Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Alright so I guess I'll stop following this thread on the 30th, huh? Glad it is getting EA out soon, hopefully that means more polish or a quicker release date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heffer
May 1, 2003

General Battuta posted:

Yall who build deep bases in the Tree Cove and surrounds, how do you deal with the lack of table coral for circuits? You can't grow it, so it's the only material I found myself needing to go back to the Safe Zone to find.

It grows in different colors in different biomes, but its always growing on the side of something in that stacked ladder formation.

The only thing I think the river and beyond lack, or can't be grown, are stalker teeth.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Below Zero isn't a DLC on Steam. It has its own page.

Also they predict it will be in Early Access "at least" a year.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 25, 2019

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

General Battuta posted:

Yall who build deep bases in the Tree Cove and surrounds, how do you deal with the lack of table coral for circuits? You can't grow it, so it's the only material I found myself needing to go back to the Safe Zone to find.

It looks different, but you can still find some in the Lost River. Wish I’d known that, because I just hauled it in the Cyclops from the Safe Shallows.
:shrug:

Demiurge4 posted:

Currently playing a new game and rushed down to the tree cove to build my main base. I’m living out of that cave now through an elaborate system of beacons for navigation and using the prawn to collect the building materials I need to expand. I need so much loving titanium.

I forgot where the Teleporter is down here though. I’d like a quick surface shortcut.

Leave the Cove and hang a left, straight up and across the Juvenile Ghost Leviathan’s range, then the portal entrance is under the sulphuric falls in the corner!

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Zesty posted:

Below Zero isn't a DLC on Steam. It has its own page.

Also they predict it will be in Early Access "at least" a year.

They said from the start it's a standalone product.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

So, this game is like Radical Heights 'eh?

does this mean it will work for 2 months and shut down?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Heffer posted:

The only thing I think the river and beyond lack, or can't be grown, are stalker teeth.

Couldn’t you breed your own stalkers in the alien containment, set them free outside your cove base, then give them some metal salvage to play with?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Comrade Koba posted:

Couldn’t you breed your own stalkers in the alien containment, set them free outside your cove base, then give them some metal salvage to play with?

Yes!

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

It's amazing how quickly building a base in a Ghost Leviathan's patrol area has made me lose my fear of them. I've gone from :supaburn: OH GOD WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT?! to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7_pVrIshxA
except the trash bag is my Prawn.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If you really want you can give them the coral hang out near too.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Instead of this below zero dlc I really really wish they were doing an Abyss expansion.

The lowest the sub goes is 1300 meters which is pathetically nothing. The Mariana trench is 10000 meters deep! Imagine the adventure getting that far down!

But no instead we get some ice :smith:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DropsySufferer posted:

Instead of this below zero dlc I really really wish they were doing an Abyss expansion.

The lowest the sub goes is 1300 meters which is pathetically nothing. The Mariana trench is 10000 meters deep! Imagine the adventure getting that far down!

The chance for a perpetual snowstorm to excuse the draw distances that look absurd in Subnautica is probably making the devs feel like the greatest geniuses since Superman 64.

Though yes, 'gently caress these infinite spawns :black101:' abyss content does sound like it would have been pretty metal. Even if it was just 'Survive the race towards X depth to get beyond the the infinity monsters layer' to hit new terrain you'd need a decked out cyclops to reach.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 26, 2019

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yea 1300 meters in game is pretty great, but in the big picture is pretty sad. That said it's a reasonable trade off for the game world of Subnautica.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I had trouble finding stalker teeth and then discovered this one trench in the shallows where apparently the stalker graveyard was because it had a couple hundred stalker teeth piled in it

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
uhhh. Think you could screenshot that?

