Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

ninjewtsu posted:

Start at lord and go up or down from there

For maps I recommend small maps with lots of independent cities

Thanks. How about starting leader choices? I like making lots of stuff if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Every Race and Class combo is good. I'd recommend against taking partisan or explorer, but the specializations are also all pretty good. A mastery is probably a better idea than 2 adepts.

Maybe don't go Rogue, the AI can see (but can't attack) invisible units, which is one of the biggest strengths of the Rogue, so you need a better grip on what you're doing to go Rogue against the AI.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

vulturesrow posted:

Getting tired of the campaign although my completionist urges will no doubt make me finish at some point. Looking for a)some recommended setting for a good not too hard AI settings since I'm still learning the game (although the campaign has been pretty good so far although I've only had a Rogue, Archdruid, and Theocrat as leader. I like being able to make lots of buildings and stuff, so what would be a good leader setup for that? I like the idea of the Rogue playstyle but I think you need some more experience to pull that off.

If you want to go heavy building, then try dreadnaught, with expander for extra pop growth. Elves, Humans and Dwarves make good dreadnaughts, because most of their units are armored and dreadnaughts have skills that buff that. If you play the first mission of the Commonwealth campaign, that will give you a Dreadnaught to play with in an easy level to see how it works.

If you're feeling adventurous, you can go Goblin Dreadnaught with Expander, Explorer and Grey Guard Adept. Goblin Engineers do ludicrous damage, but are extremely fragile (27hp base). The trick is to stack all the defensive buffs on them (Scales Of Fortune, Shield Of Dispassion, and Solid Engineering) and look for Crystal Tree structures (for the Enchanted Armory building) and Trade Posts (for the Mercenary Camp building). All together you can end up with engineers coming out of the gate with 15+ defense, which hopefully should be enough to keep them alive after you run into the middle of a pile of enemies and blast at them all with the poison blunderbuss of doom.

Edit: Also, the Mercenary Camp adds +1 to every damage channel for irregulars, so a normal engineer gets +2 damage on most of their attacks (e.g. Fire Blunderbus goes from 8/8 to 9/9), but a goblin one has triple damage attacks, so it gets +3! (Blunderbuss goes from 6/6/5 to 7/7/6)

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 10:00 on May 3, 2015

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

If you want to go heavy building, then try dreadnaught, with expander for extra pop growth. Elves, Humans and Dwarves make good dreadnaughts, because most of their units are armored and dreadnaughts have skills that buff that. If you play the first mission of the Commonwealth campaign, that will give you a Dreadnaught to play with in an easy level to see how it works.

If you're feeling adventurous, you can go Goblin Dreadnaught with Expander, Explorer and Grey Guard Adept. Goblin Engineers do ludicrous damage, but are extremely fragile (27hp base). The trick is to stack all the defensive buffs on them (Scales Of Fortune, Shield Of Dispassion, and Solid Engineering) and look for Crystal Tree structures (for the Enchanted Armory building) and Trade Posts (for the Mercenary Camp building). All together you can end up with engineers coming out of the gate with 15+ defense, which hopefully should be enough to keep them alive after you run into the middle of a pile of enemies and blast at them all with the poison blunderbuss of doom.

Edit: Also, the Mercenary Camp adds +1 to every damage channel for irregulars, so a normal engineer gets +2 damage on most of their attacks (e.g. Fire Blunderbus goes from 8/8 to 9/9), but a goblin one has triple damage attacks, so it gets +3! (Blunderbuss goes from 6/6/5 to 7/7/6)

I probably should've mentioned I dont have any of the DLC. :smith:

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

vulturesrow posted:

I probably should've mentioned I dont have any of the DLC. :smith:

Dwarf Dreadnaught with Expander and your magic sphere of choice is all base game stuff :)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Were there any plans to revisit some of the older dwellings in a future patch? the new merfolk dwelling has a economy line for +20 to everything with all the buildings being cheap, making for fast production of the troops from one, was wondering if there were any ideas to do the same to the giants and others.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Still need more volunteers for the goon tourney! I've got 11 signups so far, but I could really use an even number for bracket purposes, you know?

quote:

Getting tired of the campaign although my completionist urges will no doubt make me finish at some point. Looking for a)some recommended setting for a good not too hard AI settings since I'm still learning the game (although the campaign has been pretty good so far although I've only had a Rogue, Archdruid, and Theocrat as leader. I like being able to make lots of buildings and stuff, so what would be a good leader setup for that? I like the idea of the Rogue playstyle but I think you need some more experience to pull that off.

If you like building stuff definitely give Dwarf Dreadnaught a go.Take Expander and whatever Mastery you think looks cool.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

I don't think TBS multi is ever going to be really popular. Stuff like HoMM is about as quick as you can get for tactical battles (5 even had a battle specific skirmish mode) and it still wasn't fast enough.

It just takes too long for casual pick up and play games, Total War does slightly better with real time combat duels, but I'm not sure even TW is hugely popular in MP.

Endless Legend does the tactical battle thing fairly decently and quick, actually. But it's structured very differently than AOW or HOMM (tactical battles take place on the world map so they don't pause the action for any player and, yes, this does mean you can have 3 way battles sometimes.)

I vastly prefer AOW 3's battle system mind.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

AI can see (but can't attack) invisible units

Actually, this may be broken. I just had a bone dragon run around and murder two of my spying faeries in a vs AI game yesterday. After it killed the second one, i reloaded the autosave and moved her to a new position, and the drat dragon went straight to her and killed her - no wandering, just made a beeline for my supposedly concealed faerie.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Were there any plans to revisit some of the older dwellings in a future patch? the new merfolk dwelling has a economy line for +20 to everything with all the buildings being cheap, making for fast production of the troops from one, was wondering if there were any ideas to do the same to the giants and others.

This would be pretty great. Though i think the giant dwelling may already have a +20 production building as part of its required chain. Maybe some +production in the faerie dwelling - just enough to make buttercups a single-turn-producible unit?

Sjonnar fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 3, 2015

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Nasgate posted:

just played a Theo game. of the four races i made exalted with, I'd rank them as follows 1.Dwarves 2/3. Tie between Humans(morespirit damage) and Orcs(war cry and more melee damage) 4. Tigrans(bloodthirsty isn't that useful since the most accessible bleed unit is a t1)

I personally love the hell out of human necro.

There's so many cool race combos now between the race variants and RG upgrades it's kinda crazy and overwhelming even for me. I forget new little synergies all the time.

Fun Fact!

There's a total of 4 Martyr Variations, (Not counting Orcs, as it's cosmetic only) 7 Crusaders, 5 Evangelists, and 6 Exalted, which means that Theocrat alone has 22 Unique Race Variations of Class units!

And that's not even counting how much Racial Governance bonuses changes everything, for example:

Every Draconian Theocrat class unit is boosted by Military 3 (Evangelists) or 5 (Everything else)

Every Dwarf Theocrat class unit is boosted by Military 4, while Crusaders and Evangelists also get Military 5, ect.

And so on through all 9 races.

This game has gotten nuts, but in a good way.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's fun for me to try to min/max the combinations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
My only real complaint with Theocrat these days is I wish all Evangelists had a ranged attack like humans and draconians do. I find it hard to justify building them at all unless I'm playing one of those races.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

My only real complaint with Theocrat these days is I wish all Evangelists had a ranged attack like humans and draconians do. I find it hard to justify building them at all unless I'm playing one of those races.

Play Dwarves. Dwarf Armored Evangelists can frontline with no issues, and Elf Evangelists with Total Awareness aren't far behind. Halfling Evangelists just touch themselves and dodge everything. Evangelist punches are strong in general, but get absurd against whatever poor Undead units try to take them on.

