Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

WhiteHowler posted:

We tried it about a year ago, and everything felt really clunky. Also, I don't know if our friends both have PCs capable of running games.
TTS is not very demanding system-wise, but yes, it takes a whole lot of practice for it to stop feeling clunky. I watch some TTS Gloomhaven streams, and am consistently impressed at how easy they make it look.

But yes, I am stunned at how good this looks on-stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I wonder if there's an option to return to the city between scenarios. On the stream they just went straight to the next one and didn't mention the option to return for purchasing/donating/whatever.

They also haven't mentioned linked locations, but my group has literally never used them, since we like doing the road and city events, even when they're "bad".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Linked scenarios would make more sense if a significant amount of content wasn't locked behind events.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Linked scenarios would make more sense if a significant amount of content wasn't locked behind events.
Yeah we have literally never done a linked scenario.

Going back to Gloomhaven is just too necessary, and the events are too important.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
- Local play only at Early Access launch. Online multiplayer "soon" after release (not sure if they mean EA release, or retail release).

- Battle Goals, Perks, Enhancements, and stuff will be added during Early Access.

- Random dungeon generator that will be much more powerful than the one in the physical game.

- Early Access will consist of Adventure Mode, which is 30-40 challenges with set party compositions and requirements. Completing these unlocks new party configurations and new scenarios. This is all completely separate from the Campaign Mode (including unlocks).

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 6, 2019

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Oh, okay. The thing they're showing now is Adventure Mode. It sounds like Campaign Mode will be the actual campaign from the tabletop version.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah I came in expecting to be completely bummed out in the first 20 minutes, and now I'm ... I'm ...

... is this hype I am feeling?

I think it is hype!

Really, if you're online now, check this out, goons.

e: Also modding?! Wow. This is still a work in progress, but wow.

Yeah it looks really good, I'm super looking forward to it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Welp. Buying the gently caress out of this.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
- Adventure Mode is "roguelike". I asked the designer for more details; their response: "This is a random dungeon mode played while travelling across a map. levelling up, completing achievements and unlocking new parties". This is what they're showing on stream today.

- Shared gold pool is for Adventure Mode only. They're considering adding an option to turn it off.

- Campaign Mode available at retail release. Hosts confirmed it is the full tabletop campaign, though there may have to be small tweaks to make it work better digitally.

- Biggest rules change so far is monster behavior in ambiguous situations -- behavior (mostly movement) is decided randomly -- so you can't just always make that dumb Living Corpse move next to your stun trap.

- They're hoping to have multi-player ready BEFORE the end of Early Access. Good news!

- Modding will consist of YML editing. It should be powerful, but you won't be able to add your own assets, at least for now.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 6, 2019

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Holy crap, Early Access on July 17.

That's soon!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
JULY 17th

e: dammmmnnnnn yyyooooouuuuuuuu

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Have they confirmed what platforms it will be on?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

thespaceinvader posted:

Have they confirmed what platforms it will be on?

Asmodee Digital uses Steam.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Zurai posted:

Asmodee Digital uses Steam.

I thought it was meant to be a mobile app as well? :(

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

I thought it was meant to be a mobile app as well? :(

Oh, sorry, I'm a PC gamer so I didn't even register that as an option.

Yeah, looking it up it does appear that they also tend to release their games on mobile although it takes a lot longer in general.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
They said "just PC for now" (and they already have a product page on Steam, so it won't be a weird Epic Game Store exclusive or anything).

Edit: Bone Ranger is a new enemy type. Undead archers!

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

(and they already have a product page on Steam, so it won't be a weird Epic Game Store exclusive or anything).

That's been no guarantee in the past.

Looks like a great solo experience, but I do wonder how well it will work multiplayer. Probably better than TTS for most people, I guess!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Gloomhaven, being a turn-based board game, is probably exceedingly easy to make multiplayer. It could be play-by-email under the hood and it'd suffice. There are no real time elements at all.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Someone asked about that on stream. The response was that they've considered asynchronous game play (by email, or just unlimited wait between turns) but figured a single game would take months, so they're focusing on real-time multi-player for now. But they might revisit other modes later.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
I was watching the VOD of the digital game stream and about 53and a half ish minutes in one of the Bandit Guards moved when I wasn't expecting him to and I'm wondering if I was wrong.

The guards had Move 1 and Attack for some amount. The one circled in black moved first, and moved up one space following the red arrow. I guess he was trying to get to one of the spaces adjacent to the brute up top and so he moved to the only available non trap square he could. However, I expected him to want to attack from the space marked 1 since it is 3 hexes away versus 4 for on of the others, in which case I was not expecting him to move at all since he could not get closer to that hex with his movement.

