Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Change the routine when he comes out from his crate?

Mine go outside immediately when they come out so they can run it off. Some dogs simply need a shitload of walks or they start bouncing off the walls*, even if he stops the biting he's still going to get his energy out in other equally annoying ways

*lurking potential dog owners, if you think little dogs don't do this then you are wrong, they just need shorter walks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Duke is here!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
:3: gun dog puppies. Holy poo poo I can't help it.

learnincurve posted:

Duke is here!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

He is a royal pain in the arse but look at that face!

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

I need some help and ideas with puppy biting. The usual advice of leave the room is hard to do, because she can reliably get to the door faster than I can (plus she can hang on to me like a champ), and just waiting it out doesn't always work -- she usually gives up on my leg when nothing happens, but she seems perfectly ok with biting my hand without any feedback.

Also it is hard to leave room/leave puppy in another room when we are outdoor :v:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Puppy biting does two things for puppy, it gives them a reaction and attention from the humans, and it helps with teething. Puppies have very shot attention spans so as they are doing it replace hand with toy while saying no.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I just shoved a toy into his mouth for a few weeks and he figured it out.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Hello Thread,

My girlfriend and I are the proud new parents of a new doggie. She is a rescue, approx ~1 year old.

She is neutered and up to date on all her shots. The shelter believes she is a yorkie/shitzu mix or a shitzu/terrier mix. I think terrier cause she can be pretty active and fun and likes to run but i don't know a thing about dogs, which is why I'm here. (opinions on what she is welcome). she has an excellent and very friendly personality. Is friendly with other dogs and people. Have yet to hear her bark and shes passed near cats and birds and the usual suspects. She is easily excitable and enjoys attention but when we sit down on the couch she will often just cuddle right up on us and relax. she responds to her name

A couple things I have noticed and would like feed back and advice on

1. She's a house dog that is housebroken. she was given up because the previous owners were evicted and could not keep her. The first day in the apartment she pee'd NEAR the pee pad, and poop'd on the floor but this was our fault for not walking her in the AM after walking her late the first night. she didn't go on the walk after adoption or at night, Rookie mistake on our part. We didn't punish her or anything. The next two mornings I woke up and took her for a 10 min walk around the park and she pee'd and pooped. I attempted to reward with treats but she wasn't interested, so instead i praised and played with her immediately after she finished her business. so yay. I am planning on implementing the house training guide in the OP anyway to reinforce the behavior.

1A. she pee'd on the pad subsequently...and we've left it for two days with a clean one to reinforce the spot. good idea/bad idea? gonna clean that up and place a new one tonight

1b. Necessary to walk for bathroom after all play times per Playtime section in OP?

2. She pee's when she gets excited. Every time my girlfriend and i come home from work or being out she gets super worked up and spins around and all over your legs and than....pee's a little. anything we can do to mitigate this? she also pee'd once when i got the leash for a walk. A friend recommended ignoring the dog for 2-5 mins every time you come home. thoughts?

3. Is crate training necessary? should we crate the dog when we leave on errands (1-3 hours) or to work (6-8) hours of alone time? We've been leaving her out whenever we leave the apartment and she hasn't gone to the bathroom inside or tore anything up. We leave some soft music on so she isn't bored and has something going on....

4. Sleeping -> We've let her sleep in bed with us for the first 3 nights and she has been great. doesn't wake us up, move around or do anything really. she just gets in bed with my gf and i and passes out for the night. we do leave the door open so she can get out to water and pee pad, but she hasn't left at all. is allowing her in a bad idea? it probably wont be an every night thing but most nights we wont mind. I also have not let her in the bedroom until its time for bed at which point its directly to bed and sleep in an attempt to form an association of the bedroom and bed being only for sleep. She actually will not enter the room now without being invited and seems to understand.

5. How should we regiment and structure feed times. Thanks to the OP I know free feeding is a bad idea so, water available all the time, pee pad in the corner, and than give her food in the AM at wake up (before or after the initial bathroom walk???!?) and than when we get home from work. We have been walking her 3x daily, morning, home from work, pre-bed lookin like 7AM, 6PM, 10PM. I want to be able to control when she poops and stuff per the house training guide in the OP but im not sure what the best way to do that is

6. The shelter believes she's fully grown. IRT food, what do we feed her? She is not a fan of the hard food we got from the shelter...purina? i think and it may be too hard for her. I actually haven't seen her eat apart from some ground beef out of my hand i cooked up. She also isn't responsive to the treats we got....does anyone have experience with this breed IRT feeding and treats?

7. Toys - she hasn't been chewing the hard flavored rubber toy we got her and she ignores the squeeky soft lamb thing....what do we get her to play with??

Im going to buy a puppy kong.... any other suggestions? we have a 6 foot leash...waiting on feedback for crate...

omg please help me and give me general tips and feedback its my first dog

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 20, 2017

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
New pupper doing well first couple days home. Loses attention from treats if they're hidden so commands are a little difficult, but he's surprisingly well tempered. Maybe a little too shy. So pretty though! :3:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
After first week with our new puppy I have to say I wasn't ready...

Anyway, got two new questions

1) Sometimes the puppy gets really, really bitey and is more or less impossible to stop her from biting us for couple of minutes. When I stick a chew toy in her face, she will bat it out of the way and keep going for my hands/feets. Is there a good way to snap a puppy out of this?

Just couple of minutes ago she snapped herself out of it by running into garden ornament at full speed, but I would obviously prefer non-violent methods -- given the sounds and looks afterwards, I really, really don't get how someone could willingly hurt a puppy.

2) We are teaching her to bite gently before we try to teach her not to bite at all, and are having some success (when the above-mentioned biting attack isn't happening), but she started trying to take my finger down into her mouth -- should I be worried?

---- edit because I need to vent ----
Relatives are loving worst. I am having trouble keeping the puppy somewhat contained so she doesn't bite them and they start going "come here girl! Come here!" and slapping their legs.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
I'm a vet and I always wonder how people create these completely obnoxious mouthy adult dogs who ~gently~ put their teeth all over me and hang onto my arms while I'm trying to examine them. The owners always act like this is fine and cute.

This must be how it happens

Xarn posted:

We are teaching her to bite gently before we try to teach her not to bite at all

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Waroduce Don't panic you aren't goung horribly wrong.

Firstly and most importantly you are supposed to pour boiling water over that dry food and let it soak in and cool.

Keep taking her outside after play, food, sleeping, and reward her when she goes

Some dogs prefer affection to treats, some don't like toys.

Remove the rubber toy, rubber toys are horrible as bits can break off and kill them. Get one of those rag pull toys.

I don't ignore my dogs when I come home, I immediately let them outside for the toilet and let them get some energy out.

Feed her just before a walk.

Crate training is amazing. They howl a bit when you put them in at first but it soon becomes their own personal safe space, where they can chew their toys and sleep in peace. When you are out dogs don't rush around the place, they sleep and they chew. :)

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I have a blind friend who has recently aquired a labrador puppy and is having a hell of a time training him (because of the aforementioned blindness). Any good suggestions?

e: he lives in Iran

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

A trainer? 🤔

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

So this loveable but slightly insane spaniel mix loves nothing more than diving into long grass and getting grass seed all up in his hair and becoming insta dreadlock.

He hates the brush we have at the moment and I'm wondering if there is anything in particular people would recommend for helping keeping him from becoming one big clump of hair.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

would recommend for helping keeping him from becoming one big clump of hair.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0178VW3PS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There is no sadder, no more pathetic, sight in the world of dogs than a springer spanial puppy who knows his owner has forgotten to give him a treat he has rightfully earned.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My puppy has roundworms somehow, even though both stool samples we sent in came up negative and she hasn't left my apartment for 3 weeks without being carried. She's being dewormed, but now I'm worried I might have worms too. She's a puppy and bites and of course licks faces/hands a lot, so is it pretty much a foregone conclusion I too have worms? If so, what do I do?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Go to your chemist/doctor they do worming tablets for humans as well.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I heard some whining and found this thing stuck under my fence. now he's in a box in my house

He seems real tired and low energy but I've known him for 15 minutes so I can't make any blanket statements. I gave him some water and tuna because that was the thing in my house that seemed the most like dog food. He ate a little bit of tuna and drank a little bit of water. He likes being held and climbing up people, apparently.

I'm gonna take him to the vet tomorrow morning but until then how do I make this thing not die?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's no awake and licking and biting me

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
he seems a lot more energetic but not very strong. his back legs seem weak. he's not very good at standing

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
what kind of dog is this

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
his ears are always like that

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
He's a chihuahua puppy and you should knock on your neighbour's doors and call the warden to report that you have found him because he's well cared for, lost, loved by someone, and expensive.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
No way is this guy a purebred Chihuahua, those things have way uglier faces.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm afraid he's still not yours though ma duck. If he is still having problems with his back end then he does need the vet as he could have hurt himself going under fences, you want to do some door knocking asap because x-rays are expensive.

Warm Fish Salad
Dec 16, 2016

You Compleat Me

Guy Goodbody posted:

No way is this guy a purebred Chihuahua, those things have way uglier faces.

Some Chi breeders go for that ugly smoosh face "applehead" BS, but not all Chihuhuas look like that. The little guy you found looks like he could possibly be a Chi/Dachshund mix (a "Chiweenie") which could explain his trouble standing as Dachshunds are notorious for spine issues. But, yeah, ask around to make sure someone in your neighborhood isn't missing him, put up a "found puppy" flier, and in the meantime if you are able, have a vet look at him to determine if he is injured or ill, or if he has some spinal deformity. The vet will also scan him for a microchip. A tip about the flier, too - don't put a photo of the puppy on it, and don't give an extremely detailed description. Just say something like, "Found: Chihuahua puppy" and ask anyone who responds to describe the puppy to you. This will ensue that the real owner gets the puppy back, rather than someone who just wants a free puppy.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So we have a little 8lb Terrier/Shitzu mix that is super sweet and adorable. We've had her for about 3 weeks and she is settling in nicely. My GF and I work full time and we leave her uncrated in the apartment typically for 5-8 hours. I usually make it home on lunch break to run her around, if not than right after work. She is totally house broken and hasn't gone in the house since we rescued her.

Recently though she has gotten alot more nippy and bitey with my gf and I. When we walk her she gets super excited and bites the back of our legs and feet, im guessing shes just super excited. Even when we pet her sometimes she'll take a finger in her mouth and nip. Not sure where this is coming from since its a super recent development (last 3 or 4 days). Any advice?

Secondly, which may be tangentially related to the first issue, is that she loves chewing on poo poo. The first week she was fine, but i guess shes grown more comfortable and she started chewing on our couch which is less than ideal. She also loves getting into any clothes or shoes we leave lying around. We have been real good about picking poo poo up but she went through a pair of my GF's heels last night that she left on the ground by the door. We also let her sleep with us in our room or on our bed, apart from sleep time and in the morning we keep her out of our room. At night though occasionally she'll get up for water or to wander around and will occasionally bring a thong ( i swear to god its always a thong) back to her little bed or into ours and destroy it. Im looking for any advice on how to handle this?

We usually leave her with 2 rubber bones and 2 balls and occasionally a carrot to snack on. I also have a small dog kong that we leave with her when we go to work occasionally which replaces half her breakfast. Also TVs on animal planet. I guess she gets bored though so im looking for other ideas to keep her occupied while we are gone....

She really loves stuffed soft plush toys, but will destroy them in like 20 mins. She literally just opens them up and removes the stuffing (doesn't eat it). she is way less interested in rubber and hard toys. are there any like reinforced soft plush stuffed toys i can get that will stand up to aggressive chewing? Or things stuffed with like edible...stuff? idk...

sorry for the stream of consciousness but i could use some advice

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Hey team. New puppy owner here. I've got a 8 week old pup who is very vocal. She seems to have a fair bit of separation anxiety. How long does a pup usually take to chill out? She barks and whines while I'm 2-3 feet from her on the couch. We're thinking of beginning crate training in the next few days once we settle down.

Cute doggo though.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Crate training is awesome and would also fix Waroduce's problems. You have to watch young puppies like a hawk 24/7 or they will destroy your poo poo, and they actually like being in crates with their toys. I have an example, friend of mine had a boxer puppy who wanted to chew electricity. When he was left in the room with all cables removed he dug into the wall to try and get to the internal wiring, crate training stopped him from doing this, Hurrah.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

learnincurve posted:

Crate training is awesome and would also fix Waroduce's problems. You have to watch young puppies like a hawk 24/7 or they will destroy your poo poo, and they actually like being in crates with their toys. I have an example, friend of mine had a boxer puppy who wanted to chew electricity. When he was left in the room with all cables removed he dug into the wall to try and get to the internal wiring, crate training stopped him from doing this, Hurrah.

