Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ross Angeles posted:

do people actually take QBR seriously

If it fits my preconceived notions, I'll use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mystic Stylez posted:

For reference, here's the QBR top 10:

1. Russell Wilson · SEA 110.1
2. Andy Dalton · CIN 106.2
3. Carson Palmer · ARI 104.6
4. Tom Brady · NWE 102.2
5. Kirk Cousins · WAS 101.6
6. Drew Brees · NOR 101.0
7. Tyrod Taylor · BUF 99.4
8. Cam Newton · CAR 99.2
9. Matthew Stafford · DET 97.0
10. Alex Smith · KAN 95.4

The thing, though, is Kirk played against NFC East clownball teams (Giants had the worst defense of the NFL against the pass and in yards overall, Cowboys had the fifth worst defense in passing yards, Eagles suffered later in the season with injuries and Chip Kelly), the 2015 Rob Ryan Experience™ (when he passed for 4 TDs-0 Ints), etc, so you gotta account for those when judging his stats and performance. Also, he looked dogshit against the Packers at home. Granted the whole team didn't play well and he had no playoff experience, but still...

Cool, I wasn't aware there was a difference. I don't know how much of a difference 5 points makes but I would be pretty happy with a QB in the top 5. I completely agree that his schedule might make everything a trap and that's why I would prefer to franchise tag him and wait another year to confirm.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Ross Angeles posted:

do people actually take QBR seriously

Total QBR or nuttin'

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm spending my last semester in grad school writing a 50 page masters thesis about how stats don't matter but combine scores do

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
edit: never mind, that was an unnecessary dig at Daltos that didn't advance any conversation

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 16, 2016

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Doltos posted:

Anyone who watched Cousins in college knew he was a pretty smart guy but was limited by his arm. I think he's still limited by his arm but whatever. Smart guys last in the NFL at QB, whether they're backups or starters.

This was actually a huge sticking point I remember from his Gruden camp. He knew pretty much everything mentally and knew exactly what needed done but when Gruden was asking him to zip some 15 yard outs and tight Windows he would go where he needed to but the ball just could not ever get there in time.

There is precedent for guys like him picking up zip with better mechanics though, considering his arm has looked better this year and guys like Brady are average arm strength and velocity drastically augmented by obsessive technique.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

TheGreyGhost posted:

There is precedent for guys like him picking up zip with better mechanics though, considering his arm has looked better this year and guys like Brady are average arm strength and velocity drastically augmented by obsessive technique.

It's amazing how much guys that haven't given up on starting can improve after a few years riding the pine, imo. When McCarron first came out during preseason I almost couldn't recognize his throws or footwork, he threw Manning ducks back in college (of course his shoulder injury could have done that for him)

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Weird comparison since McCarron still sucks.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TheGreyGhost posted:

Brady is a prime example. He absolutely ascended in 2007 to be this do it all unbelievable QB that could put the ball anywhere. I really think it was just him getting used to his mechanics over time.

I also think the mantra of 'you cant teach arm strength' is a little misleading. Throwing a football is all about physics. If you put more torque on the ball the ball will go farther. Torque can be achieved by properly setting your feet, throwing with your entire shoulder complex, and transferring force from your legs to your trunk to your hips to your torso to your arm. It's why midgets like Isaiah Thomas can jack NBA three point shots just as well as guys much taller and bigger than him. Cousins definitely looks like he has more zip on the ball than he did in college (which anyone should have because he was a noodle arm in college)

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I really like Myles Jack :ohdear:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Doltos posted:

I'm spending my last semester in grad school writing a 50 page masters thesis about how stats don't matter but combine scores do

There should be at least ten pages on all purpose yards for scrappy white players.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Bigass Moth posted:

There should be at least ten pages on all purpose yards for scrappy white players.

A Treatise on Danny Woodhead

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Bigass Moth posted:

Basically the argument is that if there is no significance when running a paired t-test between players testing speeds at the combine and metrics produced to qualify for a 'good' career then the difference between players is negligible. If I reach no significance in the statistical testing then I"m going to ascertain that all players are products of their systems and it's instead better to find an algorithm to combine testing to predict how well players fit in certain roles on football teams. I also want to prove that positions in football are vague but that's another paper.

Anyway this is just basically a setup to the real bulk of the paper which is creating sports specific drills in the combine over useless drills. For instance, replacing the bench press with a force plate test because no one in the NFL engages a block using the same mechanics in a bench press. I also think the 40 yard dash should be done with DBs defending after 10 yards.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Cool, I wasn't aware there was a difference. I don't know how much of a difference 5 points makes but I would be pretty happy with a QB in the top 5. I completely agree that his schedule might make everything a trap and that's why I would prefer to franchise tag him and wait another year to confirm.

Also reminder that QBR gives more credence to plays a quarterback makes when is team is behind than it does to plays when his team is ahead.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Blitz7x posted:

I really like Myles Jack :ohdear:

I feel the same way but I don't think he is falling to 14 and I can't see Reggie ever trading up.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

I feel the same way but I don't think he is falling to 14 and I can't see Reggie ever trading up.

Nor should he, this draft is deep in our main need positions and we have a very good chance of grabbing a BPA CB at 14. I also will not be surprised if we trade down.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Draft Carson Wentz!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I hope the Seahawks use every single draft pick on an O-lineman

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Parmesan Basil posted:

Draft Carson Wentz!

gently caress off

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I feel like I've asked this before but how do you all assess secondary players?

I feel like watching game tape never tells a very full story because the camera only ever covers a CB/Safety when they're making a highlight play or getting beat. I can't help but feel that I'm missing the 80% of the game in which they actually played, be it the time their guy was so covered that the QB wouldn't even think of putting the ball over there as well as the times a blown coverage gets overlooked because it wasn't taken advantage of due to a blind passer.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I think nfldraftwatch or something like that has the all-22

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I feel like I've asked this before but how do you all assess secondary players?

