Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Dear members of the Haute Cour,

We are living in a dark time, beset by enemies on all sides, zealots and conquerors, looking to erase what we have accomplished in Jerusalem in Egypt.

But we have and will endure thanks to the strenght in our diversity: Christian, muslim and jewish alike defend our land from the invaders and we must not forget our friends in the far east, who'll surely come to help us if we call to them. Seeing many new faces in the Haute Cour this session, it's my duty to present you our charter, to see if you'd join us to build a better, stronger Outremer, together

'''The Shangqing School of Supreme Clarity Charter'''

Our fair and noble Kingdom of Jerusalem is among the most unique domains in the world. We are a country of warriors, committed to seeing justice realized. We are a country of merchants, aspiring to seize new opportunities. We are a country of scholars, devoted to uncovering new wisdom. Our brethren-in-arms were forged in the heat of battle but all of us aspire to see peace on earth.

Today, our country is tasked to be defenders of the holiest places of the Children of Abraham. With this important duty, we, '''The Shangqing School of Supreme Clarity,''' believe we understand the best way forward. Here is what we seek for the future of our great realm:

Diplomatic Matters: We look Eastwards. Our founder, a knight from the fabled lands of Cathay, was sent by its Emperor to learn the Word of God. We'll work tirelessly forge stronger bonds with the Empire of Cathay and learn from their sages and wise-masters. We will also aspire to bring our learnings there, to ensure peaceful dialogue and guarantee a peaceful future for Christian communities of the East.

Cultural Matters: We'll strive to make the Kingdom of Heaven a kingdom of tolerance. All people deserve to live in harmony regardless of religious, gender or cultural difference. We'll fight to further the rights of women and religious minorities inside the realm. We will oppose anyone who would unravel the rich tapestry of ideas that gives us strength.

Warfare Matters: As a young kingdom composed of those with many backgrounds, we are surrounded by enemies inside and out. These enemies see our diversity as a threat, a challenge to their old ways. As such, we support the military to preserve our progress and expand our benevolent influence. Still, we believe our warriors must be bounded by chivalry and gentleness to our defeated foes. We must not match cruelty with cruelty.

Economy Matters: We believe in the free exchange of good and ideas for the betterment of the Realm. Thus we support initiatives to build and maintain trade along the Silk Road and let the gold, spices and inventions of the East reach our cities. While we respect the merchants of the West, we see our future as one aligned with Cathay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Yes, yes, Svend, we all know the particulars of your platform. Tolerance et cetera. Lovely.

Fellow Lords and Ladies of the Cour, let the record show that I have nothing against tolerance. It is precisely the fact that Catholic, Jaffite, Israelite, Muslim...

Doge Konopka flips through his notes.

...eh, and the rest, may coexist, that makes this kingdom worth defending.

BUT.

DEFENDED it must be! We are beset on all sides by enemies! Enemies that would see the House of Groves burnt to ash! Enemies that can only be brought to heel with silver and steel, unbound by such foolishness as "no cruelty unto cruelty!"

Therefore, if you truly care about the people of Jerusalem, caucus with the Eclipse Party! Today, warfare... Tomorrow? Nos mos adepto ad eam!

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Prince Alberto Azzo d'Este of Aswan

Five years ago, when the Seljuks first made their intentions known to us there were many who proposed plans to prepare the realm for just such an assault. To their credit the Shangqing's pushed through a bill to improve relations with distant Kathay, which sent us a talented strategist whose services shall be put to good use. The merchants of Mercator Dei pushed for an expansion of trade, the dividends of which shall be useful in the wars we now face. But what of the Eclipse Party, which now preaches the need for silver and steel? What were they up to?

Needlessly and dangerously distracting the realm with bills to hand out crown land to the Nile Republic, stripping the crown of its authority and pressing for more positions and prestige for its members. With the wolves at the gate the Eclipse Party wasted our time and resources enriching its members and shoring up its voting power. One might be forgiven for thinking that perhaps Eclipse and Pro Deo et Regno are involved in some manner of conspiracy with the Seljuks, though I would not of course deign to make such baseless remarks.

Parti Du Roi will protect Jerusalem from misguided factions by restoring the balance of power in the Haute Cour. We shall seek allies in Europe who shall defend the Holy Land and reach out to our would-be allies among the Jaffites. We shall do these things in the name of God and Jerusalem!

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Hashim posted:

Open conflict even erupted between two lords, the Prince of Ascalon and Count of Beersheb, with the latter forced to submit as a vassal after a vicious battle in the desert.

