Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Bitch blew up our airship :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx

HR12345 posted:

Can you explain why that's bad for those of us who only watch modern Doctor Who?

It's widely considered one of the worst of the early era doctor who. It's the first 7th doctor story, and it's bad. Really bad. Terrible plot, ideas, characters all around, and a giant foam latex brain that looks too low tech even for early era who.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'd agree that the writing for 3 is really starting to fall apart. Drakengard 1 was just a continued escalation in batshit and it was fun because of that. Nier was great because of the characters and even though the conflicts toward the end of the game kind of ended being contrived it still worked because the characters were so likable, at least for me. 3 just seems to be falling apart into a disjointed mess and its really losing its comical edge because lately all the jokes have just been "BOY THIS GAME SURE IS lovely, RIGHT GUYS?!" And the best character in the game isn't actually even in the game proper too.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 10, 2015

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Night10194 posted:

What was in there, evil time shopkeeper!?
ALL the weapons.

OmegaCake
May 5, 2010

Let's say you and I go back to my room and jack in.

Night10194 posted:

Motherfucker! What was in there, evil time shopkeeper!?
A happy ending to NieR. Obviously that's why the ship had to explode. There can be no joy in a world that follows Drakengard.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Accordion Man posted:

I'd agree that the writing for 3 is really starting to fall apart. Drakengard 1 was just a continued escalation in batshit and it was fun because of that. Nier was great because of the characters and even though the conflicts toward the end of the game kind of ended being contrived it still worked because the characters were so likable, at least for me. 3 just seems to be falling apart into a disjointed mess and its really losing its comical edge because lately all the jokes have just been "BOY THIS GAME SURE IS lovely, RIGHT GUYS?!" And the best character in the game isn't actually even in the game proper too.

I've got to agree that things really feel like they're losing steam. Hopefully it'll pick up again.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Without spoiling anything, let me just say that Ending C is pretty great (IMO) and all of Branch D is worthy of your time.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Night10194 posted:

I've got to agree that things really feel like they're losing steam. Hopefully it'll pick up again.

I think the main reason for this feeling are the lackluster DLC hapters. We just read through 7 of them in a row where only the 4th and the 7th were interesting. :shrug:
It's probably at least slightly better if you just focus on the main story.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have to say, having a character in a game ask you to soldier on through its repetitive gameplay is actually kind of endearing.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Accordion Man posted:

I think part of that is just the mission structure and the addition of DLC. Path B is kind of a slog, its my least favorite part of the game... in terms of narrative anyway. In the LP, things have been spread out to quite a length of time, with each verse getting an update, and the DLC coming in between branches, it might be making it seem like things have gotten slow. I don't mean this in any way to slight Darkid, who is doing a seriously amazing job here (I seriously mean it, LPing drakengard is not an enviable task, and he makes the thread enjoyable), its just that reading updates is necessarily going to slow things down VS the actual experience. I also think it was smart working the DLC in here, as its the only place they really fit, but again, its does pad things out. Especially something like 3's DLC.

That said, the verses don't all function spectacularly while alone, narrative wise. I beat Branch B in one sitting, and once I got over the first level's existence, I beat Branch C in one sitting. Specifically, the B and C paths as well as all the character DLCs we have seen tend to load the plot heavily in the first and last verses. WHen you are gonna sit down and push through them, that's fine, but when you are following a thread, that's more of an issue.

The 'this sure is annoying' jokes do get a bit grating, but unlike drakengard 1, this game can actually be fun. The jumping for instance does feel a bit forced, but its also really easy, and thus unlikely to annoy you too much. Also I guess when you experience it in LP form, you also aren't playing for the full half an hour or whatever in which the comments from one update reside.

I am not going to claim Drakengard 3 is without flaw, but I actually felt like the game was picking up steam at this point in my playthrough personally. Can I mention you need all weapons to unlock Branch D, because that was a stone wall for me that killed pacing. I figure this is common thread knowledge, but I am not sure. I will flat out delete this bit if it's supposed to be unknown still.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

MrAptronym posted:

Can I mention you need all weapons to unlock Branch D, because that was a stone wall for me that killed pacing. I figure this is common thread knowledge, but I am not sure. I will flat out delete this bit if it's supposed to be unknown still.