Actually I find Evangelists in general to be a fair bit hardier than you'd expect, it's just a psychological block that makes you want to coddle them more than necessary. And even "just" being a high HP support unit with Convert and Heal and Touch of Faith makes them one of the strongest and most versatile support units around.

madmac fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 3, 2015

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Necromancer Probs:

If you're at (max heroes - 1) with a dead hero, and an enemy hero suicides into your ghoul curser, is there any way to get back your dead hero? You can't raise dead with max heroes, you can't dismiss heroes that I can find, and if you kill off the new jerk you'll just raise him instead.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011
The AI seems particularly surrender happy, especially on Lord or below. I took one city from this guy and he just quits. It had at least two other fairly large cities.

Also, i can't seem to transform a creation node to destruction? Bug or feature?

Sjonnar fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 3, 2015

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

PFlats posted:

Necromancer Probs:

If you're at (max heroes - 1) with a dead hero, and an enemy hero suicides into your ghoul curser, is there any way to get back your dead hero? You can't raise dead with max heroes, you can't dismiss heroes that I can find, and if you kill off the new jerk you'll just raise him instead.

This also happens when AI surrender to you. Sucks not be to able to get back a hero that you've been grooming. Still, the hero rez spell comes up late enough that anything but big slow games are coming to a climax anyway. Which also kind of sucks if you like a particular hero, especially now with the unique perks they get, but there it is.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Carnalfex posted:

This also happens when AI surrender to you. Sucks not be to able to get back a hero that you've been grooming. Still, the hero rez spell comes up late enough that anything but big slow games are coming to a climax anyway. Which also kind of sucks if you like a particular hero, especially now with the unique perks they get, but there it is.
Yeah, it's a pain. Maybe a non-violent way to dismiss heroes would be nice?

(If you could permanently assign one as a city governor to give it a bonus, that'd be doubly cool.)

Sjonnar posted:

You can only convert unaligned Mana Nodes. Once they're elemental, they're stuck that way.

Also, Dark Ritual cadavers don't get the bonuses from your Dedicated to X city spells. Not a big deal, but I wanted super-crit cadavers defending my frontier town.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Sjonnar posted:

The AI seems particularly surrender happy, especially on Lord or below. I took one city from this guy and he just quits. It had at least two other fairly large cities.

I find it depends on both the size and origin of the city.

In 4 turns I took six cities from an AI, leaving him with 3. He did not give up. Those cities all belonged to the other AI he conquered. As soon as I took his city he built, he surrendered.

On the flip side, the other AI I fought came at my capital with two doom stacks, when it saw my two exalted six stacks show up in addition to my capital stack it tried to run, but I murdered his leader and two heroes, his horrors, converted one hero.

He surrendered next turn even though it had 4 cities and two metropolises.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Honestly all the scenarios people are describing where the AI surrenders seem pretty one sided. If it was a 1v1 fight no one has much of a chance to come back from having 2/3 of their empire conquered in a single turn, or their entire army crushed. What might be cool is if they took diplomacy and history into account like the factions in total war do, so that interesting stories would arise organically. If one leader has had beef with another all game and they have been hitlering each other's races they would have a tiny tiny chance, if any, to surrender, for example. Or they might surrender more easily if they see you have several allies in your pocket. Or refuse because they have buddies that will come to their aid. Stuff like that.

Of course it would be pretty awesome to see diplomacy include requests to attack or defend specific towns so you could actually call allies to your aid, doubly if the AI did it. Throwing in some messages when the AI sends such a request would make them feel a ton more interactive, too. The grovelling and poo poo talking we got with the expansion are great, and more of that would rock.

e: this sort of thing would be even more awesome if factions could return to play like they can in total war, either through being liberated by other factions or liberating themselves through rebellion. It would also give a bit more of a reason for people to stay and watch games after being knocked out, as well as not quitting early in a huff, if they had even a slim chance for a comeback. Obviously not something that would be a factor in a team game. I do think free for all royal rumbles is kind of where games like this shine, where diplomatic ties can shift and anyone might make a comeback as treachery and stalwart alliances come into play to address imbalances of power. Even human players have a tendency to gang up on the leader, no one wants to come in second place.