Help help I'm being repressed

Angstrom Gothington
Feb 19, 2007

Raise your arms in the big black sky, raise your arms the highest you can, so the whole universe will glow.

i81icu812 posted:

Help help I'm being repressed

Well, if it makes you feel better I died of loving RABIES shortly thereafter, lol.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Angstrom Gothington posted:

Well, if it makes you feel better I died of loving RABIES shortly thereafter, lol.

That explains the aggression.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
As requested, I've included info on Weak Claims, Known Plots, Non-Aggression Pacts and Trade Zones.

Session of the Haute Cour, 1125

Antoon van Oegstgeest, Baron of Beit Nuba and Regent of the Realm, steps forward to address the sitters of the Haute Cour who've managed to reach Alexandria..

: My lords and ladies, my apologies for conducting this impromptu session so far from our usual place of meeting, and my thanks to the Prince of Alexandria for hosting us on such short notice.

: But we must plunge into business. First and foremost, it is my duty to assure you all that the King is safe. The flight from Jerusalem was dangerous and tiring, but God Almighty helped us escape unseen, and our King is already almost recovered from the journey.

: Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of the holy city.

: As I'm sure everyone here knows, the Turks have besieged Jerusalem with everything they have, a force of almost 20,000 warriors. I am afraid that, excepting a miracle from above, our defenders will not hold for very long.

: But we must look beyond that. The city may fall, but Jerusalem can never fall whilst we still live and breathe, so we must decide on our next action.

: Whether that it is to make war or negotiate peace, I leave to you.

: God help us.

State of Affairs

King: Aimery de Bolougne
Regent: Baron Antoon of Beit Nuba
Government: Agnatic-Cognatic Elective Monarchy
Factions: Eclipse Party, Mercator Dei, Pro Deo et Regno, Parti Du Roi, Shanqing School of Supreme Clarity
Treasury: 722 gold, +6.62/month
Piety: 634, +3.52/month
Army: 9590 levies
Non-Aggression Pacts: Byzantine Empire, France, Kievan Rus
Alliances: none.
Wars: Seljuk Empire, Shia Jihad (Tunis, Cyrenaica).

Active Policies:
None.

Active Laws - 8/10:

World Map:

Weak Claims

Succession:
Next in line for Jerusalem is Svend Estrid, Prince of Asyut.

Council and Court:
The offices of Marshal, Spymaster and Advisor are vacant.

Laws:
Next crown law can be passed now, next regular law can be passed now.

Technology:
Some economic and culture advancements are possible.

Military:

Factions:
The princes of Alexandria and Ascalon are likely to rebel.

Known Plots:

Decisions:

Religion:
Pope Urbanus III rules in Rome. The antipope in Aquileia has been deposed.

Culture:

Relations:

Trade Zones:

Defensive Pacts:

Diseases:

Empire of China:

Ruler Prerogative:
- Staging a coronation ceremony.
- Appointing members of the Council (the in-game council).
- Awarding minor titles.
- Arranging marriages for family members and courtiers.
- Taking loans from merchant communities.
- Imprisoning treasonous or dishonourable persons (required Council acceptance).
- Humiliating/Torturing/Banishing/Executing treasonous or dishonourable persons.
- Ransoming/Humiliating/Torturing/Banishing/Executing prisoners of war.
- Sending gifts.

Legislation:
Once the Haute Cour is in session, any lord of the realm can submit legislation, which largely consists of Policies and Laws, as well as optional Directives.
As mentioned, members of the Haute Cour may support or oppose proposals of their choosing.
If at least 1/3rd of a proposal’s votes are in opposition, then that proposal is submitted for the consideration of the King. If at least 2/3rd of a proposal’s votes are in opposition, it is struck from the books regardless of the amount of support received.
Sessions of the Haute Cour last 48 hours, and after this period, the 4 most popular proposals (2 from largest faction, assuming they each have enough support) are gathered into a single document or Recess, which is then implemented in the next update.

Rules of the Haute Cour:
- You cannot join or change factions when the Haute Cour is in session.
- Each lord is entitled to submit a single piece of legislation, and unless otherwise stated, they are assumed to be supporting that same Policy/Law.
- A member of a Faction may only support legislation submitted by a colleague in their Faction. They may oppose legislation submitted by anyone.
- Courtiers are entitled to 1 vote, Barons to 2 votes, Counts to 3 votes, Dukes to 4 votes, Kings/Viceroys to 5 votes. Members of the Council have 2 additional votes.
- The Designated Regent minor title has 1 additional vote, but in the event of a incapable or underage ruler and resulting regency, this will rise to 5 votes.
- Votes are cumulative, so for example, a Count may have 10 votes if they are on the Council and become Regent.
- In addition to supporting Policies or Laws, lords may pledge their support to a single Directive, submitted by any independent lord or faction.
- Rank has no effect when Directives are being considered. In this case, each member of the Haute Cour has only a single vote.
- If Policies and/or Laws gather sufficient opposition, they may be struck from the bill. The King may strongarm his own agenda into the bill in their place.
- In cases where Laws and Policies contradict one another, the law always take precedence.
- If support for two proposals are equal, and there is only one place remaining in the Recess, the King chooses between them.
- For obvious reasons, legislation cannot pertain to the ruler’s personal life, unless is he is underage. So, for example, the Haute Cour has no control over who the King marries, though unwise decisions may affect his standing amongst his lords.
- The Haute Cour has no authority over the Character Focus or the Ambition of the King, those being his private matter.