The Dark Id posted:

Drakengard 3 continues the series tradition of the final ending path being locked behind obtaining EVERY single weapon in the entire game.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Okay, just making sure, but that was terrible. I am pretty sure its only a restriction at this point to troll players. Its not even for padding, just sadism. Its not the worst grind I guess, but after playing up to this point I had to stop for several hours and grind out Accord Requests which are easily and by far the worst thing in the game. Not only are they repetitive and lacking in the dialogue that makes the game fun, they are the only thing that is really difficult. Not for fun reasons, but because of those drat time limits and the arbitrary weapon restrictions.

Of course it turns out you can just do a DLC chapter and the couple accord requests that gate weapons... but I didn't exactly know that. (And I hate to admit it, but one of those gating requests probably took me 20+ tries)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dito's character has been grating on me in the past couple of updates.
Not that it's any different to the schtick he's usually doing, it just seems sort of boring by now. The other moments have moments of clarity between their gimmicks, barring Cent, who has trivia time to break up his. It feels like Dito's just sort of static?

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

MrAptronym posted:

Okay, just making sure, but that was terrible. I am pretty sure its only a restriction at this point to troll players. Its not even for padding, just sadism. Its not the worst grind I guess, but after playing up to this point I had to stop for several hours and grind out Accord Requests which are easily and by far the worst thing in the game. Not only are they repetitive and lacking in the dialogue that makes the game fun, they are the only thing that is really difficult. Not for fun reasons, but because of those drat time limits and the arbitrary weapon restrictions.

Of course it turns out you can just do a DLC chapter and the couple accord requests that gate weapons... but I didn't exactly know that. (And I hate to admit it, but one of those gating requests probably took me 20+ tries)

I never had any problem with the weapon's grind. After Ending C, it only took me about an hour of grinding to get the rest of the weapons, and that was without the DLC. The best missions for money grinding are the desert ones, if you're willing to suck it up and use the Chakram, because it really isn't that bad. I guess how long it takes depends on how thorough you were with the chests, and how lax you were about upgrading weapons.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Accordion Man posted:

Drakengard 1's Ending C was pretty milquetoast ("Red's evil! Fight her!") before D & E happened.

I have every confidence this will be worth our time.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I've personally found the DLC chapters to be the most interesting parts of the game so far, especially the endings to Two's and Three's parts, so I don't consider them a slog to sit through.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Since we got a good shot of Accord I'm going to mention this thing that's been bothering me. This was early concept art for Kaine

I think they reused it for Accord. They don't have anything to do with eachother and I guess the character designer does reuse multiple ideas per character but hey, I think it's nice enough.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

It picks up steam. We're in the filler chapters, so please don't abandon ship yet.

Sensible
Mar 10, 2013
Even NIer had some slumps like the first visit to the Junk Heap for example. I have faith that the wait will be worth it.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Sensible posted:

Even NIer had some slumps like every visit to the Junk Heap for example.

FIFY

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

The Dark Id posted:

Your dislike of performing the same task over and over and over again.

:omarcomin:

I can see it now... in the future a supercomputer will be used to dynamically control the AI for a game, and will win every game by boring the players into quitting. Like that tetris robot which just paused the game and never continued.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Keldoclock posted:

Like that tetris robot which just paused the game and never continued.

Wut?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

It's the best way to force a human player to lose by forfeit. A robot can wait forever.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/14/nes-robot/

I think this is what they're talking about.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-WgQcnessA

Yeah, that program is incredible. When playing Gradius, it beats bosses by parking the ship right in front of the core, using an odd quirk of the collision detection to become invincible. Or just waiting for that one boss who explodes on it's own after a while.

Edit:

The best is the AI playing Mega Man 2 and losing horribly. It "succeeds" by finding the exact rythm to get extra lives just before it dies, so it can never get a Game Over. :allears:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 10, 2015

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

... reminds me of another SCP: http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1633

... maybe that's what Taro Yoko is.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LVII: In Which There is a Volatile Reunion

Music: Iniquitus

Update: Significant anomalies have been observed in the group of singularities centered around Zero. Mikhail, meant to be the group's harmonizing factor, has devolved and demonstrated other anomalous behavior.