Diplomacy is already negatively impacted by approaching alternate win conditions, but the AI feels weird when it comes to standard play. It doesn't band together to take on a steamrolling lead player, or form lasting opinions that solidify with time if certain trends in behavior between players is noticed, or backstab, or respond to leaders known to be backstabbers, etc. This could probably be addressed by tossing in some diplomatic relationship modifiers and messages they would send. Would make the AI feel a lot more human in the same way the messages that were recently put in do. Total war does a pretty solid job at this. Now that I think of it, it would be something relatively easy to mod, just adding/changing number values and some text.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 3, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

madmac posted:

Play Dwarves. Dwarf Armored Evangelists can frontline with no issues, and Elf Evangelists with Total Awareness aren't far behind. Halfling Evangelists just touch themselves and dodge everything. Evangelist punches are strong in general, but get absurd against whatever poor Undead units try to take them on.

Actually I find Evangelists in general to be a fair bit hardier than you'd expect, it's just a psychological block that makes you want to coddle them more than necessary. And even "just" being a high HP support unit with Convert and Heal and Touch of Faith makes them one of the strongest and most versatile support units around.

Evangelists hit really hard with Melee attacks, especially if you can get a res penalty or spirit vuln on something. They don't have the defense of a tier 3 melee unit, but they punch as hard. Spirit elementals also have stupid powerful melee attacks and you should ignore that their primary attack is spirit ray.

Are there any other units with ranged primary attacks that get gnarly melee? Shamans and Razorbows also punch decently hard, but not not on the same level.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Playing Orc Dreadnought I ended up punching with my Musketeers more often than I actually bothered with reloading their guns. They were surprisingly competent at it.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
That's the thing though. One AI I took 60% of his towns, all but one of his metropolises. And he didn't give up.

The other lost two six stacks. Oh wait, I remember now that I defended against the rest of his armies with my support squad I got from multiculture. Yeah.... taking out three six stacks with 5 supports was pretty awesome. Draconian Elder and Orc shaman were mvp. Though the forge priest meleed the poo poo out of a floating apprentice that got on the walls.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Kajeesus posted:

Are there any other units with ranged primary attacks that get gnarly melee? Shamans and Razorbows also punch decently hard, but not not on the same level.

Beholders are like this too, they can wreck things in melee.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Actually speaking of that match, I feel the AI needs better mana management and dispell prioritization. Instead of summoning horrors and node serpents, which would've destroyed my support defense squad. The AI kept dispelling prayer for the hurt and sanctified sites.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

Start at lord and go up or down from there

For maps I recommend small maps with lots of independent cities

Wouldnt a bigger map be better for a newbie game?

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Kajeesus posted:

Reanimators punch way above their weight as so many things resist either frost or blight damage, or both, but not nearly as many resist physical and spirit. I'll generally toss black bolts as i'm closing, hoping to apply some lucky despair or curse, but go to fists once i get close enough. Does not apply to draco reanimators though - bane fire is pretty hoss.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

What do you use against Shadow Stalkers as a High Elf Warlord?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

victrix posted:

What do you use against Shadow Stalkers as a High Elf Warlord?

Storm Sisters, and Mounted Archers after you get to Military 4 for Arcane Arrows.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

vulturesrow posted:

Wouldnt a bigger map be better for a newbie game?

A smaller map is over more quickly, and you want to get 2-3 winning games against the AI so you can figure out what works and what doesn't. After you get a good, solid understanding of How to Avoid Obvious Mistakes, then you should go to bigger maps. With the increased distances and poo poo comes a need for more strategic foresight, not to mention more approaches for random AI scout/flyer gank teams (and more resources for the AI, so as the game goes on if you're having this problem it will get substantially worse).

