Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Bizzaro Quik posted:

So yeah, I just went 4x4ing for the first time up in Rausch Creek, PA.

Holy crap. Amazing. My back hurts so much. What a weekend.

I'm def. hooked. I was invited by a local Jeep customization company to come up and document the day. Hauling a camera + getting knocked around in a jeep = a hell of a long day.

I had a great time though. I can't wait to go back. Any tips from you guys in how to ride shotgun and not feel like you want to die!? Haha.

If anybody wants to see the video I did, here's the link. I'm kinda proud of it :) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL46hRsS_9c

Great video dude!! What did you guys shoot it with? I have made a few videos, nothing close to as good as yours but I just started: http://www.youtube.com/Sublimejoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizzaro Quik
Dec 1, 2004
Japan rules, right?
Dude you have some amazing shots. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqbgEQJDa5A is a good video. Do you have a snorkel on any of those rides? That's pretty drat cool.

Oddly enough i also shot with a dslr. The t2i with a nikkor 1.4 50mm.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Bizzaro Quik posted:

Dude you have some amazing shots. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqbgEQJDa5A is a good video. Do you have a snorkel on any of those rides? That's pretty drat cool.

Oddly enough i also shot with a dslr. The t2i with a nikkor 1.4 50mm.

Thanks!! Nah, none of them have snorkels even though we probably should. I actually shoot with a dslr too! 5d Mark 2 with a 50mm f/1.4 although I shot some of that video with my 70-200 f/2.8L IS. I am a photographer by trade but figured since my camera shoots video why not give it a try right!

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

Ozmiander posted:

?Even if the bead reseats, it'll still be flat.

The whole point is to only reseat the bead. Once the bead is seated, you use your air source to inflate the tire properly. Reseating with ether is typically done with the valve stem cores pulled, precisely so that the excess pressure from the explosion can vent once the bead is seated. If you don't have an air source, reseating the bead alone doesn't do you much good.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
So a good friend of mine is racing in the Baja 1000 today.

He traded in his H1 class 8 truck for a hybrid.... :v:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcpLIky0zGg

It was only made public this week, many people were scratching their heads at the new "M" class for this race.

If I wasn't slammed at work I'd be able to go down for this years race. :sigh:

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
I've wondered for a long time why more electric generator vehicles aren't made, and the Volt doesn't count. Makes perfect sense to just run the gas/diesel engine at most efficient RPM and let the electric motor do the work, just like a locomotive or marine diesel electric drive. Forget about batteries, too much complexity, weight, and pollution material.

But god drat is that thing top heavy. Hopefully the production LCV has some seriously beefy sway bars.

PS nice video, but at 1:05 we can see that every truck on the trail really should have coil straps or limit straps.

incredibull fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 18, 2010

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
The LCV uses an active suspension system, it'll actually lean the truck according to speed and terrain conditions, the whole thing is drive by wire. I'm waiting for Oshkosh to publically release more details on it.

The driver was a bit freaked out by it at first, his Hummer is all mechanical, he converted the electrical system on his h1 to all mechanical similar to the military. But the feedback is different in this, it feels like a video game.

This thing moves fast for the size, it makes sense why they picked up drivers who raced H1's in baja for it [large full IS vehicles].

I originally thought the big secret truck, with my friends involvement was a H1 with the Oshkosh HMMWV upgrade kit on it. Tak4 suspension, 52" tires and a 6 cylinder cat turbo diesel.

Watching the race tracking now the first TT's should be crossing the finish line at dawn.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Nov 19, 2010

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Got this about a week ago, 86 CUCV Blazer

Now I just have to deal with an endless list of poo poo that a 24yr old vehicle brings with it and then I get to go wheel. I'm hoping to get it sorted out, holes patched, new springs(the fronts are a little frowny)/shocks, put in a manual glowplug controller, clean up the gauges/dash, and unfuck the fluttering speedo/fuel gauge by March. In the process I'm sure I'll find many other things wrong and it'll probably end up being a monument to my stupidity, a giant green monument to my stupidity.

On the bright side it's already locked, regeared to 3.73 and runs/shifts well.

Any way to learn how to weld without going to night school to do it?

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
gently caress, CUCVs are awesome. Turbo that biatch!

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Geared Hub posted:

So a good friend of mine is racing in the Baja 1000 today.

He traded in his H1 class 8 truck for a hybrid.... :v:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcpLIky0zGg

It was only made public this week, many people were scratching their heads at the new "M" class for this race.

If I wasn't slammed at work I'd be able to go down for this years race. :sigh:

Looks like its a M-ATV minus the armor.

http://www.oshkoshdefense.com/defense/products~matv~home.cfm

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?
Another club RTV (Road Taxed Vehicles Trial) at the weekend, up past Huntly. Usual mix of Land Rovers and Suzukis... One of the earlier courses had a bog at the bottom of it, rest were on fairly firm ground.