For more details on legislative sessions, click HERE.
For more detail on in-game actions, click HERE.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Lords of the Realm

Feudal Votes:
  • Erwin the German - 1
  • Snipee - 4
  • Lord Cyrahzax - 4
  • Jossar - 4
  • Angstrom Gothington - 4
  • Freudian - 4
  • Pacho - 6
  • Clayren - 6
  • sheep-doger - 4
  • HiHo ChiRho - 3
  • i81icu812 - 5
  • Capfalcon - 3
  • Technowolf - 3
  • habeasdorkus - 3
  • Flesnolk - 3
  • Xelkelvos - 3
  • Soup du Jour - 3
  • Slaan - 3
  • Flavius Aetass - 3
  • Yavuz - 3
  • Mr.Morgenstern - 3
  • TheFlyingLlama - 2
  • Pakled - 7
  • Top Hats Monthly - 2
  • Kangxi - 2
  • MaxieSatan - 4
  • Ralepozozaxe - 2
  • Thordain - 2
  • Grizzwold - 2
  • Rody One Half - 2
  • Mirdini - 1
  • NewMars - 1
  • Obliterati - 1
  • QuoProQuid - 1
  • Frionnel - 1
  • Captain Mediocre - 1
  • Luhood - 1
  • Zikan - 1
  • really queer Christmas - 1
  • AJ-Impy - 1
  • Vinny Possum - 1
  • mcclay - 1
  • megane - 1
  • Shogeton - 1
  • WilliamAnderson - 1
  • Gigagar - 1
  • rudecyrus - 1
  • SirPhoebos - 1

Factions:

Mirdini posted:

Running Faction Tally up to the 1125 Session

Eclipse Party (Expansionistic Crusading)

Leader: Doge Konopka (MaxieSatan)
Members: Countess Sophie (Yavuz), King Aimery (Erwin the German), Princess Pellegrina (Jossar), Fulgam Cornipes (AJ Impy), Baron Antoon (Pakled), Countess Gerberge (Flavius Aetass), William Anderson (WilliamAnderson), Owain Gwynllwyg (Captain Mediocre), Prince Mathieu (Lord Cyrahax)
# of members/votes: 10 members, 29 votes

Shangqing School of Supreme Clarity (Han-flavored Tolerance)

Leader: Qualiam d'Quintavallis (QuoProQuid)
Members: Prince Svend (Pacho), Patrician Tarif (Rody One Half), Giyorgis Zemenfes (Obliterati), Count Ashot (Flesnolk), Vincenç de Montségur (Vinny Possum), Prince Binyamin (Angstrom Gothington), Binyamin Nasrallah (Shogeton), Fresse Nauta (mcclay)
# of members/votes: 9 members, 20 votes

Mercator Dei (Economy, Merchantry)

Leader: Patrician Pilaf (Ralepozozaxe)
Members: Count Foulques (Slaan), Patrician Sieciech (Thordain), Count Baldwin (Technowolf), Count Yves (HiHo ChiRho)
# of members/votes: 5 members, 13 votes

Parti Du Roi (Increase/Maintain Monarch's Power)

Leader: Prince Alberto (Clayren)
Members: Count Bezz'i (habeasdorkus), Osmundo Gonçalez (Gigagar), Count Angelbert (Soup du Jour)
# of members/votes: 4 members, 13 votes

Pro Deo et Regno (Increase/Maintain Vassals' Power)

Leader: Dimitri Blaiddyd (Mirdini)
Members: Prince Briccene (sheep-dodger), Alexandre Magno Abrão (Frionnel), Count Geoffroy (Mr.Morgenstern)
# of members/votes: 4 members, 9 votes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Independents

