Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mahoning posted:

That's not really fair considering Star Wars was a product of its time. It changed the landscape to pave the way for poo poo like what Marvel is doing right now.

And when people say something is "this generation's Star Wars" they may be talking in terms of quality of a fun summer blockbuster, not a franchise that will forever redefine cinema. I mean, I could see GotG lasting with kids who see it today in the same way that Star Wars has lasted with so many adults who saw it as children.

It is laying the groundwork for interconnected franchises (though there was stuff like AvP before them), but I don't see any other companies other than Warner/DC following their lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

computer parts posted:

It is laying the groundwork for interconnected franchises (though there was stuff like AvP before them), but I don't see any other companies other than Warner/DC following their lead.

I wonder if we'll see that concept taking off in other mediums instead, like books or television shows (there was Buffy and Angel, or DS9 and Voyager, and I think some of the Stargate shows ran concurrently).

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Lord Krangdar posted:

I wonder if we'll see that concept taking off in other mediums instead, like books or television shows (there was Buffy and Angel, or DS9 and Voyager, and I think some of the Stargate shows ran concurrently).
DC will have Arrow and The Flash on the CW starting in the fall.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Lord Krangdar posted:

Technically it's already a thing.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

That's not even complete, unless I missed where Homicide crosses over with The Wire (John Munch is hanging out in a bar in one episode).

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Electromax posted:

Wouldn't it be more like the entire Marvel franchise is this generation's Star Wars? GotG alone doesn't seem like the lasting iconic behemoth that A New Hope was. Hard to say how it would've done coming out cold with no brand associated, I guess. But Star Wars truly was unlike anything people had ever seen. GotG is just another well made comic movie in space.

I don't think any of the Marvel franchises, or the entirety of them, really stand out even remotely compared to a franchise like Star Wars. All of it just feels very same-y and not in a consistent universe way. They're all very enjoyable, yet entirely forgettable movies.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Neo Rasa posted:

Hey that's just like, your opinion man.

Let me tell you somethin', e chu ta. You pull any of that jedi poo poo with us, pull out a lightsaber in the bar... I'll take it away from you and stick it up your rear end and press the button 'til it goes *click*.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Star Wars themed park is under development at Disney. Plans for it will be revealed next year so it probably won't really be done til like 2016~17, no wonder they want to drop these movies out ASAP though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The reports I read said new Star Wars attractions at the existing parks, not a whole new park.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Harry Potter has his own loving park. Why can't Luke?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jose Oquendo posted:

They probably want to save that for if/when the young lead character is actually popular (so they don't repeat Tron: Legacy again).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

computer parts posted:

They probably want to save that for if/when the young lead character is actually popular (so they don't repeat Tron: Legacy again).

Aye, they probably want these movies out ASAP so they have stuff to base new things on.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jose Oquendo posted:

Are you talking about in Orlando? Wizarding World of Harry Potter and now Diagon Alley? Because those just two areas, one in Universal Studios, one in Islands of Adventure. They're not their own theme parks or anything.

Is there somewhere Harry Potter has it's own theme park?

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Diabolik900 posted:

The reports I read said new Star Wars attractions at the existing parks, not a whole new park.

To be fair all they need to do is put one X-wing or TIE-Fighter simulator on hydraulics and the waiting line for one attraction will start in Kansas.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

It feels like a Star Wars park/land at Disney World needs to happen. I expected an official announcement on it not long after they got the rights, then they came out and announced they were building an Avatar land or something. Like, Avatar was successful, but an Avatar park seems like way more an bizarre investment than Star Wars. I'm pretty sure old-rear end Star Tours is still one of the main draws keeping Hollywood Studios/MGM open (behind Tower of Terror and Aerosmith)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Are you talking about in Orlando? Wizarding World of Harry Potter and now Diagon Alley? Because those just two areas, one in Universal Studios, one in Islands of Adventure. They're not their own theme parks or anything.

Is there somewhere Harry Potter has it's own theme park?

I thought that the Harry Potter areas were sort of like a Universal equivalent to Epcot or MGM. A separate area but still part of the main park.

Regardless, a big-rear end Star Wars area needs to go up pronto.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'd love to get drunk at a recreation of the Mos Eisely Cantina.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

That is absolutely at the top of the list for attractions at whatever Star Wars stuff they build.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I thought that the Harry Potter areas were sort of like a Universal equivalent to Epcot or MGM. A separate area but still part of the main park.

No, Wizarding World of Harry Potter is more equivalent to something like Tomorrowland. It's just one section of Islands of Adventure. Diagon Alley wasn't open yet when I was last there, but I believe it's the same.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I just looked on Wikipedia - I had no idea they closed the original Star Tours ride. I'm glad I got to go on it in... '92?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Red posted:

I just looked on Wikipedia - I had no idea they closed the original Star Tours ride. I'm glad I got to go on it in... '92?

