Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jwang
Mar 31, 2013

WickedHate posted:

I watched Oreimo too and I guess I feel like you do with Mahouka. It wasn't really interesting and had dull plots and characters. Mahouka does those things a lot better.

I think the appropriate response is already given:

The Sandman posted:

We've already established that your taste is objectively poo poo. There's no need to reaffirm it for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

WickedHate posted:

I watched Oreimo too and I guess I feel like you do with Mahouka. It wasn't really interesting and had dull plots and characters. Mahouka does those things a lot better.

Better in what way?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

boredsatellite posted:

Better in what way?

Better depth and motivation, a more engaging story that feels more real then the story in Oreimo, and a better idea of what it wants to be and do.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

WickedHate posted:

Better depth and motivation, a more engaging story that feels more real then the story in Oreimo, and a better idea of what it wants to be and do.

The only "depth" here is exactly how far into her vagina Cersei wants Blando's dick to go, the story is a pile of bullshit wrapped in racism and abysmal writing, and the latter is only true in so far as that there's nowhere for this so-called story to go.

Let me put it this way: James Patterson and Stephanie Meyer combined would have a hard time writing something less compelling than this dreck.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

WickedHate posted:

I really want to know where you find this "depth" and "motivation". Miyuki's only character point is she's ridiculously obsessed with her brother, which also provides all her motivation. Tatsuya's only character point is that he's also obsessed with his sibling, though not to the same degree. As above, his motivation is also his obsession. I just summed up all you need to know about the two main characters, outside of their Deus Ex Machina powers that obliterates everything in sight. As for a more "real" story than Oreimo, first of all this is a techno-magic science fiction world, and second of all I seriously doubt you'll ever be able to meet a real person that can be summed up as quick as I've summed up the two main characters. I will give you that the story has a better idea of it wants to be and do: be as nationalist as gently caress and show that the author's opinion is superior to anyone else's via projection onto Gary Stu and his hax powers. All this means though is that the writer is terrible and can't be bothered to put in real plot development outside of "evil forces not in line with my opinions causes problems, proceed to annihilate them with god powers and get all their women."

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

WickedHate posted:

seriously dude where the hell are you getting the depth and engaging part from this show? How is this even physically possible to be engaging?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

jwang posted:

I really want to know where you find this "depth" and "motivation". Miyuki's only character point is she's ridiculously obsessed with her brother, which also provides all her motivation. Tatsuya's only character point is that he's also obsessed with his sibling, though not to the same degree. As above, his motivation is also his obsession. I just summed up all you need to know about the two main characters, outside of their Deus Ex Machina powers that obliterates everything in sight.

Miyuki does obsess on her brother to a slightly unhealthy degree, but when I watch the show she talks and acts like someone who could actually exist. Tatsuya has more character in how he deals with life while having his emotions engineered away by the family.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I guess when you consider just how many people exist in the world, there is probably a girl somewhere on Earth who would commit acts of violence just because someone looks at her brother funny.

I think there are enough sociopaths that one of them could fit that criteria after all :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

jwang posted:

I really want to know where you find this "depth" and "motivation". Miyuki's only character point is she's ridiculously obsessed with her brother, which also provides all her motivation. Tatsuya's only character point is that he's also obsessed with his sibling, though not to the same degree. As above, his motivation is also his obsession. I just summed up all you need to know about the two main characters, outside of their Deus Ex Machina powers that obliterates everything in sight. As for a more "real" story than Oreimo, first of all this is a techno-magic science fiction world, and second of all I seriously doubt you'll ever be able to meet a real person that can be summed up as quick as I've summed up the two main characters. I will give you that the story has a better idea of it wants to be and do: be as nationalist as gently caress and show that the author's opinion is superior to anyone else's via projection onto Gary Stu and his hax powers. All this means though is that the writer is terrible and can't be bothered to put in real plot development outside of "evil forces not in line with my opinions causes problems, proceed to annihilate them with god powers and get all their women."

