Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well, in the books Dr. No was suffocated in bat poo poo, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Live and Let Die

That was one racist as hell movie. Which is honestly unfortunate, because I don’t want to just write this movie off. There is so much that works here. But there is an overriding theme throughout that I can’t help but find disturbing. At it’s heart, Live and Let Die is a movie about a group of uncultured black villains being tamed or defeated by the noble white man. That may be putting too fine a point on it, but this is literally what happens in a scene near the end. The black characters are treated terribly. The villains are exclusively the black characters, seen as pimps in Harlem here, or seen taken in by a Voodoo priest there. And the heroes are, barring two very minor examples, white. Our main villain holds a white woman as his slave, until he plans on taking her virginity. There’s a redneck sheriff who calls every African-American he meets, “boy”. It’s...astounding, and I can’t just write it off as being part of the times. James Bond himself is even more refined and, well, British, than he ever was under Connery, to drive an even larger contrast home. If they were attempting to jump on the blaxploitation bandwagon, they should probably have included some African-American heroes as well, but there is a very clear divide here between the white heroes and the black villains.

And the worst part about all of this? There’s a lot I love about this movie. I love Roger Moore as Bond. Unlike OHMSS, Live and Let Die is allowed to stand on it’s own, not simply trying to call back to the Connery flicks. Moore is allowed to take the character in a slightly different direction, and, barring a few awkward moments, succeeds. I love the guy, and I deeply hope the next movie gives him a better avenue for his style. Also, the action here is solid. The boat chase taking place near the end is fun, if a bit long. Beyond Moore, there are some fantastic performances (and some embarrassingly awful). It’s a movie I want, desperately, to love, but it is not an easy task.

The cold open actually doesn’t feature Bond at all, which is a weak way to start. Three MI-6 agents are killed within 24 hours. One while in the United Nations, from apparently earpiece sonic bomb? Like, seriously, someone hooks up the audio system to a TNT looking box, and then the guy dies from the sonic attack. The second is in New Orleans keeping an eye on a restaurant named Fillet of Soul, and as a jazz band funeral procession passes, he is stabbed (after being informed it is his funeral). The procession hides the body and then goes all upbeat jazz (which I thought they only did while walking away from the cemetery, but whatever, these guys are all clearly evil so who knows). The third is in San Monique (a fictional island in the Caribbean), who is killed as a ritual sacrifice during a voodoo...thing...by a snake bite. Way to set the tone for the movie right off the bat.

But then we get the opening credits, and holy poo poo are they fantastic. Look, I was already very familiar with the song by Paul McCartney and Wings. I was raised in a Beatles house. I saw the song live at Bonnaroo in 2013. So I already loved it. But it works so well in these opening credits, which switch between skulls and the now expected women in silhouette. I don’t really have much else to say, other than this opening sequence is now one of my favorites of all time.

We find Bond at his apartment, where he is interrupted (while in bed with an Italian woman) by M, who walks in acting like someone pissed in his corn flakes. Bond doesn’t want M to find the woman (because she is an Italian agent who has gone missing) so he distracts M with the most complicated looking coffee maker I have ever seen. Is it a 70’s cappuccino machine? Is this just how you made coffee then? It’s a contraction, for sure. Moneypenny is also here, but she does Bond a solid and helps hide his latest conquest. M tells Bond that all three agents were monitoring the activities of Dr. Kanaga, the dictator of San Monique. Bond is dispatched to New York, where Kanaga is at the moment. I guess this is where the gadgets start getting upped, as Bond is given a watch with an incredibly powerful magnet (which also only works on whatever he wants), which Bond of course uses to unzip the dress of the Italian agent. “Sure magnetism, my darling.” That’s pretty great, and is sold by Moore, who is instantly at home as Bond. He seems to settle into the role like a second skin, which is refreshing after watching Connery grow tired of it all.

