Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

There was supposed to be a Miller outfit for DD. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'm already in bed, someone else find the nightmare mod where DD has Miller's face and screams instead of barks.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

After The War posted:

I'm already in bed, someone else find the nightmare mod where DD has Miller's face and screams instead of barks.

I don't have a capture of that mod's intended effects, but I did save a video of how it inadvertently replaced the wild dogs' sound effects :ohdear:

https://i.imgur.com/R9lUjRj.mp4

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
I’ve been replaying the poo poo out of MGSV for the last month and a half or so, basically just replaying missions and trying to collect all the S-ranks and side objectives. I want to keep going, but admittedly the gameplay loop is starting to feel a tad stale. I saw someone on Reddit mention the power you can get from the Infinite Heaven mod, and I kind of want to use it to introduce a greater challenge, but I’m worried how it may affect my completion percentage and achievements. I’m at ~88% completion now… would it be better to slog through the last bit on vanilla before potentially loving up my game, or is the mod pretty safe and compatible?

By the way, everyone should look up the D-Miller mod on YouTube just for the pure, hilarious absurdity of the Miller Dog model.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Captain Hygiene posted:

I was seeing discussion based around this example from the guide, which is kind of cagey about durations:

I couldn't find my own copy of the book to confirm what all's in it. Unfortunately, it's been long enough since I played the game that I can't remember the specifics in practice either.

Colonel, don't you think it's stupid that all of this information is only explained in a collectors' edition book that retailed for over 70 dollars?

Raiden if you're too poor to buy The Book... you're of no use to us, how can you ever be expected to purchase schlattcoins to defend your e-base on the interskates? This is the will of the Patriots

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
So I mean I guess that says they will eventually go from combat to search mode (which is definitely true, there's the "he's gone, starting our sweep" thing) and then eventually they will stand down to alert status. I know what I remember though (setting off a radio alert definitely leads to every base in the region being permanently red) so maybe there is a "floor" where after a full combat alert they never come fully back off alert because they know you're there. I don't see a full flowchart of all the states.

the guide does helpfully explain all the best ways to ogle quiet tho (and several more in the "easter eggs" section!)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh god, I forgot how in depth the ogling Quiet mechanics are :negative:

Well thankfully the mod community is here to make things wholesome again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87YXRvfMDlM

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

So I mean I guess that says they will eventually go from combat to search mode (which is definitely true, there's the "he's gone, starting our sweep" thing) and then eventually they will stand down to alert status. I know what I remember though (setting off a radio alert definitely leads to every base in the region being permanently red) so maybe there is a "floor" where after a full combat alert they never come fully back off alert because they know you're there. I don't see a full flowchart of all the states.

the guide does helpfully explain all the best ways to ogle quiet tho (and several more in the "easter eggs" section!)

her constant fidgeting in the helicopter is pretty distracting when im working on my PDA trying to pick out soldiers to send to their death for a couple thousand bucks

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You guys seriously not realize Sandler is a great actor? Go watch Punch Drunk Love, Uncut Gems, or even Hustle

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'm just hoping the Brendan Fraser win leads more people to rediscover Airheads, that's Sandler I can get behind.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

He's been great in some serious roles, but he still does enough terrible stuff that I have a gut reaction to seeing his dumb goofball face pop up. If he's in that movie and does a good job, I'll be fine with it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
he's gonna be the guard who shits himself

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

site posted:

he's gonna be the guard who shits himself

So in a decade's time he'll be the man to save the world because he's an antivaxxer afraid of needles and that makes him immune to Liquid's plan?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
lol if anyone thinks that movie is ever seriously going to get made.

Vogt-Roberts is also attached to the Gundam movie, and that is never going to get made either.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gaius Marius posted:

You guys seriously not realize Sandler is a great actor? Go watch Punch Drunk Love, Uncut Gems, or even Hustle

It’s great how he went back to doing the worst poo poo imaginable after Uncut Gems.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s great how he went back to doing the worst poo poo imaginable after Uncut Gems.

I loved Uncut Gems and Reign Over Me, and the other movies not so much (I don't remember anything about Punch Drunk Love).

Apparently, he makes dumb comedy movies as an excuse to go on vacation and get paid to goof around with his friends, and people keep watching them. I respect the hustle.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sandler and the Safdies are already brewing something up. Sandler got a 300 page script from them about baseball card collecting. Bound for Netflix once it's done unfortunately, hopefully they actually release the drat thing in theatres.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Do you suppose it was called Metal Gear Rex more for the dinosaur connection or the king connection?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Arbite posted:

Do you suppose it was called Metal Gear Rex more for the dinosaur connection or the king connection?

I don't think there's an official in-universe explanation. We do know Yoji Shinkawa designed REX.

