Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which should I play as for the Generals Challenge? [Pick 3]
This poll is closed.
Laser 60 14.74%
Air Power 34 8.35%
Super Weapons 49 12.04%
Tanks 26 6.39%
Infantry 39 9.58%
Nuclear Power 68 16.71%
Toxin 48 11.79%
Stealth 42 10.32%
Explosives 41 10.07%
Total: 189 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I don't quite get why ARC's jingle is someone going to town on a cup with their spoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Not a lot of budget for instruments.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

Since jobbo pretty much directly brought it up: the different general factions are a pretty big selling point for this expansion.

I still can't believe we had to wait until the expansion for the generals in C&C Generals

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I played a bunch of this back in the day, didn't play with any mods though.

I remember a few things.

The laser PD system that paladins and avengers have can also shoot at infantry if they get too close, but it takes 2-3 shots to kill an infantry.
The reason why you want to use armed drones as USA is because they're immune to toxin weapons, there is the "medic humvee" that USA has and I think it's also immune to toxins and if put into guard mode will autoclean any toxin clouds in the area it guards, this means it can clear out the anthrax airdrop bomb before it can kill airplanes. The medic humvee will also repair vehicles in a small area around itself.

The Aircraft carrier in that one mission that you have control of, you want to tell it to "guard" an area and it will launch raptors as often as it can and those raptors will just kill everything in the area without more input from you, and then you have a poo poo ton of raptors in the air, and when you tell it to guard another area, all those raptors will already be in the air and moving to kill more stuff.

That mission against the stealth general, I remember he didn't have a GLA sniper hero, he straight up had a bunch of USA snipers around the map and garrisoned in structures.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
GLA X3: On The Waterfront

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9kPbffCQug
GLA X3: On The Waterfront

With the valuable technology and intelligence gained from Prince Kassad's compound, it is time to strike at the heart of the US forces in foreign lands. There is a Particle Cannon in the area that is currently supplying the USS Reagan. Destroy the supercarrier at all costs.

Apparently this is at Matala, but google maps doesn't show nearly as many small islands in the vicinity. :shrug:

Objective: Destroy the USS Reagan supercarrier.

Author's note: A nice mission for its cutscenes, but a little too annoying at the hardest difficulty for what you need to deal with, on top of all the island hopping.

Name: Omar bin Ghazali
Aliases: None
Affiliation: GLA
Voiced/Played by: Michael Saad

A reporter for ARC, Omar is a devoted news anchor and supporter of the GLA.

Saboteur
RANGE: Short
ARMOR: Human
WEAPON: N/A
COST: 800

This infantry unit receives special training in stealth and sabotage. Capable of climbing cliffs, the Saboteur can infiltrate enemy bases, sneak into buildings, and power them down. If a Saboteur enters an enemy Command Center, all Generals Powers are reset.

Author's Note: 800 credits is a high price to pay for an infiltration unit. I don't think I've ever built one.

Camo Nettings
FACTION: GLA
COST: 500
PREREQUISITE: Palace
PURPOSE: Provides Stealth for the building.

Applying Camo Netting to Stinger Sites and Tunnel Networks wraps them in camouflage protection.

Author's Note: Note that the cost is per building. Incredibly useful for the Stinger Sites, at the very least, and should never be skipped.

Aftermath:

With the USS Reagan sunk and the US' Mediterranean fleet in ruins, the door has been opened to finally push the filthy invaders out of the GLA's sphere of influence.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Good of the GLA to make sure all the guys recrewing US tanks have american accents.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

I'm glad Reagan dead

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fangz posted:

Good of the GLA to make sure all the guys recrewing US tanks have american accents.

This was before they screened Americans from travelling to the middle east and/or Turkey.

Broken Box posted:

I'm glad Reagan dead

:same:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This was the mission that was all over the advertising for the game. IIRC it was even the box art for Zero Hour.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:sickos:

Broken Box posted:

I'm glad Reagan dead

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 23, 2021

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I find it cute they used an upcoming unit in the cutscene again.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
This mission loving rules. I'll agree that it can get a bit too tight in terms of putting the pressure on you, but there's a lot to love here. The difficulty is actually back-loaded this time, since you don't get access to your base until well into the mission and the US can't fling infinite ground units at you, so there's always a huge bloody brawl at the end. The set pieces are some of the best we've seen, and they're both very distinctive and make a LOT of sense in the game's universe. There's some fun exploration, there's "puzzle" sections where you have to use the right units or captured equipment to progress, and then at the end you get to build your own force and just go ham. In terms of mission design, this one does a lot to make the most use of its limited map size and draw more time out of an otherwise limited perspective -- ESPECIALLY since you don't have any tools to look ahead on your own. They couldn't give you the Radar Van, you'll notice, because Radar Van Scan would just instantly end the mission, so you're basically forced to pick your way ahead one problem at a time.