Rather tricked out Defender - lockers, and fiddle brakes.

Suzuki SJ-based trialer

Brians Defender recently converted to a truck cab + tubular front wings

Mike having a brown-trouser moment in his SJ - cracked the transfer box case and retired not long after.

John and his Jimny...

And me in my Discovery - was doing rather well, until I forgot to re-engage difflock on the last course...

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
The SJ with full diamondplate is awesome but looks like a golf cart.

Too bad we can't buy Jimnys in the US. I think they would sell really well now. Like a lot of things automotive, the rest of the world gets to have it and we don't.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Hey all!

Been a while since I posted up any pics of the poor old Toyota.

Since then the stock rear leaf pack on the passenger side got destroyed, and I've swapped it to Ford F150 57" springs flipped around with short side back and frenched the spring hangers into the frame. Also traded my old '89 toyota single cab for an almost new set of 35"x12.5" BFG mud terrain KM2's to replace the 34"x9.5" super swamper LTB's

Here's some pics of one of the new spots I've been cutting out, attempting to show some scale.

I've got three climbs cut out along this ridge, one I can't make it up without a front locker, this one is fine with just a rear locker, and the next could probably climbed with open/open diffs as it is smaller :)

Will post some more after lunch. Happy offroading :)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

incredibull posted:

gently caress, CUCVs are awesome. Turbo that biatch!

Just make sure you put a good intercooler on it, 6.2ls are prone to cracking heads if overheated

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

CommieGIR posted:

Just make sure you put a good intercooler on it, 6.2ls are prone to cracking heads if overheated

Diesel charge cooling isn't a bandaid for adding power beyond what the cooling system was meanst to handle. Plenty of turbodiesels weren't intercooled and ran cool, its a power issue not a overheating issue. If it overheats making more than stock power, you need more than stock radiator.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Baby Hitler posted:

Diesel charge cooling isn't a bandaid for adding power beyond what the cooling system was meanst to handle. Plenty of turbodiesels weren't intercooled and ran cool, its a power issue not a overheating issue. If it overheats making more than stock power, you need more than stock radiator.

With the 6.2 it WAS just overheating, and it wasn't due to lack of cooling.

There was a design flaw that GM publicly acknowledged with the 6.2, the cooling valley has a flaw where insufficient coolant would reach the rear cylinders, causing warping and eventually cracking the head.

A company in Nashville called Dieselheads helped with the redesign, and the military in the end replaced most the 6.2s with the 6.5 because it did not suffer from the issue

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 26, 2010

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

CommieGIR posted:

With the 6.2 it WAS just overheating, and it wasn't due to lack of cooling.

There was a design flaw that GM publicly acknowledged with the 6.2, the cooling valley has a flaw where insufficient coolant would reach the rear cylinders, causing warping and eventually cracking the head

That would be a head coolant flow problem, not a temperature of charge air problem. There's heat involved, but not heat that has much at all to do with each other. :)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Baby Hitler posted:

That would be a head coolant flow problem, not a temperature of charge air problem. There's heat involved, but not heat that has much at all to do with each other. :)

Yes but it was the express reason that they didn't turbocharge the 6.2 in the end

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

More fun on the rocks...

Getting pretty bored just wheeling alone so I've been cutting bunches of trails. Hoping to get some folks out in the spring/summer with enough trails to run for a weekend

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
My Explorer had an intermittent rod knock at cold start for a while now. This morning it would not go away, even after warming up and mulitple restarts. Time to either pull the engine and do a basic rebuild or sell it off. I just have no place to do engine work besides my basement. A sad day for me, but it could have many years to go.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

apatite posted:

More fun on the rocks...

Getting pretty bored just wheeling alone so I've been cutting bunches of trails. Hoping to get some folks out in the spring/summer with enough trails to run for a weekend

Too bad you dont live by me, Im always down.

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Mr booby head vagina man.
Holy crap I love winter.

All year I have to drive about in RWD, slower than everyone else, with the rain dripping down the inside of my windshield.

Then it snows and I can finally stick it in 4WD Hi, tear around faster than everyone else, with the melting snow dripping down the inside of my windshield.

:downs:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

apatite posted:

More fun on the rocks...

Where are you at?

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Rogz posted:

Holy crap I love winter.

I completely agree, I took the 90 out today for a bit of a play as we've had a little bit of snowfall.

Also did my first snow recovery of the year, a lady in a polo.

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?
Winter, hell yes! Went for a drive up Deeside today - 18 inches of snow in Ballater. Went up the A939 to Bridge of Gairn, was interesting to say the least.

Burn o' Vat car park

Ballater - Gairnshiel Road (A939)

Ballater - Gairnshiel Road (A939)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Rogz posted:

Holy crap I love winter.
Yes!