Once arriving in New York, Bond’s driver is shot dead by a passing driver (a man named Whisper...because he can only whisper), causing a crash that nearly kills him. The passing car is later described by Felix (played here by David Hedison) as a “white pimpmobile”, so that’s slightly off putting. The driver’s license on the pimpmobile is traced back to a voodoo shop, which he discovers is the hide out for one Mr. Big, a gangster who runs the the Fillet of Soul restaurants mentioned above. Here we also meet Solitaire, played by Jane Seymour, in her first major role. And good God she is gorgeous in this movie. Solitaire (our only white member of the villain’s crew, so she will obviously be the one to turn) is a virgin tarot card reader, who can see things happening both now and in the future. Mr. Big, it turns out, is actually Kananga in disguise. And by that a terrible face mask. Maybe this looked better in SD, but in HD it looks like he is wearing a layer of wax over his face. Mr. Big does have one of the best lines I’ve ever heard after Bond tries to give his name.

Bond tails Mr. Big via a taxi, being driven by a jive talking cabby (who warns Bond he is going to Harlem, and after being offered an additional $20 tip to keep tailing, tells Bond for that he would take him to a “Klu Klux Klan meeting.” These are the jokes, folks. It seems that all of Harlem is working for Big, as the entire way practically everyone on the street is watching Bond and radioing in updates. Bond enters Fillet of Soul, and is immediately captured (via revolving booth) and meets Solitaire. We also meet a man named Tee Hee (because he laughs, get it?) who has a mechanical claw hand, which...does not seem very practical or useful. And then we get one of my favorite lines in a Bond movie yet. Mr. Big enters, and after hearing Bond’s standard introduction, says, “Names is for tombstones, baby. You all take this honkey out and waste him.” Beautiful. Before being carried out, Bond flirts with Solitaire a bit, pulling a lovers card, and saying, “I shan’t be long.” Outside, Bond takes them down easily, and then meeting a CIA agent named, Strutter (one of only two black heroes. Bond tells him, “Where were you when I didn’t need you,” which is also amazing. Again, I am loving Moore in this movie, he’s the most British Bond yet.

Now we’re in San Monique, where we meet Baron Samedi, “The Man Who Cannot Die”, who quite plainly defies description. Played by Geoffrey Holder (whom I read also choreographed the dancing scenes), he is a voodoo...high priest of some kind? He’s performing a dinner show for some reason right now, but he’ll be important later. At the hotel, Bond is told Mrs. Bond has been expecting him. To which he does not react as someone who just recently lost an actual wife, but whatever. In the hotel room, we get more of what I’ve called “silent spy stuff” in earlier write-ups, but it’s more gadget centric than it was in Connery’s entries. Basically pointing a device at different objects in the room to check for bugs. Meh, it’s lost a bit of appeal when it’s just boxes with antennas on them. After surviving the most ill-fated assassination attempt since the spider in Dr. No (a snake that is just supposed to somehow know it’s supposed to attack, which Bond lights on loving fire with a cigar and aerosol can), and a bath, Bond meets “Mrs. Bond”, who is actually Rosie Carver. Rosie is a CIA agent, but she’s black, so she is obviously going to betray Bond (because this movie). Rosie is...well she’s terrible. Before revealing herself to be a double agent she comes off as simply an inept CIA agent, who is easily overpowered by Bond, and then sleeps with him (about two seconds after she said she won’t, because she’s scared of a hat). She screams at everything she encounters, cries at the drop of a hat, and is later killed because she’s too scared to think rationally. Terrible character.

They meet up with a friend of Bond named Quarrel, Jr. (who Rosie almost kills because, again, she’s evil), who takes them to Solitaire’s home. Before arriving, Bond figures out that Rosie is evil, and threatens to kill her if she doesn’t start talking (after they have sex again, of course). This scene gives the worst bit of acting from Moore in the movie, mainly because I don’t buy him threatening violence against Rosie. Connery, sure, but Moore is just such a gentleman. I mean, serial rapist, sure, but gentlemanly while doing it. Rosie freaks out again (sigh) after she sees a voodoo scarecrow of some kind and runs off into the jungle. Where she is killed, because the scarecrows appear to have remote controlled guns in them, so I guess maybe she was right to be scared this one time. Kanaga had her killed because she was about to confess, but he is now pissed off at Solitaire for not seeing this complication coming. We also find out that Solitaire’s power exists because she is a virgin, and Kananga says that when the time comes for her to lose her power, he “will be the one to take it.” It’s all very uncomfortable, but it’s about to get even worse.