At least, that's my guess for why the small map to start recommendation. In other news, a friend of mine bought AoW III vanilla a long time ago and never really got into it. We started up an online game a couple of weeks ago and I regurgitated a lot of advice I got from this thread (and later linked him the madmac guides); now he's flank-chaining T3 guards down with well-planned T1 groups on turn 7 and getting alarmingly good at murderballing with a necro. Kudos again to madmac, Gerb, and the other military advice posters here.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

This brings up an interesting question that hasn't really been discussed so far. How early do you guys go about cleaning Legendary, Epic and Mythical sites? Strong sites can be easily cleared just with your starting units. But the others in my experience usually require some specific counter, levelled up starting units and heroes, or simply a more powerful stack.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I'm not against hurling a sacrificial stack of non-heroes and hoping to clear the chaff from legendary sites before the main squad rolls in.

Also, I'm putting the finishing touches to a Wild Magic guide, should be nice for people who have yet to try it, or not gone deeply enough into it. Seriously, do a wild magic mastery game. I just turned an orc priest into a obsidian dragon. :stare:

E: Dear god this thing is 3+ pages in Google docs, and thats before Mad mac's input. :stonk:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 3, 2015

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Are there any unit/building tree style images out there?

I find the 'flat' presentation of all the buildings in the game always leads to me forgetting to build some prereq or constantly checking a website in another window which is annoying. A handful of images could convey everything I'm looking for.

edit: Basically exactly like this one, just more of em for races/classes/units/schools/spells/skills/etc

victrix fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 3, 2015

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
I find early it's hard to not lose too many units in autocombat without resting for what feels like "too much" time. Any advice?

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011
Hey, a tip for newbie necromancers: ghoul curse is considered a spirit element attack vs the target's resistance. So both despair stacks (-spirit res) and blight doctor's weaken (-resistance) help to make a target more susceptible to ghoul cursing. I just ghouled a glutton in a lost city, and then a tigran warbreed in a ziggurat using this method. So if you see a particularly choice target for ghoulification, hit them with weaken first, to drop their resistance to your despair procs, then stack despair as high as you can without killing your target, then go in for the kill with your deathbringer. I think i had about 60% chance to ghoul the glutton and 80% for the warbreed. And let me tell you, zombie Jabba will Ruin Your poo poo.

Malachamavet posted:

I find early it's hard to not lose too many units in autocombat without resting for what feels like "too much" time. Any advice?

Run it yourself to use proper tactics and minimize your losses. The AI does not use many units properly and that leads to nasty attrition. That's the main reason i hate autocalc vs AI - any race/class that depends on good tactics (like necros and tigrans) gets shafted. If you can't do it yourself, like for this tourney that's coming up, then just suck it up and accept your losses to keep rolling. Try to get a feel for what units tend to die in autocalc and have replacements already training for when the AI inevitably gets your best guys killed.

Sjonnar fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 3, 2015

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Malachamavet posted:

Don't use autocalc unless you have a gigantic advantage and no troops that are significantly faster than others (the AI loves to hurl fast troops out in suicide charges to get flanked to death). Even then the AI will generally try its best to find ways to murder your most beloved units if you give it the steering wheel. Combat AI focuses on getting kills and dealing damage, not so much on staying alive. That is fine when it is controlling the army of an AI player with a boosted income that can easily replace losses, but painful when it is your stuff.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The advice from the beginner guide on the official website where it says to use both starting stacks for the same clear really helped me minimize early game losses.

I also prioritize bandit camps, trading posts, inns, and farms so I can get new units while my city focuses on getting better production.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
What's the strategy behind recruiting new heroes? Do you literally always want to recruit heroes if you have the money?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Periodiko posted:

What's the strategy behind recruiting new heroes? Do you literally always want to recruit heroes if you have the money?

There are situations where there is something you want more than a shiny new hero, but those situations are rare. The main problem is rejecting a hero means not getting another offer for 10 turns or whatever.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Wild Magic Specialization, playing dice with the goddess of luck and magic.