My personal theory is that they wanted something that fits with the bipedal tank concept so they looked at dinosaurs for inspiration.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Octagon saw Jurassic Park and wanted to remake the TRex as a robot, this is the only explanation

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

When the cockpit is open it looks like a mouth and it roars like a big dinosaur

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Apparently, he makes dumb comedy movies as an excuse to go on vacation and get paid to goof around with his friends, and people keep watching them. I respect the hustle.

Exactly. The guy gets paid to stupid poo poo. How can one not respect this?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Otacon deciding that somewhere in the making of his nuclear armed walking death mobile peaceful 20 foot tall missile robot that he also had to make it roar like a dinosaur is the funniest thing

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Otacon deciding that somewhere in the making of his nuclear armed walking death mobile peaceful 20 foot tall missile robot that he also had to make it roar like a dinosaur is the funniest thing

I mean, wouldn't you? Especially if you were a giant anime nerd?

Otacon explicitly got into mech design to make robots like the ones in his Japanese Animes.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

I really love that Otacon is so smartdumb he didn't realize Rex was an offensive weapon while making it.

"Okay, time to finally atone for my family's nuclear history by building a roaring mech that launches undetectable nuclear missiles..."

edit to be fair I just remembered he didn't design the railgun bit

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 15, 2023

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The Patriots put the "roar" button there, obviously. Wait, are they the ones responsible for REX, or was it built as one of Solidus's bargaining chips against them?

Whichever, it was one of those guys.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just want to say that I greatly appreciate Christopher Randolph voicing Huey in MGS5.

Also, in my mind, the reason venom sounds different is obvious, and Ishmael sounding the same is because of venom's mind being all hosed up. :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 15, 2023

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Him sounding like that in ground zeroes kinda ruins that idea but funnily enough would actually make more sense if they kept their original idea to have it as a flashback on the chopper ride back from rescuing Kaz.

It would have been good if they got Hayter to voice BB in Ground Zeroes but I suppose it would have made the twist even more obvious.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I suppose.

I like Sutherland, he's a good actor, there's nothing wrong with his voice in and of itself, but there's no campiness whatsoever.

Same with Ocelot in 5, but I guess that's just a problem with the game itself.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh there's some campiness in there but you need to get to the part where Kaz and Code Talker start debating the ideal American hamburger.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If REX has a roar button does that mean the Gecko’s AI has a fart function?

I’d have more of an opinion on Sutherland if he ever actually loving talked in MGS5.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I don't mind Sutherland for the most part, he's mostly just low-key. But sometimes he's just weirdly off in delivery - that moment when you rescue Kaz and he asks you to say the line, Kiefer does the most bizarrely flat "Kept you waiting. Huh." like it's the first time he's read a sentence. I know for a fact that they had better takes, because he says it elsewhere in the game with at least a slight attempt to inflect it like he's a real person.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't mind Sutherland for the most part, he's mostly just low-key. But sometimes he's just weirdly off in delivery - that moment when you rescue Kaz and he asks you to say the line, Kiefer does the most bizarrely flat "Kept you waiting. Huh." like it's the first time he's read a sentence. I know for a fact that they had better takes, because he says it elsewhere in the game with at least a slight attempt to inflect it like he's a real person.

He also says it at the start of Ground Zeroes

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Larryb posted:

He also says it at the start of Ground Zeroes

See, I found that one to be weird.

It felt like "keptyouwaitinghuh" just all put together, not even a rhetorical question. Ah well, it's not a huge deal breaker for me in any sense.

The other day, I finally completed the mission where you get Huey out of his lab and holy poo poo, hiding from that Metal Gear and barely escaping :stare:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The other day, I finally completed the mission where you get Huey out of his lab and holy poo poo, hiding from that Metal Gear and barely escaping :stare:

I'm looking forward to that one, running around being chased by a giant angry dinobot is wild as hell. And doubly weird that it just pops up at the end of one of the game's longer missions, which is already disguised as a simple side-op.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean I get why Sutherland is so stilted, but he still does a good job IMO and some of the odder line reads make sense in a certain light.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

After The War posted:

The Patriots put the "roar" button there, obviously. Wait, are they the ones responsible for REX, or was it built as one of Solidus's bargaining chips against them?

Whichever, it was one of those guys.

I think it was some secret plan by Solidus. But Ocelot was there so I guess it wasn't so secret. Als Ocelot also leaked all the info on REX to the Net... Yeah, you were right with the "who loving knows."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, like.... Are foxhound named the way they are specifically because of the naming convention set up on mother base in 5?

Also, I wonder if there is some sort of block on the names of soldiers in 5 not being randomly matched up to be the same as the members of foxhound.

Actually, are the words psycho, sniper, vulcan, and decoy even in 5? And did they include mantis, wolf, raven, and octopus as animals in the list? I haven't thought to look so far.

:thunk: