Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

life_source posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjT1vn3vCwk&feature=emb_logo

Now THIS looks, feels and reads like it's Hussie.

I hope it is incomprehensibly weird and bad. I will probably love it.

god i already love it. i hope its worth the years of waiting to see what he'd do post-homestuck. a VN makes a lot of sense for his content style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Fancy Hat! posted:

Its so weird to see homestuck style illustrations that have none of the Homestuck specific callbacks.
Honestly it’s a bit disappointing since Homestuck’s style was done to emulate old adventure titles while also being the best look possible when updating 50 times a weeks.

He’s been punching below his weight for over a decade now, and it’s honestly disappointing to see him continue in that same vein. Having said that, he has a ridiculous knack for making something look lovely yet appealing by investing way more time and effort than what the final product suggests. Years of sbahj have paid dividends for sure.

Also, one of the first scenes in that trailers has a calendar with an sburb looking house on one of the dates :ohdear:

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Pants Donkey posted:

Also, one of the first scenes in that trailers has a calendar with an sburb looking house on one of the dates :ohdear:

Not to mention "You have the chance to do what 1 in trillions can do & be worshipped as a god" sounds like some real SBURB talk, but I'll hope its mostly unrelated!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Fancy Hat! posted:

Its so weird to see homestuck style illustrations that have none of the Homestuck specific callbacks.

A lot of it seemed very Midnight Crew inspired.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I actually thought the art in that trailer was even shittier than usual, which is weird because this (presumably) isn't homestuck and so isn't bound to a rapid pace of updates, and he's done good art in his non-homestuck work like And It Don't Stop, Whistles, etc. which I thought looked REALLY nice. I kinda wish he'd go back to that style.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The standout difference between this and what's come before is what seems like the heavy use of images from photographs getting intentionally "pixelated" and used in animated sequences.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Idk, seemed pretty forced to me

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Myabe ive just changed as a person but it seemed pretty “cringe” to me

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

So the announcement was for a trailer for a project that doesn't even have a name yet.

Like, good on Hussie for working on poo poo after Homestuck, but also this is the kind of thing that makes me want to go "Oh gently caress you" and maybe shove someone a bit.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Clawtopsy posted:

Myabe ive just changed as a person but it seemed pretty “cringe” to me
It was assuredly intentional, but I admit that still doesn’t mean I’m chomping at the bit for it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

It was assuredly intentional, but I admit that still doesn’t mean I’m chomping at the bit for it.

for sure but i think trying to hype something with ironic cringe when you’re a 41 year old man is unironic cringe instead

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Homestuck and the previous MS Paint Adventures revisited themes and imagery from still-earlier works. Don't need to be familiar with Neon Ice Cream Headache to follow along with later works, right?

I'm interested in anything this guy does.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Looks dope

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Clawtopsy posted:

for sure but i think trying to hype something with ironic cringe when you’re a 41 year old man is unironic cringe instead
Yeah, especially the characters looking like something from a fanfic. Again, it’s likely intentional, but I feel like sbahj really tapped that low-effort webcomic feel. I dunno if there’s suddenly a plague of bad visual novels, but it’s not something I’m demanding be taken down a peg.

I dunno, given that a chunk of the thing was just a gag, it’s hard to tell how much of this is even real.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

That's more like it

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Plom Bar posted:

Looks dope

:agreed:

Anyways I'm up to Act 6 of my Homestuck reread and it's incredible how much of this thing I'd just forgotten. Gamzee going nuts, for example, was legitimately tense because I had no idea how that situation would actually resolve itself beyond Gamzee getting away somehow and certain characters not dying (lmao at the ten page Karkat shussh btw). Also the death of flash hasn't been kind to the archives. There many, many pages where you previously got to interact with the strip or even play a mini video game that are now basically YouTube let's plays. It's a real bummer because that interactivity is one of the things that made Homestuck so unique.

Overall I'd say that while parts 1-3 weren't bad per se they are are a bit slow compared to after Hussie stops taking suggestions from the audience. Stuff like Stylatex hijinks are fun up to a point but get old when you're waiting for the plot to get going. The exiles and the Midnight Crew intermission also basically grind the plot to a halt when they come up since they're basically random dicking around for hundreds of pages with minimal real character moments or story progression.The pacing picks up considerably after act 3 but then writing gets so dense that it feels like you're glossing over a ton of stuff to get to the important bits. I'd really have liked to see more of Jade and Karkat breeding frogs for example or the kids exploring the nooks and crannies of their world. Again, it's not ~bad~ really, there are some amazing bits of storytelling here (Vriska for example is written so well that she's most people's favorite character despite being an irredeemable monster with the blood of literally thousands on her hands). I just think the existing material could have been expanded upon a bit. Onward to Act 6!

