Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Silver Falcon posted:

You can't tell me what to do. You're not my mom. :colbert: Zelda is good and BotW is good.

Only "good"?

Why do you hate BotW?

Why did you just give it a 6/10, a failing grade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Cactus posted:

The bit I bolded was why I brought up the Witcher 3 even though this is a switch thread. The existence of that game shows that you can have a huge, expansive world and also have deep, engaging hand-written content for all of it. It kind of showed up all these other devs that have wrongly been saying for years "you can have one but only at the expense of the other".

True, what I said really applies to Bethesda in general because they figure their games are so big and they have such a strong mod community that it excuses half-assing everything else.

Open-world games outside Bethesda are becoming pretty solid otherwise.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Only "good"?

Why do you hate BotW?

Why did you just give it a 6/10, a failing grade?

That seems generous, I agree

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

wow is it time already to cycle back through the usual set of posts about botw for 5 pages

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HOW ABOUT THAT WEAPON DURABILITY HUH

Mega64
May 23, 2008

BotW is alright, but it's no ARMS.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
don't tell anyone I said this but I enjoyed the nintendo video game

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Augus posted:

wow is it time already to cycle back through the usual set of posts about botw for 5 pages

We could talk about XBC's portrayal of female characters and tits instead if you prefer

Mega64
May 23, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcARVtUmiu8

I really want to go back and try ARMS again one day.

Maybe not today, but one day.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Who was everyone's main in ARMS?

I liked Min-Min's mid-air kick and her Chakram fists managed to throw off my opponents a lot in the handful of matches I played with her, though I imagine it wouldn't work nearly as well now with the hardcore ARMS community.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Hammer Bro. posted:

I forget most of the names at this point, but there was no reason for red-haired chick to have so rapey an obsession with Dronya. Most of the other exaggerations get explained, like why the dopey sheep guy is so dopey or why the random villagers get so stabby, but I just didn't buy a shy girl with one friend turning into a sex-nun who won't take no for an answer.
Oh yeah, that part. I think the only explanation they offer is that Mary is shown in some flashbacks to have a thing for Dronya and be jealous of Isara. Nothing beyond that as far as I know, felt really pointless and tacked on to me.

Gripweed posted:

I think it's worth noting that the game is extremely not on Tora's side. The Heart to Hearts that touch on it are great, Brighid's voice actor is fantastic at doing an "I'm going to murder you" voice
Also amusing to the original conversation starter, Brighid's VA was one of Triss's various VAs from the Witcher series. There's actually a bunch of overlap between the two, like Dromarch is Vesamir and Jin is Dandelion for example.

Generally speaking there's a ton of good VA talent in XC2, unfortunately the voice/cutscene direction is pretty rough and a few important characters do a particularly bad job.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm reading up on ARMS lore up on the ARMS wiki right now, and it's interesting to see what built up to the current ARMS universe.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Your Computer posted:

don't tell anyone I said this but I enjoyed the nintendo video game

Same, but Skyrim, and it's going to be a must buy whenever I get a Switch. :colbert:

Ninja edit: :ssh:

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Mega64 posted:

I liked Min-Min's mid-air kick and her Chakram fists managed to throw off my opponents a lot in the handful of matches I played with her, though I imagine it wouldn't work nearly as well now with the hardcore ARMS community.

Master Mummy. Hes a giant mummy, had super armor and big fuckoff fists. Stagger a big fist with something faster and give em the ol' jab to haymaker all day.

ARMS wasnt perfect but it was dumb fun and id like to see what theyd do with an ARMS 2.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Oh yeah, that part. I think the only explanation they offer is that Mary is shown in some flashbacks to have a thing for Dronya and be jealous of Isara. Nothing beyond that as far as I know, felt really pointless and tacked on to me.

Also amusing to the original conversation starter, Brighid's VA was one of Triss's various VAs from the Witcher series. There's actually a bunch of overlap between the two, like Dromarch is Vesamir and Jin is Dandelion for example.

Generally speaking there's a ton of good VA talent in XC2, unfortunately the voice/cutscene direction is pretty rough and a few important characters do a particularly bad job.

I like Pyra's VA. Looked her up and was surprised to discover she's British.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

HOW ABOUT THAT WEAPON DURABILITY HUH

This is your last warning about deliberately attempting to discredit the Faith with your use of sarcasm. :colbert:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What exactly (this is my first Pokemon) were random encounters in the past? Because, as it is now, I feel like I have to play a stealth/nimble path game just to avoid having some Pidgey or eager battler lock me into something every 10 feet. I can't imagine what random battles made it like...

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Cactus posted:

I like Pyra's VA. Looked her up and was surprised to discover she's British.

Almost all the cast are, I believe.

Feenix posted:

What exactly (this is my first Pokemon) were random encounters in the past? Because, as it is now, I feel like I have to play a stealth/nimble path game just to avoid having some Pidgey or eager battler lock me into something every 10 feet. I can't imagine what random battles made it like...

They just happened when you walked around in the grass and you couldn't tell what would show up. Then you fought them the same way you do an enemy trainer (except also using pokeballs.)

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Hammer Bro. posted:

Did you do the postgame content?

There was a bit of mechanical BS I put up with that was rather frustrating, but I did want me All The Story.

And for the most part the more I got, the better it became. Almost all the warts were retroactively polished away and made sense of. Except the one thing.

Yeah, the ending after the postgame credits was just kind of... bizarre. I did like the story, it just gets pretty wild after a certain point. Not like, drakengard insane but it'll make a pretty good LP one day.

