Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk, if you see a half dozen bloodstains then you know you’re probably gonna have a bad time, it’s probably the most useful aspect of online besides messages with 100+ likes. And yeah, I guess it’s partly a luck of the draw thing because I usually get way more “ambush ahead, look left” and “try fire” for enemies weak to it messages than memes.

And the “try finger but hole” and “amazing chest ahead” were tired when they were new, but I don’t wanna play a version of Elden Ring where every turtle doesn’t have a “dog!” message with 1000 likes next to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
If you use community passwords like from Reddit or Discord groups you usually get pretty helpful messages

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
My first interaction with Dark Souls and its online component was near the very beginning, where there I read one of the first messages upon the ground. "Try jumping," it said. And then I saw before me a helpful ghost, which ran ahead and leapt off the cliff. I didn't know about how the online component worked at the time -- I thought this was a tutorial ghost. So I leapt to my death. When I got back to the location, I did it again. I did it again, thinking, well I must be doing something wrong, even though I'm mimicking that tutorial ghost perfectly!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Someone should mod in racing ghosts.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Fallen aces is really good but the melee feels unnecessary,i would have just preferred a full on shooter.

Just picked this up and yeah, I totally agree. Doesn't help that Guns take up two of your three slots if you want to reload. Or that the enemies weapons break as soon as they die/ are KOd, So you have to run around scavenging after every few fights.

Health items also taking up weapon slots instead being gadgets is also just a deranged decision.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Hel posted:

Just picked this up and yeah, I totally agree. Doesn't help that Guns take up two of your three slots if you want to reload. Or that the enemies weapons break as soon as they die/ are KOd, So you have to run around scavenging after every few fights.

Health items also taking up weapon slots instead being gadgets is also just a deranged decision.

It’s pretty solid gameplay wise for a first part,but yeah either give me a “everybody has guns mode” and turn it into DOOM or “everybody fights barehanded” cause the game is simultaneously too easy when you can snipe people and slows to a crawl when you’re scavving for weapons.

Also the main character just seems deranged with his one-liners.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Dark Souls III Ringed City: these turtle priest guys suck. They just exist to waste your time; their main attack is a damage portal with a lot of range so running past is more of a pain in the rear end than with a normal enemy, and it feels like a crapshoot whether a full combo can take them out of if they have enough time to cast their full heal spell while also hiding for five seconds. There are worse enemies in Souls, or even this game’s DLC, and I can handle these well enough by just using the “summon giant explosion” spell, but casting magic on every basic bitch enemy because they have a turtle shell and a heal that’s also a damaging AOE just bores me.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Ixion is a Frostpunk-esque survival city builder game. It's got a lot of rough edges, but the one that really gets me is an introduction of Chapter 2: Space Weather. There can be gigantic areas of the system map that will randomly blow up your ships if they go into it. And, for whatever reason, it never occurs to anyone on the ship to just... go... around... that. Ships will only ever take the most direct possible route between the mothership and their destination, and while you can mark certain destinations as things to ignore, you can't set routes or set a specific area as something to avoid. You can't even really do it manually, as ships can only be directed to go to extant waypoints, like asteroids or comets, not to locations in space. Sure, we might be the last remnants of human civilization, but there's no way we can go around danger.

As far as I can tell, the only solution is to physically move the mothership itself, something that causes it to take a bunch of expensive damage in the process.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Why does Sniper Elite 5 give me a non-lethal option.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

moosecow333 posted:

Why does Sniper Elite 5 give me a non-lethal option.

Because it went too far into the stealth game fandom that believes "Killing is the mark of an amateur" and that strict ghosting is the only true way to play.
So now you have a game that rewards you more for not killing nazis, it's really dumb.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The real reward is popping Hitler’s single ball from half a mile away.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bussamove posted:

The real reward is popping Hitler’s single ball from half a mile away.

You should get points for permanantly incapacitating nazis but leaving them alive and suffering.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Fil5000 posted:

You should get points for permanantly incapacitating nazis but leaving them alive and suffering.

Nazis deserve death, not kneecaps.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Muscle Tracer posted:

Ixion is a Frostpunk-esque survival city builder game. It's got a lot of rough edges, but the one that really gets me is an introduction of Chapter 2: Space Weather. There can be gigantic areas of the system map that will randomly blow up your ships if they go into it. And, for whatever reason, it never occurs to anyone on the ship to just... go... around... that. Ships will only ever take the most direct possible route between the mothership and their destination, and while you can mark certain destinations as things to ignore, you can't set routes or set a specific area as something to avoid. You can't even really do it manually, as ships can only be directed to go to extant waypoints, like asteroids or comets, not to locations in space. Sure, we might be the last remnants of human civilization, but there's no way we can go around danger.

As far as I can tell, the only solution is to physically move the mothership itself, something that causes it to take a bunch of expensive damage in the process.

I started off really liking Ixion, but its such a slog to accomplish things.