Oh! And I started playing Friendsim and Pesterquest. Friendsim is... adequate I guess, but Pesterquest is great. I just broke Dave and it's legit one of the funniest things in Homestuck.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I'm sure D Clussie will have no affect on the story outside of t he Narrative for sure

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGlWQEvAMgZ/

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
Somehow I missed the emptied cans of cat food and cat tree the last time I saw that instagram post. Hard times for D Clussie, I guess? And/or he's a were-catboy

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

mmmmalo posted:

Somehow I missed the emptied cans of cat food and cat tree the last time I saw that instagram post. Hard times for D Clussie, I guess? And/or he's a were-catboy

Those belong to Gcatavrosprite, he escaped to the real world to avoid having to be in the epilogues.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Clawtopsy posted:

It's one thing not to like it, but self-indulgent art that is stylistically consistent with previous output shouldn't have to stop coming out just because the artist crossed an arbitrary age threshold. Calling it cringe because of that specifically is a bit much.

You can just say you think it's kind of poo poo and that's a take I respect.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

if van gogh produced 1000 variants of his self portrait from ages 20-60 instead of trying sunflowers or starry nights thatd be cringe too and hussie is no van gogh

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

actually magritte’s not a pipe is a better example here except every subsequent painting is not a sandwich, not a teacup, not a window, etc

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
That would own. I wouldn't go out of my way to say he was one of the greats, but I would go "Oh poo poo it's the self-portrait guy what was going on with that dude" and respect the guy's moxie for sticking to a bit

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Well, I'm game.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Clawtopsy posted:

if van gogh produced 1000 variants of his self portrait from ages 20-60 instead of trying sunflowers or starry nights thatd be cringe too and hussie is no van gogh

Lmao

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm interested.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Nina posted:

That would own. I wouldn't go out of my way to say he was one of the greats, but I would go "Oh poo poo it's the self-portrait guy what was going on with that dude" and respect the guy's moxie for sticking to a bit

You don't have to worry about any of this, he is at peace with these "water is wet" reactions

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The pixels are pixelly, the clown is cringe...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I was struck, seeing real Hussie art, by now nice the Homestuck2 art is. It never has Hussie-style denial of prettiness.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, that's true. Hussie's style is round but never soft, if that makes sense. A lot of proportions and ratios are pushed to the point of discomfort. A lot of the artists who've taken on Homestuck as a job take a more conventional approach to that style, where the characters become more pillowy and gentle-looking.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

One thing is for certain, a game that's composed of assets like these will never be in development hell like the others. As a vehicle for good writing, it will hold up just fine

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I'm looking forward to more Plazmataz collaborating if that trailer is any indication. We Are All Satellites might be my favorite album he composed.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Update

An otherwise good update ruined by Calliope. Bad update.

Alitur
Jan 10, 2019
So, like, it is definitely not Vriska which gets them out of black hole, right?
It has to be June coming out, right?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I guess at least there’s an overarching goal now, instead of the two continuities doing their own thing?

The June thing feels like it’s going to be either shoehorned in or progress too quickly. I don’t recall any prior gender issues with John, so while it makes sense for Roxy to bring it up at some point (having a transgender alternate self), it feels a bit out of left-field to bring it up in that particular conversation unless I missed something in the update. I don’t how well John will be handled since a fan edict doesn’t exactly allow for graceful plot integration.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Calliope has full cheeks instead of swirls now, and no ring of life. Not sure if this is just an art error or something worth taking note of.

Also, we can all agree that the the thing Calliope has under that curtain is the Cherub portal from Hiveswap, Right? Like, that's super obvious: https://mspaintadventures.fandom.com/wiki/Cherub_portal

And, by extension, we now also know what Dirk is hiding under his own curtain (remember that?): https://www.homestuck2.com/story/28

Man, a year and a half in and the plot has almost started! Seriously, not to be a dick but it feels like a lot of bullshit could have been cut to get to this point sooner. Like, start your story here.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

I guess at least there’s an overarching goal now, instead of the two continuities doing their own thing?

The June thing feels like it’s going to be either shoehorned in or progress too quickly. I don’t recall any prior gender issues with John, so while it makes sense for Roxy to bring it up at some point (having a transgender alternate self), it feels a bit out of left-field to bring it up in that particular conversation unless I missed something in the update. I don’t how well John will be handled since a fan edict doesn’t exactly allow for graceful plot integration.

It’s writing starting with the goal and working backwards.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Man, a year and a half in and the plot has almost started! Seriously, not to be a dick but it feels like a lot of bullshit could have been cut to get to this point sooner. Like, start your story here.

It's a little obnoxious how knowingly meta it is to be calling it the "plot point" and also how it supposedly hinges on Vriska again.

idk who or what "June" is tho

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Roxy saying "John i hurried you up so Callie's long and boring infodump could be even more long and boring, i love Callie" actually hurt me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Calliope has full cheeks instead of swirls now, and no ring of life. Not sure if this is just an art error or something worth taking note of.

Also, we can all agree that the the thing Calliope has under that curtain is the Cherub portal from Hiveswap, Right? Like, that's super obvious: https://mspaintadventures.fandom.com/wiki/Cherub_portal

And, by extension, we now also know what Dirk is hiding under his own curtain (remember that?): https://www.homestuck2.com/story/28

Ooh, nice catch! Thanks.

Some pages on homestuck.com are still not converted out of flash and in five days will cease to exist entirely. https://www.homestuck.com/story/1656