I feel like watching game tape never tells a very full story because the camera only ever covers a CB/Safety when they're making a highlight play or getting beat. I can't help but feel that I'm missing the 80% of the game in which they actually played, be it the time their guy was so covered that the QB wouldn't even think of putting the ball over there as well as the times a blown coverage gets overlooked because it wasn't taken advantage of due to a blind passer.

It is pretty hard without All-22 film, but somewhat doable if you know what to look for. Watch the DBs at the moment of the snap, see how they react to the WR's motion, whether their hips turn fast enough to keep up, etc. On zone coverages you can see if they move quick enough to close down a checkdown option or outside running play.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Benne posted:

:agreed: This was Mike Holmgren's big strategy too: draft or sign a QB every year, because you'll never know what happens. He stashed Hasselbeck behind Favre for years before taking him to Seattle, and then Ted Thompson followed this strategy by grooming Aaron Rodgers behind Favre for years.

Personally, I'm ready for teams to go back to the "QBs should sit and learn" philosophy. You can see the bad effects right here in the 2013 draft -- everybody wanted the next Luck/Wilson/RGIII, so guys like EJ Manuel and Geno Smith got drafted way too early and thrown into starting jobs before they were ready, with predictable results. It's a short-sighted strategy that not only kills players' careers, but gets front-office people fired.

You'd think that coaches would want to take the slow approach, for self-preservation if nothing else. Just say "we'll start this QB when we think he's ready, have patience" instead of "oh poo poo gotta save my job LOOK HERE'S A SHINY ROOKIE QB"

I agree but I think it should be a case-by-case evaluation of start or redshirt. Going into the 2014 season, the plan was to redshirt Carr but when it was apparent that Schaub's shoulder had fallen off his body, Carr started and probably is better for it. Same thing happened with Bortles and Henne, I think. Not sure if Henne got injured, though. Also not sure if it would have been better for Bortles to sit a year. Neither of these situations help the argument to sit a guy, though.

A QB coming out this year, Goff, is a guy I really like as a pro but I think needs to get bigger and work on his footwork. I hope he gets drafted by a team that will let him sit a year or two and develop, I don't think he'd benefit at all from starting immediately. But then again, what do I know.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Draft tunsil and an above average center tia

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

warcrimes posted:

I agree but I think it should be a case-by-case evaluation of start or redshirt. Going into the 2014 season, the plan was to redshirt Carr but when it was apparent that Schaub's shoulder had fallen off his body, Carr started and probably is better for it. Same thing happened with Bortles and Henne, I think. Not sure if Henne got injured, though. Also not sure if it would have been better for Bortles to sit a year. Neither of these situations help the argument to sit a guy, though.

A QB coming out this year, Goff, is a guy I really like as a pro but I think needs to get bigger and work on his footwork. I hope he gets drafted by a team that will let him sit a year or two and develop, I don't think he'd benefit at all from starting immediately. But then again, what do I know.

Goff is my favorite QB prospect but yeah, I think he'd be helped best by sitting and learning for a year or so. I feel the same way about Paxton Lynch and Carson Wentz, while I'm not that high on Connor Cook.

This year's QB class is interesting because there are a lot of promising long-term prospects, but no sure-fire Week 1 starters like Winston and Mariota were last year. Makes me wonder how many teams will take the big picture in developing these guys, or throw them into the fire too soon to try saving their jobs.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Draft Wentz or Lynch or Cook...whoever is there.

Play Hoyer for another year. I'm down with this.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Would honestly rather take Dak Prescott than Paxton Lynch.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

PrinceRandom posted:

gently caress off

You can have Cook or Goff if you want.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Coldforge posted:

This is fairly reasonable I think, Prescott's been super consistent his entire career and Lynch is sort of the came-from-nowhere hype kid

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I know bowl games aren't everything but ugh Lynch looked bad in his last game

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chichevache posted:

A Treatise on Danny Woodhead

Christian McCaffery is gonna be Woodhead 2.0 when he gets to the NFL. I know it's not for another year, but he'll make someone very happy.

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

Coldforge posted:

I'm kind of hoping the Bears take Prescott in like the 2nd/3rd and sit him behind Cutler for a couple of years. He's obviously got a ton of physical ability, and it seems like he's improved every year in college.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Benne posted:

Goff is my favorite QB prospect but yeah, I think he'd be helped best by sitting and learning for a year or so. I feel the same way about Paxton Lynch and Carson Wentz, while I'm not that high on Connor Cook.

This year's QB class is interesting because there are a lot of promising long-term prospects, but no sure-fire Week 1 starters like Winston and Mariota were last year. Makes me wonder how many teams will take the big picture in developing these guys, or throw them into the fire too soon to try saving their jobs.

The browns are going to ruin at least one of these promising young talents.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

So what guy with character/weed issues is going to fall to the Chiefs at 28?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kirios posted:

Draft Wentz or Lynch or Cook...whoever is there.

Play Hoyer for another year. I'm down with this.

Draft Wentz, sit him for two years behind Brees after the Saints cut him

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

No Butt Stuff posted:

So what guy with character/weed issues is going to fall to the Chiefs at 28?

You're about to become familiar with North Dakota State football, my friend

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/689189487155515392

:getin:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I mean, there's not really a Luck or Winston this year. I guess somebody could fall madly in love with Goff and trade up, but eh...

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Whoever the top QB in the draft ends up being is probably going at #2 if the Titans don't trade back so that gives them some leverage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm praying to all the dark Gods we don't draft a QB in the first. It don't work. We're the Browns. Bosa or bust.

• Locked thread