Because you get stalker teeth by chance when stalkers take a bite at metal.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

I had trouble finding stalker teeth and then discovered this one trench in the shallows where apparently the stalker graveyard was because it had a couple hundred stalker teeth piled in it

Yeah what’s happening here is a couple of stalkers gravitated around the same few pieces of salvage and stole it from each other over and over again while you were a few grids over.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

LeschNyhan posted:

Yeah what’s happening here is a couple of stalkers gravitated around the same few pieces of salvage and stole it from each other over and over again while you were a few grids over.
yeah, that's what I figured. still, it was funny.

Zesty posted:

uhhh. Think you could screenshot that?

Because you get stalker teeth by chance when stalkers take a bite at metal.
I looted them all over the course of a couple trips, so no screenshots. :v:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm picturing a literal pile of hundreds of stalker teeth. Is this what you found?

with a piece of scrap metal in the middle, I imagine.

It absolutely sounds like a bug.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Collect a bunch of stalkers by giving them metal and fish for infinite teeth and friends.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DropsySufferer posted:

I'm imagining a game map turned sideways, where the entire thing takes place in a trench a hundred metres max wide, and kilometres long and deep. Everything clinging to the side or on rock shelves and cave systems off sideways into the rock.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zesty posted:

I'm picturing a literal pile of hundreds of stalker teeth. Is this what you found?

with a piece of scrap metal in the middle, I imagine.

It absolutely sounds like a bug.
yes. because they have physics and occupy space, they would naturally collect down at the bottom of this one valley along the entire length of it. Hundreds of them within a few chunks of my base(hence why they were spawning so frequently, because stalkers were "active" in that area)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Stalkers can tend to hang around your base too to steal your camera drones. One of those interesting things where observation of how a creature acts and where it lives helps you acquire an important resource.

Speaking of, there seems to be a subtle thing that you don't find Reefbacks in any area where other Leviathans are active. They get oddly comforting after a while.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Stalkers can tend to hang around your base too to steal your camera drones. One of those interesting things where observation of how a creature acts and where it lives helps you acquire an important resource.

Speaking of, there seems to be a subtle thing that you don't find Reefbacks in any area where other Leviathans are active. They get oddly comforting after a while.

well, except in my most recent game where a ghost leviathan followed me from the blood kelp all the way to the red grass plateaus ... and decided to make that their new home. Bastard made that area a no-go/run past zone.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

MikeJF posted:

I'm imagining a game map turned sideways, where the entire thing takes place in a trench a hundred metres max wide, and kilometres long and deep. Everything clinging to the side or on rock shelves and cave systems off sideways into the rock.

The only issue would be the travel time. So there would either have to be other biomes and more to do on the way getting down or a new super fast sub. Buildable teleporters would work too.

It does disappoint me that the creators aren’t going with the obvious next step and that this game isn’t easily modable so someone else can make a mod at least.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DropsySufferer posted:

The only issue would be the travel time. So there would either have to be other biomes and more to do on the way getting down or a new super fast sub. Buildable teleporters would work too.

I mean like the map literally be like a regular map on its side, you you'd have different biomes and points all around the trench and it'd be a slow progression over the course of the game from top to bottom as you unlock more and more.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Rynoto posted:

Collect a bunch of stalkers by giving them metal and fish for infinite teeth and friends.

From what I remeber seeing, the best way to get stalker teeth is uh

lemme see if i still have the link.

https://old.reddit.com/r/subnautica/comments/66mdc3/yup_precursor_gun_pool_is_the_perfect_location/?st=jrduseky&sh=5b9e9c64

and/or
https://imgur.com/a/QR0Rs

Tldr: Bring some tame stalkers and some scrap to the moonpool at the gun platform. Its big enough they never wander out and just play ball with scrap as long as the biome's loaded.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also, apparently getting new camera drones is as simple as using the habitat builder to mildly reconstruct the scanner room by undoing it 1% and fixing it back up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TheParadigm posted:

Tldr: Bring some tame stalkers and some scrap to the moonpool at the gun platform. Its big enough they never wander out and just play ball with scrap as long as the biome's loaded.

Still sad you can't throw some scrap in tank in your base.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

TheParadigm posted:

Also, apparently getting new camera drones is as simple as using the habitat builder to mildly reconstruct the scanner room by undoing it 1% and fixing it back up.

