Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

mA posted:

For people saying bots weren't a factor, this account is full of tweets bragging about using bots to snag cards today https://twitter.com/BounceAlerts

Ya this account has been posting transaction id's from Digital Rivers(nvidia store) every few minutes. So somehow they are adding cards to cart and getting out. I have only been able to add it to cart on Nvidia uk. Haven't seen buy option in Nvidia US yet.

Amazon.ca are basically accepting backorders for MSI Ventus don't know how big the waiting list is though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I played around with the new performance overlay in GFE, it's a good start but not quite there yet.

You can change the voltage, power/temp limits and do automatic tuning, but you can't manually set the clocks or a custom fan curve yet.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

gently caress you too nvidia

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I really want to see NVidia mass-cancel these orders and do it again next week with proper measures in place. It’d suck for all three of the people who got legit orders again but I’m sure they’d still be able to appreciate the botter tears it would cause.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

mA posted:

For people saying bots weren't a factor, this account is full of tweets bragging about using bots to snag cards today https://twitter.com/BounceAlerts

bOtS aReNt An IsSuE iTs A pApEr LaUnCh

:sees a post with 42 confirmation emails from Nvidia:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I mean, the right answer was to do your own botting, was it not?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Between all the :f5: talk, the Nvidia Broadcast App is available for download now.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I don't even get how a lot of these botters expect to receive their orders. Like one dude got 30 confirmation emails to the same email address, what the poo poo? And what are these people paying with, 30 different credit cards?

I probably just don't get some way they're doing it I guess, seems super easy to track on paper.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Just woke up, see 300 new posts. Was I correct in that absolutely no one in the thread would manage to obtain one of the ~10 cards in existence worldwide?

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

Zero VGS posted:

Just woke up, see 300 new posts. Was I correct in that absolutely no one in the thread world manage to obtain one of the ~10 cards in existence worldwide?

pretty much

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Actually several people seem to have got one.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
sure, I guess a 0.01% hit rate isnt technically 0 m8

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Newegg says they printed the shipping label for mine.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Taima posted:

Actually several people seem to have got one.

And several more seem to have gotten thirty, if you stretch the definition of “people” to include botnets.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Taima posted:

I don't even get how a lot of these botters expect to receive their orders. Like one dude got 30 confirmation emails to the same email address, what the poo poo? And what are these people paying with, 30 different credit cards?

I probably just don't get some way they're doing it I guess, seems super easy to track on paper.

I imagine its email forwarding and PO boxes.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Zero VGS posted:

no one in the thread would manage to obtain one

I'm not sure my country managed to obtain one.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
apparently the "add to cart" link got leaked and this one discord group bought the whole stock.

https://twitter.com/shocked_io/status/1306622465741815812

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Some Goon posted:

I mean, the right answer was to do your own botting, was it not?

no some goon this was not the right answer

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Taima posted:

Could be different CCs plus different emails that forward to one email.

But let’s be real. Nvidia doesn’t give a poo poo if it’s all to the same CC and email. They’ll ship at 30 to that one address without a second glance. All they give a gently caress about is they got their money.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

axeil posted:

apparently the "add to cart" link got leaked and this one discord group bought the whole stock.

All the BounceAlert and Shockedio and whatever else bot is probably also just a scam to try and get people subbed. A lot of these screenshots could be fake as gently caress too :shrug:

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Clinging desperately to the hope that the amazon msi ventus order doesnt get canceled

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So loving pissed at newegg it seems they are shipping some of the accidental orders from yesterday. But they said mine is voided, I'll try to contact them but they are so freaking slow.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Could just be advertising for that $75/month bot with spoofed screenshots. If that's not the case then fair play to them I guess. Nvidia is the one that decided not to have any anti-botting protection. Not like it makes a difference to them anyway.

It's a shame that a bunch of scalpers/miners get a pay day because Nvidia doesn't give a gently caress but everyone here who wants one should be able to get one eventually for retail prices.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Taima posted:

You're assuming they're doing any sort of filtering or tracking whatsoever.

I mean, yeah, this sort of thing isn't terribly hard to catch if you're watching for it.

But, given the lack of even a captcha, it would seem that NVidia's entire strategy was just to ask people nicely to not be assholes, with predictable results.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

axeil posted:

https://twitter.com/shocked_io/status/1306622465741815812

That’s super hosed up if true.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

People should focus their ire on Nvidia tbh. Bots are well known to exist, and it's a highly sought after, limited stock product that will sell for considerable overs on eBay, etc. You can take it as read that people will be motivated to get as many as they can.