This is one of the two missions in GLA-X that I would say does a lot with map design. X2 with Kassad was alright; this one is really, really good, and we'll see the other one shortly.

This is also the mission where we get to see the Battle Bus, the GLA's super-Humvee. If there's a problem with the Battle Bus it's that filling one up is putting even more eggs into one basket than the Humvee in terms of how much investment you're going to lose, though unlike the Humvee there's a chance to salvage all that time and money put into those infantry if it gets destroyed. The Battle Bus is also upgradeable! It only gets more armor, but that's really all it needs to be more effective.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Mokinokaro posted:

I find it cute they used an upcoming unit in the cutscene again.

Beep beep!

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Ahh yes THIS mission. The true beginning of Zero Hour's utterly wonderful insanity. The mission itself is pretty solid and it is incredibly unique and is a very fresh take on "island hopping", so to say. You are never under too incredible pressure but at the same time you need to keep each area you take decently defended as well, otherwise the US can and will pick your holding apart via air strikes and drops over time. Each island being it own little mini-puzzle is also very refreshing and helps keep the mission nice and varied, and encourages you try out various tactics to overcome them. Thankfully Jarmin Kell can keep you very well supplied with vehicles and the Hijackers can do in a pinch as well. Sadly you are often forced to wait for the Particle Cannon to recharge though, which can slow things down but once you finally get to your primary base, the mission is more or less solved, as now you have basicly limitless funds, but you do need to deal with the forward US Airfields sooner then later to lesson their attacks on your power base. Luckily you can sit back and Particle Cannon a solid chunk of the main island US base to soften it up before committing to a mass invasion. You do need a major force to push through the unit spam coming from the southern part of the base though, but once every Supply Drop Zone is taken out they will not gain any more money and soon run out of steam. And yeah, what a beauty of a ending cutscene there, the box art of the game wasn't lying, you really do see a Supercarrier taken out via a Particle Cannon. Next mission though, ohhh boy THAT one is another treat as well.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

This mission is also a lovely piece of escalation, showing the GLA actually dealing with one of the weapons the USA used to bully the GLA in an earlier mission

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Also straight up invading like, crete? Which is a place people in the US might actually recognize now as opposed to the rest of the game, which even when it dealt with real places was mostly just foriegnlandia where anything can happen as far as the target audience was concerned.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
GLA soundtrack goes so hard

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

NewMars posted:

Also straight up invading like, crete? Which is a place people in the US might actually recognize now as opposed to the rest of the game, which even when it dealt with real places was mostly just foriegnlandia where anything can happen as far as the target audience was concerned.

Ohoho. Ohohohohoho.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

HannibalBarca posted:

GLA soundtrack goes so hard

Agreed, out of the 3 factions its soundtack is miles above the rest.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Redeye Flight posted:

This is also the mission where we get to see the Battle Bus, the GLA's super-Humvee.

?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dropping bombs from a bus would definitely be lethal for somebody.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

what sort of tires are impervious to heavy machineguns? are vehicle landmines no longer a thing?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

If the Norton Bombsight is anything like a Norden, perhaps not. Or worse, imagine a bomb aimed by the wonderful technology powering Norton Antivirus, you'd be doomed.

protomexican
May 1, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

Dropping bombs from a bus would definitely be lethal for somebody.

A bomb is a bad choice for close range combat.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think one mod gives GLA grenadiers, so that's the closest it gets. :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

protomexican posted:

A bomb is a bad choice for close range combat.

Only if you want to survive. This is the GLA.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
GLA X4: Jarmen Kell And The Forthy Thieves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPT6i7RKYL0
GLA X4: Jarmen Kell And The Forthy Thieves

With US power projection at an all time low, their navy in Europe in ruins, and GLA strength on the rise, it is time to strike at the enemy's home front. Jarmen Kell and his strike team has infiltrated the West coast of the USA. With troops ready to move out, their mission is to steal the toxins from the Biotoxin Lab in the area. With those secured, we will be able to hold the entire world hostage!

N/A

Objective: Steal toxins from the US Toxin Facility.

Author's note: One of the better missions in the campaign(s), it is at once very hard and trivially easy.

A reporter for ARC, Omar is a devoted news anchor and supporter of the GLA.

Battle Bus
RANGE: N/A
ARMOR: Battle Bus Truck/Structure
WEAPON: N/A
COST: 1000

A re-enforced civilian bus, the Battle Bus can carry infantry units to the front line. Transported units can fire weapons from the windows of the Battle Bus. When immobilized, the Battle Bus becomes bunkered cover for the remaining troops.

Author's Note: I get why people use it, but I've never done so.