Abisteen fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 7, 2019

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

If there's a path to get to their focus that doesn't go through a trap, they will choose that path, even if it's longer or if they can't get there for several turns. Basically they treat the trap as an obstacle unless it's the only path available.

I think. I've been wrong about monster focus/movement stuff before :v:

E: Oh you mean why that instead of walking through the other two enemies right there? Yeah I've got no clue. Looks like a mistake to me. I missed that originally, sorry.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
There are still a few bugs in the AI. The Spellweaver's Summon, for example, didn't always behave accurately.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Been going through the rules and learning things, I had a couple questions:

- How available are the contents of the scenario book to everyone? Is it free game, everyone can see what the layout/monsters of the scenario are, or is only one person supposed to know? In the future when you're picking a scenario to go on, are you allowed to "look ahead" and see that quest entails?

- The rules state, I think(?), that you can change characters whenever you are in Gloomhaven. I thought you could only swap when your current character retires. If I didn't read that wrong and YOU can switch freely like that, does each person keep track of their stable of characters or are they "gone" when you switch? If someone goes from Spellweaver to Brute then wants to go back, would they start a new Spellweaver or pick up their old charter?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

- How available are the contents of the scenario book to everyone? Is it free game, everyone can see what the layout/monsters of the scenario are, or is only one person supposed to know? In the future when you're picking a scenario to go on, are you allowed to "look ahead" and see that quest entails?

- The rules state, I think(?), that you can change characters whenever you are in Gloomhaven. I thought you could only swap when your current character retires. If I didn't read that wrong and YOU can switch freely like that, does each person keep track of their stable of characters or are they "gone" when you switch? If someone goes from Spellweaver to Brute then wants to go back, would they start a new Spellweaver or pick up their old charter?

You're only allowed to look at scenarios you have unlocked and you're only allowed to look at the monster types and traps and obstacles. Maybe the scenario goal too. Oh yeah and obviously any prerequisites for starting the scenario. Apparently it's very difficult for some people to simply not look at the map or put their hand over the layout so you can use a campaign/scenario tracker app that only shows 1 room setup at a time.

You can't change characters until you retire. However there's nothing stopping you from establishing a house where if someone REALLY hates their class after 3 or 4 scenarios they can scrap it and roll a brand new one with a new retirement goal.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 7, 2019

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

1: up to you; most people I know of only set up what is visible in the entry room, but get out all the pieces listed in the scenario.

2: you can change whenever you're in Gloomhaven, but in practice basically everyone I know who plays in a group plays a single character to retirement then starts another. But if you want, you can chop and change. That's why you have character sheets.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

1. As stated above. The wording in the rulebook is relatively clear, though:
Pg 12: "When setting up a new scenario, the first step is to look in the scenario book to set up the map tiles and prepare all the monster types you will be fighting." So you know what monsters are in the scenario and can see their stats, and you have the map tiles set up so you know the general length of the dungeon area. (Map tiles and doors are set up at start.)
Pg 19: When you reveal a new room, the scenario book "will then specify what monsters, money tokens, and special overlay tiles should be placed in the revealed room, based on the number of characters." That implies that none of those things get set up on the map until a door is opened (except for the starting room, obviously).

2. Each character will have its own sheet (with name, items owned, perks, etc), a personal quest card (until you run out, anyway), and item cards. When you get back to town, you can keep playing your current character or create a new one. New characters start out with the default stuff based on your current Prosperity level. Unless you choose to sell off the items owned by your previous character (at a loss, basically), they are not available for purchase for any other characters in the campaign. The new character will have its own personal quest, must purchase its own items, choose its own perks, etc. In theory, if you don't like a character you can sell off its stuff and start a new one.

It'd be a house rule to recycle personal quests, but if your group cycles through lots of characters you may want to do that. There's really little reason to cycle through characters, though, and I've rarely seen it happen beyond someone trying a new class and hating how it plays.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I think you kinda gotta accept that you're gonna see the scenario page when setting up, assuming you aren't playing the expansion. Having one person sorta see it and play coy is way worse than accepting that it's information you have. You don't place stuff before you open the door but that doesn't mean you aren't allowed to see.

Using the app to hide it sounds like a 100% valid house rule but it's still a house rule.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I try to not pay attention to what monsters are where or whatever, but sorry, you're insane if you actually do all the terrain for every room as you go. Much better to just get all the spike pits and poo poo on the table and not have to worry about it. Yes, this means we know what room has a treasure chest but jesus christ this game takes long enough to set up, and that's after we put everything in little baggies in an alphabetized accordion folder.

