Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Cojawfee posted:

Does Dolores' family get murdered every night?

The narrative tree on the website seems to indicate that Dolores's night ends peacefully unless there is a Black Hat guest present. We've seen a peaceful night in the show.

Cojawfee posted:

I'm interested in seeing the part where Elsie disappears. I thought Bernard was at the HQ so I don't know how he would strangle her.

Just rewatched this today. There's a scene break between the phone call and the attack. She's in the theatre copying data for an unspecified amount of time. When she hears a noise, she first says "Bernard?", implying that it's been long enough for Bernard to go to the theatre.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

I'm a nice guy, hoping to have some fun on these forums, Lol

Borrowed Ladder posted:

How can people still flat out not believe William = MIB after MIB recognizes the greeter and mentions she's been recast?? I saw one poster say that maybe he just remembered her from a different time? What kind of horseshit nonsensical writing would that be? Hey guys let's write in some dialogue for our mysterious unnamed character about someone that only William has interacted with.

Very carefully

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I'm thinking that Bernard was just having a horrible imagining where he wonders if he has done something to Elsie. Not a real memory, more of a "could I have done that too?" At the same time as asking if Ford had made him hurt anybody else. He was clearly thinking about Elsie going missing.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Collateral posted:

I'm thinking that Bernard was just having a horrible imagining where he wonders if he has done something to Elsie. Not a real memory, more of a "could I have done that too?" At the same time as asking if Ford had made him hurt anybody else. He was clearly thinking about Elsie going missing.

I assume we'll get Elsie back and it will be left ambiguous about whether or not she's been replaced.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Why would Ford lie to Bernard about harming others right before he memory wiped him? And the line was delivered with no hesitation at all.

Far more likely is Bernard had a memory of hurting someone that didn't come as a result of being ordered to do so by Ford.

So either it was self directed which seems way out of character or someone else ordered him to do it. Probably Arnold since no one else introduced so far would potentially have that level of control over Bernard.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I assume we'll get Elsie back and it will be left ambiguous about whether or not she's been replaced.

well it won't be ambiguous for very long, because either she'll try to ask Bernard about all the poo poo that's going on or she won't.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

You missed the possibility that Bernard acted independently to silence Elsie in order to protect Theresa, who he loves respected as a co-worker but was never close to.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Nah, I think Elise is dead. Bernard remembers killing her to show that he's affected by whatever dormant virus Arnold left in the hosts that allows them to remember violent poo poo after memory wipes. We finally got Teddy remembering poo poo this episode too, so it might be a piece of getting to full consciousness.

I feel like Felix's characterization is the big problem with the butchers plot. I think he's been close to stating a moral objection to shutting Maeve down several times but hasn't done it. If he'd won Sylvester over with that argument, the pair would seem a lot less idiotic.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cojawfee posted:

If they were retrieving her, wouldn't they just pause everyone and then go get her?

If there were enough guests around, it would really ruin the experience. Though I'd think the same for Dolores suddenly not being around when William gets back outside.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Borrowed Ladder posted:

How can people still flat out not believe William = MIB after MIB recognizes the greeter and mentions she's been recast?? I saw one poster say that maybe he just remembered her from a different time? What kind of horseshit nonsensical writing would that be? Hey guys let's write in some dialogue for our mysterious unnamed character about someone that only William has interacted with.

On the one hand, Ed Harris is Liam McPoyle from the future. On the other hand, more than one guest has run into this NPC over the last 30 years. Which sounds more plausible to you?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

esperterra posted:

I'm just saying that even if William is in the past (which at this point I think he may well be, though I don't think he's MiB) I think the flashes to her alone are just glitches/a visual cue that she's off in her own world/memories/talking to the voice in her head

I think this much of your theory is correct, it follows the same patter every time it happens, like the last scene in The Sopranos, and you're supposed to pick up on it eventually.

Most/all of the weird stuff happening is from the host's perspective.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if each loop takes course over the course of weeks at the least. The family might just get murdered on the first night and buried for the remainder of the loop. It sort of looks like each loop is super short because of how each episode flows, without showing the time spent inbetween each loop.

This is probably the case.

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Because what if the Man in Black has been coming to the park for 30 years and is not face blind like most Goons?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah I would have liked them to spend a fee minutes with Maeve and Felix where Felix determines she is fully concious and decides to help her based on that. Like maybe she passes a special touring test and Felix gets really excited about the first truly sentient machine that he feels obligated to protect.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
He's done that though? Like he's had an argument with Sylvester about how you can't brick a sentient being, and then helped Maeve bypass Sylvester's bricking.

I'm glad they haven't got stuck on trying to prove her consciousness, because she's clearly conscious.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 24, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

hosts passed the turing test after the first year

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

A Strange Aeon posted:

Why would Ford lie to Bernard about harming others right before he memory wiped him? And the line was delivered with no hesitation at all.

Far more likely is Bernard had a memory of hurting someone that didn't come as a result of being ordered to do so by Ford.

So either it was self directed which seems way out of character or someone else ordered him to do it. Probably Arnold since no one else introduced so far would potentially have that level of control over Bernard.

I think Ford lies just to keep Bernard under control until the memories are erased.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Solkanar512 posted:

I think Ford lies just to keep Bernard under control until the memories are erased.

What would be the point of that? He can shut him down or wipe his memory at any time. He already has him under control.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

MiB is a host created by Ford and based on the actual person he thinks he is, given his memories, and set loose in the park to discover Arnold's 'Maze' meta-narrative.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

TremorX posted:

MiB is a host created by Ford and based on the actual person he thinks he is, given his memories, and set loose in the park to discover Arnold's 'Maze' meta-narrative.

Unlikely, given that a guest recognized him and thanked him for his philanthropy in the real world, to which MIB replied that he was on vacation and to knock that poo poo off.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Norns posted:

What would be the point of that? He can shut him down or wipe his memory at any time. He already has him under control.

I think that we can learn from Maeve's backstory that intense emotions can cause a host to become unresponsive to commands. Ford has probably went through this ordeal in the past and knows it's better to avoid pushing the hosts too hard.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
My wife said that the host in dancing class who briefly wanders away and needs to be told to stay with her partner is Armistice, Hector's blonde companion. Me being faceblind, I can't tell since she's not tattooed in the dance scene, but is this the case?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Yes, that's definitely armistice.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Yes, and the woman in the lab coat that brings her back to her partner is Bernards wife.

not really --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Norns posted:

Because Maeve still jammed a pair of scissors into her neck after he supposedly had her back under control and was about to wipe her?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

A Strange Aeon posted:

Ford thinks he can do as he pleases with the hosts, why not lie to then? Telling the truth could get Bernard mad there

Also, I dont think is possible for him not to know that hosts sometimes can remember stuff that was supposed to be erased

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ford thinks he can do as he pleases with the hosts, why not lie to then? Telling the truth could get Bernard mad there

Also, I dont think is possible for him not to know that hosts sometimes can remember stuff that was supposed to be erased

He pretty much said so... when referring to hosts wandering of like Delores. Even the staff seems to be well aware that hosts do that and that they wipe memories to prevent that. If that wasn't common knowledge, why accuse Ford of tampering with the code (Reveries) and pretend like Clementine remembered her attacker somehow.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Dolores was retrieved from the present because after that is when Ford analyses her and asks when she last talked to arnold and she says 34 years ago. Then she says something in the dark about not telling him anything, so I guess the implication is Bernard went to talk to her surreptitiously OR she is talking to arnold alone AND/OR bernard and arnold are the same person.

Also Dolores is spelled Dolores on the prototype sheet Teresa finds in the diagnostic center. :argh:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah I would have liked them to spend a fee minutes with Maeve and Felix where Felix determines she is fully concious and decides to help her based on that. Like maybe she passes a special touring test and Felix gets really excited about the first truly sentient machine that he feels obligated to protect.

Is that where she tours around the facility and then Felix tests her on what she saw?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Maybe felix should just have a line like 'Maeve, I believe you to be special and i'm going to help you because of this' and dispense with the 100% threat agenda.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Demiurge4 posted:

Maybe felix should just have a line like 'Maeve, I believe you to be special and i'm going to help you because of this' and dispense with the 100% threat agenda.

I mean the writers could choose to explicitly exposit every bit of obvious subtext directly into the camera, but they don't do that because they aren't terrible.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Maeve explicitly says Felix ratted Sylvester out, she says that Felix is compassionate and doesn't want to needlessly kill another being. She actually never really threatened Felix, she just sorta voiced threats at Sylvester while Felix was in the room, he was always on her side anyway.

We're really shown time and time again that most people (other than Logan) are prone to 'forget' that the hosts are supposedly just high-tech dolls and start treating them like humans, with Felix it was even more explicit (and justified), the moment Maeve woke up and started acting like a real person he was 100% ready to accept her as an individual worthy of being respected and protected. And also, he's infatuated with her.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 24, 2016

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Maeve explicitly says Felix ratted Sylvester out, she says that Felix is compassionate and doesn't want to needlessly kill another being. She actually never really threatened Felix, she just sorta voiced threats at Sylvester while Felix was in the room, he was always on her side anyway.

We're really shown time and time again that most people (other than Logan) are prone to 'forget' that the hosts are supposedly just high-tech dolls and start treating them like humans, which Felix it was even more explicit (and justified), the moment Maeve woke up and started acting like a real person he was 100% ready to accept her as an individual worthy of being respected and protected. And also, he's infatuated with her.

But how do the bullets know to kill only the robots?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Lycus posted:

The narrative tree on the website seems to indicate that Dolores's night ends peacefully unless there is a Black Hat guest present. We've seen a peaceful night in the show.

How do you get to any of this poo poo on the website? I'm not good at ARGs.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
The bullets are loving racists who don't accept that robots can achieve consciousness and aren't worthy of respect.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Megaspel posted:

But how do the bullets know to kill only the robots?

They show them photos of the world outside the park.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
They administer a Voight-Kampff test.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

GunnerJ posted:

How do you get to any of this poo poo on the website? I'm not good at ARGs.

Someone found a flowchart of Dolores' loop.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Nah, guests don't look like anything to them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I would not shoot a high speed train. I would not shoot it in the brain.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
After a full re-watch, there is nothing to indicate that MiB isn't William. And there's plenty of suggestions that that IS the case. I think one of the strongest ties is that Logan and William's company is very obviously about to invest in the park and MiB says to Ford that "this place would've gone under if it wasn't for me". I'm not sure if people are just hoping that it's misdirection for a better twist (and it may be) but I didn't see a single thing that made me go "Oh wow, guess that ISN'T old William."

Also, possibly proof that when Bernard is speaking to Dolores in the first few episodes that it's not actually host-Bernard: he's very obviously in the basement below the cottage (where Bernard killed Theresa) and I don't think Bernard could get down there alone since he couldn't even see the door when he and Theresa were in the cottage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I don't have a huge stake in the two timelines thing. It seems pretty plausible but if it's not true, whatever. The most interesting criticism of it, though, is "so what?" What we're talking about is the possibility that the show is using a particular narrative framing device, that the story unfolds both in the present and through events in the past that influence the present, but not signaling this to the audience. So my question is, what is gained by doing things this way? What would be lost by having a "30 years before" (or whatever) caption for the introductory scene with William and Logan?

• Locked thread