Prince Albert National Park 101128 by Execudork, on Flickr

I hope you guys don't mind (too much) me posting in here with my 2wd "compact sports coupe", I find driving on pavement hideously boring. For my car, a good set of ruts in a dirt road counts as "off road", at least in my opinion. I haven't gotten stuck yet this winter, obviously I'm not trying hard enough.

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Mr booby head vagina man.

I let my buddy do some awful 4wheel drifting doughnut things in some remote carpark and managed to convince him to chip in on a trialer. So might actually get some proper offroading done next year. :D

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

CommieGIR posted:

Where are you at?

I'm in Upstate NY.

10-4 on the winter wheeling, we've got about 3-4" of snow where my trails are (lame I know... no snow everywhere else) and I was up there both days this weekend. Need to get some trees cut out of some of the climbs, as I couldn't make it up a few of them due to lack of lateral traction. kept sliding sideways on off-camber hills. maybe the BFG KM2's need to be grooved?

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

apatite posted:

I'm in Upstate NY.

10-4 on the winter wheeling, we've got about 3-4" of snow where my trails are (lame I know... no snow everywhere else) and I was up there both days this weekend. Need to get some trees cut out of some of the climbs, as I couldn't make it up a few of them due to lack of lateral traction. kept sliding sideways on off-camber hills. maybe the BFG KM2's need to be grooved?

Must be nice! How much land do you own?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Finished up my lift yesterday so I took the Jeep out today to see how it handled:

Being a goon:

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
Well I posted earlier about running 2 different tire sizes on a 4x4 and am having some binding problems (to be expected) even on snow at low speeds so Im wondering if I air down the larger tires a bit could that help with binding in 4x4? I am planning on grabbing a matched size for the front tires but for now Im stuck with rear tires that are around 1-1.25in taller than the fronts.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO

apatite posted:

I'm in Upstate NY.

Whereabouts, if you don't mind me asking? I'm around Oneonta myself.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Braincloud posted:

Must be nice! How much land do you own?

This is about a 160acre parcel that I'm currently buying approximately half of on a land contract, but have access to all of it because it is unused and owned by "family" or close enough :)

TheFrailNinja posted:

Whereabouts, if you don't mind me asking? I'm around Oneonta myself.

I'm way up north near canada, eh. Potsdam-ish

Nice XJ, Bojanglesworth! My brother caught that Jeep thing too and has a bunch of CJs, YJs, XJs, and an old military jeep

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

apatite posted:

This is about a 160acre parcel that I'm currently buying approximately half of on a land contract, but have access to all of it because it is unused and owned by "family" or close enough :)

Nice XJ, Bojanglesworth! My brother caught that Jeep thing too and has a bunch of CJs, YJs, XJs, and an old military jeep

Heh, Malone native here. I fear ever driving my Wagoneer that far though.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

apatite posted:

Thanks!! It is definitely an addicting hobby.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ExtremeODD posted:

Well I posted earlier about running 2 different tire sizes on a 4x4 and am having some binding problems (to be expected) even on snow at low speeds so Im wondering if I air down the larger tires a bit could that help with binding in 4x4? I am planning on grabbing a matched size for the front tires but for now Im stuck with rear tires that are around 1-1.25in taller than the fronts.

Air down the rears so that the axle centerline is even with the front axle centerline. This might end up being around 15psi or so in the rear, so don't go on any 2 hour drives at high speed on the highway. Just a temporary solution while driving around town in 4wd until you get a matching set of good tires.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
Well today I got some (non matching) 265-75/15s for the front and my 4x4 works like a dream now. Before if I was moving in the slightest it wouldnt engage (binding) and idling along I could feel the binding and with the front hubs locked in but in 2x4 I had a slight vibration down the free way. Now I can slip it in and out of 4x4 very easily at any speed below 55mph and in a straight line on clean asphalt there is no binding in 4x4. Took a tape out side and the tires are almost the exact same size all around. Now it just needs to snow, it all keeps going east of here to MN. Also found out part of my stopping issues, the right rotor has some serious grooving going on and almost no pad. Thats a project for spring however since it already can lock em up in the snow (impossible to lock em up on dry ground sadly).

ExtremeODD fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 1, 2010

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

ExtremeODD posted:

You should still get that looked at, the uneven brake force will only make you spin more.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
Well overall when braking on snow and ice I slide pretty straight. My issue is I have to stand on the brakes to do anything at all. Sometimes lightly pressing the pedal locks the rears up, my brakes are all jacked up but do eventually stop me.

Once I get some more funds saved up Im going to tackle all 4 corners at once, this thing has had a bit of parked in a field time so stuffs a bit shot. Found a slip saying oil + filters done at 177k in 97, the truck is now only at 235k 13 years later. Tires had been on so long it took 5 mins of beating with a bfh to break em loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
What truck are you driving, ExtremeODD?