We get back to Bond who is now hang gliding (while smoking a cigar, like ya do), and flies onto Kanangna’s compound. Here he meets up with Solitaire, and he wastes no time before using her deeply held belief to trick her into sleeping with him. He apparently uses a stacked deck of tarot cards (that he got from...somewhere) that all show the Lovers card. They now sleep together (because she feels she has to, as it is in the cards), causing her to, at least in her mind, lose her power. I don’t feel like I can just move past this without pointing out how hosed up it is. James Bond, a man, just tricked a woman into sleeping with him, removing her purity, and therefore her source of power. It’s just wrong on so many levels. But she only seems bothered by it for a minute, because even after Bond reveals he “stacked the deck”, Solitaire sleeps with him again and decides to switch sides to work with him. It’s just...ugh.

The two of them escape in the worst getaway vehicle I have ever seen, a run down double decker bus. This is only accomplished via driving under a low clearance bridge, which takes the top clean off of the bus and blocks the cars following them. Which is exactly how that would go down, I’m sure. Kanaga is, of course, pissed at Bond for stealing his legit fortune teller. They then fly to New Orleans and, after getting in a cab, are greeted by the same jive talking cabby from Harlem (“What’s happenin’ Jim?”), who traps them and brings them to an airplane hangar, where we get one of the weirdest scenes in the movie. Mr. Big’s men show up, and to escape, Bond hops in a smaller prop plane that already has an older woman taking flying lessons. Bond says he’s a fill in instructor and the two take off. Oh not to fly or anything, just driving around the lot, causing the cars chasing them to crash somehow. He even knocks the wings off the plan via closing doors (getting a “Holy poo poo” from the student). Solitaire, however, is captured.

Bond is to meet with Strutter, but Strutter is taken out by the same jazz band from earlier. Bond and Felix head inside the Fillet of Soul Strutter had been watching, and we’re treated to a singer treating us with a cover of Live and Let Die, and it’s pretty great. Bond is then immediately captured (this time by a sinking table) by Mr. Big, who peels off his terrible mask to reveal to Bond he is Kananga. Bond should not be surprised, as, again, this makeup was awful, but he gives a “quite revealing”, so I guess he was. Bond also learns that Kananga is producing two tons of heroin and is protecting the poppy fields by exploiting the locals’ fear of voodoo. His plan is to flood the market with free heroin, producing more addicts while putting the Mafia out of business. Honestly, not a bad Bond villain plan. Kananga now becomes obsessed with trying to figure out if Bond and Solitaire slept with each other (causing her to lose her powers), and tests her by asking if he’s telling the truth when reading the serial number on the back of Bond’s watch. He threatens to cut of Bond’s pinky finger if she’s wrong, but she gets it wrong and just has Bond taken away by Teehee and Whisper. Then giving a ridiculous line, “I gave you a 50/50 shot, and you weren’t even close.” That...makes no sense, but whatever. Kananga is pissed, partly because he wanted to be the one to take her virginity, and hands her over to Baron Semedi to be sacrificed.

Bond is taken to a crocodile farm, and leaves him on a island to be eaten (cliche, I know, but Bond villains really deserve what they get for not just shooting Bond in the head and being done with it). He escapes by running along the backs of crocodiles (which is a pretty sweet stunt), sets the farm on fire and steals a speedboat. And then the speedboat scene, which is both the best and the worst scene in the entire movie. On the plus side, the speedboat chase, through the swamps and rivers on Louisiana, has impressive stunts, jumps, and crashes. It goes on for too long, but in a world of CGI fests, it’s a lot of fun to watch a group of experts zip and fly through these stunts. It really is fun.

But then...oh, but then...we meet Sheriff J.W. Pepper. And he is just the worst. He’s a loud mouth, chew swilling Sheriff seemingly bussed in from a different movie, who tries chasing both Bond and his pursuers. His Southern accent is atrocious, he’s the worst kind of stereotypical Southern cop (he tries to arrest one of Kananga’s men, calling him “boy”, telling him to put “10 fingers on the fender” and “I’m sure this isn’t your debut with this sort of thing”, and honestly making me very worried what was about to happen to one of the henchmen), and is clearly here for comic relief, but I hate it. I hate every second of him. I have no idea why he’s suddenly thrown into the movie. He even calls his brother-in-law Billy-Bob (of course that’s his name) who has the fastest boat in these here parts and “if one side of the Pepper family don’t get him, the other side will”, but Kananga’s men have already taken over his boat. Anyway, the whole thing culminates in Bond and the lead henchman having what can best be described as a boat duel, jousting and slamming into each other repeatedly, until the enemy boat explodes. It’s a pretty great ending.

