Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

bull3964 posted:

What I care about though is building of hype around such a low effort execution that threatens to undermine the momentum that Samsung has been building in the WearOS space since the release of the Watch 4. We are going to go from generally positive articles about the Galaxy Watch 5 and how it’s been growing WearOS market share to blistering “WTF was google thinking, they clearly have no idea what they are doing with their wearable platform” articles in October. Now wearOS is bad again. Without a viable first party product, app makers will start deprioritizing the platform again.

The "Round Apple watch equivalent for Android" marketing pitch which they seem to be aggressively going for isn't inherently doomed even if Pixel Watch isn't objectively the best specced Wear OS device. They can clear the line with sufficient advertising spend + backroom deals for carriers to push the LTE version w/ subsidies + meeting enough Apple Watch'isms like 18h battery life/seamless Wifi+LTE Speakerphone capability/other cross-device ecosystem features. As long as it isn't excessively broken on any axis it can pretty much coast by if executed correctly (pretty big if given Google's track record tbf).

As for Wear OS regaining its punching bag status, Google's "AOSP'ization" of Wear OS 3+ by enforcing companion apps somewhat insulates that against that (since it explicitly frames the platform as being product for building products).

bull3964 posted:

It’s crazy to me that they are going to charge $50 more than an Apple Watch SE and $70 more than a Galaxy Watch 5. Fitbit integration is nice, but it’s not worth that unless they are giving you fitbit premium for the life of the device. Also, the physical design doesn’t exactly scream “robust fitness tracker.”

The "Pixel watch is a Fitbit which trades battery life for more capability" pitch that they seemingly plan to run simultaneously (going by the leaked Box + Fitbit.com cross-promotion + Fitbit CEO CNet interview comments) isn't an awful approach and seems targeted at retaining/getting back Fitbit customers who wanted more than the Versa/Sense.

EDIT: Though the strategy does make you wonder why it isn't Fitbit branded to begin with. Maybe they'll pull a Nest Hub and wake up one day and say "Your Pixel Watch is now the Fitbit [BRAND] Watch but nothing else has changed kthxbye".

quote:

ALL of that may be moot too if the Health Services api finally starts being used by everyone that signed on to it.

The Health Connect API/database doesn't really displace the need choosing an OEM Health Cloud since it's On-Device only and apps can only access the past 30 days.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Fitbit Sense but a little more would make sense (no pun intended) if that "little more" wasn't so exceedingly thin.

Fitbit Sense at $299 already has Google Wallet (soon), Google Maps, and Google Assistant while having 6+ days of battery life.

The bigger issue is that people have been waiting for years for Google's take on a Pixel Wearable and slapping the fitbit app on an otherwise mediocre WearOS device isn't going to end up exciting anyone and it is going to get SLAMMED on reviews. This is especially true this year when Samsung Released the Watch 5 Pro and Apple has the Watch Ultra. Yeah, the later is in a price class of its own, but it's still going to steal the wearable thunder. Unless there are DEEP Pixel features that haven't managed to leak, most people would probably be served better by waiting for a hacked fitbit APK to drop on their Galaxy Watch (if Google doesn't end up releasing the Fitbit app widely in the first place which is entirely possible they'll do.)

My dream is to have my Watch 5 feed continuous heartrate and step count into Fitbit Premium to compliment my Charge 5 that I use during working out so I have an complete unbroken dataset. The Pixel Watch would do that, but the battery life, size and durability is going to be a massive step back from the Galaxy Watch 5. 40mm watches look like child's toy on my wrist.

My opinion is that Google should focus on Fitbit Premium as a service and get the Fitbit app on as many WearOS devices as possible while keeping the Fitbit product line for cross platform support. You get people into the Fitbit ecosystem and give them a huge choice of hardware to use on both mobile platforms and that takes a lot of wind out of the Apple Watch's sails.