N/A

Aftermath:

With the toxins stolen, US morale at an all time low, and their forces still in disarray from our infiltration of such a secure site, we can finally put our final plans in motion.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Good thing the cargo plane took off before the ground finished glitching out of existence there.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
The Battle Bus is, as you might expect, basically just an upgraded Humvee without the ability to attack anything on its own (aside from running over infantry). It's only inferior in the sense you have to climb higher on the GLA's tech tree to get it, it's more expensive, and GLA's infantry are kinda weak. The Rebel is very bog standard and has way too short of an effective range to be of use in a Battle Bus, so you'll typically only ever load them up with RPG Troopers and maybe a Jarmen Kell if your enemy is very infantry-heavy. Unlike USA, of course, where a healthy mix of Missile Defenders and eventually Pathfinders can mulch most any ground army any faction can muster. It seems to be slightly faster than the Humvee but it has all the same weaknesses, especially aircraft like Raptors or MiGs picking them off. They also don't have a ton of armor so if your enemy ever gets into range with heavy armor or Tomahawks / Rocket Buggies, they go down very quickly. Unlike Humvees their occupants don't automatically die when the Battle Bus is immobilized, but the husk has such low health they'll all almost certainly die shortly thereafter if there's another source of damage incoming, so it's not that much of an advantage.

Also, the Ambulance absolutely does heal vehicles. Just put it near a damaged vehicle and they'll automatically heal up (an Ambulance can't heal itself but two Ambulances working together can heal each other). If it's not doing that, you're on the wrong patch or something because that functionality wasn't in the base game.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sylphid posted:

The Battle Bus is, as you might expect, basically just an upgraded Humvee without the ability to attack anything on its own (aside from running over infantry). It's only inferior in the sense you have to climb higher on the GLA's tech tree to get it, it's more expensive, and GLA's infantry are kinda weak. The Rebel is very bog standard and has way too short of an effective range to be of use in a Battle Bus, so you'll typically only ever load them up with RPG Troopers and maybe a Jarmen Kell if your enemy is very infantry-heavy. Unlike USA, of course, where a healthy mix of Missile Defenders and eventually Pathfinders can mulch most any ground army any faction can muster. It seems to be slightly faster than the Humvee but it has all the same weaknesses, especially aircraft like Raptors or MiGs picking them off. They also don't have a ton of armor so if your enemy ever gets into range with heavy armor or Tomahawks / Rocket Buggies, they go down very quickly. Unlike Humvees their occupants don't automatically die when the Battle Bus is immobilized, but the husk has such low health they'll all almost certainly die shortly thereafter if there's another source of damage incoming, so it's not that much of an advantage.

Also, the Ambulance absolutely does heal vehicles. Just put it near a damaged vehicle and they'll automatically heal up (an Ambulance can't heal itself but two Ambulances working together can heal each other). If it's not doing that, you're on the wrong patch or something because that functionality wasn't in the base game.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the Ambulance has been discussed before but I don't believe it heals vehicles in the Campaign. Could be wrong, but this is directly from Origin so if they haven't patched the game then :lol:

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure the Ambulance has been discussed before but I don't believe it heals vehicles in the Campaign. Could be wrong, but this is directly from Origin so if they haven't patched the game then :lol:

Huh, very strange it doesn't do that in the campaign in the version you have. At least I'm pretty sure early aughts EA wasn't askew enough to have the Ambulance do something differently in campaign versus multiplayer. We've actually seen two instances of things technically being different already but I can say more about that in the Generals Challenge.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sylphid posted:

Huh, very strange it doesn't do that in the campaign in the version you have. At least I'm pretty sure early aughts EA wasn't askew enough to have the Ambulance do something differently in campaign versus multiplayer. We've actually seen two instances of things technically being different already but I can say more about that in the Generals Challenge.

I mean, even just mentioning the Challenge kind of implies that it is possible the Campaign was handled different. I doubt EA, but :shrug:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Very bold position of Westwood, to subtly imply that early that the anthrax mail may actually have been false flags done by American proxies.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

This is my favorite mission out of this campaign. Yes, it's mostly a very big set piece, but it's also a very cool set piece and a badly needed scenery change. It also makes you use a lot of parts of the GLA kit that wouldn't see a lot of use otherwise, which I always consider a plus. There's a lot of cool pieces of design in here, though I'm also always a sucker for missions that make you control two teams of units separated from each other. It's also another mission that really makes you feel like you're doing that irregular warfare thing the GLA is supposed to do, slinking around through winding pathways, hitting enemy hardpoints in their weak sides, building up a team where you've hijacked a ton of it from your enemies...

