Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

VostokProgram posted:

should i watch this anime

littleorv posted:

Goat man orgy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

dis astranagant posted:

You should read this comic and forget any of the anime versions exist.

No, because the bloopers for the original anime are amazing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ok, yeah, you can remember those and the Hirasawa tracks

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Relin posted:

but why would they add a character so unimportant to the plot as a playable character? :smug:

Because that's kinda Musou's thing. The Dynasty Warriors games have basically everyone who had a name in Rot3K and several people who weren't even in the drat book, the Gundam games are full of deep cuts, ditto Hokuto Musou. If a Musou game doesn't let you play as every random rear end in a top hat who looks kinda cool, it might as well not be a Musou game.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Manga to anime adaptations in general suck rear end. Berserk moreso than usual, but they all suck in their own way.

Very, very rarely does an anime deliver the same level of quality a manga would, for a whole bunch of reasons, but for me the one I notice the most is pacing. The pacing of a comic book and the pacing of an cartoon are actually pretty different, comics can have small panels with lots of text followed by huge splash pages where the characters strike a dynamic pose, and the way that's paced is that the little panels are seen as being very small moments in time, only a beat or two, while the bigger ones are perceived as being more important, you're meant to linger on that splash page even though there's way less dialogue. But an anime would treat all panels as being equal in time and importance, and in fact would place dialogue as the king of determining pacing.

So, here's a sequence that's really quick to illustrate my point. There's minimal dialogue and a lot of action, and the pacing is really great.

The first panel is half a page and is used to establish everyone's relative position quickly, as it's the only one to have a background for the next couple pages. The other half of the page is one tall panel of Farnese frozen in place while several smaller panels beside hers show what's happening, with the implication being that everything is moving very fast.

This page is meant to be from Farnese's perspective; the first panel is when she sees a blur of motion, a whirling black cape, and the second, again a half page panel, is the moment in time she does see, that of her knights falling down in pieces while Guts is advancing towards her. It's larger so it has both the greatest impact and feels like the longest moment. The third panel is her face as she takes it all in, or rather doesn't as everything is all distorted to her mind. This is also a great example of how page breaks influence pacing, too, since everything that was setup on the first page is concluded on this page.

See how all the panels are different sizes and shapes to influence how you read this page? The top three are the setup leading to the big two panels in the middle, but then there's the smallest panel yet, a cutaway to a branch being thrown, leading to the next largest panel when it hits Guts arrow. Every panel of this page only highlights one action or emotion, so you only see the information you need and nothing else, so each panel is very quick and easy to read. This means that it's the size of each panel which determines how quickly you read the page and which parts you're meant to see as being more or less important.

A now we get another panel with a full background, which invites you to really examine it in detail. I like how it's only in the last panel that you get to see Serpico was there the whole time, and the next page after this he just flaps his hand a bit as the only indication that he's the one who threw the branch. Also notice how the rule of 180 is kept, so Farnese is always facing right and Guts is always facing left, so even with only white space as the background we still understand where they are relative to each other. The only time he looks right is to take out the knights rushing up behind him, and he barely glances that way before taking them out.

This same scene occurs in episode 2 of the anime, at the 7:30 mark, and lasts for 30 seconds. I couldn't find a decent clip of it on YouTube for the life of me, so I made my own. It was immediately blocked. So go look it up yourself.

Okay, got it? Good. So, ignoring the abysmal animation, weirdass sound design, complete lack of emotion and schizophrenic camera, how was the pacing?

Basically complete garbage, huh? There was that one moment after Guts slices up the dudes that was in slow motion in the anime, which shows that they have some understanding that moment should be highlighted, but everything else was glossed over. Except the last page, which they somehow made into one camera movement so it doesn't properly frame any one moment, just swivels around the entire scene like it's drunk. But really, the point to take away is that the anime uses the manga for it's storyboards, but doesn't pay any attention to how the manga paces itself.

Okay, but that's unfair to this anime, because so far everything has sucked and it's based on a really great manga, so it's heavily outclassed. My original point was that every anime does this, even the good ones. Like, a whole bunch of people were singing the praises of One Punch Man last year, because it's both a loving great manga and good anime, but the manga is still better than the anime because it's better at pacing itself while the anime isn't. Take Geno's introduction, in the manga it's a single page full of dialogue, a third of which is Saitama telling him to shut up, and the implication is that most people wouldn't even bother reading it all cause it's basically a huge wall of text taking up half the page on it's own. The anime has Genos talking for three solid minutes, and even through they try to make it funny it's still three loving minutes of dialogue from a single page of the manga. That's probably the most egregious example, but it's not the only one.

