Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phonics
Apr 6, 2009

by XyloJW
Holy loving poo poo.

The secret area with the beach under Blight Town.I have never been so afraid of a video game in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Phonics posted:

Holy loving poo poo.

The secret area with the beach under Blight Town.I have never been so afraid of a video game in my life.

It's honestly a really incredible place. I wish it was bigger. I hope you also enjoy the other secret dungeon!

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

What do you mean it's not done!?

Hell Diver posted:

Anyone have any advice for Nito. I'm standing outside his fog gate and I really don't want to go in without at least some knowledge. It's a pain in the rear end slog to get back here.

e: . . . Sealed by the Great Lord's power? What. the. gently caress.

There are 3 small skeletons and 3 big ones, kill those first with holy/divine weapons. Then you've pretty much beat the boss, just watch out for his shockwave

Oh yeah, you need to clear Anor Lando first.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ramagamma posted:

Despised this game after the first 2 hours and considered trading it in for the new Batman game in a few weeks. Changed my mind drastically after a few hours learning the mechanics. It is really satisfying when you overcome an enemy or monster that was giving you grief before. Then you meet a bigger badder one who makes you feel the same way. Rinse, repeat.

Have to say though, the game is pretty horrible at describing the mechanics and the items and things like random ghosts running through your world. Feels very much like Otogi (another FROM SOFTWARE) game in that regard. Actually reminds me quite a bit of Otogi now I mention it. Combat being very reliant on positioning and physicallity, lot of numbers going on in the background, abstract names for items with unclear descriptions.

Also got a few laughs from my mates demonstrating how poorly a heavily armoured knight is at rolling on the ground which is always a bonus.

It seems like the game assumes you've played Demon's Souls before this one - a lot of that stuff is explained better in that game, whereas in Dark Souls you're just kind of thrown into the thick of it with an extremely brief tutorial.

Even then, they seem to assume players will figure things out themselves, or at least don't like explaining things very much. I do like that it leaves it up to me to discover things rather than excessively holding my hand like most other games, but there are a few bits I wish they would explain more clearly, like telling you what you actually get from joining particular covenants (even AFTER you've joined they don't tell you. You just have to keep giving them stuff until they give you something new). Some better descriptions on certain stats would help as well; what's the deal with the black and white circles next to bleed and poison effects on weapons? The explanation you get from select just says they're "occult/divine effects", with nothing about what that actually does.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I'm surprised I'm not hearing more hate for The Depths here. Hell I don't even know if I'm actually in there yet, I don't recall seeing it say "The Depths" anywhere. All I know is that I Killed some Butcher looking guy and some dogs and a bunch of ghouls, then I fell down on accident and sniped a huge rat. Then I killed some rats and saw some laser wizard or something, and ran away and fell down again and killed a dozen giant eye frogs that burped fog at me. I killed them before I could find out what it did, though.

At that point I decided I was far too lost to continue and had 3k souls so I used a homeward bone to return to Firelink and took a break.

Seriously though that area is a maze and I don't like it. I'll have to turn up the gamma, I guess.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Amdis posted:

Welp, left my xbox running at the undead merchant in the burg and my roommate walked in and hit him causing him to go hostile. Where else can I go to get a bow and arrows for the drake sword? :(

Well the undead archers sometimes drop bows, but arrows... I'm not sure. You may be out of luck, I can't think of any arrow merchants in the near future of your character...

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Edge Zero posted:

I'm surprised I'm not hearing more hate for The Depths here. Hell I don't even know if I'm actually in there yet, I don't recall seeing it say "The Depths" anywhere. All I know is that I Killed some Butcher looking guy and some dogs and a bunch of ghouls, then I fell down on accident and sniped a huge rat. Then I killed some rats and saw some laser wizard or something, and ran away and fell down again and killed a dozen giant eye frogs that burped fog at me. I killed them before I could find out what it did, though.

At that point I decided I was far too lost to continue and had 3k souls so I used a homeward bone to return to Firelink and took a break.

Seriously though that area is a maze and I don't like it. I'll have to turn up the gamma, I guess.

It feels like a maze at first but it's a lot more straightforward once you get used to the layout. There's really only moving forwards and backwards, with the odd side room along the way.