Members: Count Gauthier (i81icu812), Count Rorgues (CapFalcon), Baron Centule (TheFlyingLlama), Prince Thibault (Freudian), Bessarion Aeros (NewMars), Louis de l'Ours (Luhood), Maël Cornouaille (Zikan), Alexander (really queer Christmas), Rhisiart Cynwrig (megane), Captain Ahmad (Kangxi), Niccolo Serra (rudecyrus), Patrician Pelka (Grizzwold), Grandmaster Waldeve (Top Hats Monthly), Prince Bernard (Snipeee), Javier de Bordeaux (SirPhoebus), Count Kalonymos (Xelkelvos)
# of members/votes: 16 members, 30 votes

hashashash fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 24, 2019

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

I, Patrician Pilaf, propose a policy known as the Defend myOUR Home Order.

quote:

We are to hire as large a band of mercenaries as possible without bankrupting ourselves.
We are to use them to defend us in our current wars.
A preference will be put on them to defend Egypt from the jihad first, and to only defend Jerusalem from the Seljuks if no fighting is going on in or around Egypt.

Edit: Changed to policy, as I couldn't remember which was which.

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 24, 2019

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Needs to be a policy, not a directive

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I, Prince Bernard, propose the following Directive:

The Court Chaplain position will be stripped from the intolerant Bishop Geoffroy of Lydda who is consistently harassing faithful Christians and who is frankly always entirely absent from the Haute Cour. It should be offered to a sufficiently learned Jaffite member of the Haute Cour (with a minimum of 10 learning) who would be better capable of providing spiritual guidance to Jerusalem during these dark times. I humbly offer myself for the position although this directive can be satisfied with the just appointment of any other scholarly Jaffite.

e: In summary, appoint a new chaplain who must be a Jaffite with 10+ learning

Snipee fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 24, 2019

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Baron Antoon introduces a new policy, the Emergency Revenues Act:

1. The King shall borrow as much money as can be managed from Jewish merchants and, if available, any holy orders.

2. The King shall leverage his authority to request additional funds from the peasantry and petty vassals for as long as the current wars against the Seljuks and the Shia Jihad are ongoing. [ooc: this means, if it becomes available, to take the "Extort Subjects" decision]

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Updated the faction tally, it was a bit off

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

My esteemed colleagues, I understand that this latest session has been quiet if you've been sitting in the chamber. It might feel like we are paralyzed and fearful, that we have no notion on how to proceed. I come to tell you that these feelings are false. There are good reasons for our silence.

Over the last few hours, the parties of the Haute Cour have engaged in deep dialogue about how to save Jerusalem from its current crisis. Though I often disagree with my colleagues in Parti Du Roi and Eclipse, each of us are committed to seeing this realm survive. We understand the consequences if the forces of Seljuk are allowed to seize the Kingdom. We've put far too much work into seeing this realm and its different peoples thrive to see that progress undone. I appreciate the leadership of both these parties putting aside our small differences to address this larger issue.

Thus, in the spirit of collaboration, we have drafted a policy to save us. It isn't perfect, and it has its costs, but I believe it is our last, best chance to save this Kingdom's people.

The Second Emergency Imperial Defense Policy

WHEREAS His Majesty, the King of Jerusalem, holds the Crown of Thorns, an important relic to all of Christendom,

WHEREAS the Kingdom of Jerusalem faces an existential threat in the form of two separate invasions for its territory, necessitating desperate measures,

WHEREAS the Son of Heaven has demonstrated an affinity for Christians and would be an invaluable ally in destroying the very enemies intent on destroying us,

I, Qualiam d'Quintavallis, call upon the King of Jerusalem to:

1. Send the Crown of Thorns for safekeeping to Cathay, where it might be kept safe from the barbaric, invading forces of Seljuk and stoke interest in Christianity within the Song Empire; and

2. Request Cathay invade the Seljuk Empire to prevent it from destroying the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 24, 2019

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

In addition, in recognition of his vital work making this bill possible, I wish to propose a directive granting Alberto d'Este (Clayren) the title of Keeper of the Swans.

Alberto is a credit to his party and to the Kingdom as a whole. I can only hope that others are inspired to act as he has.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

By my authority as leader of the Eclipse Party, The Emergency Revenues Act shall be forced into the recess.

With regards to the Second Emergency Imperial Defense Act... As unhappy as it makes me, I have spent the night in seclusion with the most trustworthy priest in Alexandria, and concluded that it would be better for the Kingdom to survive at the expense of the Crown than vice versa. I, for one, will not oppose this policy given the circumstances.

drat thing is probably a fake anyway, can't trust any of the drat merchants around these parts. Finger of St. Nicolas my eye.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

The Prince of Aswan rises from his position among the councilors of the kingdom, his black robes and large, intricate hat giving off the distinct smells of peppermint and basil.