I mean, gently caress, release the fitbit app on the Apple Watch too while you are at it.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Fitbit bought Pebble, Google bought Fitbit. Give me a new Pebble, Google!!!!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Deathlove posted:

Fitbit bought Pebble, Google bought Fitbit. Give me a new Pebble, Google!!!!

loving loved my Pebbles

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you want a Pebble like device, buy a Fossil Hybrid watch. Real eink screen and 2 weeks battery life.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

My wife absolutely loves her Fossil Hybrid watch. They've struck gold with it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

BonoMan posted:

My phone is broken unfortunately so no trade-in value (of any significance). I'm really really looking to keep it around $250. There are better options on Amazon but more of a risk.

I can also wait a little, I'm using a backup Pixel 3.

edit: imma just wait til the new Prime days in 2 weeks and grab something from Warehouse for an extra 20% off or something.

If you're on Tmobile, Best Buy has Pixel 6 right now for $200 assuming you activate it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BonoMan posted:

loving loved my Pebbles

If you still have them there's a project keeping them going. I've been using my Pebble Time since 2017. https://rebble.io/ is the place to visit.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I love the Xiaomi Mi Bands. They do everything I need, the battery lasts for 3-4 weeks, and they're like 35-40 bucks.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What are some creative ways you've made use of broken screen phones? Samsung dex is interesting but I'm looking for other ideas

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Hey Bull, since you swap phones pretty regularly, I'm assuming your Galaxy Watch is synced over WiFi/LTE?

I'm looking at the Pixel Watch, but if it's underwhelming (or too small, what's up fellow large wrist haver) I'm looking at the 5 Pro. My main concern is switching users on my phone, which causes BT trackers (including the Amazon Halo band) to have to reset.

If sync happens via network, I'm assuming I can keep them unpaired via BT and just have them sync through the apps OTA?

I have a spare data line on my account that I'll just move over to that unless Verizon decides to not charge for them (Duckman?).

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

bull3964 posted:

If you want a Pebble like device, buy a Fossil Hybrid watch. Real eink screen and 2 weeks battery life.

i have one of these, it's pretty great.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

AlexDeGruven posted:

Hey Bull, since you swap phones pretty regularly, I'm assuming your Galaxy Watch is synced over WiFi/LTE?

I'm looking at the Pixel Watch, but if it's underwhelming (or too small, what's up fellow large wrist haver) I'm looking at the 5 Pro. My main concern is switching users on my phone, which causes BT trackers (including the Amazon Halo band) to have to reset.

If sync happens via network, I'm assuming I can keep them unpaired via BT and just have them sync through the apps OTA?

I have a spare data line on my account that I'll just move over to that unless Verizon decides to not charge for them (Duckman?).

You're gonna be disappointed with my response.

My secret is I have a lot of watches and keep one paired with each requisite phone. I don' t think you can even have the LTE models not paired to a device through bluetooth.

That said, the factory reset/repair process with the Galaxy Watches isn't too painful as the setup is much quicker than the old WearOS setup and you can do a backup of the watch that you can restore that puts a lot of settings back. The biggest pain point is that payment cards can't be restored and have to be setup again.

I"m not too familiar with your use case. Switching user profiles on android phones causes connected devices to be reset? It doesn't just go back to being connected when you switch back to your original user?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I've seen some people talking about forcing their Pixel 6 to not use 5G in order to save battery. I can't seem to find a setting for that anywhere on my phone. Am I blind, or does it require something more than flipping a settings switch? Or is it maybe carrier specific?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

incogneato posted:

I've seen some people talking about forcing their Pixel 6 to not use 5G in order to save battery. I can't seem to find a setting for that anywhere on my phone. Am I blind, or does it require something more than flipping a settings switch? Or is it maybe carrier specific?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Stevie Lee posted:

i have one of these, it's pretty great.

I had one of those (well the Skagen variety of it) but I hated that it doesn't use the normal notification API so when I dismiss a notification on the watch it stays on the phone.
Its also missing Wifi which means I need to stay close to my phone and couldn't just go out in the garden without taking my phone with me or It would lose the connection.

If they fix those to things I'm back cause otherwise I loved it.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

I don't have that at all. I'm on Visible, for whatever that's worth. Weird.

Can't seem to attach a screenshot in the Awful app right now, but that whole setting is just missing.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Is there anything at all I could do with a tablet from 2016?

Lenovo Tab 2 A10-30

It still boots, and still runs apps, but slow as molasses. Can still update through Play Store etc. I've actually used it to read e-book picture books from the library to my daughter, but the poor responsiveness is too annoying for me.

LineageOS seems to not support this anymore, otherwise I'd have given that a shot. Could I make a custom build of it, for such an ancient device? Anyone tried such a thing?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

incogneato posted:

I don't have that at all. I'm on Visible, for whatever that's worth. Weird.

Can't seem to attach a screenshot in the Awful app right now, but that whole setting is just missing.

*#*#4636#*#* should let you adjust the selected bands under phone info.

That being said, I don't screw with 5G on/off on my phone and I haven't noticed anything weird about my battery. I live in a metro area though, so I actually have decent 5G and even5G+ connectivity.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Maneki Neko posted:

If you're on Tmobile, Best Buy has Pixel 6 right now for $200 assuming you activate it.

I'm on Mint mobile right now (which uses TMobile) and holy poo poo the coverage is abysmal so I'm about to move off of it. I prefer to stay in prepaid plans but I'll check out some Verizon deals and see what they have. Honestly I'm so used to prepaid stuff I didn't think to check regular carriers.

bull3964 posted:

Holy crap I looked at those right when they came out and totally wanted one and ended up forgetting. Gonna go check em out.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

bull3964 posted:

You're gonna be disappointed with my response.

My secret is I have a lot of watches and keep one paired with each requisite phone. I don' t think you can even have the LTE models not paired to a device through bluetooth.

That said, the factory reset/repair process with the Galaxy Watches isn't too painful as the setup is much quicker than the old WearOS setup and you can do a backup of the watch that you can restore that puts a lot of settings back. The biggest pain point is that payment cards can't be restored and have to be setup again.

I"m not too familiar with your use case. Switching user profiles on android phones causes connected devices to be reset? It doesn't just go back to being connected when you switch back to your original user?

Yeah. When I switch back to the regular user, it treats it as a new phone/device pairing and triggers a reset. I might just head to the Verizon store and see if I can try one out.

What I would like to be able to do is set up the device via BT if required, then remove the BT pairing once network sync is established, and then forget about it unless/until I change/wipe my phone.

In Samsung's corner, the personal Knox gives me the separation I want without the same issue, but I prefer to be able to use whatever phone I have at the time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just not sure it will work since the Galaxy Wearable app will need to be paired with the device to do notifications and I know it gets really wonky if the bluetooth pairing is deleted even if cloud sync enabled and the watch is on Wifi, so I don't think the LTE version will be much difference since it's really just using the LTE the same way it uses wifi on the other models.

Similar to how you can't use an Apple Watch LTE without having it paired via bluetooth to a base iphone.

I'm just confused as to why the phone is dumping bluetooth connections permanently when you switch users.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I just not sure it will work since the Galaxy Wearable app will need to be paired with the device to do notifications and I know it gets really wonky if the bluetooth pairing is deleted even if cloud sync enabled and the watch is on Wifi, so I don't think the LTE version will be much difference since it's really just using the LTE the same way it uses wifi on the other models.

Similar to how you can't use an Apple Watch LTE without having it paired via bluetooth to a base iphone.

I'm just confused as to why the phone is dumping bluetooth connections permanently when you switch users.

It's only done it so far with my Halo band and a cheapo tracker I tried before. I'm going to try to see if I can get my hands on one to see if it was just that particular type of device.

But the operation with the Halo was:
Switch to other user
Do stuff, but not touching the Halo app or even the BT pairing
Switch back to main user
Open Halo app and be greeted with "set up your new device"

The other cheapo BT band I tried did a similar thing.

It would be nice if I was just overthinking things and a non-poo poo device will work just fine.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Nailed it Google. I'll get right on those.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I've been really unhappy with my Pixel 5a as a hardware device (finicky fingerprint reader, some responsive issues), and the fact that people seem to recommend the 5, the 6a or the 6 seem to confirm my experience. Curious about the 7 (or a cheaper price on the 6), since I have generally liked the software experience, but I feel like I've been burned by my first Pixel.

Was the 5a just janky, or maybe just the one I have? I recognize that part of my frustration is that I bought the 5a based on a rumor that the 6 would be much more expensive than it ended up actually being, so I already started off feeling kinda burned.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Well thanks for listening to my inaneity, Bull.

I think I'm on the right track. Ganked my 9 year old's Garmin Sq and set it up on my phone. Flipped to the other user, did some things there. Flipped back, and it was connected perfectly.

I think I'm still going to go with an LTE version of whichever watch I get just because I want to be able to leave my phone sometimes but still stay connected.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Keep in mind that as long as you have wifi where you are, you actually still stay connected to your phone.

My issue with LTE on WearOS watches is that the app selection is still kinda "eh" for the most part and there's not a ton of stuff you can initiate on the watch. Phone calls and SMS are about it.

It's not like you can reference your mail since there's no gmail client (so you can only really read new mail as it comes in). You can't unlock your door to your house because there's no Google Home app yet. WearOS watches are just not that independent since so much results in "Check Phone" after you hit it.

The Modern Leper posted:

I've been really unhappy with my Pixel 5a as a hardware device (finicky fingerprint reader, some responsive issues), and the fact that people seem to recommend the 5, the 6a or the 6 seem to confirm my experience. Curious about the 7 (or a cheaper price on the 6), since I have generally liked the software experience, but I feel like I've been burned by my first Pixel.

Was the 5a just janky, or maybe just the one I have? I recognize that part of my frustration is that I bought the 5a based on a rumor that the 6 would be much more expensive than it ended up actually being, so I already started off feeling kinda burned.

The 5 and the 5a are essentially the same device with the 5 being just a little more premium built, smaller, and has a higher refresh rate screen.

The only real issues I've seen people mention about the 5a is heating when recording longer 4k videos.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1575520408027430912?t=O-oGsdml-sRlqEiI2LBKjg&s=19

Another frag to Google's KD/R

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Nitrousoxide posted:

Note: Brave's CEO is a real piece of poo poo. So if you use that turn off anything they could use to monetize your eyeball time.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Is there a reason why Google disabled Android Auto on phones other than "gently caress you, that's why"?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lol good god Google. You just can't trust to invest in anything coming out of them.

I liked the Nest ecosystem experience much better than Amazon's (thermostat, cameras, etc) but I just switched because I couldn't trust Google to ever stay in the game. I'm guess that stuff will be next on the chopping block.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
No one uses stadia, this isn't a surprise to anyone

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Okay yeah gently caress Brave, not touching that with a ten foot pole.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've been using Edge the last few weeks, it's really quite nice

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Not sure what a random article from https://thetechtian.com/chromium-based-browsers/ has has to do with that. The BAT stuff is opt-in for Brave BTW, it defaults to off.

Skarsnik posted:

I've been using Edge the last few weeks, it's really quite nice

If the goal is privacy, Edge is just as bad as Chrome. It's a fine Chromium browser otherwise though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

sourdough posted:

No one uses stadia, this isn't a surprise to anyone

Following the tech news, it's a surprise it's last this long. I think it was around this time last year that Google was saying "Stadia is totally going to last, we will not abandon it," which was pretty much a death sentence right there.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Nitrousoxide posted:

If the goal is privacy, Edge is just as bad as Chrome. It's a fine Chromium browser otherwise though.

No I dgaf about that sorry, I use android after all :shrug:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Does Brave mine for crypto on mobile too or is that just desktop lol

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I have used Kiwi Browser for some years now.
It's based on Chromium and supports Chrome extensions directly from from the Chrome web store. Lots of other neat optional features like different ways of grouping tabs, address bar at the top or bottom etc.
After a great beginning, the original developer stopped maintaining it, and it fell behind regular Chromium updates. It got picked up again 1-2(?) years ago, and is now completely up to date with Chromium releases.
The standard desktop uBlock Origin Chrome extension with all its bells and whistles + lists runs perfectly fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

How do you export passwords saved in chrome?