the K.

Get in the car, then Clark W. Griswold it for a bit..."Welp, we're here!".

My dad and I visited Kauffman on an off day and the endless expanse of parking was honestly overwhelming. I'm pretty sure there is more parking there than anywhere else in the world.

Also the security dude just let us wander around the stadium unsupervised, which was fantastic.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Zigmidge posted:

I would love this. I am hoping more people post their cities!

LOL if your ballpark is only surrounded by parking lots.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I either walk or bike to the Skydome and lol if you get stuck on the gardiner to watch Kendrys Morales.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
AT&T is cool because you can tailgate inside of a giant empty warehouse.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ammat The Ankh posted:

LOL if your ballpark is only surrounded by parking lots.

San Francisco so pretentious it's parking lots are for yachts.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

RC and Moon Pie posted:

As did the Indians in 1921.

And the Cardinals in 1927.

We need more.

Had no idea other teams had done it. Very cool. It's like bat flipping via uniform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Akeel Morris to Anaheim, cash and PTBNL to Altanta. One of those dudes I was always assuming was going to be serviceable but the Braves never agreed?

• Locked thread