Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Comic Strips 2024: ¡es Esnoopy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

This is one of the reasons I dislike this story so much. Colm's the one who dumped Claire yet he acts like he has a say on who she might get together with.

Vox Valentine posted:

The Gang Takes An Undocumented Immigrant To A Secondary Location To "Ask Him Some Questions"

The "that's entirely up to you" in the last panel with everyone in the shadow sounds too ominous. Fuckin' lol lmao that Holbrook doesn't realize he's writing his Good Guys as if they're the ICE.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Good perspective work on that first panel, Jules.

Every time I think nuTrail has his rock bottom, Jules shits out yet another strip that proves me wrong. The horribly-drawn dog in every panel, the way it has to be floating in the air to make its placement in the first panel make sense, the logs of the cabin not having a consistent size, Jules outright giving up on drawing the logs on the upper-half of the first panel, Mark's inability to hold his tablet properly, telling the audience the situation is resolved and outright ignoring that Mark was supposed to be conflicted about horses being an invasive species, that random dig against older people to rile up the boomers in the comments section all so Jules can keep using them as an excuse to ignore criticism of her work. NuTrail is an absolute nadir of creativity.

Alhazred posted:

That's kinda of a red flag isn't it? He can't be alone with a woman without her thinking he's cheating on her. And also that she regularly checks upon where he is and who he is with.

No, see, her Person Has Characteristic is 'wimmin be insecure, jealous messes.' This totally justifies her stalking her boyfriend and getting mad at him if he even looks once at another woman. Fiona's exactly the same, and Rudy is making a tremendous mistake marrying her.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

"Please, don't bring home any more old crutches!"

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

easiest edit fodder of your life

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

sooo funny every single time that they just didnt color in the backgrounds at all

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 11, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Oh I miss the dump...

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Presto posted:

Luann's going to save the teacher's life and realize she wants to be a nurse.

EMT, probably, if it's going to take and the strip is headed towards engame. Full on Doctor if it's just going to be a bit.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
nu-Trail is an exercise in seeing how little effort you can put in while collecting paycheques before the syndicate gives you the boot and threatens you with lawyers.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Is the joke that arlo was wearing janises bathing suit?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like that in Spanish, apparently, Snoopy is "Esnoopy". Or maybe just in Mexico. Either way, adorbs.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 24, 1963)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

pencilhands posted:

I assumed it was that he had photoshopped it away so she was nude.

Julet Esqu posted:

I've heard that The Public has rethought their opinion on Episode 1 and decided it's good, actually. I suppose these drat kids today are entitled to their own opinions, but this strip here is a bridge too far. Episode 1 is not an example of 90's movies being so much better, and that's final. :colbert:
Have you seen the disney ones? It's all relative.

Original >>>>>> prequels > disney

Poil fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 14, 2024

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Vox Valentine posted:

The Gang Takes An Undocumented Immigrant To A Secondary Location To "Ask Him Some Questions"

Leave him the gently caress alone.
Die in a fire, Stuart.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FINGERPORI

Alright! So, the Finnish verb for "to pluck a chicken" is "kyniä". The Finnish word for pen or pencil is "kynä", but the plural of "kynä" is "kyniä". The original Finnish phrasing of the sentence is intentionally a bit awkward to cover both meanings of the pun, normally the word ordering would be different for the two meanings:

"saat ilmaisia kyniä" -> you'll get free pencils
"saat kyniä ilmaiseksi" -> you'll get to pluck for free

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Nell Brinkley(March 31, 1908)

quote:

HOW TO MAKE LOVE BY NELL BRINKLEY
No. 1-When the Girl Is Very Young, and Romantic

"The play ends on a big rock"

SO many and many Billiams are there awooing in the wide world!

This is a little tale of the Billiam who has a wise head on his bread-loaf shoulders, and whose Betty is a very young, romantic one; and so he goes awooing her in this wise!

Oh, maybe she has a pack of fluttering Billys on her ribbon-but she is very young, and one may bet the hole in the doughnut that they are all very young. Billiams, too, with caps like dimes on their sleek heads, and nothing but "frats" and football and fudges on the inside.

And their wooings are all so awfully much alike. They feed her candy and "toffee" and marshmallows, and they swipe pennants for her, and signs; and they trot her to shows and games; and they dance on her toes and feed her slippery ice behind the palms, and tell her she's "ripping!"

And she likes the fluttering boys on the end of her ribbon, and the "toffee" they feed her with on Sunday, but when they're not there to amuse her they slip out of her mind, and she crinkles up her nose and pulls down her brows and moons out of the window at the soft-wheeled cabs a-trundling by and wishes Billys made love like they did in the days of knights and walled towns.

But There's One Wise Billiam.

And so comes the wise Billiam. He's a bit of a dreamer his own self, and so maybe that is why he sees the romance behind this Betty's eyes.

So this quiet, gentle Billiam grins when he passes a fragrant candy shop, with a little think in his head that "rah, rah" boys will keep Betty's temper straight and her scarlet mouth busy with the piled up chocolates.

So he turns into a book shop and lays down his shining coin for a soft backed tale of King Arthur and Sir Lancelot du Lake, and he tucks it under his arm and hikes to The Betty's house and puts it into her hands.

And it is crimson backed and soft to feel with her hands, with glinting gilt letters on its back. And they pore over it in the firelight, and-funny! When she tells a little of the things she dreams sometimes, with the stain coming into her face, he listens very gravely and never a twinkle of a laugh dawns in his eyes.

And when he's gone that night she pushes her face up against the mirror of her dressing table and says, "I like you." And she doesn't mean her own face.

He Never Forgets the Romance.

Oh, ho! Always the wise Billiam has a bit of romance in his pocket for this Betty; and she grows to look for it, and they read them all together, and she tells him all the odd things she thinks, that any one else would laugh at maybe, and he understands just so quick as she could snap her white fingers together.

Madre Mia, such wonderful tales she can tell, too! And he lures all the tenderness, and the tales she dreams and knows away from her, too, with his perfect understanding.

And one night when he held a thing of hers behind his back and wouldn't give it up and she held out her hand upcurled for it with head tipped to one side, he bent over it quite swiftly and kissed the pink-stained palm. Oh, ho! Just like a knight of adventure out of their own tales they told.

And he makes a new game they call "bumming." The day isn't any difference, if it snows or shines with the sun. He calls up and sings out "Come a-bumming, Angelface!" And he chucks two scarlet apples into one overcoat pocket and a tale of laughter and one of romance into the other, and they hike out to the sea and the woods.

They Play a Knightly Game.

And he makes a game that they are a maid and a knight a-questing, and armed with good swords and shining ring mail; and that the sun of her hair is but its shining in the gold of their helmets.

And when they raced and laughed, with the youth in them, the play ends on a big rock, and they eat the scarlet apples and read a bit of the tales, and come home in the the purple twilight when the smoke is writhing over the land like thin blue veils.

And he makes her see all the wonder and mystery of the world around them; and then the game is done, and-she likes it better than a matinee, and lunch after in a chattering "resturaw."

And the wise Billiam grins and makes donkey's ears at the "rah, rah" boys, and wakes the wonder in Betty's heart.

And the poor "rah. rah" boys keep her dressing table piled with teetering stacks of bonbon boxes, till the wise Billam tucks her under one arm, with a crimson book of fairy tales under the other, and steals her away.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

FINGERPORI

Alright! So, the Finnish verb for "to pluck a chicken" is "kyniä". The Finnish word for pen or pencil is "kynä", but the plural of "kynä" is "kyniä". The original Finnish phrasing of the sentence is intentionally a bit awkward to cover both meanings of the pun, normally the word ordering would be different for the two meanings:

"saat ilmaisia kyniä" -> you'll get free pencils
"saat kyniä ilmaiseksi" -> you'll get to pluck for free

How do the Finnish understand eachother at all? It seems like every word has a second or third meaning.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Tiggum posted:

Is the joke that the man made eye contact and therefore got turned to stone but the woman only looked at her boobs and was safe?
She's wearing sunglasses, I think that saved her more, but the joke is the absurdity of the situation that this already happened and they're in the car as if he wasn't turned to stone.