If you sincerely care enough about the surprise to come up with a workaround, I salute you and wish you the best of luck and all happiness, but you're insane.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I mostly don't pay attention to the other rooms outside of the starting stuff, but if I see something I just compartmentalize it and set it aside. I've never had a situation where it impacts my decision making or makes it impossible for me to make a decision based on not knowing that information. I'm also our group's DM, so maybe that has something to do with being used to knowing more of the whole picture, but it's never posed a problem in GH.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There are a handful of scenarios in the main game where hiding future rooms can really gently caress you. Things like opening a door putting you on a very short timer to complete a tough task, or a scenario with a goal being to kill all enemies and reveal all room including a room that has a chest and no enemies don't feel like they are designed to be done blind.

The most recent community campaign and the new expac are designed to hide a lot more info from the players.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bear in mind if you fail a mission, or do one again in casual, there's basically no reason to hide room stuff unless your memory is really bad like me.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yea for the first run...

Set up full room tile layout. Get standees ready for all potential monsters. Get overlay tiles out. Set up the first room, and only the first room.

For the second+ run, still don't set up the monsters - you may run into standee limits - but totally set up the rest of the poo poo.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Yea for the first run...

Set up full room tile layout. Get standees ready for all potential monsters. Get overlay tiles out. Set up the first room, and only the first room.

For the second+ run, still don't set up the monsters - you may run into standee limits - but totally set up the rest of the poo poo.

Yes, this exactly for us. I don't set up overlay tiles ahead of time on the first attempt at a scenario because it can affect the decision making process. After the first time, we already know more or less what to expect terrain-wise. And setting up monsters ahead of time literally breaks the game in a lot of scenarios because many of them exceed the standee limit in a way that means if you set them all up ahead of time the final rooms will be much easier than intended.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

It's possible to set up everything ahead of time and then just... Adjust for standee problems? If you don't have enough for the last room, just put them there as you kill ones in earlier rooms. Or if there are spawned/summoned creatures, you could set everything else up and keep the spawning ones aside until you need them.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Zack Ater posted:

It's possible to set up everything ahead of time and then just... Adjust for standee problems? If you don't have enough for the last room, just put them there as you kill ones in earlier rooms. Or if there are spawned/summoned creatures, you could set everything else up and keep the spawning ones aside until you need them.

That's basically what we do. We have some special bases that track HP and status. It's really handy while playing but has a slightly longer setup time. So we just setup the entire scenario at once and adjust for insufficient standees as necessary

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Zack Ater posted:

It's your game; you could set up a bunch of maps and use the standees and figures to play a chess variant if you wanted to do that.

The rules are fairly clear about not setting up monsters in rooms until you open the door. But you can do whatever you want.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Narsham posted:

It's your game; you could set up a bunch of maps and use the standees and figures to play a chess variant if you wanted to do that.

The rules are fairly clear about not setting up monsters in rooms until you open the door. But you can do whatever you want.

I mean, yeah, I agree about setting everything up early making things easier. The specific complaint about it breaking the game due to standee limitations seems very odd to me, is all.

e:

Zurai posted:

If you're spending time to set them up twice then ... why the hell did you set them up early in the first place?

If moving one or two dead enemies to another room instead of the side of the table counts as "set them up twice" then idk what to tell you :shrug:

Telum fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 8, 2019

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Does anyone have a resource with the Rune/card translations? Not the cipher legend in the box, just the phrases already translated and grouped by source?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Zack Ater posted:

I mean, yeah, I agree about setting everything up early making things easier. The specific complaint about it breaking the game due to standee limitations seems very odd to me, is all.

If you're spending time to set them up twice then ... why the hell did you set them up early in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

I try to not pay attention to what monsters are where or whatever, but sorry, you're insane if you actually do all the terrain for every room as you go. Much better to just get all the spike pits and poo poo on the table and not have to worry about it. Yes, this means we know what room has a treasure chest but jesus christ this game takes long enough to set up, and that's after we put everything in little baggies in an alphabetized accordion folder.

If you sincerely care enough about the surprise to come up with a workaround, I salute you and wish you the best of luck and all happiness, but you're insane.

There typically like 4-6 hexes worth of obstacles plus traps in whatever random rooms, barring those rooms that are like entirely lava or water or whatever.

Being super generous I'd estimate 5 minutes of extra time per scenario setting it up as we go with 4 people working together, a far cry from "insane".