It's still in Disneyland Paris as of a few months ago. It has not aged so great

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Detective No. 27 posted:

Especially if they have someone in a Greedo suit walking around and harassing people.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Fish Of Doom posted:

Especially if they have someone in a Greedo suit walking around and harassing people.

But you'll never be allowed to shoot him first!

It's a Disney park, after all.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Thwomp posted:

But you'll never be allowed to shoot him first!

It's a Disney park, after all.

He'll take way your drink, down it then belch "Greedo shot first."

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

That is absolutely at the top of the list for attractions at whatever Star Wars stuff they build.

Whatever fits inside a 1:1 scale ISD.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Fish Of Doom posted:

This could end hilariously badly for whoever is in the Greedo suit if they're serving alcohol. Imagine getting the poo poo beat out of you while you're wearing a mask and full costume.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Space Jam posted:

This could end hilariously badly for whoever is in the Greedo suit if they're serving alcohol. Imagine getting the poo poo beat out of you while you're wearing a mask and full costume.

I'd be more worried about getting shot.

First. :colbert:

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005
Battle of Hoth flight simulator in a snow speeder. Please.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Detective No. 27 posted:

You just know it would always be full and you'd have to go to loving Dex's Diner or some bullshit instead.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Since we're fantasizing, Lawrence Holland makes an X-wing sequel that supports next gen VR stuff like the Oculus Rift.

...Then I forget to leave the house for food or get up to go to the bathroom, and the neighbors find me mummified in the office chair a month later because of the rotting smell.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'd go to Epcot for this.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
That's something they should put in California Adventure since you can already just walk around that place drinking beer.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Disney Hollywood Studios in Orlando does still have Star Tours. I went there in November. It was p. cool still. But yeah, we absolutely need all of the following, post haste: X-Wing/Millennium Falcon/Snow/Sand speeder/AT-AT rides, a Mos Eisley Cantina, a place like Ollivander's from Harry Potter but for light sabers, an Endor tree house playground for kids, a Naboo under water ride, Darth Maul face painters...

Okay, stopping now. :allears: :goonsay:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Reinanigans posted:

a place like Ollivander's from Harry Potter but for light sabers

They kinda have this in the excellent Star Tours gift shop. There's always a huge line of kids waiting to make their own lightsabers. The Star Tours ride itself has been excellent ever since they revamped it at WDW a few years ago.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Madurai posted:

Whatever fits inside a 1:1 scale ISD.

Just had an idea for the most amazing blimp of all time.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Sit around the fire, kids, and let me tell you the story of Star War: The Backstroke of the West, a tale of love, loss, betrayal, and why it's a very bad idea to use machine translations as is without a bilingual editor.

This is a "greatest hits" comparison of the infamous translation trainwreck (using the original blogpost that had made it memetic as a guide--the images are unfortunately broken on the newer version) with the actual English script, plus my commentary on what may have went wrong based on my own knowledge of Chinese. I can also attempt answer any questions you may have about the other subtitles, but since I can't find the Chinese script from which these subtitles were made, I can only offer you my best guess based on my own knowledge of Chinese.

George Lucas posted:

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Backstroke of the West posted:

Long time ago, in the faraway galaxy

Chinese doesn't have an equivalent to "the" (only "this" or "that") or "a/an" (the closest is "one"), so the recursive translator made their best attempt at it and failed.

George Lucas posted:

Star Wars

Star war

Chinese doesn't convey plural nouns in an elegant manner, and without context the recursive translator guessed incorrectly; they also didn't know about capitalization rules for proper nouns.

George Lucas posted:

Episode III
Revenge of the Sith

The third gathers
The backstroke of the west

And here we go with the guessing game that's going to make my head hurt. "The third gathers"? What sort of nonsense is this? Well, if the original was 第三集 ("the third part/collection"), then the recursive translation makes sense, as the recursive translator confused a noun with a verb. (While Chinese does have characters which are used to indicate conversions between parts of speech, nouns and verbs are pretty much used interchangeably.)

A similar thing happened when attempting to translate the title. Sith was transliterated to 西斯, choosing two words that sounded like "Sith" to Chinese ears. The first syllable, 西, happens to mean "West". "反击" is a rather poor translation of "revenge" (it actually means something more along the lines of "counterattack" or "counterstrike"); when translating back to English, the word was incorrectly parsed such that the two characters were translated separately and literally, hence "backstroke".

George Lucas posted:

ANAKIN: This is where the fun begins.

Game time started

This one's actually not bad! An A for effort. :unsmith:

George Lucas posted:

OBI-WAN: Let them pass between us.

Our dichotomy opens the combat.

