Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Lake of Methane posted:

Which altitudes are voiced ("Mode 6") is a configurable option on the GPWS. All GPWS voice callouts and other audio are generated from the LRU unless you're flying something new and fancy.

A CL600 should be able to do all the normal callouts if some pins are reprogrammed on the LRU.

This is what I was hoping, considering I’d been using a similar GPWS prior. Hearing the calls every 10 under 50 is nice when learning a new type.

We have some avionics work coming up for a big fat FANS upgrade and putting the refuel controller back to :patriot: units. I’ll see what other comfort tweaks they can make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

Rolo posted:

This is what I was hoping, considering I’d been using a similar GPWS prior. Hearing the calls every 10 under 50 is nice when learning a new type.

We have some avionics work coming up for a big fat FANS upgrade and putting the refuel controller back to :patriot: units. I’ll see what other comfort tweaks they can make.

I'm pretty sure the Flight Director is also operator configurable from crosshairs to gullwing if you don't like the current setup. I switched from a CRJ operator that had the crosshairs to one that has the gullwing and I hate it. So, so much...

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah we covered that one in initial. I’m used to the “V bars” and can’t see myself changing. Primacy is a hell of a thing.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I went from wings to crosshairs and I don’t really care for it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Ohio has just unveiled their new license plate and aside from general ugliness they've made a fairly significant aviation-related mistake.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
They’re just baiting us into paying attention to Ohio, just carry on and don’t stare.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

wolrah posted:

Ohio has just unveiled their new license plate and aside from general ugliness they've made a fairly significant aviation-related mistake.

:laffo:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rolo posted:

They’re just baiting us into paying attention to Ohio, just carry on and don’t stare.
I'm stuck living here for now, so I might end up having to put this thing on my car at some point.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

wolrah posted:

I'm stuck living here for now, so I might end up having to put this thing on my car at some point.

Get a custom tag like JK NC LOL

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

wolrah posted:

It's jizzing the banner

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Rolo posted:

loving poetry

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I wouldn’t call myself a proud man, we’re in the news a lot for the dumbest things but you do not mess with my state’s aviation history or vinegar-based barbecue.

:toughguy:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

…or vinegar-based barbecue.

:hmmyes:

Now I want Dixie Pig for lunch.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Rolo posted:

I wouldn’t call myself a proud man, we’re in the news a lot for the dumbest things but you do not mess with my state’s aviation history or vinegar-based barbecue.

:emptyquote:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rolo posted:

Good one.

Coincidentally I already have a nerdy custom plate in a 2+2+3 format:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lmao @ the backwards flyer license plate.

I have always enjoyed how both Ohio ("birthplace of aviation") and North Carolina ("first in flight") try to take credit for the Wright brothers.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

vessbot posted:

By 'calls' he meant the helpful ones that tell you how high you are off the ground for general awaress (1000, 500), and pre-flare and flare help (50, 40, 30...). Other than having those, RA uses are:

- TAWS/GPWS (as you said)
- "are we flying?" input to other systems (arming ground spoilers, anti-skid, maybe auto brakes? I dunno) as KodiakRS said
- height display (and "minimums" call) for Cat II/III approaches, which need more precision than the barometric-based Cat I

Yeah, I'm intimately familiar with RA callouts. What I don't understand is why have a RA system and not have the callouts activated in some useful way. I'm not aware of a way to use visual cues from a RA gauge to get sub-Cat I approach credit - only if the RA 100 and 50ft audio calls are available. Can't use baro callouts for mins below Cat I.

Maybe the calls annoyed somebody who had the aircraft and they programmed them off. Just seems weird.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

ausgezeichnet posted:

Yeah, I'm intimately familiar with RA callouts. What I don't understand is why have a RA system and not have the callouts activated in some useful way. I'm not aware of a way to use visual cues from a RA gauge to get sub-Cat I approach credit - only if the RA 100 and 50ft audio calls are available. Can't use baro callouts for mins below Cat I.

Maybe the calls annoyed somebody who had the aircraft and they programmed them off. Just seems weird.

Whims of previous owner is probably the explanation. As for the callouts, I think the numerical callouts and the "minimums" callout are separately enable-able (even though they're both part of mode 6). But this is based off of suggestive language from our manual, which is written by our company and paraphrased from the manufacturer's manual... so, not that reliable for in-the-weeds details like this one.

However, neither callout is required for Cat II (at least not for us, understanding that this is the type of thing that can vary from company to company). So without them, you read the gauge and announce "minimums" when it shows we're at minimums, like back in the day when airplanes didn't talk, sex was safe, and flying was dangerous.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 21, 2021

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

wolrah posted:

Good one.

Coincidentally I already have a nerdy custom plate in a 2+2+3 format:

One of my favs that still gives me a warm smile:

AMP X OHM

And the car was a.... Chevy Volt

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

vessbot posted:

Whims of previous owner is probably the explanation. As for the callouts, I think the numerical callouts and the "minimums" callout are separately enable-able (even though they're both part of mode 6). But this is based off of suggestive language from our manual, which is written by our company and paraphrased from the manufacturer's manual... so, not that reliable for in-the-weeds details like this one.

This is something I've been thinking of asking. What kind are the manuals from airlines and how do they differ from the standard manufacturer manuals?

