Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

No idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
I think it's the new thread button, right?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Montague Tigg posted:

I think it's the new thread button, right?

omg if "posting a new thread" button comes to android I'm gonna be so happy :pray:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Oh my....

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Chewbecca posted:

omg if "posting a new thread" button comes to android I'm gonna be so happy :pray:

It's here.. go to the app sign up to be a tester then go to the Android store and select download update :ssh:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

It needs a setting toggle to disable the button, I've never posted a thread and I'm not going to start now!

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Daztek posted:

It needs a setting toggle to disable the button, I've never posted a thread and I'm not going to start now!

same

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ArcMage posted:

Since long press now zooms, I can no longer open the menu to download/copy/get URL to an image; if that functionality moved, where to?

I'm on the beta.

On the post above yours, when I tap on the image, it goes from thumbnail to big. When I tap on it again, it gives me a pop-up to display, show, download, and the various URL options.

Long pressing just skips that and goes to "display".

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Sereri posted:

As for the dyslexia font, I forgot how the app does font, shouldn't be an issue. I'll check the license (I guess the "open" part of the name probably gives it away) and if everything is fine it'll be in the app once it leaves beta.

Excellent, very grateful for this. The app is great already, nothing awful about it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
How does the font help with dyslexia? It sounds fascinating and I wanna read about it.

It's also a pretty cool looking font and I don't even have dyslexia

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
I can't really speak of anything scientific about it, on how it works or why it looks like it does. I also don't have very severe dyslexia, if i even have it I have it very mild, I don't experience any jumbling of letters in words or anything like that.

However with regular fonts I find myself getting stuck when reading long paragraphs of texts, fixate on words, kind of like a stutter but it's all in my head and it gets kind of hard to move on. With the opendyslexia font I just find it a whole lot easier to simply see words and understand them in their context and then move on rather than reading every individual word.

It just helps and doesn't cause me to be like physically exhausted after reading something that contains several paragraphs. It's been mindblowing to me while reading books. Often before switching to it on an e-reader I'd be taking naps or just glaceing over if it's late at night.

Entirely open to it just being a placebo, it just feels like it works so I go with it. On the e-reader it's even better when I can adjust the spacing etc.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

And another font update, it seems that the font setting broke a long time ago and is not working in a lot of places. I'll have to fix them all first. I was hoping for "put the file in and it just works" 🫠

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

I tried the new button and it didn't quite work but I appreciate the attempt

lmao, good old case of "cleaning up code and not retesting afterwards". A fix has been submitted (and tested!)

ArcMage posted:

Since long press now zooms, I can no longer open the menu to download/copy/get URL to an image; if that functionality moved, where to?

Should be just a tap as before, does that not do anything?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Okay, that seems to be it, thank you.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

I made a thread!!!!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I couldn't find the Make A New Thread button until I remembered that I was on the bookmark page and not in a subforum :P

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I'm clicking on 'join the beta' in the Google Play store and nothing is happening :sweatdrop:

Can only a certain amount of people join perhaps?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Chewbecca posted:

I'm clicking on 'join the beta' in the Google Play store and nothing is happening :sweatdrop:

Can only a certain amount of people join perhaps?
It took a significant amount of time to show up as an update when I enrolled too. Check again from time to time.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Sorry I worded that poorly. I meant I'm in the play store, on the Awful page, tapping 'join' and nothing happens. Button doesn't change, no new page loads, join doesn't disappear, no message etc. Page just looks the same.

I'm not sure what should happen but I'd assume there'd be something would happen?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I honestly don't remember the steps. This is what Google says. Hope it's helpful.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/7003180?visit_id=638523590125025277-3293838678&p=beta_testing&rd=1

Get beta versions of apps
Important: To get the beta version of an app, the app must already be installed on your device.
Open the Play Store Google Play.
At the top right, tap the profile icon.
Tap Manage apps & devices and then Installed.
Tap an app to open its detail page.
Under “Join the beta,” tap Join and then Join.
Tip: If you can’t find “Join the beta,” that means the developer doesn’t offer public betas for the app at this time.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Yeah I can find 'join', but when I tap it nothing happens

All good though, hopefully it just gets released soon so I can start posting threads with wild abandon

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I had that issue due a few days and I've been in the tester group for awhile. Might just be slow getting you the update.