More noun-verb confusion. Hell if I know what "dichotomy" was originally, though.

George Lucas posted:

DOOMED REDSHIRT: They're all over me!

They're in my behind!

Whoops! This is what happens when you try to translate a language without taking into consideration the grammatical differences. In Chinese, this makes perfect sense: "他们在我的后面" - "They're [right] behind me!" but 在 gets mistranslated as "in" (parts of speech confusion again, here with a preposition being used as a verb), 我的 becomes "my" (technically correct, the worst kind of correct), and hilarity ensues.

George Lucas posted:

OBI-WAN: All right, R4. No, no.
Nothing too fancy.

Like, reach the man,Good good good
let us counter-attacking

I'm not 100% sure this is the right line, but based on timestamps and the line that follows it looks the closest (could anyone who's actually seen the movie in English give me a hand?). Again, since I don't have the original to reference (the official DVDs have this line translated correctly), I have no idea how this happened. I'm guessing because the dialogue was too fast-paced, even the Chinese translator was confused, which of course then further confused the recursive translator.

George Lucas posted:

OBI-WAN (OVER COMM LINK): R2, can you hear me?

R2, do you is loving

(Again, I'm not 100% sure this is the right line.)

This one's the result of the recursive translator being too clever for his own good. The original translation was (probably) something along the lines of "R2, what are you doing?", but in Chinese, the word for "do" also has that fun double-entendre to mean the other kind of doing, so it's often used in that context as "gently caress".

George Lucas posted:

PALPATINE: Get help. You're no match for him.
He's a Sith lord.

You two careful, he is a big

I have no idea how "Sith lord" became "big".

George Lucas posted:

OBI-WAN: Chancellor Palpatine,
Sith lords are our specialty.

Mr. speaker, we are for the big

This one's probably on the Chinese version (and using the first entry in a phrase dictionary), though "Speaker" also works, I guess since he's the head of the Senate. I can't be sure what the rest of the sentence was originally, but the intent is likely "we are here precisely for this reason".

George Lucas posted:

DOOKU: You have anger.
But you don't use them.

You are a sacrifice article
that I cut up rough now

Again, I blame this one on the Chinese version. The two pieces of dialogue are nothing alike!

George Lucas posted:

PALPATINE: He seems to be all right.

He big in nothing
important in good elephant

Ah, the first appearance of the infamous Good Elephant, another instance of incorrectly parsing a word. What it should be is 好象, "like" or "seems", but the two characters were translated separately and literally (as 象 can also mean "elephant", though in this context it means "likeness"; I believe the word for the animal came first, and then the same character was used for the abstract idea of "shaped like itself").

Ironically, this Good Elephant is actually instrumental in me parsing what the sentence is trying to get across; because that's there, I can sort of guess that the original Chinese ran something along the lines of "He seems to not have any major injuries."

George Lucas posted:

MOOK DROID: General, we found the Jedi.
They're in hallway 328.

Superior, they have escaped
a day after the fair

Another one I blame on the original Chinese, because otherwise I don't see how you could somehow come up with pretty much the opposite sentiment.

George Lucas posted:

GRIEVOUS: Activate ray shields.

I should really feeds you all dog

Whee! More made up dialogue! And more mistranslations based on bad grammar, as it should be "I should really feed you all [to the] dogs!"

George Lucas posted:

ANAKIN: General Grievous.
You're shorter than I expected.

Space general, you and not
equal to I think severe

More grammar problems. I'm guessing that the original was "You are not as strong as I thought."

George Lucas posted:

GRIEVOUS: Jedi scum.

Smelly boy

This is actually 100% accurate...to the original Chinese script, that is. Many translators tend to render insults "politely" than they were originally worded (which is why I find the mistranslation of "do" into "gently caress" especially hilarious), so poor Grievous ends up sounding childish.

George Lucas posted:

PILOT: Sir, we are falling out of orbit. All aft control cells are dead.

Giving first aid the already
disheveled hair projection

Here's another line I had a hell of a time figuring out what it's supposed to be, so I made a best guess.

George Lucas posted:

OBI-WAN: Landing strip, straight ahead.

The front is a lemon avenue
flying straightly

Don't ask me how "landing strip" became "lemon avenue". :iiam: (I'm guessing some sort of slang may have been involved.)

As for "flying straightly", that's the result of literally translating a grammatical construction. (It should be, of course, "fly straight [ahead]".)

George Lucas posted:

PADME: I can go early and fix up
the baby's room.

I can breakfast for the new
house that baby tidy up it

First, I think "early" got misinterpreted as "breakfast" by recursive translator (as both are rendered as 早点); the rest is the usual litany of grammatical mistakes.

George Lucas posted:

ANAKIN: You die in childbirth.

