Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Biggest hurtle without a "tank" is managing incoming damage especially in the first round of combat, but like Doctor Spaceman said there are multiple other ways to accomplish that. The first scenario does a really good job of running through a lot of the usual setups you'll have to deal with without pulling any punches (groups of melee guys, ranged hitters behind melee guys and traps, cluttered rooms, etc) so if you survived that alright you'll be fine.

I think the best piece of advice I could offer is understanding the monster AI really well to understand how they are going to target people. So you should understand at the beginning of the round when the cards flip if e.g. the Spellweaver is about to take 4 attacks and if there is anything the rest of the team can do to split that up or mitigate in whatever other ways (healing, debuffs, high damage to finish one of them off, pushes, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
My standard opener with the Tinkerer was to deploy adjacent to as many allies as possible then do the ranged poison attack (at that initiative) and give all adjacent allies shield 1 until end of turn. It's good.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I've started doing solo scenarios so far did the cthulhu (my current primary), brute (previous character), three spears, and tried doing cragheart. I haven't played the three spears before but that scenario was absurdly easy. I didn't really read reinforced steel until getting to the chest then used it and after that just un-tapped eagle eye goggles every turn and murdered everyone. Brute was really hard I had to do it twice, the first time I took so much damage in the first room I gave up. The second time it came down to the wire where I was praying for the final bandit archers to pull -1 modifiers so I wouldn't have to lose a card then I killed the last enemy with my very last action. Now I tried the Cragheart scenario once and was completely confused because I did a lovely job choosing cards but that mission seems pretty hard as well. Cthulhu scenario was average think I was pretty lucky that I was level six already so stinging cloud did most of the legwork.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Cthulhu and Cragheart have two of the hardest solo scenarios I think.

I should do Music Note's today or tomorrow.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I forgot how much crazy stupid fun the Brute is. My second group just did scenario 25 tonight and while the first room didn't treat us very well we ended up winning pretty easily and getting the chest. The Brute is actually way more fun now that my personal quest is exhaust 12 times. Didn't bother with a stamina potion and blew through my loss cards faster than I normally do and got obliterated by oozes on my last turn :black101:. The blood god was pleased. My Dynamo checkmark was pretty free too because, well, Balanced Measure exists. Oh and I had enough gold to buy a Battle Axe. :black101: That with Balanced Measure and Boots of Striding are hilarious.

Our Mindthief is happy because we unlocked another scenario in the swamp which related to his personal quest and our Cragheart will be retiring next session to unlock Circles. I'm not sure if the Cragheart player will like it or not so we don't know what he will play. My guess is he will play Circles because it's something new and different. I'm trying to figure out how Circles, Mindthief, and Brute would work together and I think would probably do OK.

Oh and I forgot just how much XP the Brute can generate. I had 14 before the scenario completion bonus. I'm going to be leveling up pretty fast.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I started to read through some more stuff, and really potions refresh after each scenario? So after you but a potion, you don't ever have to buy it again? Because it really seems like they'd be a one use item that you'd have to buy again.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I started to read through some more stuff, and really potions refresh after each scenario? So after you but a potion, you don't ever have to buy it again? Because it really seems like they'd be a one use item that you'd have to buy again.

You don't have to buy them again. You can come up with some fluff explanation if you want but it's what the game is balanced around.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

The Alchemist offers free refills.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm definitely not complaining! I just wouldn't expect the game to be so generous.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Cthulhu and Cragheart have two of the hardest solo scenarios I think.

I should do Music Note's today or tomorrow.

Cragheart is supposed to be particularly awkward because it's a tower defence game, where sometimes one of the sorts of enemies can just jump the path and attack the tower directly, which means it turns heavily on the variance in the monster ability decks rather than the skill of the player.

You're not buying a magic potion you're buying a magic bottle, when you refill it with water the water turns into potion.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

I'm definitely not complaining! I just wouldn't expect the game to be so generous.

If you fill the Stamina Potions are too strong as is, there are several community made changes to it - and I believe one of them has been picked up and boxed in with the latest editions of the game?