Also the frogs do curse. You don't want to get that.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It feels like a maze at first but it's a lot more straightforward once you get used to the layout. There's really only moving forwards and backwards, with the odd side room along the way.

Also the frogs do curse. You don't want to get that.

With regards to curse, does that mean you can fight the ghosts in New Londo ruins without having to buy a bunch of those hands? They're mighty expensive from the undead vendor lady. Is it very difficult to get rid of curse? How does it affect you?

Basically, I'm considering getting cursed on purpose for the New Londo Ruins, because I can't actually do anything there without it.

Little handy Blighttown tip

Even though this is really obvious, I didn't think of it at first and suspect others haven't, either. Plan your movement between two poison-free islands, then sprint jump towards it, you will also roll and get a really decent distance across before having to run the last bit slowly. I even sometimes continue to roll until I make it across, but I'm not 100% sure the subsequent rolls are actually faster.

Using this method, I spent a good 30 minutes in Blighttown and only used 2 purple mosses. Bear in mind I have the spider shield and black leather armour.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Phonics posted:

Holy loving poo poo.

I'm actually at the bottom of Blight Town now. How do I get there?

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

So I joined the forest hunters, found the ninja guy in blighttown, started to fight him and promptly hosed up and died to poison and backstabs like a loving moron. Since I got kicked out the covenant right then I just went and sold the ring to Frampt. gently caress you Alvina.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Gazmachine posted:

With regards to curse, does that mean you can fight the ghosts in New Londo ruins without having to buy a bunch of those hands? They're mighty expensive from the undead vendor lady. Is it very difficult to get rid of curse? How does it affect you?

Basically, I'm considering getting cursed on purpose for the New Londo Ruins, because I can't actually do anything there without it.

Little handy Blighttown tip

Even though this is really obvious, I didn't think of it at first and suspect others haven't, either. Plan your movement between two poison-free islands, then sprint jump towards it, you will also roll and get a really decent distance across before having to run the last bit slowly. I even sometimes continue to roll until I make it across, but I'm not 100% sure the subsequent rolls are actually faster.

Using this method, I spent a good 30 minutes in Blighttown and only used 2 purple mosses. Bear in mind I have the spider shield and black leather armour.

... or you just go back to the Asylum with the 2F key and get the Rusty Iron Ring and you can run full speed through the much like it ain't no thang. :smug:

And yeah, if you're cursed you can kill ghosts. Its probably smarter to just get a cursed weapon, though.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 10, 2011

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Brackhar posted:

I'm actually at the bottom of Blight Town now. How do I get there?

Here's the directions In Blighttown you probably noticed a tremendous tree surrounded by leeches. Go up the root sticking into the mud. Inside the tree should be a corpse with a plank shield. Hit one of the wall and it will reveal a passageway with a chest. Hit the wall behind the chest and you'll enter The Great Hollow. Reach the bottom and you'll arrive. Be careful though! it's pretty dangerous in there

the problem is that if you aren't cursed yourself the attacks of the ghosts are unblockable, and blocking when you're in the tight corridors later in the level is pretty important.

Phonics
Apr 6, 2009

by XyloJW
Just managed to get my first taste of PvP. Invaded some poor bastard touched my dragon eye sign in Blight Town and got murdered. Also the invisibility ring is game breaking. It should be a usable item that lasts for 20 secs when activated and then is on cooldown for a minute. Permanent stealth is just stupid.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Fuzz posted:

... or you just go back to the Asylum with the 2F key and get the Rusty Iron Ring and you can run full speed through the much like it ain't no thang. :smug:

And yeah, if you're cursed you can kill ghosts. Its probably smarter to just get a cursed weapon, though.

How do you use the crow to get back to the asylum anyway? I can't interact with him at all at FIrelink. Do I need to finish Sen's Fortress first?

Also, who is this human being that attacked me down in New Londo Ruins in the area with all the undead that are just chlling? Some dude with a sword and shield that I haven't seen before ever. I just came up from Blighttown.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Foxhound posted:

Also, who is this human being that attacked me down in New Londo Ruins in the area with all the undead that are just chlling? Some dude with a sword and shield that I haven't seen before ever. I just came up from Blighttown.

Check firelink shrine. who's missing that's usually near the bonfire?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Foxhound posted:

How do you use the crow to get back to the asylum anyway? I can't interact with him at all at FIrelink. Do I need to finish Sen's Fortress first?