Can i leave the dog in the crate for like 5-8 hours?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Waroduce posted:

when they get old enough to comfortably hold their bladder then yes.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Waroduce posted:

I leave mine in crates overnight. Advice on this may differ - I wouldn't crate my dogs for longer than 4 hours during the day without having somone let them out for bathroom and exercise, although 5 wouldn't be terrible, but then I wouldn't leave my dogs alone and out of the crate for 8 hours either. There are various home/walking services and they are not that expensive, lady round my way charges £5 to come let your dogs out and play with them for a bit, it's a bargain compared with having to replace your furniture :)

I've currently got a 9 year old collie with bad hips, a 8 month yorkie mix puppy and a 3 month springer spanial puppy, constant vigilance is key - if they are looking at something you don't want them to chew then they are about to chew it, have a toy by you at all times and throw it so their puppy butterfly brains flip to chasing that instead. If they go for hands or feet don't react, just replace them with a toy and they will soon learn that it's a pointless thing to do and that toys are far more interesting.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
The family puppy is due to give birth in a week ish, and I have no idea what the hell I'm doing; the youngest dog I've ever had was 10 weeks.

How to birth puppies, rez non breathing puppies, first few weeks, I don't even

help??

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

learnincurve posted:

I leave mine in crates overnight. Advice on this may differ - I wouldn't crate my dogs for longer than 4 hours during the day without having somone let them out for bathroom and exercise, although 5 wouldn't be terrible, but then I wouldn't leave my dogs alone and out of the crate for 8 hours either. There are various home/walking services and they are not that expensive, lady round my way charges £5 to come let your dogs out and play with them for a bit, it's a bargain compared with having to replace your furniture :)

I've currently got a 9 year old collie with bad hips, a 8 month yorkie mix puppy and a 3 month springer spanial puppy, constant vigilance is key - if they are looking at something you don't want them to chew then they are about to chew it, have a toy by you at all times and throw it so their puppy butterfly brains flip to chasing that instead. If they go for hands or feet don't react, just replace them with a toy and they will soon learn that it's a pointless thing to do and that toys are far more interesting.

Well she's held it consistently without issue for everywhere from 5-8 hours alone while uncrated. We do try to be very active with her when we get home though. She gets walked more or less 7AM, 7PM and 10PM, so breakfast, dinner, bed and i often run her around enough that she is an exhausted pup.

I live in Miami, everything is expensive (25$ for a midday walk) but maybe I can ask the neighbors daughters or something to walk her or play with her. they have a little chiuwawa but thing is a loving agressive little poo poo that jumps and bites at me and my doggie.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Thread is active today, hopefully the actually qualified people who post here will catch up on it soon.

TheMaskedUgly posted:

The family puppy is due to give birth in a week ish, and I have no idea what the hell I'm doing; the youngest dog I've ever had was 10 weeks.

How to birth puppies, rez non breathing puppies, first few weeks, I don't even

help??

Please please go to your vet, if you haven't taken the bitch yet then you must do so, they need special food and the vet needs to make sure they can give birth naturally. If you have been to the vet then go back and ask questions, they won't mind and should be able to sell you books.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
How do you crate train without puppo throwing a shitfit when you close the door? She likes it in there - she sleeps in there at night - but close the door and GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOUL. Internet says to open up once she calms down so you don't train that complaining gets her out, but she has tantrum stamina so the opportunity never presents itself.

pupshot for reference

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Waroduce posted:

She really loves stuffed soft plush toys, but will destroy them in like 20 mins. She literally just opens them up and removes the stuffing (doesn't eat it). she is way less interested in rubber and hard toys. are there any like reinforced soft plush stuffed toys i can get that will stand up to aggressive chewing? Or things stuffed with like edible...stuff? idk...

I've got a 50lb hound who likes destroying plush toys. I got her a cute reinforced dragon from GoDog. She immediately destroyed it but they will send you one free replacement so that's nice. They sent me a rabbit that she immediately removed the ears from but the rest of it us holding up surprisingly well. I ended up buying her another, larger dragon and she's still working on that one too.

Outward Hound makes stuffing-less plush squeaky toys out of fire hose material. My dog wouldn't touch that toy though and would actually avoid going near it. I ended up giving it to my friends St Bernard and she loves it and has not destroyed it after a couple of months.

I haven't done this but when I was working retail at a drug store, the plush holiday toys would go on sale for 90% off and people would buy them cheap for their dogs. Some dollar stores also have cheap toys/dog toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

GoodBee posted:

Outward Hound makes stuffing-less plush squeaky toys out of fire hose material. My dog wouldn't touch that toy though and would actually avoid going near it. I ended up giving it to my friends St Bernard and she loves it and has not destroyed it after a couple of months.

I got my dogs these (the ones that are just the squeaky firehose, not the animal shapes) and they destroyed them in less than 10 minutes. Granted, my dogs are assholes who live to watch the world burn so YMMV.