Alhazred posted:

That's kinda of a red flag isn't it? He can't be alone with a woman without her thinking he's cheating on her. And also that she regularly checks upon where he is and who he is with.
this is gonna come up in the next set of strips.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way

Breadmaster posted:

How do the Finnish understand eachother at all? It seems like every word has a second or third meaning.

Long answer: official formal Finnish or "yleiskieli" is a constructed language that is bit different from spoken language "puhekieli". Plenty of Fingerpori is highlighting the absurdities that happen when people are mixing between the two or are overly literal with the first. The real comedy happens when you go even further and mix in local dialects. (I'm still lolling at the untranslatable "sienestäjä", or "mushroompicker/'y'all' stopper")

Short answer: pretty well, when it is formal, so-so when spoken, not at all when it is Turku dialect

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Something about the Sunday Phantom storyline feels like really elaborate masturbation. The Phantom, in one of his alter egos, is trying to show off how cool his other alter ego to punctuate the storyline about... how cool and mysterious his alter ego is.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Good perspective work on that first panel, Jules.

I don't think anyone can argue that Jules is drawing better than the Jamesallen yeti arc anymore, yet another mark of shame for new Trail. Seriously, look at that Super Mario proportions rear end Mark in panel 3 and how his tablet changes size. :laffo:

Or that Sunday Cherry where her torso shrinks between panels. Hell, try to path the position and length of their arms...

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 14, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Goatson posted:

(I'm still lolling at the untranslatable "sienestäjä", or "mushroompicker/'y'all' stopper")

For those who missed it:

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Extra untranslatable Fingerpori

OK, this is going to require a fair bit of setup. In the original Finnish, the old grandma is speaking a dialect from rural Ostrabothnia which is kind of thought to be an extra folksy and old timey dialect of Finnish. One feature of the dialect is that it replaces the traditional first and second personal pronouns ("minä", me and "sinä", you) with "mie", me and "sie", you. So she's about to ask Heimo something with the personal pronoun "sie".

But what about the mushroom picker? Well, with that we're back to a Fingerpori classic, compound words.

The Finnish word for "mushroom picker" is "sienestäjä", literally mushroomer, it's just basically a form of "sieni", mushroom, turned into a noun by way of passive verb. But "sienestäjä" can ALSO be a compound word of "sien" (the genetive form of "sie") + "estäjä" (blocker or preventer), literally "sie's blocker" or "sie's preventer".

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Julet Esqu posted:

Gil Thorp

I've heard that The Public has rethought their opinion on Episode 1 and decided it's good, actually. I suppose these drat kids today are entitled to their own opinions, but this strip here is a bridge too far. Episode 1 is not an example of 90's movies being so much better, and that's final. :colbert:

It's the best of the prequels, to drat it with faint praise. There are still real sets and props and some practical alien effects; the performances are wooden, but the story works (Which is not the case for E2 or E3. E2 is perhaps the most nebulous "movie" I've ever seen; it's two hours and change of plot ideas getting workshopped on-screen in real time and never condensing into anything substantial.)

I'd still rather watch Episode 1 than Rise of Skywalker.

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 9/13-15/43

Wow, what a bust! Even for Scarlet that's a bit of a rushed "alright everything's fixed go home" ending

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Domesticity is bliss (despite what pretty much every other FOOB strip would imply)

Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Non Sequitur

Rose is Rose

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

Oh I miss the dump...