Bond heads back to San Monique to rescue Solitaire, who is about to be sacrificed in a similar ritual to the one we saw in the cold open by Baron Semedi. This scene gets extremely odd, confusing, and disturbing all at the same time. A large group of black villagers are dancing, chanting, and preparing Solitaire for the sacrifice, with snakes all over the place, before Semedi himself rises straight out of a grave, with skeleton makeup on. Bond responds by immediately shooting him in the head...only to see he was a glass statue of some kind? What? But he blinked, he was not a statue...oh whatever, the real Semedi then rises from another grave, so that part was useless. Bond and Semedi fight, and I was really hoping for a knock down brawl here, but Bond tosses him into a coffin filled with snakes with great ease, so that’s down with. He rescues Solitaire and escapes into the underground lair Semedi came up from. Kanaga, once again, captures Bond with great ease (he’s getting really good at that), and plays with a shark gun Bond has from Q that shoots air compressed pellets, which he uses to inflate a couch Whisper is sitting on. I...must have missed him getting this gun, as Q isn’t even in this loving movie, and it’s introduction here is extremely sloppy, as it’s clear it’s being shown so it can be used in about 5 minutes. He ties up Bond and cuts his arm, planning on lowering him into a shark infested pool (no, not Thunderball again, I won’t do it!), but Bond escapes (after using his magnet watch to get one of the air pellets), using his watch that also apparently doubles as a buzz saw, and they fight. Watching Kananga’s fighting style with the knife is rather fascinating. It’s a short fight, and one of the few moments of physicality in the movie, but he has a very dance like quality to his movements. Anyway, the two of them fall into the water, and we get….well, here…

Bond shoves one of the air pellets into his mouth, turning into a goddamn balloon, forcing him to fly into the air, where he explodes. I’m not even kidding. What the gently caress was that? I mean, what? It happens so suddenly and makes zero sense. That’s not how anything involved with this would happen. Air, the human body, explosions, take you pick. Wow. Well, with that the movie is basically over. Bond and Solitaire take a train out of the country, where they’re attacked by Tee Hee, who, much like Wint and Kidd on Diamonds Are Forever, doesn’t really have a reason to care anymore. Bond manages to open his mechanical arm, and cuts a couple of wires (apparently it was powered via pulley system, and tosses him out of the window. It’s a lackluster fight, and suffers even worse from comparisons to the train fight in From Russia With Love, which it could never compete with. We finish the movie with a “what were they thinking” shot of a very much alive Baron Semedi riding on the back of the train and laughing. So the supernatural is real in the Bond universe? Wonderful.

Like I said at the beginning, I want to like this movie. Roger Moore slots into the role wonderfully, playing Bond in a way that is true to the character, but still uniquely his own. There are some fantastic action set pieces, as Bond uses every vehicle imaginable (car, double decker bus, plane, speed boat, inflatable dictator, etc.). The music throughout, composed by George Martin of Beatles producer fame, is perfect, using the theme song as a jumping off point. And I guess this Felix is alright. But the villains are at absolute best forgettable nothings, and at worst (and more likely) wildly racist caricatures. The themes are disturbing, dialogue flips between clever and awful, and Sophie Carver adds nothing as a Bond girl. I haven’t talked a lot about Solitaire, mainly because she has little to no character, and just kind of has things happen to her. She’s gorgeous, but has her power stolen from her directly by Bond’s penis. It's also not a very pretty movie, as the screenshots above should attest. The cinematography has taken a pretty severe step backwards, relying more on set design to draw you in. At the end of the day, I like it. But I don’t love it. I just can’t. Here’s hoping there’s less to find distractingly awful in the next entry, which I have high hopes for, knowing who plays the villain.

James Bond will return in The Man With the Golden Gun!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Yaphet Kotto owns

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Yaphet Kotto owns

Everyone should watch Homicide: Life on the Street to get their fill of Yaphet Kotto playing the lieutenant. Also Andre Braugher aka the best drat actor on TV at the time, and of course Munch. Later seasons were meh but at least had Giancarlo Esposito to make up for it.