I don't really post threads but that's an awesome addition!

I love that I can just hold down on a picture and it gets big instead of asking me to make the picture bigger or download it or whatever. It's awesome.

Got another update I had to do through the store, but.
OMG you can now hold to open the image then lunch to zoom in ... Legend.

It only has a 4.8 star rating instead of the obvious 5 stars, but I found these fun reviews of 1 stars.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I guess you can add some text to the login screen that says "you need to already have an SA account to be able to use this app. :10bux:"

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Nah this is funnier.. like, were ppl just searching for highly rated apps in the store and installing them How would you find the awful app and not understand that it's these forums and you need an account

Just wild to me

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Not just installing random apps without knowing what they do but installing one actually called "awful" and doing no further research

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Wendigee posted:

Nah this is funnier.. like, were ppl just searching for highly rated apps in the store and installing them How would you find the awful app and not understand that it's these forums and you need an account

Just wild to me

I think it's because the reference in the app description is to somethingisawful.com. lol

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Mantle posted:

I think it's because the reference in the app description is to somethingisawful.com. lol

LOL, that sure is awful.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

In re: the new image viewer in the beta

I had trouble with an image where I couldn't pan around after zooming in and trying to move it to the bottom of the image caused the page to advance (via the pull to advance). Now I can't replicate the stickiness/inability to move the image but it's still ridiculously easy to trigger the pull to refresh while in an image. Also if you keep the FAB reply button on it is overlaid in the image.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

anyone have this happening? ever since the last update the three dot menus on gifs/videos don't work unless I full-screen the media in question. tried clearing app storage and uninstalled/reinstalled with no luck.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Montague Tigg posted:

anyone have this happening? ever since the last update the three dot menus on gifs/videos don't work unless I full-screen the media in question. tried clearing app storage and uninstalled/reinstalled with no luck.

I forgot that was even a thing. Went to the last page of the PYF GIF Thread, and it worked fine for me. I'm on Awful 3.9.4, which AFAIK is the latest (non-Beta) version…

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
When I try to attach a cool file it opens some image picker and I pick an image and then the app says I haven't given it permission to do that.

But when I look at the android settings for the app the Permissions thing is greyed out and says no permissions requested.

What's up with that?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

ClassActionFursuit posted:

In re: the new image viewer in the beta

I had trouble with an image where I couldn't pan around after zooming in and trying to move it to the bottom of the image caused the page to advance (via the pull to advance). Now I can't replicate the stickiness/inability to move the image but it's still ridiculously easy to trigger the pull to refresh while in an image. Also if you keep the FAB reply button on it is overlaid in the image.

This seems to happen when the thread view is shorter than the screen. So say you load a thread with only a single short unread post with an image and then you view the image. Panning around will be practically unusable, or won't work at all.

If you first Show Previous Posts or whatever it is called then panning around the image works fine.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Dunno why but I can't download mp4s when they are in a thread unless I maximize them and then click the download option. Otherwise they'll play but they won't download.

Weird.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

When I try to attach an image to a post I get an error saying "well you didn't give the app permission to access files". But when I go to the app's permission settings I see that none are requested. I tried reinstalling the app to provoke a permission request but that didn't work. The image is a weed-themed custom skin for a PS5 controller, so this is both urgent and important. Anything else I can do?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Is it an image file like a jpeg or is it a webm/webp file?

I've had those files cause a lot of apps to poo poo themselves with weirdness. It's like it sees it as an image file but god help you if you wanna share it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Normal jpeg, nothing weird

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

One thing I've noticed on Android is now when you're probed the banner doesn't appear. It's just a black box where the banner should be

This is still an issue btw

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Skarsnik posted:

This is still an issue btw

Feels better this way though, I don't like the purple reminding me of my bad decisions (or the mods bad decisions, whatever)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I make the most perfect decisions, just the best

On the amoled theme it's just a kind of black gap and it's not actually obvious it's there at all, till you go to post or whatever

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Failed Imagineer posted:

Feels better this way though, I don't like the purple reminding me of my bad decisions (or the mods bad decisions, whatever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004