Get their women? This is a setting where having a child with anything but another magical thoroughbred is essentially miscegenation and the chinese are unequivocally inferior to any japanese. The chinese have an insatiable hunger for genetically pure japanese women, but the reverse isn't true here. Also, adding any chinese women to Woody's harem would require including a chinese character whose sole purpose in life isn't bringing down glorious nippon.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

Get their women? This is a setting where having a child with anything but another magical thoroughbred is essentially miscegenation and the chinese are unequivocally inferior to any japanese. The chinese have an insatiable hunger for genetically pure japanese women, but the reverse isn't true here. Also, adding any chinese women to Woody's harem would require including a chinese character whose sole purpose in life isn't bringing down glorious nippon.

Do you know if any non-evil Chinese characters actually show up later in the novels? Even if there were a couple sympathetic characters it still wouldn't really offset everything else, but god drat if it wouldn't be especially egregious if there literally isn't a single non-evil/stupid Chinese character in this show where China - a country of more than a billion people - has such a prominent role. Even the worst American right-wing fiction will usually have some Iraqi or something who is part of a spec-ops team or whatever.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Quick, someone describe the main characters to me without mentioning their jobs, appearance, or powers.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

paragon1 posted:

Quick, someone describe the main characters to me without mentioning their jobs, appearance, or powers.

Tatsuya is emotionally distent and has a troubled past that affects how he interacts with others now, and Miyuki is a sweet girl who's unhealthily dependent on him. Mizuki is shy and introverted, Erika is outgoing and clever.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Tatsuya is emotionally distent and has a troubled past that affects how he interacts with others now, and Miyuki is a sweet girl who's unhealthily dependent on him. Mizuki is shy and introverted, Erika is outgoing and clever.

That's not much of a description. Could you try something at least 4x the length?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
By what stretch of the imagination is Miyuki "sweet." The girl nearly goes homicidal sitting in a bus thinking about how her brother is being moderately inconvenienced by the heat.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The MC lets me imagine a universe where I'm not a complete loser and the sister makes me rock hard.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Harime Nui posted:

By what stretch of the imagination is Miyuki "sweet." The girl nearly goes homicidal sitting in a bus thinking about how her brother is being moderately inconvenienced by the heat.

I said she's overly dependent on him. Otherwise, yeah, I'd describe her as sweet. She's kind and cares about people.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

As far as I can tell, there's no Chinese women who want to be in Woody's harem, but from the images and plot summaries of some of the later volumes, it looks like an American is coming over for exchange studies, and obviously will end up in the harem because that's how it goes. Throw in something about America trying to reclaim their defector, Woody blowing up US troops, and there you go, "beat them up and get all their women."

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
Actually while she does join the harem to an extent, she almost does us all a favour and nearly kills him. Of course, because the USA followed the same stupid tactics/training/enlistment rulebook as all anime nations do, because she's a naive teenager she gets somewhat shocked when she finds out that even though she used a loving magic laser cannon/railgun to blow off one of his arms he could regrow it so she got distracted and failed to disintegrate him when he refused to surrender. Alas.

Also because it is mandatory she is like, a quarter Japanese and related to Mr No-Eyes-Elder from the latest episode. Because how else could she get superior magic skills and a superpowered illusion spell without being related to Japan?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I started reading the light novels since the show was taking too long to go anywhere. Ahahaha, holy poo poo. And to think I once believed Black Bullet's protagonist was in the running for 'Biggest Mary Sue of the Season.' Now that I've finished the Yokohama arc, have I seen the last of ~*Onii-samaaa*~ pulling new powers out of his rear end? Because I like the setting, it's conception of magic, and that the female characters so far are portrayed as equally capable (not compared to Tatsuya the Great and Terrible, of course, but in general). On the other hand, the guy's one miracle away from being a clone of Jesus Christ.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
This thread has way too many unmarked spoilers. I realize it's a silly, silly show, with a ridiculous plot, but some of us are watching the anime episode by episode, and we'd like to be able to read the thread without knowing every single thing that happens six seasons from now. Stop assuming everyone else read the stupid books, please.

Edit: Spoiler tags would be fine, obviously.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 9, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

darkgray posted:

This thread has way too many unmarked spoilers. I realize it's a silly, silly show, with a ridiculous plot, but some of us are watching the anime episode by episode, and we'd like to be able to read the thread without knowing every single thing that happens six seasons from now. Stop assuming everyone else read the stupid books, please.

I would have said something like this but I didn't think anyone would listen to me.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
This show does not deserve the dignity of the spoiler tag.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

paragon1 posted:

Gotta ignore their role in the story too with this exercise!