Also, in case you were worried, the LP thread is now back online since my vacations are sadly over! We're midway through scenario 18 and this just happened:

EDIT: also the goonmind is temporarily controlling our Brute for a few rounds if you want to make it self destruct help pilot him!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 17, 2019

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

thespaceinvader posted:

Cragheart is supposed to be particularly awkward because it's a tower defence game, where sometimes one of the sorts of enemies can just jump the path and attack the tower directly, which means it turns heavily on the variance in the monster ability decks rather than the skill of the player.
I played the Cragheart solo scenario 7 times.

It's an RNG-fest.

RNG the First: setting up your tower defense to (legally) corral the oozes, so you can ignore them and pray their natural attrition will do them in. You will not be able to kill them yourself, and need to rely on them not healing themselves.
RNG the Second: hoping that the Sun Demons don't draw the right sequence of cards to heal up everything the oozes are doing to themselves, and that you are doing to the sun demons and bears.
RNG the Third: so cragheart is not the best damage-dealer out there. He's good at spreading out damage, and dealing true damage to high-shield enemies, but not so good at single-target stuff until quite high level, and then only with loss cards. This has a whole lot of high-HP enemies who can heal themselves and in some cases each other. So basically any null at any point can ruin your entire run.

My advice? The enemies come in waves. Just shave off the last 1 or 2 waves of them, for real.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

dwarf74 posted:

I played the Cragheart solo scenario 7 times.

It's an RNG-fest.

RNG the First: setting up your tower defense to (legally) corral the oozes, so you can ignore them and pray their natural attrition will do them in. You will not be able to kill them yourself, and need to rely on them not healing themselves.
RNG the Second: hoping that the Sun Demons don't draw the right sequence of cards to heal up everything the oozes are doing to themselves, and that you are doing to the sun demons and bears.
RNG the Third: so cragheart is not the best damage-dealer out there. He's good at spreading out damage, and dealing true damage to high-shield enemies, but not so good at single-target stuff until quite high level, and then only with loss cards. This has a whole lot of high-HP enemies who can heal themselves and in some cases each other. So basically any null at any point can ruin your entire run.

My advice? The enemies come in waves. Just shave off the last 1 or 2 waves of them, for real.

I just waited until level 7 and kicked the difficulty down by 1. It wasn't worth the frustration of doing it "normal/legit".

Edit:. This was after failing 2 or 3 times "normally". I figured out everything you just posted and said "screw this". It still wasn't easy but I did it and I'm not ashamed.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 17, 2019

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Elephant Ambush posted:

I just waited until level 7 and kicked the difficulty down by 1. It wasn't worth the frustration of doing it "normal/legit".

Edit:. This was after failing 2 or 3 times "normally". I figured out everything you just posted and said "screw this". It still wasn't easy but I did it and I'm not ashamed.
I did it at Level 6, and this was with the difficulty kicked down. On the 2nd or 3rd run I was only off by a hair. I should have just called it good at that point, tbh, but nope, I wanted to do it legit.

The Sun solo scenario was the opposite. I ran it at Level 5 but apparently messed up my Gloomhaven Helper configuration & accidentally ran it on Hard. I lost the first time, but won it rather handily the second time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So can you total move hexea from your top and bottom cards into one continuous move or do you have to do each one separately (and land appropriately)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So can you total move hexea from your top and bottom cards into one continuous move or do you have to do each one separately (and land appropriately)

You have to do each action separately and in sequence.

This becomes a lot more important when you look at some of the Brute's later cards for instance, which have e.g. Move 2 Attack 2 Move 2 Attack 2.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, they're separate actions, and it definitely matters in a lot of situations. Jump, for example, where if one of your movements ends in a hazardous/difficult terrain tile or on a trap you have to suffer the effects.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

When you have a card something that says “move 8”, can you move less than 8 or do you have to move exactly 8 hexes?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

When you have a card something that says “move 8”, can you move less than 8 or do you have to move exactly 8 hexes?
You can always move less than the full amount.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I did the cragheart scenario last night exhausted and lost by one ooze with one hit point. Got about 38 experience from that though I can just keep doing it till I level up.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

You can always move less than the full amount.