Brothers and sisters, I greet you all in these dark times. The kingdom of God is threatened from all sides and the holy city itself is besieged by the Seljuks. With this in mind I fully endorse the plan of Sir d'Quintavallis to move the holy Crown of Thorns out of danger. The Emperor Zhao Zhezong, though a foreigner and heathen, has shown himself to be an enlightened man who is deeply concerned with the children of Christ and I do not doubt that he can be trusted to safeguard this most sacred treasure.

I also wish to address the Haute Cour at this time to discuss the issue of council appointments. Currently a great deal of time is devoted each session to the question of council appointments. I am concerned about this for three reasons. First of all, some of these positions involve very essential duties and the elevation of an unskilled political appointee might endanger the realm. With the Hashashin skulking about we cannot afford to have a spymaster lacking in talent. Neither can we hope to maintain order and unity among our people with a dullard for a court chaplain.

Secondly, I feel that too much time and energy is committed to the appointment of these officials, preventing the Haute Cour from fulfilling its duties. Removing a couple key positions from the table will help streamline sessions. Finally, I am concerned that talented lords of the realm are being prevented from holding office because they refuse to side with a party. There are positions in which a disinterested party would be the best choice. For all of these reasons I am proposing the

Spymaster and Chaplain Appointment Law

The position of Spymaster for the Kingdom of Jerusalem, whenever without holder, must be granted to a lord without party affiliation who has an active voting record in the Haute Cour (having voted at least once in the past 10 years) and a notable talent (10 intrigue or more) for the job.

If no independent lord can be found who fits the above criteria a non-voting (not granted to a poster) member of the court with a notable talent (10 intrigue or more) must be selected. If no member of either the court or the Haute Cour is available who has a notable talent the most talented lord without a party affiliation and who has an active voting record shall be chosen.

The position of Court Chaplain for the Kingdom of Jerusalem, whenever without holder, must be granted to a lord without party affiliation who has an active voting record in the Haute Cour (having voted at least once in the past 10 years) and a notable talent (10 learning or more) for the job.

If no independent lord can be found who fits the above criteria a non-voting (not granted to a poster) member of the court with a notable talent (10 learning or more) must be selected. If no member of either the court or the Haute Cour is available who has a notable talent the most talented lord without a party affiliation and who has an active voting record shall be chosen. If no independent lord with an active voting record can be found that fits the above criteria, a non-voting (not granted to a poster) member of the court shall be chosen.

Angstrom Gothington
Feb 19, 2007

Raise your arms in the big black sky, raise your arms the highest you can, so the whole universe will glow.

A letter arrives bearing the seal of Prince Binyamin of Ascalon. A page reads aloud:

First off, forgive my proxy - there are too many prying eyes and venomous tongues in the Haute Cour chambers of late.

The Prince of Aswan is correct in his analysis of the wasted time and effort of the HC in determining council appointment, but his law fails to take into account the disgruntlement of powerful lords who threaten the peace of the realm, even as we are beset by foreign invasion. (I steadfastly deny all scurrilous rumors that I may be one such lord.)

I present the bill below, which I believe can exist as either a replacement or a complement to the esteemed Lord d'Este's. As a measure of cooperation, I pledge on the Quran that when voting begins, I shall grant one vote to each of our bills.

Internal Cohesion Law

Edit: RETRACTED IN FAVOR OF VASSAL COHESION LAW BELOW

Angstrom Gothington fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 24, 2019

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

I also want to commend my fellow nobles for joining efforts to repel the Seljuk menace. My time on this earth is nearing its end and I might be gone before we see our enemies vanquished, but alas, remember than when it feels the night will never end and hope is dim, look to the East! Look to the coming of the banners! And in this spirit I wish to personally commend our commander Fan Shenquan and propose the directive that a suitable bride and dowry be found for him. I don't think it would be a difficult effort since even some of my nieces in Denmark, during our correspondence, have show a desire to meet such a brave and gallant knight

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Ser Blaiddyd strides to the floor, visibly distressed.

We do not have time to squabble amongst ourselves when the Turk stands at the gates of Jerusalem. While the noble Prince of Ascalon's measure *may* stall this supposed plot to revolt in favor of more council power, I have a more expedient solution: should such demands be made, simply accede to them. Whether our King has sole say over execution and banishment or not is not worth internal conflict with our entire kingdom at stake.

On a less urgent note, this also ensures that none of our number is executed or banished on spurious charges unless the whole council can be convinced of their guilt. Surely none among us would object to some level of due process when it comes to our own heads, or the fortunes of our dynasties?

So, Pro Deo et Regno proposes the-

A squire stumbles to Ser Blaiddyd's side, and whispers in his ear.