At which point I uh.....

Tatsuya is....

He is......

Well, I can definitely say with complete certainty that he exists in the setting.

Oh, I guess he's a condescending prick. But not the interesting kind.

And his sister...I literally can't say anything about her character other than that she wants her brother to bone her, and that's all she can ever think about. And heck that sort of character isn't inherently terrible but if you compare her to say, Nanami from Utena, there's a lot more to her character than just being obsessed with her brother!

Srice fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 9, 2014

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

darkgray posted:

That's because those aren't spoilers, they're warnings.

That you fail to heed them is your own concern.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Maybe everyone could just use spoiler tags anyway.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rangpur posted:

I started reading the light novels since the show was taking too long to go anywhere. Ahahaha, holy poo poo. And to think I once believed Black Bullet's protagonist was in the running for 'Biggest Mary Sue of the Season.' Now that I've finished the Yokohama arc, have I seen the last of ~*Onii-samaaa*~ pulling new powers out of his rear end? Because I like the setting, it's conception of magic, and that the female characters so far are portrayed as equally capable (not compared to Tatsuya the Great and Terrible, of course, but in general). On the other hand, the guy's one miracle away from being a clone of Jesus Christ.

The thing is, if you want a show that has competent female characters (actually over represented as a whole compared to male characters), cool magical powers, interesting setting, great animation/music and above all else fantastic characters in general you can always watch Yozakura. It might have a the occasional pantie shot but it has none of the incest, rampant nationalism, ill founded adoration for the rich or blatantly over powered characters. Instead it has a pretty uplifting story about trusting people despite their differences, working together for the common good and that deep down inside everyone has some good in them. (however misguided their actions might be)

So why pick Mahouka unless you want the incest, rampant nationalism, ill founded adoration for the rich or blatantly overpowered characters :v:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So why pick Mahouka unless you want the incest, rampant nationalism, ill founded adoration for the rich or blatantly overpowered characters :v:

There's a lot of good things besides that stuff. Cool magic, neat and interesting characters, relationships, and interactions, and an engaging plotline and setting.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

WickedHate posted:

There's a lot of good things besides that stuff. Cool magic, neat and interesting characters, relationships, and interactions, and an engaging plotline and setting.

What kinda of parallel world are you living in I wonder

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Might as well post your MAL account so we can pick apart your terrible questionable taste in anime. That is if you even have a MAL account. :smug:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Edward IV posted:

Might as well post your MAL account so we can pick apart your terrible questionable taste in anime. That is if you even have a MAL account. :smug:

Nope, though pretty much all the other anime I'm into is well liked, except for maybe Kyokai no Kanata. I guess Mahouka is too though, outside of this subforum.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Nope, though pretty much all the other anime I'm into is well liked, except for maybe Kyokai no Kanata. I guess Mahouka is too though, outside of this subforum.

Just cause it's popular doesn't mean it's good. This is doubly true with anime, where a lot of stuff is popular because it's pandering/fetishistic.

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
10th episode was probably my favorite despite little happening. I liked how Erika and Mikihiko were slowly being fleshed out as characters via dialogue/monologues.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Counterpoint to the whole fleshed out as character thing: I've read 8 volumes of this drek and I can barely remember any of the character's name outside of the nicknames I give them. At least with Korean Webtoons it's because their names are usually ridiculously complex. Here I just don't bother remembering them, period, because of how bland they are. By the way, who are those two again?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The thing is, if you want a show that has competent female characters (actually over represented as a whole compared to male characters), cool magical powers, interesting setting, great animation/music and above all else fantastic characters in general you can always watch Yozakura. It might have a the occasional pantie shot but it has none of the incest, rampant nationalism, ill founded adoration for the rich or blatantly over powered characters. Instead it has a pretty uplifting story about trusting people despite their differences, working together for the common good and that deep down inside everyone has some good in them. (however misguided their actions might be)

I only watched a bit of that but one nice thing about the magical powers in that setting is that most of the people using magic were youkai so that was the entire explanation for their powers. No rambling infodumps on for minutes on end with circular logic that they used an X spell because they needed to do X so they used an X spell.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Genocyber posted:

Just cause it's popular doesn't mean it's good. This is doubly true with anime, where a lot of stuff is popular because it's pandering/fetishistic.