In retrospect, the ship falling apart constantly is a good analogue for the cybertruck and the dipshit techbro.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Modern soulslike games (playing Nine Sols at the moment). I used to love DS1 & 2, but it feels like every new entry just focuses more and more on rote memorization. Telegraphs for enemy attacks have become either non-existent or fakeouts that are designed to make you waste your dodge and hit you afterwards, and the comboes monsters (especially bosses) do become ridiculously long without giving the player any idea how many hits are coming.

How am I supposed to know if the enemy is going to attack me once, twice, or 16 times in a row with a nanosecond between the attacks? I can't, so I just have to die repeatedly until I memorize the entire enemy movelist, and then it just becomes a game of "can I remember how many moves are piled together in this combo? If not, I get hit, stunned and probably die". Winning these fights isn't even rewarding anymore, any more than memorizing pi decimals is.

(Nine Sols isn't that bad about it tbh, but some of the lategame bosses have the "guess how many times I hit in a row!"-thing. At least it doesn't have fakeout telegraphs!)

EDIT: I like some of the soulslike multiplayer elements, but for instance I tried to play Elden Ring in coop with a buddy, and the invader thing absolutely ruined it. We could kill an invader, push forwards a bit, and another one would pop up. We were fighting the invaders more than the enemies and there was no way to turn it off (without mods, I think?) so we just quit.

Dropbear has a new favorite as of 01:12 on Jun 19, 2024

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Nazis deserve death, not kneecaps.

I liked shooting them in the heart. That's where real evil is born.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Still Wakes the Deep seems like it could've been a cool game about being on a crumbling oil rig, lacking maintenance, that finally starts collapsing after a disaster.

Unfortunately it's got horrormonsters in it which ruin the mood a bit and means you get less time with the characters.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Vic posted:

This is funny because long windups give you more time to recognize what attack is coming and react to it. It teaches player not to panic roll.

I remember someone measuring some of ER's boss attacks from the start of the actual attack to the time when it deals damage, and some of them were around ~40 milliseconds if memory serves.

No matter how good you think you are, you are not reacting to that without just plain memorizing the moveset first, since as stated before, the telegraphs will bluff you.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh I think if the game just told you what it wants out of you people would be more agreeable about the design, because the “intended” timing feels pretty consistent for evasion/parries across all the souls games, BB and Sekiro, but the game never tells you what it (when an enemy swinging/striking at you begins to move their hand downward/forward). poo poo, I only know it because I looked up a video on how to parry in DS1, but I can use the timing for deflects in Sekiro and dodgerolling through delayed moves…when I don’t get jittery and dodge early. I guess the other games are mostly trying not to break immersion or whatever too much, but Elden Ring already has those in game demonstration videos.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Dropbear posted:

I remember someone measuring some of ER's boss attacks from the start of the actual attack to the time when it deals damage, and some of them were around ~40 milliseconds if memory serves.
Well look it up, sounds like a cool video we could look at to figure if there is in fact a tell preceding that swing down.

Dropbear posted:

No matter how good you think you are, you are not reacting to that without just plain memorizing the moveset first, since as stated before, the telegraphs will bluff you.
There are no telegraphs that bluff you, only moves. Common undead in DS1 had moves that will trick you because they don't come down immediatelly. You also don't have to memorize poo poo unless your goal is a no hit run challenge.

e: Or maybe by memorization you mean just the basic git gud which, obviously, is expected.

Vic has a new favorite as of 11:39 on Jun 19, 2024

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Playing Still Wakes the Deep and I'm not too far in but the monster stuff really feels unnecessary and it probably could have been just as scary if you were just trying to survive a natural disaster. Also not sure how I feel about this but most of the characters are Scots and the subtitles don't transliterate the accent and also just puts colloquialisms in plain English.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Miles Edgeworth is getting a remaster, complete with a western localization of the sequel for the first time.

I'm reminded that the 1st, 2nd, and 4th cases are all solid. They move the Ace Attorney formula in a direction I find more engaging than the point-and-click interface. There is some odd pacing in how little Edgeworth's sidekick and rival rarely show up. But the 3rd and 5th cases are real stinkers.

The 3rd case has you investigate the backroom of a funhouse, until the owner kicks you out. So instead your sidekick uses a magic wand that virtually recreates the entire murder scene and everyone goes along with it, treating it like actual evidence. Ghost mediums are one thing, but this CSI "enhance single pixel to reveal entire image" takes the piss. It's almost self-parody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7mjDl2fDtY

The 5th case notoriously has you fighting the Tree Man. You spend hours trying to stop this dude from leaving a building, since he keeps evoking diplomatic immunity. The Tree Man isn't a terribly engaging villain since he has no emotional ties to Edgeworth, nor does he have any prior appearances before now. The Tree Man goes down in the stupidest way possible thanks to a box of hotdogs and the testimony of the most loving annoying comic relief in the series.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Jun 19, 2024

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Are you really spoiling a bunch of stuff from a game that hasn't even come out yet

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, maybe put all of that in spoiler tags since most people haven't played the fan translation?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

those are spoilers from the first game

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I mean still, kinda thought the spoiler policy was to be conscientious of potential newcomers when things like remasters/remakes get announced.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I approve of not spoiling things that everyone might not have played. If you wanna read it, you can just click on it.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Vic posted:

Well look it up, sounds like a cool video we could look at to figure if there is in fact a tell preceding that swing down.