Hmm. This is something we can agree to. As I was saying, Pro Deo et Regno, now in association with the Shanqing School of Supreme Clarity, proposes the

Vassal Cohesion Law

WHEREAS powerful lords of the realm may become discontent should their status in the royal court not match their contribution to the realm,

WHEREAS the kingdom cannot afford to face civil war while threatened by external enemies,

WHEREAS petty jockeying and factional politicking for council positions and council power have taken too much of the Haute Cour's time and attention, when many more fruitful directives could be pursued,

1. If dangerous (70%+) rebellious factions threaten the realm, vacant council positions are to be filled following these stipulations:
i. The King (or Regent), when filling vacant council positions other than Chaplain, shall prioritize the most powerful (fist iconed) vassals of the monarch.
ii. If no such powerful vassals are available or able to serve, priority shall go to the eligible vassal candidate with the most troops.

2. Furthermore, if a faction demands increased council power during the duration of this law, the King shall accede to that faction's demands.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this common-sense reform will see sufficient support from the Haute Cour.

I would also like to note that due to the extraordinary circumstances in which we find ourselves, Pro Deo et Regno will not stand in the way of the Shanqing School of Supreme Clarity's efforts to reach out to the Emperor of Cathay in this session. Jerusalem requires extraordinary help, and I only hope that our brothers in the SSSC are correct in their judgement that he will prove a true friend to the Holy Land.

Mirdini fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 24, 2019

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

My fellow Crusaders, brothers and sisters under god: You may or may not know me. I am Jovani Giaguaro, of the Giaguaro line of knights. My father was a holy warrior in the first crusade to take the Holy Land, and I myself fought in order to reclaim Egypt from the hands of the Star and Crescent. My family has settled here in the years after, and now I feel I must speak up now, else risk this moment pass me and our Kingdom by.

We face the greatest trial in our Kingdom's short history. The forces of Islam are arrayed against us in their totality. Only by uniting behind our King and behind the forces of God can we survive this dark day. While the invader marches to our gates, we squabble over personal power and influence. Meanwhile, the holy House of de Boulogne has safeguarded the Holy Land against invasions before. Only by continuing to entrust ourselves to their judgment and keeping the light of God in our hearts can we succeed.

Only the unified powers of Christendom can ensure our survival in this time. And only by fostering the brightest talents under the guidance of our King can we play our part.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 24, 2019

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Could you submit the proposal in a separate post from character submission, so that if it passes, I can link to only the law itself.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 24, 2019

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
If the Emperor disturbs one thorn on that crown...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

I, Jovani Giaguaro, propose a Law to move the Holy Kingdom of Jerusalem and Egypt to Late Feudal Administration.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Since my plan would not fill the position of marshal, I am also proposing a Directive to Grant the position of Marshal to the talented Gauthier of House Brienne, COUNT of Beersheb. He's an independent noble and a fantastic general.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

The assembly is no longer taking PROPOSALS, and is now open to VOTING.

The restriction on faction member votes has been REMOVED. Now, any member of the Haute Cour may support/oppose any proposal, as they see fit.

Latest vote tally - Click HERE.

:siren:Proposed Policies:siren:

Defend myOUR Home Order - Mercator Dei

Ralepozozaxe posted:

-We are to hire as large a band of mercenaries as possible without bankrupting ourselves,
-We are to use them to defend us in our current wars.
-A preference will be put on them to defend Egypt from the jihad first, and to only defend Jerusalem from the Seljuks if no fighting is going on in or around Egypt.

Support —

Opposition —

The Second Emergency Imperial Defense Policy - Shanqing School of Supreme Clarity

QuoProQuid posted:

1. Send the Crown of Thorns for safekeeping to Cathay, where it might be kept safe from the barbaric, invading forces of Seljuk and stoke interest in Christianity within the Song Empire; and

2. Request Cathay invade the Seljuk Empire to prevent it from destroying the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

Support —

Opposition —

:siren:Proposed Laws:siren:

Spymaster and Chaplain Appointment Law - Parti Du Roi

Clayren posted:

-The position of Spymaster for the Kingdom of Jerusalem, whenever without holder, must be granted to a lord without party affiliation who has an active voting record in the Haute Cour (having voted at least once in the past 10 years) and a notable talent (10 intrigue or more) for the job.
If no independent lord can be found who fits the above criteria a non-voting (not granted to a poster) member of the court with a notable talent (10 intrigue or more) must be selected. If no member of either the court or the Haute Cour is available who has a notable talent the most talented lord without a party affiliation and who has an active voting record shall be chosen.