Anyway, now that the video I made is gone this post is mostly rambling garbage but whatever, hopefully I've helped convince someone to read a really good manga instead of wasting their time with this bullshit anime I continue to waste my own time with.

Last chapter of Berserk was pretty great though, of all the things I was expecting from elf island I wasn't expecting it to be literally Narnia.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 28, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Because that's kinda Musou's thing. The Dynasty Warriors games have basically everyone who had a name in Rot3K and several people who weren't even in the drat book, the Gundam games are full of deep cuts, ditto Hokuto Musou. If a Musou game doesn't let you play as every random rear end in a top hat who looks kinda cool, it might as well not be a Musou game.

I've only really got into Gundam musou but that is a game where you unlock separate power tiers of each lovely grunt robot that dies to a light breeze in it's show.

why yes i would love a tier 3 dogshit mark 5.

It's part of their charm really.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I didn't even realize that Guts's leg was hit with a branch during that fight until you just pointed it out. :downs:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Except for One Piece musou, where there are just so many characters that they can only fit in a couple from each arc.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The only thing weird about the Musou game is when they try to act like Guts killing 100 men is a big deal when Griffith congratulates me for like killing at least a 1000 every fight.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Roland Jones posted:

No, because the bloopers for the original anime are amazing.

Cause I'm just a girl who can't say no, can't seem to say it at allllll~!

Griffith's VA during practically any of theirs. :allears:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I finally read all 37 volumes of the manga and although I'm glad that vol. 38 is going to be out soon I dread having to wait a few years for another. :(

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

V38 says V39 is next year, so Miura is probably aiming to do most of a volume in this spurt.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

yaaaaay:unsmith:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
At least until the new Idolm@ster game comes out

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I believe Berserk will finish in my lifetime

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

littleorv posted:

:laffo:

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

littleorv posted:

I believe Berserk will finish in Miura's lifetime

Fixed for ya.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

littleorv posted:

I know people who have died within the span of Berserk's current run.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Crabtree posted:

The only thing weird about the Musou game is when they try to act like Guts killing 100 men is a big deal when Griffith congratulates me for like killing at least a 1000 every fight.

They're gonna change it to Guts' million man fight

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
How long will the current gravy train last? I know we have been getting a good deal of light-heartedness at times, but Berserk drama has to come back. Casca rejuvenation could be awful because innerspace psychobabble might not be one of Miura's skills.

Then again, if they're unable to heal Casca or she dies in the attempt, Guts might be so pissed that he's able to get the berserker armor to fold space and drop him and his sword on Griffith's front door in only a chapter or two.

:allears:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Oh my god that would be the worst and best thing.

Worst: Casca dies.

Best: Berserk finishes in my lifetime.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Oh my god that would be the worst and best thing.

Worst: Casca dies.

Best: Berserk finishes in my lifetime.

Worst: Miura royally fucks up a character he hasn't written for in 20 years :v:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

dis astranagant posted:

WorstExpected: Miura royally fucks up a character he hasn't written for in 20 years :v:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

bman in 2288 posted:

I know people who have died within the span of Berserk's current run.

RIP to my fallen brothers in anime.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Manga to anime adaptations in general suck rear end. Berserk moreso than usual, but they all suck in their own way.

Very, very rarely does an anime deliver the same level of quality a manga would, for a whole bunch of reasons, but for me the one I notice the most is pacing. The pacing of a comic book and the pacing of an cartoon are actually pretty different, comics can have small panels with lots of text followed by huge splash pages where the characters strike a dynamic pose, and the way that's paced is that the little panels are seen as being very small moments in time, only a beat or two, while the bigger ones are perceived as being more important, you're meant to linger on that splash page even though there's way less dialogue. But an anime would treat all panels as being equal in time and importance, and in fact would place dialogue as the king of determining pacing.

So, here's a sequence that's really quick to illustrate my point. There's minimal dialogue and a lot of action, and the pacing is really great.

The first panel is half a page and is used to establish everyone's relative position quickly, as it's the only one to have a background for the next couple pages. The other half of the page is one tall panel of Farnese frozen in place while several smaller panels beside hers show what's happening, with the implication being that everything is moving very fast.