And of course Midnight Run. I'm Agent Mosely!!! :argh:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
i) "sheer magnetism", cloth ears!

ii) Rosie wasn't trying to kill Quarrel because she's evil, she saw he had a hidden compartment in the boat with spy poo poo then went upstairs and saw him behind James holding a length of rope/line like a strangler and assumed the worst. She's crap but give her some credit, son.

ii) Yeah, Kananga's plan is actually pretty good by Bond villain standards. He's not looking to piss off governments per se, not going to start a war or destroy the world, I can respect that.

Alas, don't expect much improvement, The Man With The Golden Gun is far and away the worst Moore film. It looks cheap, it has the Worst Song this side of Madge's, and then there's the whole debacle with the slide whistle...

Christopher Lee is awesome and deserved better. :(

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sentinel Red posted:

ii) Rosie wasn't trying to kill Quarrel because she's evil, she saw he had a hidden compartment in the boat with spy poo poo then went upstairs and saw him behind James holding a length of rope/line like a strangler and assumed the worst. She's crap but give her some credit, son.

Oh I know that. I wasn't saying she almost killed him because she's evil. I'm saying she almost killed James Bond's friend because she's terrible. Or, in reality, because they needed to show how James Bond is the only intelligent person in the room on the boat.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sentinel Red posted:

Alas, don't expect much improvement, The Man With The Golden Gun is far and away the worst Moore film.

Not in a world in which A View to a Kill exists. Everything about that film outside of its theme is trash.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm really surprised that someone likes the Moore films, at all.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sentinel Red posted:

Alas, don't expect much improvement, The Man With The Golden Gun is far and away the worst Moore film. It looks cheap, it has the Worst Song this side of Madge's, and then there's the whole debacle with the slide whistle...

Plus the recurring character from Live and Let Die scene that's, like, what?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I like The Man With the Golden Gun.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Timby posted:

Not in a world in which A View to a Kill exists. Everything about that film outside of its theme is trash.

Actually, yeah, it's pretty bad too but Walken is so delightfully over the top, plus his plan is really quite appealing in hindsight. And like you say, Duran Duran theme's gotta be worth a hell of a lot more points than loving Lulu's caterwauling.

And like Neo Rasa points out, *that* cameo, gently caress me. Whyyyyyyyyyy?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Neo Rasa posted:

Plus the recurring character from Live and Let Die scene that's, like, what?

...it's the sheriff, isn't it?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fangz posted:

Most of them are pretty good. Even Moonraker is good, just really campy. Only A View To a Kill is garbage. His best film is For Your Eyes Only, which is a little slow, but very classic Bond spy stuff.

And yes, JW Pepper is back in The Man with the Golden Gun in full racist force. This time he's after the Asians! Or as he calls them "POINTY HEADS!!!"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Considering they're both Doctor and Dictators, maybe Kanaga was meant as a reference to Papa Doc. He even used Voodoo as part of his reign of terror.

Timby posted:

But I like that movie! It's got Christopher Walken! And the witty banter of John Steed and james Bond working together. Sure, it's stupid, but I find it to be the good kind of stupid.

But my favorite James Bond movie is still For Your Eyes Only. Amazing theme song.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Probably jumping ahead of ourselves but watching both The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker again, I find I actually prefer the latter now, despite its outright idiocy and bandwagon-jumping. They've practically the same plots yet at least Space Nazi Drax has an actual plan whereas aquahippie Stromberg is just going to kill everything then chill out in his tiny undersea 70s bachelor pad until he dies, the end? Say what you will about the fash, at least the monorails run on time and they don't kill all the plants and animals on earth when they go on their genocidal master race murdersprees.

Plus, y'know, the big chap's face-turn, actual space marines, and the best Q quip of all time.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

and the best Q quip of all time.

It's certainly a doozy. Not gonna spoil it since OP might not be familiar but holy poo poo it's good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

Most of them are pretty good. Even Moonraker is good, just really campy.

Moonraker frustrates me every time I watch it because I'm reminded that Ken Adam was attached to do the production design of the Phil Kaufman-directed Star Trek movie that fell through, and it would have been so good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timby posted:

Moonraker frustrates me every time I watch it because I'm reminded that Ken Adam was attached to do the production design of the Phil Kaufman-directed Star Trek movie that fell through, and it would have been so good.

