Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

also wtf is with adam? its like the creepy creator of samus' self-insert who really cant stand that fans thought of samus as a lone strong female protagonist who could deal with anything on her own, and just has to create weird Kinbaku-bi and restriction scenarios. He even looks directly into the camera and says even at full power [Samus] cannot withstand the EMMIs.

i got weird vibes about that in Fusion and with Other-M and this i see my instincts were correct.

How did he look into the camera when he has no eyes. Also no clue what Kinabaku bi is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also no clue what Kinabaku bi is.

It's the sort of bondage term whose casual use tells you a lot more about the speaker than about what they're saying.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bruceski posted:

I'm getting stuck on a boss (mini-boss? There's a fuzzy line between the two but this was behind an eye door) well into the game, 6th EMMIs area.

For the lightning beetle, how do I dodge the seeker shots? Haven't found a way to do it reliably and they attrition me down.

It’s easier to avoid if your not trying to free aim at the same time. Heavily just recommend jump and shoot plus missiles on it while largely ignoring free sim.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I don't play a lot of Switch games, do they all have such long loading times like the ones to get from area to area?

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

the only thing i wish i could do is map aim to ZL, much as it is in like every other console game with shooty things

In the Switch settings menu, you can remap any button on a controller to be another button, even assigning one input to multiple buttons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1txxapTOZs

The video is showing Joy-Cons, but this also works for Pro Controllers and I believe any other controller that's accepted.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bruceski posted:

I'm getting stuck on a boss (mini-boss? There's a fuzzy line between the two but this was behind an eye door) well into the game, 6th EMMIs area.

For the lightning beetle, how do I dodge the seeker shots? Haven't found a way to do it reliably and they attrition me down.

A trick to make the fight way easier is to start up a speed booster charge outside the boss room, hold the charge, and then just shinespark straight upwards into it as it flies in. It doesn't kill but it does a shitload of damage.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Blaziken386 posted:

has anyone figured out the timing for the EMMI counters? like, is there a specific tell I'm not seeing?

I've done it once, on accident.

It is basically right before the flash. If you see the flash and haven't pressed the button by then, it's too late. So you have to predict them instead of entirely react to them, and they have different possible timings depending on the animation they use.

Generally don't rely on that and just haul rear end to the exit if possible.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Asterite34 posted:

There's an in-universe reason for it this time

im not sure if that is actually worse or not.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Still early on but holy poo poo I hate everything about the emmi encounters. It’s like, completely ruining my enjoyment of this game.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Killing an EMMI is such a good feeling. gently caress those things

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
A bit stuck. I beat Kraid, and got the Diffusion Beam. The only thing I know is I got access to the purple teleporter. Not sure where to know even after teleporting.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Don’t know what issues you are having with ADAM. He seems fine other then not having much faith in you.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Can I get a hint of where to go after getting the morph ball (not spoiling morph ball lol)? Feel like I have checked all three zones but I must have missed something.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Don’t know what issues you are having with ADAM. He seems fine other then not having much faith in you.

I like that he tries to give orders, but you can just ignore him and walk straight into the lava room if you want.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MonsterEnvy posted:

At least it's consistent with his character in Other M. :v:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
The best part of ADAM is that it's not even the AI's original name, Samus just named it that because it's a cold, emotionless, and bossy machine :haw:

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Just got the morph ball. God drat, this feels like something out of Nintendo’s golden age. A+

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dieting Hippo posted:

The best part of ADAM is that it's not even the AI's original name, Samus just named it that because it's a cold, emotionless, and bossy machine :haw:

And then it turned out to also be based on actual Adam's brain pattern which was one of the dumber parts of Fusion

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

stev posted:

I like that he tries to give orders, but you can just ignore him and walk straight into the lava room if you want.

It’s not even orders here, he’s just saying going into Lava Room will probably kill you, I don’t think you should.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

It’s not even orders here, he’s just saying going into Lava Room will probably kill you, I don’t think you should.

And saying "Yeah your plasma beam and super missiles wouldn't crack the EMMIs, don't even think about it with less."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MonsterEnvy posted:

It’s easier to avoid if your not trying to free aim at the same time. Heavily just recommend jump and shoot plus missiles on it while largely ignoring free sim.

Got it, yeah that helped.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Played all the way through getting the Speed Boost. Overall it's refreshing to actually have a good metroid release since like... 2008. This game is a lot of fun and the boss fights have already gotten a little challenging. The game feels really fast paced, a lot more than i'm used to from a metroidvania. It does also seem to block off old areas rather liberally so it kind of seems like there isn't really anywhere to go but forward (with the occasional side path for missiles or energy tanks). I do hope there gets to be a point where I can just wander around and any upgrades I've missed, because otherwise i'm going to get really tedious when exploring content to make sure I don't miss anything.