Both the Intoners and their disciples seem to be entering unstable mental and emotional states. I shall continue my investigation, keeping an eye out for any signs of a Full Collapse.
M5110_E0020_DM: Begin Recording.

Verse 4: Madness
Music: Descendus

At last we have escaped that blasted sand trap and returned to Notspain for a proper endgame of this Branch. Yep, this is another short one. Much like the original Drakengard, the B and C ending routes are brief wet farts of side stories with a few cool bits but mostly forgettable and all the effort went into the fourth route. For reference, Branch D is longer than Branches B & C combined.

But that's all is later down the road so simmer down. We've still got a cursed dragon and band of fanatic soldiers to deal with here in Cathedral City.

We begin in the Outskirts. Better known as the opening prologue map. Zero and company have somehow managed to infiltrate into the heart of the city with little problem. Indeed we're first tasked with climbing some rubble leading straight up to the bridge heading directly to One's Cathedral. But unfortunately Zero and pals are still caught in a never-ending curse of walking through all maps backwards. So we'll be heading the opposite way through this map in hopes of locating Two and handing her the crown of Intoner killed most often on screen.

Yeeeeehehaaaauuuuggghaaa!
Daaarrrrrggghhhhaaaahhaaaahaaaa!
Maaaaahhhhrrrrrrudeheheheaaaa!
These guys are hopeless.
I know. I can't even make fun of 'em.
Such a pitiful sight.
Commoners so often pick the wrong person to devote themselves to, you know?
Zero! Huggh! Zero! Graaaaaahhh! Aaaaarrrrrrr!
Hrrggghhhhhggghhhhggaaaaa!
Ho ho! This is quite the conundrum. It's hard to come up with a pithy retort when you can't even understand what they're saying.
These things... keep... Twooo... Gwaaaah... <snarl>
Heheheahahahahoha! Kill yooooouuu yooooooouuu aaaaaahhhhhhhaaaa!

So all the soldiers in Cathedral City have lost their poo poo. They're all still fighting like normal soldiers but just drooling and mumbling incoherently thanks to whatever sorry state Two has found herself in this time around.

But the brain fried soldiers are not the only threat. Just a few blocks away from where we begin there is a gray cerberus and some imp pals waiting to gnaw on Zero. There are also a few sand ogres here and there along the path that have apparently followed Two's entourage from the Land of Sands. Or they just don't give a crap about enemy placements making much sense in this route. Either is a likely candidate at this point.

One of my sisters must be big into dogs.
Ugh. Disgusting.

Zero clearly has no patience for cerberus fights. So once more Mikhail can be called in for support. Probably a good idea for him to get some grinding done now. He's clearly under-leveled for heading into the end game.

Good. Just... uh... try not to push yourself.
Hey, what's that supposed to mean? I'm gonna try double hard! I'm gonna try double hard like I always do! :cry:
Come here, mutt! I got a doghouse for ya... in hell!

Dito, you on the other hand need to work on grinding out your combat taunts. You've had a piss poor showing this chapter.

A dead cerberus and a block full of slain lobotomized soldiers later...

And when I do, sweet sisters, I'm gonna tear you both apart!

Well, no sense in delaying the inevitable, eh? Continuing down the path we eventually wind up in a large open area. It's not particularly noteworthy in appearance. But, it does have a slight bit of significance as it is the very same area we started the very beginning of Drakengard 3's gameplay.

And would you look who we find back where Zero began her story...

Two! Get that loving curse off my dragon!

Two seems to have gotten past the giggle fit phase of her anime mind shattered madness. Let's see what symptom of the crazies she's found herself in during this timeline...

...Two?
You must... die...

Music: Registance ~ Battleground

So I guess we're having a rematch with Two for this Verse's finale. No disciple Cent around for support/an easy alternative victory this time around. Indeed...

I... I must go to her...