Ken Adam is loving amazing. I've only seen his work on the Bond films, anything else he did that was good you can recommend?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

Ken Adam is loving amazing. I've only seen his work on the Bond films, anything else he did that was good you can recommend?

Barry Lyndon and Strangelove, of course. He also did an amazing job on Sleuth.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

I know I'm super late to the game, but all this talk about John Barry's Space March reminded me of this amazing remix that Ceephax Acid Crew did a couple years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klWZo7Nx4hw

And while I don't hate A View to a Kill, the whole snowboarding/California Girls bullshit is just absolute trash on so many levels. Like they had to some how one up on the double taking pidgeon some how. :psyduck:

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Sentinel Red posted:

Probably jumping ahead of ourselves but watching both The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker again, I find I actually prefer the latter now, despite its outright idiocy and bandwagon-jumping. They've practically the same plots yet at least Space Nazi Drax has an actual plan whereas aquahippie Stromberg is just going to kill everything then chill out in his tiny undersea 70s bachelor pad until he dies, the end? Say what you will about the fash, at least the monorails run on time and they don't kill all the plants and animals on earth when they go on their genocidal master race murdersprees.

As much as I find Moonraker to be a far worse version of The Spy Who Loved Me (in fact if it wasn't for A View to a Kill it'd be my least favorite Bond film), I will agree that Drax is a better character than Stromberg. He's such a gigantic, stuck-up prick to everybody he's great.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

And I thought our reality shows were bad.

I mean, they are, but wow.

That was 1999 too. Us British are trailblazers of unwatchably bad reality TV.

Just as an aside, here’s a list of a bunch of cameos in the franchise up to Quantum of Solace. Surprisingly, the Clampers aren’t listed.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

It's certainly a doozy. Not gonna spoil it since OP might not be familiar but holy poo poo it's good.

Can you put it in spoilers since I haven't seen that movie in years?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Fangz posted:

The Spy Who Loved Me and For Your Eyes Only are both legitimately good Bond films for completely opposite reasons. Octopussy is underrated but it definitely takes too long to end. I think the Moore films have on average some of the better stunts in the series too.

effectual posted:

Can you put it in spoilers since I haven't seen that movie in years?

"I think he's attempting re-entry"

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I watched A View To a Kill second-to last (last was OHMSS) of all Bond movies, and after talk in the previous thread I was expecting a disaster, but I actually really enjoyed it. It is basically a comedy movie, I think the jokes just work on me. As a spy thriller action (Bond) movie, it's terrible, but I think it's a laugh riot and was greatly entertained.

Also I really like The Man with the Golden Gun...the song, the movie is far too awful for how cool it could have been. I played GoldenEye on N64 at a friend's before having seen most Bond movies so I was like "holy poo poo this is the movie about the one-hit kill supergun" and it was...not.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Fangz posted:

I like the Moore films because of... Roger Moore. It's that simple. He's effortlessly charismatic, funny, and likeable in a way that Connery's more dangerous 007 never was. Sure, he's not an actor with a great amount of range (he plays Bond the same way as his characters in The Saint and The Persuaders), but he doesn't need to be - he gets by on "sheer magnetism" :haw: in the same way as Clint Eastwood and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

And even his name is a double-entendre. What's not to like?

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Payndz posted:

And even his name is a double-entendre. What's not to like?

Woah. Woahh! The biggest joke of them all, and I never noticed it....

On another note, I notice the guy starring in 50 Shades of Grey is doing the promotional rounds sporting a serious new beard... is he going to pull a "Lazenby"? Can't wait.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timby posted:

Barry Lyndon and Strangelove, of course. He also did an amazing job on Sleuth.

Strangelove I've seen, but I haven't watched Barry Lyndon yet. Need to do some Kubrick catchin up!

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Why do people like goldeneye? The movie is the worst thing in the entire franchise. brosnan does most of his own fight scenes and it shows because they are horrible. the opening is the only decent part with the crazy stuntwork

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Chrpno posted:

Woah. Woahh! The biggest joke of them all, and I never noticed it....

Also Jane "See More".