Can you move zero then?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Can you move zero then?

ayuh

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah moving 0 is a legit use of a move action.

It means if you've got something like Move 2 + infuse Fire you can stay put and still generate the element

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

TheMopeSquad posted:

I did the cragheart scenario last night exhausted and lost by one ooze with one hit point. Got about 38 experience from that though I can just keep doing it till I level up.
I didn't count XP until the last run, because I thought it'd be extremely lame while playing alone in my basement and failing. :)

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
It would be great to show up to my next multiplayer game pull out a level nine Cragheart like "yeaaah... so this happened."

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

TheMopeSquad posted:

It would be great to show up to my next multiplayer game pull out a level nine Cragheart like "yeaaah... so this happened."

I retired my Triforce between games from gold from failing their solo scenario a few times. Kind of embarassing.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
..is that cannon? I'm in a group of 4, and sometimes we can't meet, so I've considered replaying some of the campaign solo.

If I do that, I'll be "reserving" the personal quest cards for those characters, which means if nobody wants to play the two classes I played solo with, they're kinda gone from the game, aren't they? :(

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also, if you have an area attack, do you have to have a valid target to use it?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

UltraRed posted:

Also, if you have an area attack, do you have to have a valid target to use it?
Yes, at least one. You cannot use dirt tornado to just muddle an ally so they don't beat the the scenario this round.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Who should I play next? I've played mindthief, lightning, two mini, and angry face. We have everyone available. No one has played brute or tinkerer. We've only seen scoundrel to level 4. My lightning retired at 6 so almost tempted to try it again but use the less conservative build.

Another party member is retiring too. He's played crag, triforce, saw, and circles.

Other party member is Diviner.

Also Envelope X spoilers. I wonder how many times people have been talking about party comp with Bladeswarm in their party? We have him too. He doesn't seem very good so far especially since we play at level 7 and our last few scenarios have had guys with retaliate 4 he shouldn't hit especially with all the multi targets he has. The other guys have shields he can't get through.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

UltraRed posted:

..is that cannon? I'm in a group of 4, and sometimes we can't meet, so I've considered replaying some of the campaign solo.

If I do that, I'll be "reserving" the personal quest cards for those characters, which means if nobody wants to play the two classes I played solo with, they're kinda gone from the game, aren't they? :(
It's your game, brother.

There's nothing stopping you from keeping two 'instances' of the unused characters as long as they both play in separate campaigns. A lot of the game's rules were made due to limitations of the physical components rather than any balance concerns.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

UltraRed posted:

Technically yes, once a personal quest is associated with a character that association is permanent. Most groups would be happy to houserule that, though - or if you really want to do things by the book, you could run those characters through a scenario using the permadeath variant and return the quests to the deck that way.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
What about knowing treasure locations and monster types before starting a scenario? Can't see anything in the rulebook, yea or nay.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Technically you are supposed to know monster types and the layout of the room tiles but not any of the overlays, including treasure chests EDIT: by which I mean the placement of the overlays, not which overlays are present in the scenario, sorry for any confusion. In practice no one's going to care if you house rule it so you start with all the overlays revealed or if you go the other way and just place the next room on the board when the door is opened.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 18, 2019

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

UltraRed posted:

What about knowing treasure locations and monster types before starting a scenario? Can't see anything in the rulebook, yea or nay.

Official FAQ is here:

quote:

The intent and recommendation is that you try to only look at the contents of the first room (except for doors, story point markers and objective tokens). However, since all the contents of the map had to be fully displayed in the scenario book, it is technically open information. Obviously the scenario will be easier if you choose to examine all the contents before hand.