Do remember to take the upgrades out of their panel if you're going to use this, nothing like realizing you're out of Magnetite after blackholing your set of four range upgrades.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

MikeJF posted:

Still sad you can't throw some scrap in tank in your base.

I’ve never tried it but does it not let you drop things besides eggs/animals in containment?

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
I felt like replaying the original game for about an hour. drat, I missed the feel of just starting out in Subnautica, having nothing but a couple of protein bars and a canteen, don't even have a knife. I think the soundtrack is totally key to the experience being as powerful as it is early on.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

DreadCthulhu posted:

I felt like replaying the original game for about an hour. drat, I missed the feel of just starting out in Subnautica, having nothing but a couple of protein bars and a canteen, don't even have a knife. I think the soundtrack is totally key to the experience being as powerful as it is early on.

Yeah, the sound design and ambient score do amazing atmospheric work! :thumbsup:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Shame the sound guy forgot the fifth rule.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Never get involved in a land war in Asia?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
More like 'don't expect to be so irreplaceable as to not be fired after you vomit a bunch of sexist/racist/bigoted hateshit on Twitter'.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Loading up my Cyclops (jesus that thing's big) for my grand expedition to build a new proper base next to the blue glowy tree (seemed like a good place?) in the deep green caverns. It's like packing for a trip. Do I have everything I need?

LonsomeSon posted:

Do remember to take the upgrades out of their panel if you're going to use this, nothing like realizing you're out of Magnetite after blackholing your set of four range upgrades.

Exactly what happened to me after I brushed over it by accident with the habitat builder less than five minutes after building my range upgrades. :aarg:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

MikeJF posted:

Loading up my Cyclops (jesus that thing's big) for my grand expedition to build a new proper base next to the blue glowy tree (seemed like a good place?) in the deep green caverns. It's like packing for a trip. Do I have everything I need?

Exactly what happened to me after I brushed over it by accident with the habitat builder less than five minutes after building my range upgrades. :aarg:
If you ever want to bring the Seamoth around, remember to build any moonpools above ejecting your seamoth crush depth :downs: But that is a very popular place for a base.

That said, make sure you also have enough parts to build a Moonpool even if you only care about the Prawn. Unless they patched in the ability for the Cyclops to craft every single Prawn module when I wasn't looking.

Drake_263 posted:

More like 'don't expect to be so irreplaceable as to not be fired after you vomit a bunch of sexist/racist/bigoted hateshit on Twitter'.
Given they waited until long after they no longer needed more content from him, it became more like a glorified layoff than anything immediately punishing.

Until the norm is dealing with that sort of thing immediately rather than waiting until it's convenient or more cost effective to cut them loose, nobody is gonna learn poo poo :sigh:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 27, 2019

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I asked about this during the livestream preview, actually.

Turns out the FTL sound guy is on board now. I think it'll be a-ok :D

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Drake_263 posted:

Oh gross. :barf:

TheParadigm posted:

I asked about this during the livestream preview, actually.

Turns out the FTL sound guy is on board now. I think it'll be a-ok :D

Oh yay! :woop:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
In retrospect, I think it's probably not a bad thing that they abandoned a few biome ideas like ice floes and lily pads for the base game, since they'd be kinda outta place in the end setting that's basically the planet's equivalent of a tropical, volcanic region; coral reefs, kelp forests, sandy plateaus, tropical islands, a touch of deep trenches and underwater caves. A polar region lends itself to a different set of biomes, as would a swampy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
So I'm at the point where I need Kyanite to build depth modules. But it seems that all Kyanite is at a depth deeper then the Prawn suit can go, and that the Prawn suit is need to mine Kyanite. I know there exists some loose kyanite crystals somewhere, but plot-wise it doesn't seem like there is any good way to find them other then dumb-luck. Is this correct or did I miss a branch somewhere that would lead me to some?