Well, "not hated to such a degree" might be better phrasing. They aren't usually the stuff that provokes the kind of reactions Mahouka does. Though I did try watching I Wanna Be The Strongest In The World, which was definitely in the "no one likes this" camp, but I got bored with it a few episodes in.

MrCinos posted:

10th episode was probably my favorite despite little happening. I liked how Erika and Mikihiko were slowly being fleshed out as characters via dialogue/monologues.

Yeah, those two had good character moments. I do wish Mikihiko could have taken out those people at the end by himself though, and show Tatsuya inspired him to do his best, but Tatsuya ended up involved anyway.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Cool magic, neat and interesting characters, relationships, and interactions, and an engaging plotline and setting.

I'll grant you that the magic could be kind of cool if Tatsuya and Miyuki (and the whole idea of elite magic families who are vastly more powerful than the average person) didn't exist. The fight with the ninja dude in the first episode was kind of cool. But any tension that could exist is gone due to Tatsuya's power.

I honestly can't think of what you're talking about with regard to relationships/interactions, though. What is another show that you think has good relationships/interactions (ideally one that you think is similar to this show)? Regarding Tatsuya, so far they've never really shown him struggling with or being upset about his (faux-)lack of emotions. And regarding Miyuki, I can't really remember anything she's said or done that wasn't related to Tatsuya.

Part of the reason why the response in this thread is both universally negative and interested enough to sustain a thread this long is that most of us remember liking horrendous anime when we were younger, but realize that even then we wouldn't have liked this.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I'll grant you that the magic could be kind of cool if Tatsuya and Miyuki (and the whole idea of elite magic families who are vastly more powerful than the average person) didn't exist. The fight with the ninja dude in the first episode was kind of cool. But any tension that could exist is gone due to Tatsuya's power.

I honestly can't think of what you're talking about with regard to relationships/interactions, though. What is another show that you think has good relationships/interactions (ideally one that you think is similar to this show)? Regarding Tatsuya, so far they've never really shown him struggling with or being upset about his (faux-)lack of emotions. And regarding Miyuki, I can't really remember anything she's said or done that wasn't related to Tatsuya.

Part of the reason why the response in this thread is both universally negative and interested enough to sustain a thread this long is that most of us remember liking horrendous anime when we were younger, but realize that even then we wouldn't have liked this.

Iunno, I think even the magic system at its "best" is still hella dry and comes off like reading a D&D rulebook, but without the actual game to play. But yeah if the main character wasn't automatically invincible to everything that could possibly happen to him, I could imagine that maybe the author would be able to figure out that dang thing called tension even if it would still be littered with lengthy technobabble that's not important in the slightest.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

By that I mean how the characters come together and engage each other, like Tatsuya and Erika's conversation this last episode, Mikhiko meeting Mizuki, or the way Miyuki deals with her feelings for Tatsuya and how Tatsuya goes through life with his condition, and the unique perspective it gives him.

Another show that had characters done well like this was Evangelion, but in a different way due to the nature and themes that were prevalent in it's cast but the "realness" of them was there. Kyokai No Kanata too, in a more similar example.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

WickedHate posted:

By that I mean how the characters come together and engage each other, like Tatsuya and Erika's conversation this last episode, Mikhiko meeting Mizuki, or the way Miyuki deals with her feelings for Tatsuya and how Tatsuya goes through life with his condition, and the unique perspective it gives him.

Another show that had characters done well like this was Evangelion, but in a different way due to the nature and themes that were prevalent in it's cast but the "realness" of them was there. Kyokai No Kanata too, in a more similar example.

Wow, you must be on :catdrugs: or something. You can't even begin comparing Evangelion characters to Mahouka characters, outside of the fact that they're both anime characters. Mahouka characters are far from "real," and if they really are, I would like you to cite volume, chapter, page, and paragraph of when they become "real." At best, they're caricatures of certain archetypes, such as "male power fantasy," "doting/obsessive sibling," "genki girl," and so forth. In contrast, you can probably write a lengthy analysis of each major character in Evangelion, such as Shinji's desire to be accepted while at the same time rejecting close contact with other people, and how it stems from his abandonment issues. You should probably read some more real literature, such as one of those summer reading lists made by NPR, before proclaiming that this is such a great show/light novel with fantastic depth and amazing character and plot developments.

• Locked thread