They didn't implement anything on their website to counter it because they couldn't give a poo poo about end users, really. Hell, a reCaptcha would've taken like 5 minutes to set up.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

quote:

Dear Theophany,

Thank you for your recent order with CCL Computers (3975570). We have experienced an overwhelming amount of orders in a very short period of time for the newly-launched GeForce RTX 30 Series graphics cards. As a result, we do not currently have stock available to allocate to your order. Please accept our most sincere apologies; we do understand how disappointing and frustrating this is. This would never normally happen but at one point we had over 100,000 visitors to the site and were receiving hundreds of orders per minute.
Why did we oversell?

Even though our website checks stock levels close to real-time, the unprecedented nature of the launch meant that our system received more orders than could be updated quickly enough, resulting in stock being oversold. It can take up to a minute for an order to be processed and stock levels to be updated and during the peak of the launch we were getting hundreds of orders per minute.

I have a confirmation email, will I get my order?

We are working hard to process orders to ensure available stock is allocated on a "first come, first served" basis. Unfortunately, only some orders can be fulfilled from current stock even though at the time of placing the order the stock showed as available. We are working closely with NVIDIA and the card manufacturers and in the coming weeks we will have more stock available.

Can I cancel my order and get a refund?

Absolutely! We are working to ensure that customers who wish to cancel their orders can receive a refund as quickly as possible. However, due to the high demand for this product and stock being in short supply across all retailers and distribution hubs, you may choose to keep your order open and await our next allocation instead.
Again we are very sorry that this has happened. If you do wish to cancel your order, you can do this by replying to this email and you will be refunded very promptly.

Kind regards,
CCL Computers

ahahahahahaaaaa you bet your fuckin asses I'm calling in a refund first thing tomorrow. Get hosed.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

They voided my first one but not the second I was able to get through later.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I went to Canada Computers during my lunch break and I open palm slammed my credit card for an ROG STRIX. I'm one of 18 people in the country that did this and the only one in my local store. Full retail price deposit.
I don't give a gently caress I refuse to sit around waiting in line and F5ing websites. Now I at least have a slot for whenever their shipment arrives.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Ordered an ASUS TUF from alternate.nl, no idea when I'll get it, will email when things calm down tomorrow to see when they expect to get stock and probably cancel if it's far away.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

reddit posted:

I just got off the phone with the CEO of NVIDIA. He told me that he's never seen anything like this before and that it turns out that it was actually NVIDIA's AI who purchased all of the cards.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

selling a NVIDIA BeForce Botting Card that uses tensor cores to solve the Add To Cart link faster than any bot

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Got off the phone with Newegg after my voided order. They are saying restock window is September 28 till last week of October. So no specific dates.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ijyt posted:

All the BounceAlert and Shockedio and whatever else bot is probably also just a scam to try and get people subbed. A lot of these screenshots could be fake as gently caress too :shrug:

These things are called "cook groups" (to "cook" is to basically check out lots whatever you're trying to resell; it's a dumb term) and they charge anywhere from $15-60 a month depending on how limited their invites are. Typically they have a member cap in Discord and then sell invites at drop times which sell out in seconds. They usually make deals with bot makers from time to time to sell numbers of licenses which are either raffled or, again, dropped at a given time so that a few hundred members try to fight to check out a bot license which in and of itself is usually a couple hundred dollars or more. Those bots resell for anywhere from $300-5000 depending on reputation and recent success.

I am not making an ounce of this up.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The remaining kind of funny mystery is that as far as anyone knows, best buy just never put their FE stock on sale at all.

Wonder how that's going to play out. Maybe still coming? Maybe not? Tune in on the next episode of dragonball z

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Theophany posted:

ahahahahahaaaaa you bet your fuckin asses I'm calling in a refund first thing tomorrow. Get hosed.

Oh dear, my order was with CCL too. I guess I have this to look forward to as well!

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
This just means I have more time to evaluate AIB cards like a responsible consumer instead of slamming buy on an FE like I did for the 1080Ti

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

I went to Canada Computers during my lunch break and I open palm slammed my credit card for an ROG STRIX. I'm one of 18 people in the country that did this and the only one in my local store. Full retail price deposit.
I don't give a gently caress I refuse to sit around waiting in line and F5ing websites. Now I at least have a slot for whenever their shipment arrives.

This is the way.

Need to find an option in the USA.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Taima posted:

The remaining kind of funny mystery is that as far as anyone knows, best buy just never put their FE stock on sale at all.

Wonder how that's going to play out. Maybe still coming? Maybe not? Tune in on the next episode of dragonball z

I bet those were botted out too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
uh there's one up on amazon.co.uk for £1,188.62

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08JCKYYL8/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=3080&qid=1600360542&sr=8-1