Jump off the Parish elevator onto the little roof, then roll off the green hillside on the right onto the buttress, then run up from there to the Crow's nest and follow the prompt. You'll have to do it twice since the key is up on the roof of that building.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Foxhound posted:

It's that chuckling a-hole from Firelink Shrine. I got some dialogue from him after the second bell where he said about it's time he "did something about the stench" or something. Didn't quite follow his meaning, but then he'd gone and I found his rear end ready to (attempt to) smack me up. OH WHAT PARRY RIPOSTE BITCH THANK YOU PLEASE BE SEATED.

Also, everytime I go into The Catacombs, I keep toying with the idea of killing "Trusty Patches". Now he has been an obvious dick by trapping me in the cave after I walk across that bridge, but Lautrec speaks ill of him, which made me hesitate because, bad guy slagging off another guy made me think "maybe it's a red herring and he's useful later".

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Gazmachine posted:

It's that chuckling a-hole from Firelink Shrine. I got some dialogue from him after the second bell where he said about it's time he "did something about the stench" or something. Didn't quite follow his meaning, but then he'd gone and I found his rear end ready to (attempt to) smack me up. OH WHAT PARRY RIPOSTE BITCH THANK YOU PLEASE BE SEATED.

gently caress, yeah you're right he said that to me too. I thought he was gonna kill the butt-ugly pool-lizard-whatever that appeared. Because I certainly don't smell. :colbert:

Thanks to the posters above the one I quoted too, I'll keep an eye out next time I ride up the elevator.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

See this is what I love about the stroytelling in this game - there's clearly a motive behind him trying to kill you once he realised that you're getting quite far in the world, but we're not sure what it is. I love all that in these games. Demon's Souls had some but this has it in droves.

Literally everything about this game is brilliant. No, literally everything, even the slight drop in frame rate in Blighttown.

My favourite moment so far in this game is where I went for a piss with one hand on the controller holding L1, just in case.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
What I really like about this game is that when I die, instead of being pissed off at an enemy or the game itself and bitching that way, I get mad at myself. Instead of going "oh that cheap son of a bitch" or "this level is poo poo" I go "god drat why did I have to get greedy and try to rush through" or "why did I have to gently caress up my timing that badly".

Even in boss fights where I end up getting cornered, it's my own fault, not the game being a shitlord for not letting me roll through an enemy. I shouldn't have been in the situation.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Oh man, today I had some more fun-times with helping people fight through the Depths. Two successful runs, two abject failures, and two incidents of joining a player who was getting invaded.

In the first failure, the dude gets himself killed by rats who were buffed up by the necromancer dude.

In the second failure, the summoner lets me tank everything, doesn't use his goddamn flask to heal me, then falls down a loving hole. Yes, down one of those holes with the fun status effect at the bottom. I follow down just cause I know the fall damage will kill me and I want to watch him die.

In the first invasion, I join and as I'm rising to my feet a black phantom clearly wearing the fog ring annihilates the poor summoner.

In the second invasion I'm already in when we get the warning, the summoner and I go back to back and the invader comes in where I'm facing and he's wielding what looks like a katana that's bright blue or has some bright blue flame on it or something. Needless to say I gave it a good go but I went down pretty fast.

I'm wondering what was up with the sword, it looked pretty dang cool.

Phonics
Apr 6, 2009

by XyloJW
Anyone here tried the Darkmoon Covenant? Can you invade players of any level through the book?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I have to say the depths are amazing. I was enjoying the game before but it was all a bit boring, I've ran through dark castles and seen dragons in Demon's souls and the level design wasn't that impressive. That all changed when I got eaten by a surprise sludge monster and then fell down a hole to find a scary arse frog with HUGE eyes

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Gazmachine posted:

Stuff

It's tempting, but don't kill the person you mentioned. Be kind and trusting towards him :)

Also I'm surprised Lautrec mention him. when does he do this?

vvvvvvv good luck with that. let me know how it goes, because I brute forced it two handing a tower shield.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
I hate those archer guys in Anor Londo, but I will have my revenge with the 50 arrows I just bought.

I better be able to snipe them :argh:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I'm wondering what was up with the sword, it looked pretty dang cool.

