Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Wafflecopper posted:

you may not realise this but actors can often do good accents

hey he sounds good to my american ears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I havent died since I cleared 0 heat. I'm at 3 heat now and it's not really getting harder, there are enough low impact ways to add heat that I imagine I won't really start feeling it until ~8 or so.

I've been trying a lot of different ones out and the only thing that really seemed like a huge step up from 0 heat was the elite barge with Middle Management active. Holy crap the chiron bow was not the right weapon there.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
How are yall getting such fast clears? Granted I'm just starting to get full clears but even then my runs are looking more like 30 minutes than 6 or 7 or whatever.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

How are yall getting such fast clears? Granted I'm just starting to get full clears but even then my runs are looking more like 30 minutes than 6 or 7 or whatever.
It's 9/7 minutes per floor, so you can take up to 36/28 minutes. But in reality Elysium is the only real bottleneck for timed runs.

Finishing the whole game in 10 minutes has apparently been done (by much better players than I) but it requires a lot of things to go right.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Ooooh okay that makes so much more sense.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Artelier posted:

if you play fast, the time limit is a free two heat, and if you play really fast, it's a free five heat
I dunno I did the 9 min one and while I was usually 2 minutes left to spare in most zones, Elysiun cut it loving close with less than 1 minute because I kept having dick shield bearer rounds and Theseus was taking awhile. I’d be worried about the whole run ending when I get to Hades because it’s part of Styx and if you get unlucky having to do all the rooms I think you’d be hosed. I got lucky and found the key on the 3rd room and I beat hades with less than 2 minutes left. And that was with Chirron Bow build pumping out single target

I don’t think I enjoyed that Pact a whole lot.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can't imagine doing the timed stuff once you are running higher heat values since they make standard encounters take a lot longer.

What happens if you don't clear the level in time? do you just explode?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Xaris posted:

Elysiun cut it loving close with less than 1 minute because I kept having dick shield bearer

Yup, that's the only bottleneck I find personally. Not sure what happens if you run out of time, presumably you just explode and die. Gotta be a more reliable way to clear them all the time.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Artelier posted:

Yup, that's the only bottleneck I find personally. Not sure what happens if you run out of time, presumably you just explode and die. Gotta be a more reliable way to clear them all the time.

health ticks down till you die
(I was doing a hades bow cast-run and wasn't thinking, and took a chaos boon that damaged me on attack :gonk:)

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
You can just run around and just do special + cast with a chaos boon like that, the bows special is a better primary attack than the regular attack when you get up close and hit all the arrows on a target

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
oh my goodddddddd I had the demo for this as a kid

My parents wouldn't let me buy the full version

I wonder why

EDIT: Wrong thread oops

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 9, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Artelier posted:

You take 5 damage per second

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

Internet Kraken posted:

oh my goodddddddd I had the demo for this as a kid

My parents wouldn't let me buy the full version

I wonder why

wrong thread? now we wanna know what game you were talking about

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Sex Tragedy posted:

Check the AGDQ schedule, but I think it was something in Awful Block.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm trying the Chiron Aspect of the bow for the first time and I like it quite a bit, the Special damage is legit especially with the +4 Special Arrows Daedalus upgrade.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Hmm, been looking at this game for a few weeks now. Wonder if it will ever likely come to Switch? (I know, way too early to know) Two of Three of Supergiant's last games ended up there, so I guess it's very possible.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Drunk Theory posted:

Hmm, been looking at this game for a few weeks now. Wonder if it will ever likely come to Switch? (I know, way too early to know) Two of Three of Supergiant's last games ended up there, so I guess it's very possible.

It would be a bit difficult since the special aiming is cursor dependent not simply directionally dependent. Not impossible but possibly clumsy.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
The game plays great with a controller on PC, I don't see why they wouldn't port it (once it's done).

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

PJOmega posted:

It would be a bit difficult since the special aiming is cursor dependent not simply directionally dependent. Not impossible but possibly clumsy.

The title screen currently recommends you play with a controller, actually, so a console port seems pretty likely once the game is done, I think.

Snake Maze fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 10, 2020

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I suck mega bad at all these sorts of games with a controller though, gungeon, issac and this one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I have to admit I sometimes get real frustrated trying to dash across terrain on keyboard just because some of the dashes don't match well with the angles you're forced to look at.

But apparently you can't aim the railguns special on controller so fuuuuuuck that

Sex Tragedy posted:

An old Jurassic Park game, nothing special. I was commenting in the AGDQ thread and hit the wrong tab.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Internet Kraken posted:

But apparently you can't aim the railguns special on controller so fuuuuuuck that

You can, you hold the special button then move the left stick to move the target circle.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah I haven't had any issues with a controller

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The only issues with a controller are the aim assist. It's normally great, but in certain fights it might not target the things you need: in the Hydra fight it targets the random mines, in the Elysium fights with respawners it might frustrate you trying to hit the "eggs" in time, and it doesn't matter much because the first floor is so easy but it's sometimes hard to target the skull spawners over the skulls.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

The game starts feeling a lot easier once the mirror and trinket upgrades start rolling in. Always being able to get a god you want for a particular build makes a big difference.

Sword and Rail still feel like crappy weapons to me. Sword I can only get clears using Poseidon as a cast build and Rail just feels like begging for the right Hammer upgrades.

Anybody have any hints about being more consistent with those two? I just can't get the hang of always being in melee for the sword and not being able to stun lock for the rail.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

LifeLynx posted:

The only issues with a controller are the aim assist. It's normally great, but in certain fights it might not target the things you need: in the Hydra fight it targets the random mines, in the Elysium fights with respawners it might frustrate you trying to hit the "eggs" in time, and it doesn't matter much because the first floor is so easy but it's sometimes hard to target the skull spawners over the skulls.

You can turn that off tho, in the options. I have no idea how much harder it gets without it, since I personally think it's more often helpful than detrimental but the option is definitely there.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

WarpedLichen posted:

Anybody have any hints about being more consistent with those two? I just can't get the hang of always being in melee for the sword and not being able to stun lock for the rail.

Railgun is really simple and just comes down to how good you are at dodging. The weapon itself is brainless so you just need to be mindful of every enemies movement and attack options, more so than with other weapons since you can't stun them. Its tempting to just wanna stand still and unload but you should be dashing a lot to reposition yourself. You just gotta kite everything down.

Its pretty obvious but the special should be used at every opportunity since it takes basically no time fire and does tons of damage. Aim more for where enemies will be as you kite them rather than where they are now. You can even fire the special while you reload. Its really drat good.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Can dodge while reloading too.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
fire special when your gun clicks out of ammo, this will start an auto-reload as you fire a grenade which is a very efficient use of time

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Hestia rail means you don't get the bonus if you let it auto reload, and also if you pick the "hold attack to auto fire" Hammer boon

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Railgun is really simple and just comes down to how good you are at dodging. The weapon itself is brainless so you just need to be mindful of every enemies movement and attack options, more so than with other weapons since you can't stun them. Its tempting to just wanna stand still and unload but you should be dashing a lot to reposition yourself. You just gotta kite everything down.

Its pretty obvious but the special should be used at every opportunity since it takes basically no time fire and does tons of damage. Aim more for where enemies will be as you kite them rather than where they are now. You can even fire the special while you reload. Its really drat good.

Auto attacking just feels like being a crappy version of the spear unless you have supporting fire + zeus attack to pair with the massive ROF. Also have no idea how to lead most enemies past the first area unless you have the slow hammer or the rocket. Every enemy in Asphodel seems to love jumping massive distances and the heroes in Elysium are either standing still or gunning for your face.

I feel like with Rail I either need to go full to hit attack or full crit special. Everything else seems really crappy and nonfunctional. None of the other weapons feel so inflexible in terms of what works.

I've tried the dash + shotgun thing but I find that I'm dashing in, blowing my load, and the enemy is at 2/3 health if I don't crit and ready to bash my face in.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

WarpedLichen posted:

I've tried the dash + shotgun thing but I find that I'm dashing in, blowing my load, and the enemy is at 2/3 health if I don't crit and ready to bash my face in.

You get 2 dashes and if you use one at a time between double-barreled shotgun blasts then you can chain them together indefinitely

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Kill All Cops posted:

Hestia rail means you don't get the bonus if you let it auto reload, and also if you pick the "hold attack to auto fire" Hammer boon

Do you mean the infinite ammo upgrade? Because if that's the case, you can still hit reload and get your empowered shot with infinite ammo.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 11, 2020

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Kinda wish there was a keepsake that forced a Daedalus upgrade as your next chamber reward.

Also, last night I opened an Infernal Trove for gems and got a bottle of nectar in addition. Is that a random thing or a bug? I'd never had that happen previously in 70 hours.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Glare Seethe posted:

Kinda wish there was a keepsake that forced a Daedalus upgrade as your next chamber reward.

Also, last night I opened an Infernal Trove for gems and got a bottle of nectar in addition. Is that a random thing or a bug? I'd never had that happen previously in 70 hours.

I think that happens when you finish a trove spawn very quickly without taking damage, but it may just be random.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Glare Seethe posted:

70% of the time I find the first Daedals hammer in Tartarus and the second in the first room of Elysium. You can more or less expect to find them around there (I think avoiding merchants is actually helpful because the game wants to offer you hammers twice and you don't want to give it the option of using merchants to do so - I'm not 100% on this though)

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

kaschei posted:

I think that happens when you finish a trove spawn very quickly without taking damage, but it may just be random.

This is right. It doesn't happen every time, but there's a percentage chance. I've also got it from the challenge chests before.

No Wave posted:

70% of the time I find the first Daedals hammer in Tartarus and the second in the first room of Elysium. You can more or less expect to find them around there (I think avoiding merchants is actually helpful because the game wants to offer you hammers twice and you don't want to give it the option of using merchants to do so - I'm not 100% on this though)

Yeah, this is has been my experience as well. Except I do get the second hammer in Asphodel frequently too. Even if you find a hammer in a shop that you don't buy, you can still find another as a chamber reward. You can also sometimes force one using Fated Authority. It comes up in the rotation with coin, poms and Centaur Hearts.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I really like the collection mechanic gently pushing you to try different combinations of things. Good game design.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

A lot of things I thought were bad, like Athena's boon that increases deflected projectile damage, ended actually being decent. But the bad Hermes buffs are indeed really terrible.

I'm convinced that for non-timed runs Aphrodite is the best god for basic runs but Artemis has the most highroll potential with chaos buffs etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Turns out vengeful mood's pretty good with aphrodite's revenge