It was a bit more grindy than I would've liked due to the soul clarity system but it was pretty fast to grind after 666 pacts and the gold slimes. Surprisingly I had a lot less problems dealing with bosses with like, quadruple the stats.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 19, 2018

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Mega64 posted:

Mechanica. Her robot shell meant she could take a punch or two without flinching, and her tri-punch barrage would pound the opposition to submission.

Also ARMS is activating again this weekend.

https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1064564359450357760

CynicalThundercunt
Nov 19, 2018
I hate my Switch. I love the console at its core and how much potential it had but bar BoTW, Mario Odyssey it has no big great games (even Mario Odyssey is questionable though) and it's already got a pretty good emulator.

It's a sad feeling it's like looking at that one crackhead heroin junkie who had straight A grades back in school but fell into an intense depression that ruined her life.

Definitely picking up smash for my boy Kirby though

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I thought today was the day Warframe came out. Says 19th Nov on my store page.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

CynicalThundercunt posted:

I hate my Switch. I love the console at its core and how much potential it had but bar BoTW, Mario Odyssey it has no big great games (even Mario Odyssey is questionable though) and it's already got a pretty good emulator.

It's a sad feeling it's like looking at that one crackhead heroin junkie who had straight A grades back in school but fell into an intense depression that ruined her life.

Boo this man

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

If you've never played Diablo 3 since the PC launch like me, you should remedy that. So good!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

Almost all the cast are, I believe.

They just happened when you walked around in the grass and you couldn't tell what would show up. Then you fought them the same way you do an enemy trainer (except also using pokeballs.)

You forget that in caves every tile could cause a battle. Going through Moon Mt, where most enemies were bats that would just confuse the poo poo out of you, an uncurable status, or untouchable rocks, unless you have that 1 trick Rock pokèmon hate, was a special hell unto itself.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Gripweed posted:

I think it's worth noting that the game is extremely not on Tora's side. The Heart to Hearts that touch on it are great, Brighid's voice actor is fantastic at doing an "I'm going to murder you" voice

I loved it. Bravely Default was the same way with Edea not putting up with Yulyana's or Ringabel's bullshit.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Gad drat

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Lola Pop and Twintelle were great for stalling and charging up freeze moves. Those numbchucks for Lola Pop were nuts.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ragequit posted:

I loved it. Bravely Default was the same way with Edea not putting up with Yulyana's or Ringabel's bullshit.

I feel like that doesn't really excuse it. That poo poo was my one complaint about Bravely, and instead of having the character not putting up with it perhaps just... not have that stuff in your game in the first place??

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You forget that in caves every tile could cause a battle. Going through Moon Mt, where most enemies were bats that would just confuse the poo poo out of you, an uncurable status, or untouchable rocks, unless you have that 1 trick Rock pokèmon hate, was a special hell unto itself.

zubats are weak and confusion is easily cured by switching out or running away and if you got past brock you should have at least one of many moves that's effective on rock types

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Your Computer posted:

Diablo 3 is still a lot of fun but it has some annoying stuff. :( A bunch of these maps just suck real bad (basically everything from the end of the campaign) and some of the maps are just too darn big. Running around for 15 minutes trying to find the objective with no indication of where it is or which direction isn't fun. Also stop sending me to these barracks, that has to be the most infuriating map of them all! And what's with the action priority? If I'm doing a cursed chest event I basically cannot use my basic attack because my character will rather inspect the chest and go "I can't open that" than attack :arghfist:

I also really wish they'd add some options to turn down the positional audio and rumble because those are both really uncomfortable in handheld mode.

Do yourself a favor, if you have any buff spells bind those to A so that you're not at the mercy of whatever loot that's dropped recently. I really wish I could bind spells to L3/R3, but in lieu of that, only hitting A to buff once every 10 minutes sort of works in the meantime.

Also for most things, at a certain point (I'm not sure if it's time- or %-of-map based), objective arrows tend to start showing up on the minimap to be like "hey dude over this way"

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Your Computer posted:

I feel like that doesn't really excuse it. That poo poo was my one complaint about Bravely, and instead of having the character not putting up with it perhaps just... not have that stuff in your game in the first place??

Imagine a society where the incorrigible pervert is such a constant archetype that it's in absolutely everything you make

It's like, how in american rpgs there's always a school shooter

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

There haven't really been any good game releases in months, on any console.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Takoluka posted:

There haven't really been any good game releases in months, on any console.

speak for yourself, the past few months i've gotten spiderman and dragon quest and soulcalibur and had a blast with all 3

switch has been in kind of a lull but it's just gathering power to be ready for smash

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Diablo is fun but it would be better if it have gyro controls

Ageofbob
Sep 16, 2011
Is there any advantage to getting the new Smash physically? Or am I fine just getting it digital?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

After having it for a while, I started LEGO City Undercover .

It's nice to have a cheeseball game like this to unwind with at the end of the day.
It's pretty funny and the only major flaw I've seen is the initial load time.
The first time I think it was around three minutes. Faster after that but WOW.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ageofbob posted:

Is there any advantage to getting the new Smash physically? Or am I fine just getting it digital?

you could potentially get it a few hours/a day or two early if you find a local place selling it before it hits the eshop

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

After having it for a while, I started LEGO City Undercover .

It's nice to have a cheeseball game like this to unwind with at the end of the day.
It's pretty funny and the only major flaw I've seen is the initial load time.
The first time I think it was around three minutes. Faster after that but WOW.

This is how I feel every time I go into the e-store and have to watch the orange stairs go back and forth across the screen for a couple of aeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ageofbob posted:

You could sell it later but why would you ever?

I'm not being a dweeb here. Unless you've never played or seen Smash and this is your first foray, you should know what you're buying and if you would like it.

I get why some people don't dig Zelda or Mario but if you like party games even a little bit, Smash should never leave your system.