This is also your final warning. Buckle in.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 28, 2021

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Redeye Flight posted:

This is my favorite mission out of this campaign. Yes, it's mostly a very big set piece, but it's also a very cool set piece and a badly needed scenery change. It also makes you use a lot of parts of the GLA kit that wouldn't see a lot of use otherwise, which I always consider a plus. There's a lot of cool pieces of design in here, though I'm also always a sucker for missions that make you control two teams of units separated from each other. It's also another mission that really makes you feel like you're doing that irregular warfare thing the GLA is supposed to do, slinking around through winding pathways, hitting enemy hardpoints in their weak sides, building up a team where you've hijacked a ton of it from your enemies...

This is also your final warning. Buckle in.

Same, I just utterly love this map, it is so incredibly unique and such a nice changeup from the rest of the game. The back and forth between your two commando teams is handled very well, and being able to indirectly support one another through various actions until eventually linking them back up a fair way through the map makes for a fun first half. Not being under any real pressure for the beginning lets you focus on one team without worrying some outside event will take out the other and I like the various little puzzles you are presented with, allowing you to make good use of each of your units abilities. This mission also massively goes out of its way to NOT allow any sort of production but there is a small trick you can do. You actually do gain some credits whenever a toxin truck unloads at the plane but triggers zero it out almost instantly. However, on slower speeds and with quick reflexes, you can build a Ranger at a captured Barracks if you are incredibly quick but this honestly doesn't do much in the long run. Still kind of neat though. Also, the sell button is flat out disabled so no extra money there. Sadly, the siege at the end really is a letdown, even if you took some losses as long as you snag those bunkers and fill em with Rocket Infantry, there is little the AI can do. If they came from more angles quicker, so your forces got stretched or if the attacks became overwhelming close to the end it might pose a challenge but nope, just stick Jermen Kell and the Hijackers by the plane just in case an odd unit or two pathfinds its way that way and relax until the mission ends. Also fun thing, no Rangers will ever come out of US buildings this mission.

Now the Battle Bus, a fun unit let down by its average health pull. It can pack a decent punch when fully loaded up thanks to its generous infantry garrison size but as stated, GLA infantry are not exactly much to write home about, although if you gain access to US or Chinese infantry you can do some good work. When it "dies" the infantry inside lose 50% of their health and the Battle Bus becomes a bunker. This bunker does benefit from Junk Repair and actually has even more health then the "alive" Battle Bus but unless the attacking force is small, it generally won't survive for too long. It can be handy as a roadbump at least though. Amazing voice lines though, the driver is just so happy.

And yes, get ready folks. I and others have been hyping the GLA campaign up quite a lot and while the last two missions have been off the walls crazy, the GLA final takes the freaking cake no contest. And of course after there is the China campaign as well... heh eheh heh...

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Gonna be honest, my memory of the GLA campaign ended when we lazered the Carrier so I can't wait to see the final bullshit.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
GLA X5: Sneak Attack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHS15VOBaSI
GLA X5: Sneak Attack

With American power outside of North America at one of its lowest points, the decision has been made to strike at their Central Command in Europe. This blow will reshape the power dynamics of the entire globe, and the GLA have only to show them the error of their ways. Eliminate them all, leave no one standing!

Oddly specific in that the mission reads Stuttgart-Vaihingen, which is the south-western part of the Stuttgart area.

Objective: Eliminate the US Central Command in Europe.

Author's note: I'm a sucker for AI friendlies in chaotic RTS' and this was a level I'd forgotten completely, and enjoyed thoroughly.

A reporter for ARC, Omar is a devoted news anchor and supporter of the GLA. Was promoted to news anchor after some time as a field reporter.

N/A

Booby Traps
PREREQUISITE: Barracks
PURPOSE: Places booby traps on a neutral building or unit.

The Booby Trap upgrade allows Rebel units to place invisible explosive charges on any structures or buildings. Enemy combatants that attempt to commandeer them detonate the charges.

Author's Note: I never really use these, ever. We've seen how effective they can be, but I see it more as a vs-Player campaign thing.

Fortified Structure
PREREQUISITE: Palace
PURPOSE: Increases building defenses.

The Fortified Structure upgrades the external armor of GLA structures.

Author's Note: No reason not to get this, the only buildings not affected are defensive structures and the Scud Storm.

Aftermath:

The United States Armed Forces have been completely crushed! No longer will they impose their will outside of their homeland, and no longer shall the GLA be opposed! The day is ours, and the glorious future of the GLA awaits!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I appreciate that at the height of the GLA their reporter is in a full-on newsdesk looking more professional than usual.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The GLA's leadership being some flavor of post-Soviet communist wouldn't be unheard of, actually. A lot of real-life anti-Western sentiment in the Middle East associates Western powers heavily with exploitative corporations out to plunder the Middle East for its natural resources, particularly oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
But what will this mean for my stock prices, ARC?!?!