That said, as far as I can tell the vast majority of groups play that all monster types and tile types present in the scenario are known in advance since it's not practical to set up without that information, so in practice only their locations are secret.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

UltraRed posted:

Officially, you know the following before starting any normal scenario:

(1) All room tiles and their positions, all hooked up together
(2) All types of monsters in the scenario
(3) All types & quantities of overlay tiles in the scenario
(4) The locations of all doors in the scenario
(5) The full contents of the first room where you start, all monsters, overlays, etc. put in place.

You can then pick your cards, items, etc. with all that knowledge.

You are not supposed to put anything on the board (other than room tiles and doors) for subsequent rooms, including the locations of treasure tiles.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

NRVNQSR posted:

Official FAQ is here:

That said, as far as I can tell the vast majority of groups play that all monster types and tile types present in the scenario are known in advance since it's not practical to set up without that information, so in practice only their locations are secret.

I just don't understand what the designer/faq author was thinking when writing that. You must look at the map to lay out the map tiles; seeing the locations of bright yellow treasure chests (which is the main "spoiler" that matters imo) is going to be unavoidable, and once you get used to the monster portraits enough to recognize them without looking at them too hard, those locations will be spoiled too. It's loving bizarre to me to say that you're not supposed to know that stuff.

I've encountered only two or three scenarios, I think, where it really matters a lot - scenarios with multiple "optional" rooms, one of which has treasure in it. Scenario 57 (the Vengeance personal quest scenario) is the main one I remember. The quest has four rooms off the starting room, one of which has 2 treasure tiles, and one of which has the objective. You're (in theory) supposed to search around randomly. The objective isn't obvious from the map, but it's incredibly obvious from the rules text, because all 4 rooms have flavor text but only two of them have "special rules", which is large text in a different color and therefore really easy to notice accidentally. You basically can't avoid spoiling the entire scenario if you set up the map from the book. And then what are you supposed to do? Pretend you don't know and open the other two rooms anyway? Roll a die to decide where to explore? Or just proceed with the exact knowledge of where to go?

The other one that comes to mind is scenario motherfucking 2 where the guy opens doors on "special," and the second door he opens is the one with treasure in it. When looking at the map to figure out where he teleports to, you can't help but absorb the information that the second room has treasure but the third and fourth don't, so you should try and kill him after the second teleport.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

NRVNQSR posted:

That does specify when setting up the "map", so I gotta believe that you're supposed to be able to look at the scenario key so you're not running back to the box every room when there's a new monster type.

DontMockMySmock posted:

I just don't understand what the designer/faq author was thinking when writing that. You must look at the map to lay out the map tiles; seeing the locations of bright yellow treasure chests (which is the main "spoiler" that matters imo) is going to be unavoidable, and once you get used to the monster portraits enough to recognize them without looking at them too hard, those locations will be spoiled too. It's loving bizarre to me to say that you're not supposed to know that stuff.

I think it's fairly easy to focus your eyes so at the very least you don't know exact numbers and precise placement of every element (monsters plus obstacles plus traps), and if you're playing with a group of 4 only 1 person has to even have that level of interaction with it anyway. Plus once you get going and you're 40 minutes in it's easy to forget the exact number/layout of the room that you're going into which you think has fire demons and hounds. Then there's spawns and special rules which adds more wrinkles.

In hindsight the new way he does things in the expansion is cooler and obviously fulfills the design intent but I feel like that would either double the size of the scenario book or cause him to cut out like a quarter of the scenarios so I am pretty happy with what we got.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Using the 3rd party PDFs that blank out unrevealed map sections is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Guy A. Person posted:

I think it's fairly easy to focus your eyes so at the very least you don't know exact numbers and precise placement of every element

Yeah but "what rooms have treasure" and "what type of monsters are in which room" is impossible not to notice. Especially since to lay out the map you often have to squint pretty hard at the tiles to orient them correctly. When you're going "wait which way around is this hexagonal tile supposed to be" you can't help but see that it has (e.g.) two hounds, three or four bandit guards and/or archers (they look similar), and one treasure tile. Except we're playing with three players so slightly fewer monsters. So you're right that we don't know exact numbers and precise placement, but to write in the faq "you're not supposed to know ANY of that poo poo" seems insane.