Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Fat hand? What about the rest of him :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

rabidsquid posted:

scarras nickname in China is fat hand

is this some sort of advanced katarina button mashing joke

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i have no idea, also i am really new at learning to read mandarin so its possible i got it wrong

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Sexpansion posted:

True, but they play in a significantly more difficult region than Splyce and CLG is CLG.

I don't think so. I watched the whole LMS playoffs and I think all of those teams are going to do pretty bad at Worlds. That's just my hot take though. Others probably disagree.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Libertine posted:

I don't think so. I watched the whole LMS playoffs and I think all of those teams are going to do pretty bad at Worlds. That's just my hot take though. Others probably disagree.

Still depressed at how badly standard lanes destroyed J Team. Had really wanted to see those guys at Worlds. :(

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

J Team really hosed up by trying a laneswap in 6.15, i can't believe a team that was riding on their ability to win standard lanes also had such a shallow champion pool. the rookie mid loving up is one thing, but three of those guys are serious veterans. Also TPA was a way better name, and that hurts them.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
To be honest J Team's "veteran presence" hasn't really been much of an advantage for them for a while. Failure to adapt was a major problem for them all year, and Morning's contributions can be summed up as "get ahead in lane, then transition my lead into ?????" Their Summer success only came from breaking their old veteran-reliant patterns and recentering their play around mid-jungle synergy.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I also really wanted J Team to go on, they looked really exciting, they got hosed hard by the patch and like you guys said, went with a really high risk strategy in the biggest tournament of the year.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
http://www.op.gg/summoner/userName=Longzhu%20Crash

God drat crash.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
There's a reddit topic asking why the World's pool is still the same as it's always been, despite League growing to be the undisputed largest E-Sport in the world.

Let's take it to twitter to see Phreak's hot take:

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 11, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RealFoxy posted:

There's a reddit topic asking why the World's pool is still the same as it's always been, despite League growing to be the undisputed largest E-Sport in the world.

Let's take it to twitter to see Phreak's hot take:

Oh good they decided to start up the team income thing just before worlds in case people forgot

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Phreak is a literal retard isn't he

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
why havent they taken these loving idiots' twitter accounts yet god loving drat

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Luna Was Here posted:

why havent they taken these loving idiots' twitter accounts yet god loving drat

Yes

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Kashuno posted:

Oh good they decided to start up the team income thing just before worlds in case people forgot
It just gets better.

Um, Phreak a major sponsor just posted a giant Reddit topic about how Riot threatened TSM to have a video featuring the VR games removed because Riot considered it a conflict of interest. Riot pressured Reddit mods to have the HTC commercials about former pros in the retirement home taken down multiple times because it doesn't feature League of Legends.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I can't even be mad at their insanely terrible PR because if it was better, it would just mean that they were better at covering up and shutting up about their horrible business practices. In a way we need to thank Tryndamere, Phreak and all the other total morons for bringing to light how shady Riot are being about the esports financials

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

The Mash posted:

Phreak is a literal retard isn't he

Yes

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It feels like they've somehow never really advanced beyond the mentality of being a tiny-rear end startup making a DotA knockoff in the actual operation of the company, especially when it comes to PR. It's "fine" to have Pendragon or whoever running their mouths off when your popularity is slowly starting to ramp up, but having these idiot Twitter slapfights when you're a wildly successful video game company benefits no one and makes them look embarrassingly amateurish.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
phreak is like an alternate reality version of thorin that joined riot and focused all his autism into making excuses for his employer instead of finding 10,000 different ways to misinterpret people's opinions

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
me irl whenever i read phreaks twitter

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Jesus, even as someone who sticks up for Riotmore than normal in this thread this is pathetic. How do you not spend 15 minutes having a group meeting on how to approach a topic that's obviously going to pop up around worlds?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

this isnt actually that surprising, especially if you're familiar with wotc who are even more cheap than riot

edit: in response to "tournament payouts have literally never gone up even though you guys make a ton of cash on the game" they came up with a solution where they cut the pro player benefits by a huge amount and then put that money back in to the prize pool.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

I dont think what Phreak is saying is even true. CSGO gets like 500k viewers for big events. Worlds mgiht beat that with Chinese and Korean viewers counted, but I dont think the NALCS playoffs came close to 500k.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Last season's Worlds final alone had something like 14 million viewers worldwide.

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I'd take WoTC over Riot any day.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Don't say things you can't take back. WotC has horrifically bungled every aspect of every product they've made in the past 10 or so years other than (sometimes) the actual content of their games.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
league has lovely prize pools because they are lovely at capitalizing on their insane place in the market, i don't see anything new about this

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Yeah I almost posted this like three times, Crash is crazy good

Also it's hilarious how he's only playing rek'sai / gragas.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
he probably wont be on the current patch

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

YancyQ posted:

I'd take WoTC over Riot any day.

yes, the company that responded to "your prize pool hasnt increased in literally 20 years" by taking away money from the pros to pay the pros is definitely an improvement over, uh, dumb tweets

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
it actually just occurred to me, does riot not do any kind of sponsorship/advertisement deals? you always see the little OGN ads on LCK but i can't recall ever seeing anything like that on LCS

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
They did it with Coke for a bit

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Sometimes they've got a single sponsor, like Coke Zero Challenger Series but that's all.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

sprite is a big sponsor in the LPL, and actually 3-0'd EDG during the finals

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

"I got out of the coke game and went with Sprite instead"
-- Ocean Drake

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

it actually just occurred to me, does riot not do any kind of sponsorship/advertisement deals? you always see the little OGN ads on LCK but i can't recall ever seeing anything like that on LCS

That is the case, yes. It "detracts from the experience" aka they think people are less likely to buy skins if they're shown anything that's not league of legends

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

does anyone remember those hilarious chinese kfc league of legends ads

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

does anyone remember those hilarious chinese kfc league of legends ads

Didn't they still have a dude eating chicken during the drafts this split?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

Has anything about Riot's management of LCS led you to believe that they ever bothered to hire someone who knows anything about monetizing esports events?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
i miss the days when ogn had a deal with one of the kpop studios and would play kpop music videos in between games

• Locked thread