Added in Golden Realms, the Wild Magic specialization is the Crazy yet Well Rounded choice that only wants for direct damage. A really good specialization that everyone should try at least once!

To start with, I want to stress that Adept is really good and goes with everything. Seriously. With the three new specialization’s to choose from, if you ever find yourself wondering what to go for the third, Adept gives you the following:

A nearly unremovable debuff for 20 casting points, an interesting battlefield disruption tool also for 20 casting points and a really good debuff for 15 casting points. You also net a solid, if unpredictable summoning spell and some extra mana income from Heart structures.

The only thing you don't get is direct damage, but you didn’t sign up to meddle with the raw powers of chaotic magic to huck fireballs at people!

Lets get into the details. Wild Adept gives you:

Wild Magic is the free “you’re a wild adept!” spell and gives you 10 extra mana per turn from Heart Structures. These are the Heart of the Blight, Tropics, Arctic, Glades and Volcano. In my opinion, both of the Heart bonuses are powerful, but unreliable. Somewhat in the spirit of the specialization really!

Warp Equipment This spell warps the equipment of the target, reducing both damage and defense in a two hex radius outwards from the targeted hex. The amount reduced varies, ive seen it be -1/-2 and sometimes its just defense or attack thats reduced!

I am not certain on the logic behind this spell, but it seems to be “is the unit carrying a weapon? It can be affected.”
In a short test game i made for this, it affected the two cavalry and a infantry but not the support. On that note, Monsters are not affected. Hello Warbreeds and tamed trolls!

The strength behind Warped Equipment is its radius. In total, it hits 19 hexes. That can be alot of units hit if they are clustered up!

Swap Locations An interesting little spell. You will swap one unit on your own side with another unit on the other side of equal tier worth and ONLY equal tier worth. This means warping a shock troop with a big beetle when the goblin city you're attacking has big beetles behind the walls. :getin:

Remember, the swapped unit will keep its movement too, which can be a hilariously lethal surprise with beefy melee!

Delacroix posted:

Something worth noting is that Swap will perform differently depending on who you cast it on.

Casting it on your units will place the enemy unit on their hex, it's pretty easy to control this setup. Casting it on a enemy unit will swap it with any of your units that qualifies. And that can be very random in the late game!

Don't underestimate the benefits of casting it on the enemy though. It can be worth casting swap on a enemy unit blocking a gate. Removing a specific cannon or smithing shrine on one end of the map has its value too, especially if you're using flyers to outflank.

Summon Lesser Elemental, a global spell, will summon one of the six lesser elementals, Fire, Earth, Air, Frost, Spirit and Blight. Every lesser elemental can evolve into their bigger version too! A well rounded spell with a nice bonus if you baby the elemental until Elite but watch out for that whopping 120 casting points cost! For comparison, Hell Hounds are 70 casting points and adult elementals are 150!

Still, if you have nothing else to do with that mana...

Degenerate For the low, low price of 15 casting points, you can point at any kind of monster and give it 60% weakness to everything for 3 rounds. This can be helpful for overcoming frustrating resistances but its more useful for creating opportunities. Just to be clear as well, this is a 60% weakness to Physical, Blight, Frost, Fire, Spirit and Shock. Unless I’m mistaken, there's only a few sources of Physical Weakness!

Thats alot of words! And alot more to come! Lets break the post apart here.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
And now, Wild Magic Mastery.

Wild Affinity comes innately with Wild Mastery, which now makes Heart Structures also give you 10 extra casting points ontop of the previous +10 mana from Wild Magic. Its pretty nice, but can't be relied upon unlike the Elemental masteries +research incomes from elemental nodes and the node transformation spells.

Warp Domain, a global spell, is one of the few terrain altering spells and one of the fewer still thats targetable, even if it can only be cast on cities. It will randomly change all terrain tiles within a city’s domain into blight, volcanic, arctic and tropical. It will also destroy any roads or bridges within that domain.