Fury sword. Made with a boss soul.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Am I just being an idiot or is there no shortcut back above ground from Blight Town? I guess I could go to the dragon place or try to kill some demons, but I'd like to get to the blacksmith now :(

E: VVV Thank you!

smuh fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 10, 2011

freeb0rn
Jan 22, 2005

smuh posted:

Am I just being an idiot or is there no shortcut back above ground from Blight Town? I guess I could go to the dragon place or try to kill some demons, but I'd like to get to the blacksmith now :(

Up the water wheel and to the right a bit there's a chest with a key to the New Londo Ruins. Get the key, go back to the water wheel area but this time go up all the ladders you can find (there's like 4) and then you get to a passage with 3 of the big cave troll/ogre things. Kill them, keep walking straight and you get to the valley of the drakes and there's a fork left and right. Go right a few steps and you'll see a plank, walk across the plank and turn left and straight into the tower that you now have the key for. Take the elevator and you're back at firelink shrine.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I can't "get" The Hollow. I keep falling off. This is worse than loving Blighttown. Do I have to go down this loving tree?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Fuzz posted:

Fury sword. Made with a boss soul.

So that's it? I like. Turned me inside out, now I want one. Good thing that's my next stop.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Tokubetsu posted:

I can't "get" The Hollow. I keep falling off. This is worse than loving Blighttown. Do I have to go down this loving tree?

That entire area is completely optional. You don't have to do it at all.
You still should, though. The deeper you go the cooler it gets.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Tokubetsu posted:

Yes if you want some stuff you can't get otherwise including the dragon covenant. There's a continuous path down if you don't want to make any jumps. It's a really rad looking area once you get out of the tree.

freeb0rn
Jan 22, 2005

deadtear posted:

Yes if you want some stuff you can't get otherwise including the dragon covenant. There's a continuous path down if you don't want to make any jumps. It's a really rad looking area once you get out of the tree.

The enemies down there are also hard as gently caress (although you can easily run away from most of them). There's also some crystal lizards scattered on various branches/platforms in the first big "tree", but I haven't been able to grab any of them yet.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Gazmachine posted:

Also, everytime I go into The Catacombs, I keep toying with the idea of killing "Trusty Patches". Now he has been an obvious dick by trapping me in the cave after I walk across that bridge, but Lautrec speaks ill of him, which made me hesitate because, bad guy slagging off another guy made me think "maybe it's a red herring and he's useful later".

I'm gonna guess Patches sells poo poo. He was in Demon's Souls too, and he was known for doing two things: firstly, several times, he trapped your rear end and laughed at you. But he also sold you a lot of poo poo in the Nexus. He sold a ton of healing items and was basically useful if you got over the fact that he tried to kill you indirectly multiple times.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

freeb0rn posted:

The enemies down there are also hard as gently caress (although you can easily run away from most of them). There's also some crystal lizards scattered on various branches/platforms in the first big "tree", but I haven't been able to grab any of them yet.

I tried to fight the you know what down there, and it did not go so well seeing as it hits at least twice as hard as the other one, and it repeatedly got 2 hits off and guardbroke me and would almost kill me. Luckily there's a bonfire right there for the desperate run, and on the way back it didn't aggro at all.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

KezzKezzan posted:

That entire area is completely optional. You don't have to do it at all.
You still should, though. The deeper you go the cooler it gets.

This score, that scale, holy poo poo. Crazy that this is optional.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
So how do you actually kindle bonfires?
In game it says you need a ritual, but I can't find out anywhere how you get this.
I have just got into the Undead Parish.

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

What does he actually sell this time around? I accidentally killed him because it was dark, I was on edge already and as soon as he came into view I just started wailing on him.

Edit: Post below, what do you mean by automatically? Like if you kindle one bonfire firelink will be kindled as well?

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

Mr Beens posted:

So how do you actually kindle bonfires?
In game it says you need a ritual, but I can't find out anywhere how you get this.
I have just got into the Undead Parish.
When in human form you can spend 1 humanity to kindle a bonfire once. Later on you get the ability to do it multiple times. Once a bonfire is kindled it permanently grants you an extra +5 estus flasks when you rest there.

Firelink is kindled automatically, you don't have to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
What's a good weapon to use for lightning? I wanted to use the zweihander initially but I'm not liking how slowly it swings.

• Locked thread