This time around Cent tags himself in as Zero's mandatory co-pilot to help defeat Two. So that's certainly different. On the other hand... it's still a disciple AI helper and Two could not give crap one about Cent existing on the field gameplay wise. And Cent himself has forgotten all his boss fight techniques like wave dashing and competently targeting enemies in this timeline.

Oh well... Just try not to switch sides mid-battle and kill half your teammates, eh?

Lady... Two...
She's been consumed by her song.
Ugggh... This is all my fault. If only... If only I hadn't left her...
Nnngh... I suppose... I can at least end her misery...
Ha ha ha! This isn't like you at all, Cent! Never thought I'd see you sympathizing with a whack-job Intoner! Welp, I guess one weirdo attracts another. Aaah ha ha ha ha ha!
Dito... drat you!

Dito, you're a little poo poo. But let's be honest here, Cent. You did kind of kill him for doing what you're doing now in another timeline. He does have a cause to clown you this redo.

Since everyone is on-board with standing orders to murder the poo poo out of Two, Mikhail isn't conflicted and confused by shifting allegiances and rapidly escalating situations. So he is free to help aide in this version of Two's boss battle with some choice aerial bombardment.

I want him back, and I want him back NOW!

Two hasn't changed from her previous encounter. Well other than maybe having more overall HP now that she isn't sharing a boss battle with Cent. It's just a matter of diving in, getting some good licks, and diving out of the way of her counter attacks. Two might parry occasionally and get some free hits on Zero. But there is honestly gently caress all that can be done about that. If Two wants to parry Zero she'll just do it out of nowhere instantly and adios to chunk of Zero's HP if she follows up with a decent combo.

CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE UPCOMING SCENE (You might wanna just watch this.)

Music: Silence

Either way, keeping up the pressure will quickly bring this battle to a decisive end. Cent doesn't seem as keen on summoning a nerve gas filled space spider with the Power of Love this go around. Perhaps this will go smoother than our last murder attempt.

Following the battle, a very rough sounding Two stumbles her way over toward Zero...

...and...

...SWERVE! She's actually more interested in seeing Cent.

Cent, I swear to god if you decide to get all mushy lovey-dovey with Two and switch sides ag--

Oh... Well, nevermind. Drakengard 3! A tale where all roads lead to someone getting stabbed in the back. Literally and figuratively. But mostly literally.

<twists sword> Could you die now? I mean, like, really die?

As it turns out, Two is not actually that keen on dying for a third time. Go figure! Maybe if all you backstabbing idiots aimed for the heart and not the lower guts or lungs, we wouldn't have this problem. Even that idiot Brone, whose solitary job he practiced every single day of stabbing Zero in the back through the heart, managed to gently caress that one up. Sheesh you people. It's like you've never murdered anyone during a cutscene before!

So... Decadus? Octa? You gonna jump in here and help the kid that weighs about 120 lbs wet against the crazed eldritch magic fueled girl with the anime hulk strength...?

There you go. Good to see everyone finally working together as a team. Mostly...

Gaaaaah!
Tell us...
How's this feel, hmmm?!
Grrrrrraaaaaaah!

Apparently, three disciples stabbing Two still isn't enough to take her down. Sheesh, Decadus how did you cutscene solo Two in Branch B? Did you leave that magic cutscene only Intoner slaying sword back in the forest or something?

So Zero, I know you did the heavy lifting already and fought the boss battle against Two and all. But this is supposed to be your gig and you're kind of doing a rubbish job overall at the sister murdering game. Feel free to chip in at any time to help as well. C'mon! Get in there!

No, Zero! Taking two steps forward is not helping! I thought you were supposed to be all gung-ho about killing Two and getting your dumb baby dragon fi--

Oh...

Oh... Welp... I guess that is one way to break up with your significant other...

Lady Two...

What is this?

It's a trap! Run!

Was this... always her plan...?
What divine punishment...
Don't act so goddamn happy, freak!

Cen...t...

Yes. I'm here now.

Welp... That just happened...

The sudden death of 66% of the party is enough to open the path to the end of the mission. So that's nice.

Music: Voidscape

Zero... B-But everybody's... They're all...
Killing Two didn't break your curse. So I have to kill One. I have to kill all the Intoners.
But... But I can be okay like this!
Like hell you can. One's going to pay for this.
...For everyone.
Zero...

And a quick stroll out the gates and around the corner brings this penultimate mission of Branch C to a close. Turns out being turned back into flying rats really was the best outcome for being a disciple. Before we go, there is a rather rude weapon located literally right next to the gate past the arena were loving everybody died. If Zero moves a few too many steps past it the mission automatically ends. Nice of 'em to do that.

Final Knell posted:

A spear that informs its wilder of their impending doom.
Weapon Size: Large

This is the story of a spear that fell into the hands of
a certain man. The man did not realize that his time in
this world was growing short. ...But the spear knew.

The man loved the sound the spear emitted, but did not know it
was the weapon warning him of his impending doom. Alas, the
man died in combat, his spear echoing out across the wastes.

This is the story of one man's end. A cold, stiff body,
and next to it, a spear, quietly mourning the death of
its five hundred and sixty-eighth master.

The spear waits for the day its cry can once again ring out.
It has seen the end of countless masters across an ocean
of time, and even today still waits for the next.

See? Now there's a weapon history that is actually useful. This sucker starts ringing and your rear end is about to get ganked! Dito could probably use one of these over that weird research report one he was us--oh... Right...

Video: Branch C Verse 4 Highlight Reel

Skip to Final Cutscene (You should at least watch this.)

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 11, 2015

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
It's like Two can only kill Disciples by dying at the same time

either way, she is gonna go cuckoo

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
(Almost) everyone dies! Again!

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Two with the highest kill-count of important characters now?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I guess every timeline is going to end with everyone dead. That's nice.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You got a typo in the first paragraph of the weapon story. "A certain main".

Zero, are you ever gonna notch Two on your belt? Get it together.
Two, nice job on that multi-kill, but taking yourself out only harms your K:DR

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

curiousCat posted:

Two with the highest kill-count of important characters now?

Beware the nice ones. :unsmigghh:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
At this point Drakengard is throwing so many curve balls that they appear to go straight again.

They're heading straight towards the "Everybody dies, forever" point.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ultrafilter posted:

In the first ending the Disciples got to go back to St. Pigenations, at least?

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
I never thought I would say this but poor Cent :( Joining up with someone you know wants to kill your girlfriend is one thing, but having to do the deed yourself is on a whole other level.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
It's nice of Two to make sure that explosion was contained within that shield-sphere thing. Wouldn't want Zero and Mikhail to get disciple bits all over them. Or disciple goo, depending on if that explosion was strong enough to just liquefy them.

Can't wait to see if One is even still alive at this point. In the last branch, Three mentioned she was trying to kill Two, and One... had an accident, so if that's still the case in this branch then Two being in the Cathedral City might mean One is dead. Then again there's not very many characters left after that last fight, I think we're down to Mikhail, Zero and One, so there's not much choice left for who's going to be the final boss unless they pull a Brone 2.0.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Uh, huh.

I did not see that coming. Since when do Intoners explode like Power Ranger monsters on death?

Rose Spirit posted:

I never thought I would say this but poor Cent :( Joining up with someone you know wants to kill your girlfriend is one thing, but having to do the deed yourself is on a whole other level.

Two's in a multi-dimensional series of Old Yeller situations these days. It just seems appropriate for Cent to be the one to put her out of her misery. Especially since his stupid mistakes put her into said misery to begin with.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

ultrafilter posted:

Mikhail definitely survived branch B, and at least some version of Zero did as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
So as far as main character kills go across these timelines it is what?

Two - Decadus x 2, Dito, Cent, Octa, Three, One (7)
Zero - Four, One, Cent (3)
Mikhail - Three, Two, Gabriel (3)
Cent - Dito, Octa, Two (3)
Dito - Five (1)
Decadus - Two (1)
Brone - Zero (1)

Man Octa isn't pulling his weight at all. Those chakram things really are the worst. :v:

• Locked thread