This page is meant to be from Farnese's perspective; the first panel is when she sees a blur of motion, a whirling black cape, and the second, again a half page panel, is the moment in time she does see, that of her knights falling down in pieces while Guts is advancing towards her. It's larger so it has both the greatest impact and feels like the longest moment. The third panel is her face as she takes it all in, or rather doesn't as everything is all distorted to her mind. This is also a great example of how page breaks influence pacing, too, since everything that was setup on the first page is concluded on this page.

See how all the panels are different sizes and shapes to influence how you read this page? The top three are the setup leading to the big two panels in the middle, but then there's the smallest panel yet, a cutaway to a branch being thrown, leading to the next largest panel when it hits Guts arrow. Every panel of this page only highlights one action or emotion, so you only see the information you need and nothing else, so each panel is very quick and easy to read. This means that it's the size of each panel which determines how quickly you read the page and which parts you're meant to see as being more or less important.

A now we get another panel with a full background, which invites you to really examine it in detail. I like how it's only in the last panel that you get to see Serpico was there the whole time, and the next page after this he just flaps his hand a bit as the only indication that he's the one who threw the branch. Also notice how the rule of 180 is kept, so Farnese is always facing right and Guts is always facing left, so even with only white space as the background we still understand where they are relative to each other. The only time he looks right is to take out the knights rushing up behind him, and he barely glances that way before taking them out.

This same scene occurs in episode 2 of the anime, at the 7:30 mark, and lasts for 30 seconds. I couldn't find a decent clip of it on YouTube for the life of me, so I made my own. It was immediately blocked. So go look it up yourself.

Okay, got it? Good. So, ignoring the abysmal animation, weirdass sound design, complete lack of emotion and schizophrenic camera, how was the pacing?

Basically complete garbage, huh? There was that one moment after Guts slices up the dudes that was in slow motion in the anime, which shows that they have some understanding that moment should be highlighted, but everything else was glossed over. Except the last page, which they somehow made into one camera movement so it doesn't properly frame any one moment, just swivels around the entire scene like it's drunk. But really, the point to take away is that the anime uses the manga for it's storyboards, but doesn't pay any attention to how the manga paces itself.

Okay, but that's unfair to this anime, because so far everything has sucked and it's based on a really great manga, so it's heavily outclassed. My original point was that every anime does this, even the good ones. Like, a whole bunch of people were singing the praises of One Punch Man last year, because it's both a loving great manga and good anime, but the manga is still better than the anime because it's better at pacing itself while the anime isn't. Take Geno's introduction, in the manga it's a single page full of dialogue, a third of which is Saitama telling him to shut up, and the implication is that most people wouldn't even bother reading it all cause it's basically a huge wall of text taking up half the page on it's own. The anime has Genos talking for three solid minutes, and even through they try to make it funny it's still three loving minutes of dialogue from a single page of the manga. That's probably the most egregious example, but it's not the only one.

Anyway, now that the video I made is gone this post is mostly rambling garbage but whatever, hopefully I've helped convince someone to read a really good manga instead of wasting their time with this bullshit anime I continue to waste my own time with.

Last chapter of Berserk was pretty great though, of all the things I was expecting from elf island I wasn't expecting it to be literally Narnia.

True, pacing can be a weakness for adaptations, but good voice acting, animation, and sound design can make up for it IMO.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
In the context of Berserk, especially animation. Not that the other stuff doesn't matter, but what Berserk fans in general wanted most from an anime adaptation(aside from just "more content" because everyone is starved for it) is to have Guts swing his big sword around and have it look really nice. The rest is sorta secondary, which is why it sucks so much that the animation is bad

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

IronicDongz posted:

In the context of Berserk, especially animation. Not that the other stuff doesn't matter, but what Berserk fans in general wanted most from an anime adaptation(aside from just "more content" because everyone is starved for it) is to have Guts swing his big sword around and have it look really nice. The rest is sorta secondary, which is why it sucks so much that the animation is bad

Which is also why a musou game is the perfect way to adapt Berserk. All you really need is spectacle and that's what they're all about.

The pacing will probably still be bad, but at least the camera work will be better :v:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
As long as you feel like you're in a good outnumbered fight, it'll have all it needs if it doesn't stick to the script that much. Well that and good chatter between certain characters.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

:words:
Very detailed explanations, ideas, concepts, and opinions there. The very first thought that entered my mind: This is why it is necessary for a screenplay to be an appropriate adaptation of the written material.