So, you use Warp Domain to make the residents of a city less happy to live there. Unhappy inhabitants are unmotivated inhabitants, lowering production, and depending on the race, they could be very unhappy at the new landscape!

It is devastatingly strong against halflings as they hate arctic, blighted and volcanic terrain, not only will the city itself suffer, any garrisoned troops can kiss that high lucky chance goodbye as their morale falls. Keep in mind that morale loss cuts both ways, so watch where you’re attacking from!

This spell also works wonderfully with the various spells that further ruin morale, both of cities and of defenders. Dread Omen, Incite Revolt, Rally of the Populous (Keeper of the Peace Adept would be a strange choice with Wild Master...) and Dread Siege. Keep in mind, you’re going to be running that city very soon and they’re going to be on some ugly land as a result!

Of course, the undead laughs at all this, but since Warp Domain can be cast on your own cities this might make for a somewhat unorthodox defensive move on your part and if nothing else, Dreadnaughts lie awake at night at the idea of road destruction on this scale.

Ah, Spontaneous Mutation. This is a very simple spell with enormous depth to it. You get 2 random mutations, mostly good, to every living friendly unit on the battlefield until the end of battle, all for the low price of 25 casting points. The Mutations can be removed via Cure Disease, which is helpful if you get the less than helpful combinations on a hero.

I could be here for awhile listing every possible combination, so lets have a small pool of examples:
I’ve seen +Stats, attack, defence, and so on, sometimes at a cost such as movement speed. +% Resistances, often at the cost of -% others.
I’ve seen “Explodes when killed.” which will never not be funny on resurging units.
Eyes Everywhere which prevents the unit from being flanked.
Regrowth and Poison Spit, both nice to have.
I’ve also seen a negative morale debuff but that didn't turn up in the test firing I did to get this small list, one of the possible downsides of the mutations!

That’s not everything i saw from casting it on 3 stacks of crusaders either. Its a fun spell with many possible effects, the crazier sibling of Rite of Malediction, available sooner and cheaper, but not as reliable!

Pandemonium, at 30 casting points, is the “city quake/hellfire” of wild magic. When cast, all units are displaced by upto 4 hexes from their original position and all enemies get a random 100% weakness to Frost, Fire, Shock, Blight, Spirit or Physical.

If cast within a city, it will also make the inhabitants miserable, presumably by the fact that you just slammed most of them headfirst into their priceless vases and various other treasures, inflicting -100 happiness for 10 turns, and a -20 race happiness for 20 turns. Jeeze calm down, it was only a little involuntary teleporting.

The vulnerability is nice, and the displacement can open up tactical advantages, but the real fun to be had is with Rogues. Got a bunch of enemy units in a tight formation? Not anymore you don’t! Backstabs for everyone!

And now, for the best spell in Wild Magic Mastery, Unstable Transformation.

Unstable Transformation will cause the affected friendly unit to transform into a random unit of equal or greater power. In a quick test game, I turned a unit of razorbows into Hunter spider babies, a orc priest into a Obsidian Dragon and a Black Knight into a Archon Titan.

All of this delightful insanity is offset by a very important detail: The unit in question dies at the end of combat, and nothing will save it. No, not resurgence either.

So whats the best way to use this? Got a unit thats nearly dead and no way to save it? Transform it and at the very least you get a new unit with full health!

This is an amazing spell not because it can be used in any significant manner, but because its the stuff of hilarious underdog victory stories where you transform a nightwatchmen into a golden dragon. Of course for me, it is forever tainted by the memory of turning a set of brew brothers into… Nymphs. Oh dear. :barf:

Oh, and to all you rattlers of the dead? It works on Cadavers. :getin:

E: And it turns out if you want to use it offensively, taking control of a hostile unit and transforming them into something else is a hilarious unit denial as well as giving you the chance to get a dragon!

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 3, 2015

• Locked thread