I thought it was from this one, but from a quick glance I couldn't find the frame-by-frame thing where the 40 milliseconds (if I remember right) came from - I'm pretty sure one example was the beast clergyman though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEyjdc-DIb8&t=4867s.

EDIT: Did some more digging, it might've been in one of his other videos, hard to say; I distinctly remember some Elden Ring version of this, but ah well. Here's some fun ~10 frame attacks (at 60fps), anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wLHbKPRgUM&t=1838s. If you count the time from the "weapon raised"-position (which can last arbitrarily long, that's the fakeout) to dealing damage, I'm pretty confident some of ER's attacks are much faster than that. If that vid is to be believed, average human reaction time to visuals is between 200-300ms, so way above those.

Vic posted:

There are no telegraphs that bluff you, only moves. Common undead in DS1 had moves that will trick you because they don't come down immediatelly. You also don't have to memorize poo poo unless your goal is a no hit run challenge.

What does that even mean? I can 100% promise you that there are telegraphs intentionally made to look like the attack is coming earlier or later than it looks like, so you can't figure out the timing based on them (which is, you know, the entire point of having a telegraph at all?) & get punished by the boss magically hanging in the air or something until your dodge is done. That's why stuff like this was such a meme at release: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDwoEQGEQmQ&t=1s

Of course you can, again, memorize the fakeout timings and then dodge correctly, but I don't find that fun in the least. I never felt like the animation designer was intentionally trolling me before DS3 (though stuff like bed of chaos were a whole other problem), but maybe I missed something.

Maybe the playerbase has become so used to the more "fair" design that they'd find the games too easy without stuff like this, I don't know. Maybe it is the correct way to play to the "git gud" market. I'm not finding it any fun or interesting.

On a related note, remember when people were outraged at Dark Souls 2 for attacks tracking your character after they start? That was a huge critique back then, at least on these forums. Now most bosses do that. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, though (although sometimes it does look goofy as hell) when you expect it.

Dropbear has a new favorite as of 18:42 on Jun 19, 2024

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Playing Still Wakes the Deep and I'm not too far in but the monster stuff really feels unnecessary and it probably could have been just as scary if you were just trying to survive a natural disaster. Also not sure how I feel about this but most of the characters are Scots and the subtitles don't transliterate the accent and also just puts colloquialisms in plain English.

Yeah, they should have had an option for the subtitles to be literal, as well as an option for sanitised English. A missed opportunity!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

In that video the telegraph is very clearly the moment he reaches the end of his sword.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I'm replaying Resident Evil Village right now. No matter how much I tweak the brightness and contrast I still can barely see poo poo. It's not spooky darkness, it's just aggravating darkness.

Also does Ethan need an inhaler? Because his breathing is LOUD.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
He has black mold in his lungs from spending too much time in a Louisianian basement

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

grittyreboot posted:

I'm replaying Resident Evil Village right now. No matter how much I tweak the brightness and contrast I still can barely see poo poo. It's not spooky darkness, it's just aggravating darkness.

Also does Ethan need an inhaler? Because his breathing is LOUD.

Sounds like it might be a problem with your monitor. The game isn't that dark (except for a few sections).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

His lungs probably haven't recovered from being around all that fungus in the last game

e:

Professor Wayne posted:

He has black mold in his lungs from spending too much time in a Louisianian basement

:argh:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The opening Village section is significantly darker than the main game

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Thing dragging down RE8 is that Capcom really should have realized that players would be most interested in Lady D and probably should have put her in more of the game. Really though splitting up the areas into different bosses just means you don't spend enough time with any of them really.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
That's my main issue with RE 7 and 8, they have these good characters and then don't have them interact after their first scenes together. Putting them in a gauntlet is just disappointing.

Second issue is that Ethan is a bad protagonist.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

muscles like this! posted:

Thing dragging down RE8 is that Capcom really should have realized that players would be most interested in Lady D and probably should have put her in more of the game. Really though splitting up the areas into different bosses just means you don't spend enough time with any of them really.

If Capcom had adjusted the game proportionally to the interest shown in the character RE8 would have been a monster girl dating simulator where the aim of the game would be to be stepped on by a series of impossibly large, elegant ladies.

Like, do you remember the nature of the interest people had in Lady D?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

lady D was the least interesting boss and I don’t think it’s particularly close except in the case of Salvatore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The best change to the game would be to have Ethan be driving around in his tiny tank 100% of the time