Movies and series permit sufficient opportunity to provide balanced pacing, between action and drama. The Berserk anime, for example, does a very good job of pacing the story-telling, presumably so the viewer has time to think. Movies provide one thing that often has to be bypassed in manga, however: Deep character development. After all, who wants to see 25 panels of the same face with all the necessary speech bubbles, thought bubbles, etc.? Drawing all those dream sequences gets tiring. Yeah, might as well just write up a little appendix for the chapter and call it good. For a movie, you spend another hour with the actor recording voice overs or stretching what is effectively a still shot by another second or two, and no one notices; do that a dozen times and you've gained your minute of "reflection time".

I would have to guess that "Best Screenplay" doesn't mean "100% true to book", primarily because most movies have expanded or invented dialogue, chomped things that would be redundant in a 3hr or 24x45min format, chosen to focus on various action sequences, and so forth. This is all part of the awards, and part of the reason that some movies are good, others are just exercises by a director or producer, and others are just bad.

Perhaps you did not directly state that "slow and nuanced is impossible outside of manga", but it was slightly implied. There are plenty of movies and film adaptations to demonstrate that slow can be better: 2001, Apocalypse Now, Brokeback Mountain, Citizen Kane, Dune, Full Metal Jacket, The Good The Bad The Ugly. There's probably some non-short list of anime that surpasses the manga.

</ramble>

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

There are plenty of movies and film adaptations to demonstrate that slow can be better:

The Good The Bad The Ugly.

A Fistful of Dollars is the adaptation.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

LostRook posted:

A Fistful of Dollars is the adaptation.

And they're both just Yojimbo which is itself just some old book.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

dis astranagant posted:

The Glass Key, a Dashiel Hammett novel from the '30s.

Miller's Crossing is also based on it!

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

Aside from having three sides in opposition, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly has a completely different plot. On the other hand A Fistful of Dollars is often a shot for shot remake of Yojimbo and suffers greatly for it, being generally considered the least of Leone's Westerns.

Kurosawa, in fact, successfully sued Sergio Leone over it and was said to have made more money on A Fistful of Dollars than Yojimbo itself.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Perhaps you did not directly state that "slow and nuanced is impossible outside of manga", but it was slightly implied.

Whoops. Didn't mean to imply that, particularly since I was covering a fast paced action scene. Writing at midnight means I won't be covering all my bases.

My main point was that manga is structured and paced very differently from anime, and an anime that doesn't change the action to suit it's format is a piss poor adaptation. Just using the manga as a storyboard doesn't work, which is something this anime and a lot of others are guilty of. One Piece would be a better example of what I'm talking about, now that I think on it, but Berserk shows the exact same problems, too.

IronicDongz posted:

I would argue that even if this was a spectacular looking anime that it would make Redline look amateur-hour, if the pacing sucked, the show would suck. Hell, half the reason shows with great animation still ship with unpolished scenes is because they're considering the show as a whole, and they can't put 100% of their effort into just the animation or the actual show itself wouldn't be worth watching. Like, look at The Prince and The Cobbler, which has some of the best animation ever made, but everything else about it is sub-par so it's mostly just a novelty.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Whoops. Didn't mean to imply that, particularly since I was covering a fast paced action scene. Writing at midnight means I won't be covering all my bases.

My main point was that manga is structured and paced very differently from anime, and an anime that doesn't change the action to suit it's format is a piss poor adaptation. Just using the manga as a storyboard doesn't work, which is something this anime and a lot of others are guilty of. One Piece would be a better example of what I'm talking about, now that I think on it, but Berserk shows the exact same problems, too.

I would argue that even if this was a spectacular looking anime that it would make Redline look amateur-hour, if the pacing sucked, the show would suck. Hell, half the reason shows with great animation still ship with unpolished scenes is because they're considering the show as a whole, and they can't put 100% of their effort into just the animation or the actual show itself wouldn't be worth watching. Like, look at The Prince and The Cobbler, which has some of the best animation ever made, but everything else about it is sub-par so it's mostly just a novelty.

Thief and the Cobbler doesn't live up to its potential for sure, and what is left of the movie is certainly badly paced, but to say everything about it is sub par is a tad harsh. There's some great voice acting in there if nothing else, for Zigzag especially.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Free this man

Puck for King 2016,17,18 and 19, at which point we might be off Elf Island.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I haven't read since I got up to one of the still-on-the-boat parts, doing a reread and catching up now, pretty hype for an island full of Pucks.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Schierke gameplay from Berserk Warriors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM_9AJNXdac

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is my boy Isidro playable yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Where the hell is berserk's best character Rickert the technomancer.