I enjoy the E.M.M.I sequences. I enjoy how robotic ADAM's speech sounds when giving you advice "You do not stand a chance at full power", stuff like that.. A lot of the cutscenes look like they were designed by fans of Samus, so it's awesome to see her Dodging Kraid spikes like it's absolutely nothing and not mincing words with it..

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Alright I timed it; 10 seconds from stepping on a platform to getting the prompt asking if you want to go to the next area which isn't loading anything, just long for no reason. 39 seconds after hitting A on the prompt and waiting for all the animation to finish before I can move. I just got this Switch last year but no one else seems to have long load times so I wonder if mine has a problem.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Just got Diffusion Beam, game keeps getting better.

Also, yeah the load times are really long in this.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Game feels proper again after our poor bird friend disabled all EMMI's.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The constant shutting off of old paths is lame. it happens so often its comical at this point like a running joke.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is this first wall jump 10 seconds into the game supposed to be impossible

I’ve spent 10 minutes here

This is awful

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
During the first boss when it turns around and the camera zooms into the gap you're meant to slide under, who else's first instinct was "shoot that thing"?

I really liked the end of that fight how Samus nonchalantly charges her beam in the background before delivering the killing blow.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This game is literally unplayable in the first 10 seconds lmao

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

also wtf is with adam? its like the creepy creator of samus' self-insert who really cant stand that fans thought of samus as a lone strong female protagonist who could deal with anything on her own, and just has to create weird Kinbaku-bi and restriction scenarios. He even looks directly into the camera and says even at full power [Samus] cannot withstand the EMMIs.

i got weird vibes about that in Fusion and with Other-M and this i see my instincts were correct.

MonsterEnvy posted:

How did he look into the camera when he has no eyes. Also no clue what Kinabaku bi is.

Bruceski posted:

It's the sort of bondage term whose casual use tells you a lot more about the speaker than about what they're saying.
I found it easy enough to google but definitely uh eye opening and yeah not safe for work

Anyway there is something to be said about AI Adam without putting it in anime fetish terms
https://twitter.com/merrittk/status/1446507324265439235

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

euphronius posted:

?

e: like the beginning beginning? uhh try going to the right instead of left

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can’t even make the first walk jump

Does Nintendo give you your money back this is awful

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Alright I timed it; 10 seconds from stepping on a platform to getting the prompt asking if you want to go to the next area which isn't loading anything, just long for no reason. 39 seconds after hitting A on the prompt and waiting for all the animation to finish before I can move. I just got this Switch last year but no one else seems to have long load times so I wonder if mine has a problem.

I think this is pretty normal. I do find some of the machinery animations for saving and stuff, while very cool looking, feel slightly too long.

30-40 seconds sounds about right for loading a new area. That said since the areas themselves are completely seamless, I don't find it too bad except when you do a bunch of transitions in quick succession like when you first go through a teleportal.

euphronius posted:

This is awful

You can only wall jump off a spin jump, so you have to be moving left or right as you jump. Neutral jumping won't work.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

also wtf is with adam? its like the creepy creator of samus' self-insert who really cant stand that fans thought of samus as a lone strong female protagonist who could deal with anything on her own, and just has to create weird Kinbaku-bi and restriction scenarios.

what the gently caress are you talking about

euphronius posted:

This is awful

what????

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Game is starting to grow on me quite a bit now but goddamn the controls are so hyper sensitive. I feel like I’m always screwing up.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ojetor posted:

I think this is pretty normal. I do find some of the machinery animations for saving and stuff, while very cool looking, feel slightly too long.

30-40 seconds sounds about right for loading a new area. That said since the areas themselves are completely seamless, I don't find it too bad except when you do a bunch of transitions in quick succession like when you first go through a teleportal.

You can only wall jump off a spin jump, so you have to be moving left or right as you jump. Neutral jumping won't work.

Yeah nothing works

Maybe my controller is slow idk

What a garbage game why but like one of the most technical jump puzzles I’ve ever seen in the first 10 seconds of a game . This is garbage lamo

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

euphronius posted:

You are bad at video games

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

euphronius posted:

Yeah nothing works

Maybe my controller is slow idk

What a garbage game why but like one of the most technical jump puzzles I’ve ever seen in the first 10 seconds of a game . This is garbage lamo

did you shoot the blocks
there is nothing technical about this I promise you

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I finally made it lmao

I hope the rest of the game isn’t this finicky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ZeeBoi posted:

You are bad at video games