This occasionally comes up in Air Crash Investigation where the airliner's manual is found somehow lacking and the concept has always sounded suspect to me. How many airliners have the resources and competence to improve over the manufacturer. Maybe the airline could do additions related to their operations as long as they don't alter a single comma from the manufacturer, but even then I would want an approval from the manufacturer.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Airline manuals are all approved by the FAA, it’s quite the process.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Saukkis posted:

This is something I've been thinking of asking. What kind are the manuals from airlines and how do they differ from the standard manufacturer manuals?

I'm not sure what the exact procedure for writing a new manual is, but for something like a checklist or anything else involving the airplane, I believe the airline starts with something from the manufacturer, makes whatever changes they want/need to, then send it to the FAA for approval. This usually involves a lot of back-and-forth, to the point where ever minor revisions can take months to get approved, so airlines often combine a bunch of small changes into a single revision to try and streamline things a bit.

Even with all that, mistakes still slip through, since we've revised our emergency checklists a couple of times in the last few years after realizing that some unclear and/or too specific wording could lead to pilots running either the wrong checklist or not starting a follow-up checklist in some situations.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 22, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
lol they made the news.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
No posts in so long! I finally got my military competency commercial and instructor quals in. The FSDO (Birmingham, AL) is worthless. Doesn’t allow in person appointments, wouldn’t take remote appointments. Felt dumb paying a DPE money but he was super helpful when said FSDO then messed up most of my certificates. I don’t know how it’s supposed to work but despite being a class of aircraft, the FSDO is absolutely baffled by what the Powered Lift aircraft are. I got Commercial ASEL/AMEL/Rotorcraft Helicopter/Powered lift, IR Airplane/Powered Lift, CFI ASE/PL, CFII Airplane/PL.

And sounds like the big boys are hiring big time now too! All’s that’s left is to get my ATP, which I’ll hopefully do in January!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bob A Feet posted:

I don’t know how it’s supposed to work but despite being a class of aircraft, the FSDO is absolutely baffled by what the Powered Lift aircraft are.

My surprise level is zero.

Grats on getting it sorted out!

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I know I entered this thread in the summer full of unrealistic zeal and optimism, but I thought I'd check back and just say I had my first solo last night and weather permitting should wrap up a PPL before we reach 2022. Flying is rad and fun and I'm looking forward to learning more.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Congrats on the solo :cheers:

You’ll never forget that feeling.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:cheers: Congratulations! You've accomplished something that only a tiny fraction of people ever have. About one in five hundred Americans and far less than that worldwide.

I clearly remember the feeling of looking over as I was taxiing to the runway on my first solo and seeing an empty seat beside me. Incredible

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Congrats on the Solo! I love solo flights and wish I did more of them.

Guys! I just had a student pass a Checkride today, which is always nice and good, but she was checkride endorsement #50. I'm at 90% pass rate. :toot:

I hope to not have to endorse anyone for a very long time.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Congrats!!!

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Ritual thread update:

I’m an ATP :D :toot: :toot:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ll drink to that

because I’m a pilot and I started drinking 5 hours ago

:cheers:

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Wooo congrats! :toot:

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=942KXXmMJdY

Apparently there is actually something to the idea of certain 5G bands interfering with radar altimeters (because radar altimeters are broken garbage that can't reject a signal that's 200MHz away from their pass band, and the FCC/telcos are hoping that they can force aviation to update their certificated garbage, lol).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

How in the world is that lovely pass band allowed for something safety critical?

Like, the FCC rules for a band include the required falloff for spurious emissions - they basically are telling you what the filter is supposed to be!

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 27, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

How in the world is that lovely pass band allowed for something safety critical?

Like, the FCC rules for a band include the required falloff for spurious emissions - they basically are telling you what the filter is supposed to be!

The radar altimeters in use today were probably designed what, thirty or forty years ago? This ~7cm wavelength was a whole lot quieter back then.

I am curious to know what the FCC's expectations were for the band back when they first opened it to radar altimeter use. Have the altimeters always been blatantly out of spec and they've just gotten away with it serendipitously, or has the FCC changed its rules as they've tried to cram more and more energy into the spectrum?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
219'ing in here. I'm not sure what the feedline situation looks like for these altimeters but getting a bandpass filter in line should be very doable.
Looks like this one was even purpose built for just that, given the freq range.

https://www.rfecho.com/product/cavity-band-pass-obp-4300-200/

Look at the filter skirts on that sonofabitch. Ain't nothin gettin through on the sides of that.
Pricing is probably $LOL but it's not like one is homebrewing something like it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My buddy was waiting for a job in my city making mid 100’s to do corporate flying for a finicky person mixed with on-call 135. He just got the notice that it was going to be a couple more months before the job existed and he’s bummed.

He already quit his current job, which he hates so much, because he has an offer from American in his back pocket just in case. Am I nuts for wanting to call him and say “go to American either way what the hell are you even thinking?” We already live in Charlotte he’s literally 15m from base. It seems like the easiest decision ever to make.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

My buddy was waiting for a job in my city making mid 100’s to do corporate flying for a finicky person mixed with on-call 135. He just got the notice that it was going to be a couple more months before the job existed and he’s bummed.

He already quit his current job, which he hates so much, because he has an offer from American in his back pocket just in case. Am I nuts for wanting to call him and say “go to American either way what the hell are you even thinking?” We already live in Charlotte he’s literally 15m from base. It seems like the easiest decision ever to make.

I can’t imagine turning down a mainline offer in this market. Get on that seniority list ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Rolo posted:

Your friend is retarded. I’d work for whatever major hired me. Especially already living in one of their bases.