-The position of Court Chaplain for the Kingdom of Jerusalem, whenever without holder, must be granted to a lord without party affiliation who has an active voting record in the Haute Cour (having voted at least once in the past 10 years) and a notable talent (10 learning or more) for the job.
If no independent lord can be found who fits the above criteria a non-voting (not granted to a poster) member of the court with a notable talent (10 learning or more) must be selected. If no member of either the court or the Haute Cour is available who has a notable talent the most talented lord without a party affiliation and who has an active voting record shall be chosen. If no independent lord with an active voting record can be found that fits the above criteria, a non-voting (not granted to a poster) member of the court shall be chosen.

Support —

Opposition —

Vassal Cohesion Law - Pro Deo et Regno

Mirdini posted:

1. If dangerous (70%+) rebellious factions threaten the realm, vacant council positions are to be filled following these stipulations:
i. The King (or Regent), when filling vacant council positions other than Chaplain, shall prioritize the most powerful (fist iconed) vassals of the monarch.
ii. If no such powerful vassals are available or able to serve, priority shall go to the eligible vassal candidate with the most troops.

2. Furthermore, if a faction demands increased council power during the duration of this law, the King shall accede to that faction's demands.

Support —

Opposition —

Move Administration to Late Feudal Administration - Independent

JT Jag posted:

I, Jovani Giaguaro, propose a Law to move the Holy Kingdom of Jerusalem and Egypt to Late Feudal Administration.

Support —

Opposition —

:siren:Proposed Directives:siren:

Jaffite for Court Chaplain

Snipee posted:

In summary, Appoint a new chaplain who must be a Jaffite with 10+ learning

Aye —

Nay —

Alberto d'Este for Keeper of the Swans

QuoProQuid posted:

I wish to propose a directive granting Alberto d'Este (Clayren) the title of Keeper of the Swans.
Alberto is a credit to his party and to the Kingdom as a whole. I can only hope that others are inspired to act as he has.

Aye —

Nay —

Arrange Marriage of Fan Shenquan

Pacho posted:

I wish to personally commend our commander Fan Shenquan and propose the directive that a suitable bride and dowry be found for him. I don't think it would be a difficult effort since even some of my nieces in Denmark, during our correspondence, have show a desire to meet such a brave and gallant knight

Aye —

Nay —

Gauthier Brienne for Marshal

Clayren posted:

I am also proposing a Directive to Grant the position of Marshal to the talented Gauthier of House Brienne, COUNT of Beersheb. He's an independent noble and a fantastic general.

Aye —

Nay —

---

Additionally, the following policy has been forced into the Recess by the Eclipse Party, as they rule as the largest faction:

Emergency Revenues Act -

Pakled posted:

1. The King shall borrow as much money as can be managed from Jewish merchants and, if available, any holy orders.

2. The King shall leverage his authority to request additional funds from the peasantry and petty vassals for as long as the current wars against the Seljuks and the Shia Jihad are ongoing. [ooc: this means, if it becomes available, to take the "Extort Subjects" decision]

hashashash fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 24, 2019

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I must say, as Grandmaster of the Knights Hospitaller, how do we not know the Emperor will treat the Crown with the respect it deserves? Convince me.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

I, Pilaf of House Thermidor, put my Two Votes in favor of the Defend Our Home Order.

Aye on the jaffite for court chaplain.
Aye on the marriage of Fan Shenquan.
None of the other directives are of concern to me right now so I will abstain on them.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Three votes in favour of The Second Emergency Imperial Defense Policy.

Aye on marriage for Fan Shenquan
Nay on jaffite for chaplain
Aye on Alberto D'este for Keeper of Swans
Aye on Gauthier Brienne for Marshal

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

2 votes against the The Second Emergency Imperial Defense Policy

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

Haven't we already been through this discussion? Can we wait to bow down to some distant king when death and destruction are already at our doorstep? The Eclipse Party has already forced through its loan policy, now let's use it to actually make some difference in this war, in buying mercenaries that will serve us, as well as the bejeweled Mersir brand daggers needed for battle.

House Mersir submits both of its votes in support of the Defend Our Home Order

On Directives:
Jaffite for Court Chaplain: Nay
Alberto d'Este for Keeper of the Swans: Aye
Arrange Marriage of Fan Shenquan: Aye
Gauthier Brienne for Marshal: Aye

Edit: Fixed the order of the directive votes per request.

Thordain fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 25, 2019

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

I shall cast three votes in favor of The Second Emergency Imperial Defense Policy. I know some of you have misgivings about sending the relic away, but the Seljuk hoards approach and it cannot be safe behind the walls of Jerusalem. The Emperor has proven a great friend to Christendom and we can trust he shall keep the crown safe.

I cast three votes in favor of the Spymaster and Chaplain Appointment Law. We must begin reforming our council laws and rationalize the Haute Cour's sessions.