You died at the time
of livinging the child

More noun-verb confusion.

George Lucas posted:

PADME: And the baby?

Is that baby on the hoof?

Wrong idiomatic expression, translator! "On the hoof" is used to refer to cattle, not babies.

George Lucas posted:

Our baby is a blessing.

Our baby blesses god'sly

Combination typo/mis-translation? :iiam:

George Lucas posted:

YODA: Premonitions . . . premonitions . . .

Pregnancy?Pregnancy

I'm guessing that, since the happy couple discussed asking other people for advice in the previous scene, the Chinese translator misunderstood this scene and thought that Yoda was being told directly about what's going on, because I don't see how it's possible to recursively translate "premonition" into "pregnancy".

George Lucas posted:

The fear of loss is a path
to the dark side.

Worry to lose
is to lead to the evil augury

Ironically, the recursive translation almost sounds more like something Yoda might say, since he usually uses Object-Subject-Verb word order (and Chinese does as well).

As for "augury", I'm guessing this is a bad translation of "sign" or, again, "premonition".

George Lucas posted:

I won't let these visions come true,
Master Yoda.

Backstroke to the West posted:

I hope that these dreamses
really can't become

This one I gotta rag on the recursive translator a little. "Dreamses"? Really? You couldn't go look that up in a grammar book? (The rest is just the usual mangling of grammar.)

Skipping over the "troopseses" (:argh:) and "gently caress" screencaps, since I've already covered what's wrong with them.

George Lucas posted:

PALPATINE: he could use the Force to influence
the midi-chlorians...
to create... life.

He even can use the original
dint to create life

Close, but no cigar. "Dint" is a mistranslation of "Force".

George Lucas posted:

He became so powerful...

He become more and
more strong and big

Bad word parsing again, probably. 强大 means "powerful", or, I guess, "strong and big" if you take the two characters literally.

George Lucas posted:

the only thing he was afraid of was...
...losing his power.

Lost his power afterwards
afterwards he died

:iiam:

George Lucas posted:

Then his apprentice killed him
in his sleep.

Then his land killed him
to let him going to bed

It's a bit of a mystery as to how "apprentice" became "land", but the rest is mostly grammar issues ("killed him in his bed" is what the recursive translator's probably going for).

George Lucas posted:

ANAKIN: [Obi-Wan and] the council
don't trust me.

I was just made by the
Presbyterian Church

Okay, this one's a pretty funny recursive translation. What happened was that Jedi Council got translated to "Council of Elders", which, of course, the Presbyterian Church is (as it is ruled by a council of presbyters, i.e. elders).

Fun fact: The "made by" part confused me the first time I saw it, but now in context with the English script, that actually makes sense. ("Made by" as in "they have me figured out", not "I'm now a member of their mafia group".)

George Lucas posted:

ANAKIN: Obi-Wan, may the Force be with you.

ratio tile, the wish power
are together with you

"Ratio tile" is a literal translation of the characters used to transliterate "Obi Wan".

"Wish power" is a pretty apt recursive translation of the Force.

quote:

TLON MEDON: Tenth level,
thousands of battle droids.

Only have a little bit
the immodesty we all lose

:iiam:

George Lucas posted:

OBI-WAN: Hello there!

Everybody is good

Ironically, this would've been a perfectly functional sentence if only the recursive translator dropped the "is", as "Everybody good?" would be perfectly in character snark for Obi-Wan to say. Alas, he translated an idiomatic phrase literally.

George Lucas posted:

GRIEVOUS: I will deal with this Jedi slime myself.

Let old man come to
dealt with this hopeless

So close to being a coherent sentence, but not on purpose at all. "Old man" is an idiomatic expression that's roughly equivalent to "yours truly" (except a lot more arrogant sounding), and "hopeless" is a literal translation of the transliteration for Jedi, 绝地, which translates approximately to "hopeless situation" or "quagmire" (gasp! Accidental political subtext!).

...all right, I'm going to need to take a break here because I'm really starting to get a headache. More later, maybe.

(Aside: I wonder what you brilliant folks in CineD would make of the new dialogue. Can we still construct a coherent narrative out of this? Or has it been hopelessly muddled by the Good Elephants?)

dotchan fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 8, 2014

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Wow, that was boring as hell mate

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

How the possibly nerd-enraging news that Leeland Yee (Keeper of The Holocron) just tweeted that the Star Wars universe calender is getting rearranged around Episode 1?

He says they are still going to use the Before/After Battle of Yavin calender, though. It's the Julian/Gregorian thing all over again.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Wow, that was boring as hell mate

I thought it was fun. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Red posted:

Wait, really? I just rode it in Disney World in January. They just updated the whole ride like 2-3 years ago.

edit: didn't read

Mandrel fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 8, 2014

• Locked thread