Another minor note on Live and Let Die is that unlike the other Bond films none of the women characters in it are given double-entendre names, just Yaphet Kotto's Mr Big in a possible riff on Shaft.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Slaapaav posted:

Why do people like goldeneye? The movie is the worst thing in the entire franchise. brosnan does most of his own fight scenes and it shows because they are horrible. the opening is the only decent part with the crazy stuntwork

The bit with the tank is good too.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

In Moonraker Bond cold-bloodedly murders an incapacitated man for out-quipping him. He quips repeatedly while doing it, as if to be sure he's still on top.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'm in that cohort where my first touch with Bond was the Moore movies when they were on endless repeat on TV in the 90s. Moonraker was my favourite Bond movie for a long time. Once I grew up it started losing stock but now I've learned to appreciate as the camp it is. The worst a Bond movie can do is be boring and Moonraker isn't, well, mostly isn't.

thrawn527 posted:

I love [Roger Moore], and I deeply hope the next movie gives him a better avenue for his style.

Oh boy.

quote:

Now we’re in San Monique, where we meet Baron Samedi, “The Man Who Cannot Die”, who quite plainly defies description. Played by Geoffrey Holder (whom I read also choreographed the dancing scenes), he is a voodoo...high priest of some kind?

Geoffrey Holder was a really cool cat with a varied career, he died recently. He even got a Guggenheim fellowship as a painter in the 1950s.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Slaapaav posted:

Worst thing in the entire franchise? Really? When Die Another Day exists?

I mean, at the risk of getting too ahead of myself, off the top of my head:
  • Sean Bean as one of the best Bond villains in the franchise.
  • The dam jump.
  • Judi Dench's first go as M.
  • Alan Cumming is Invincible!
  • Q's "Hunting!"
  • Famke Janssen.
  • The first time (to my knowledge) the series addresses Bond as a relic of the Cold War. Coupled with the villain being a former 00 agent makes it a sort of proto-Skyfall.
  • The tank scene.
It's one of my top three favorites, along with Casino Royale and From Russia With Love. It's shocking that anyone could consider it the worst, given how the series has produced some serious bombs. Hell, Brosnan himself three that are worse.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 11, 2015

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

thrawn527 posted:

Worst thing in the entire franchise? Really? When Die Another Day exists?

I mean, at the risk of getting too ahead of myself, off the top of my head:
  • Sean Bean as one of the best Bond villains in the franchise.
  • The dam jump.
  • Judi Dench's first go as M.
  • Alan Cumming is Invincible!
  • Q's "Hunting!"
  • Famke Janssen.
  • The first time (to my knowledge) the series addresses Bond as a relic of the Cold War. Coupled with the villain being a former 00 agent makes it a sort of proto-Skyfall.
  • The tank scene.

I rewatched it recently and was suprised how playing Goldeneye N64 made me forget how much Natalya owns. Instead of being the focus of an annoying escort mission she saves Bond's life three times in the last act and neutralizes the superweapon in 20 seconds while Bond distracts everyone by getting captured.

'She's just a guidance systems operator'
*Cut to satellite being guided straight into the ocean*

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

thrawn527 posted:

[*]The first time (to my knowledge) the series addresses Bond as a relic of the Cold War.

To be fair, it's the first time the series had an opportunity to do that, as GoldenEye was the first Bond movie to be released after the Wall came down and the Soviet Union collapsed.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Timby posted:

To be fair, it's the first time the series had an opportunity to do that, as GoldenEye was the first Bond movie to be released after the Wall came down and the Soviet Union collapsed.

Sure, I just meant this would come up a couple of times after, and it originated in Goldeneye.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
One reason I love Goldeneye.

"For England James?"

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

What the gently caress? Since when is Goldeneye anything less than one of the best Bond films?

Also, screw you all, The Man with the Golden Gun is great.

Yeah, the main love interest sucks, Sheriff Pepper is in it for no reason (Although I like how annoyingly gung-ho he is in it), they ruin one of the best car stunts in movie history with a slide whistle, and the movie is kind of racist in weird ways, but come on!

Okay, yeah, it wasn't great.

Still, I like Christopher Lee's character a lot because it's less that he wants to control the world and more that he just wants to challenge James Bond. Plus James Bond kicks a dude with a dirtstache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Biff Rockgroin posted:

What the gently caress? Since when is Goldeneye anything less than one of the best Bond films?

Also, screw you all, The Man with the Golden Gun is great.

Couldn't agree more on both points.

I just love Christopher Lee in pretty much anything. Its a Bond movie with Lee as the villain, case closed.

• Locked thread