Directives:

NAY to Jaffite for Court Chaplain
The kingdom is still majority Catholic and I fear that this directive would needlessly alienate us from the Papacy and encourage conflict throughout the realm.
AYE to Alberto d'Este for Keeper of the Swans
I am honored by Sir d'Quintavallis' proposal and would strive to serve the realm and my king well.
Abstain on Arrange Marriage of Fan Shenquan
I do not feel that such personal matters are for the Haute Cour to decide, personally, but neither shall I stand in the way of those who wish to make the esteemed general feel at home in Jerusalem.
AYE to Gauthier Brienne for Marshal
It is essential, now more than ever, that the kingdom have a talented military leader.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

My house understands that the backbone of our crusade lands comes from Egypt. The food, the gold, the papyrus and the people. We must protect Egypt first and then take Jerusalem or our biggest moneymaker our cause is doomed to failure.

3 Votes for Defend Our Homes

On Directives:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I must say, as Grandmaster of the Knights Hospitaller, how do we not know the Emperor will treat the Crown with the respect it deserves? Convince me.

Since the last session, I've come to understand and appreciate the Christian concern around this artifact. After all, it is a sacred object for Christendom and a powerful symbol of the faith.

But we must acknowledge our current position. We are embroiled in two wars on two fronts that threaten to destroy us and all that we have built here. Not only will we lose the kingdom but it is fairly likely, if the siege of Jerusalem continues, we will lose our artifacts to the forces of Seljuk. Given the current animosity between our realm and our adversaries, it is safe to assume that these symbols will be destroyed if our enemy is allowed to seize them. The destruction will be akin to the burning of Irminsul but this time it will be the forces of Christian Europe that suffer most.

Having come from the far east, I can assure my esteemed colleagues that the Son of Heaven will not act in this way. His courtiers are well-trained in historical preservation. They value sacred objects and the Crown of Thorns would surely be the holiest relic held by the Emperor. Moreover, given his interest in Christianity, I can only assume that the object will receive further attention and detail. It will undoubtedly inspire new conversations and questions, perhaps even motivating others to seek out Christian missionaries.

Again, I understand the concern but we face a choice. We can either send the Crown far away from this fighting for safekeeping or we can watch it destroyed by Seljuk's children, along with everything else we've created.

I vote as follows:

One vote in favor of The Second Emergency Imperial Defense Policy.

Aye on marriage for Fan Shenquan: We should reward him for his work training our court and preparing us for the fight.

Nay on Jaffite for chaplain: I do not think we should reward the people whose acts of terror got us involved in this current crisis.

Aye on Alberto D'este for Keeper of Swans: I stand by what I said before, Alberto is a good representative for our kingdom.

Aye on Gauthier Brienne for Marshal: Gauthier seems very accomplished. I trust him to serve the court faithfully.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The younger man sitting in House Cynwrig's seat doesn't bother standing up to speak, but only shakes his head. "What dark days, that it should come to this. 'Tis almost a mercy my brave uncle'd not live to see it. Still, it's this or our hides, is it not? I, Bleddyn Cynwrig, put my one vote towards the Spymaster and Chaplain Appointment Law, but I must with much sorrow put my verbal support also behind the Second Emergency Imperial Defence Policy. And may God have mercy 'pon our souls for it."

"As for the directives,

Jaffite Court Chaplain: Nay.
Alberto d'Este for Keeper of the Swans: Aye.
Arrange Marriage of Fan Shenquan: Abstain.
Gauthier Brienne for Marshal: Aye."

megane fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 25, 2019

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

When voting on Directives, it would helpful to vote on them in order given. Makes tallying easier for Mirdini, so try and do so

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

: I understand that my uncle, not so long ago, went to his death begging the Haute Cour not to relinquish custody of the Crown of Thorns, a most holy artifact. Much as it pains me to say, I cannot similarly stand in opposition to the renewed effort - the stakes are too great now. Our enemies must be destroyed by any means necessary, and I can only pray that this land of Cathay will come through for us through this gesture. In honor of my great uncle and his wishes, however, I will not cast my vote for this policy, but rather for Vassal Cohesion Law, to better ensure that the kingdom does not come further apart in this time of great danger. Let it be known that I will not seek to impede the Haute Cour from passing whatever means we must in order to survive.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Supporting the Defend Our Home Order

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

House Carpanel gives its 3 Votes for Defend Our Homes.

Voting on Directives:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

House FitzWalter gives 2 votes in support of Defend MyOur Homes and 1 vote in support of Moving Administration to Late Fuedal Administration.

Jaffite for Court Chaplain NAY

Alberto d'Este for Keeper of the Swans AYE

Arrange Marriage of Fan Shenquan AYE

Gauthier Brienne for Marshal AYE