Papa used to call them his "treasure boxes." He'd spend all year collecting stuff just to turn around and sell it at a big blowout yard sale in the spring. Selling the whole neighborhood their trash back to them put one of my aunts through college.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Mother Goose and Grimm

I assume the joke here is that wrong-color Scotty and the gang disintegrated the people in front of them at the movies?

(12/24/2002)

Frank and Ernest

(7/27/1994)

Ziggy

(12/28/1971)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

JethroMcB posted:

It's the best of the prequels, to drat it with faint praise. There are still real sets and props and some practical alien effects; the performances are wooden, but the story works (Which is not the case for E2 or E3. E2 is perhaps the most nebulous "movie" I've ever seen; it's two hours and change of plot ideas getting workshopped on-screen in real time and never condensing into anything substantial.)

I'd still rather watch Episode 1 than Rise of Skywalker.

I'd actually rank Episode I as the worst of the prequels, but it's a slim thing. (The new sequel trilogy DID make me think that maybe we judged the prequels too harshly, but that doesn't magically make them good.)

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Murdstone posted:

Flash Gordon

I can't help but read that final "Flash! Flash!" in Melody Anderson's voice.

Kavak posted:

I though we all agreed he's now Italian-coded because of Vinny Vinesauce.

He speaks with a bronx accent and owns an auto parts garage. He's totally Italian.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

Perfect dog face

Oh dang, the looks on Slylock's and Dabney's (and Max's) faces as Cassandra's boyfriends find out about each other

Luann

BREAK ALL THAT OLD LADY'S RIBS

And then Luann became a paramedic, unfortunately losing her job when she ran over the precocious child in Rex Morgan.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
With Luann stopping the one person trying to help, I assume the next strip is going to go about like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viCbba6gPfU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Strontium posted:

Take It From The Tinkersons

This is true baseball.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

"Is this facial hair?" - Leonardo DaVinci, Genius

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Murdstone posted:

Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon presents: Reefer Moronness

Powered Descent posted:

I'd actually rank Episode I as the worst of the prequels, but it's a slim thing.[...]
If it's not a pain or disruptive I'd like to hear your thoughts on that, because I REALLY don't have star wars opinions but I feel like phantom menace is the one I most often hear people speaking more positively of in retrospect and I'm curious to hear alternative takes on that.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It has the highest proportion of child actor, which weighs heavily on its overall score imo.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Drakyn posted:

If it's not a pain or disruptive I'd like to hear your thoughts on that, because I REALLY don't have star wars opinions but I feel like phantom menace is the one I most often hear people speaking more positively of in retrospect and I'm curious to hear alternative takes on that.

- Annoying child actor, like goatface said.
- The most Jar Jar screen time of any of the films.
- WAY overlong podrace sequence that eventually became a much better video game than movie scene.
- Terrible space battle scene (the Naboo fighters vs. droid control ship). We never see what exactly the pilots are trying to do -- they just kind of mill around up there and never even take a shot -- until the whole thing gets resolved by a slapstick accident (Anakin blows it up by mistake).

Basically go watch the old Red Letter Media critique; I agree with like 99% of what's in there.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Thank you both for indulging my curiosity. I still don't have star wars opinions of my own but now I have added more of other peoples' to my collection.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

George Lucas--and/or whoever he pays to do it for him--is really, really bad at making up alien words

they all sound like Booby this and Ca-Ca that and Hoopy Freud something else

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth, in which Laura finds her people.

Skippy (April 10, 1936)

Peanuts (May 17, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire, in which TNT proves himself as a good dog, even if he's not always good at being a dog.

Li'l Abner (July 16-18, 1936)

Thimble Theater (December 17, 1940)

Out Our Way (September 7-9, 1944)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The prequels are still goofy and flawed but they've become more endearing over time due to the good companion media spawned from them. As for the sequels I'm not a fan so I'll limit discussion to saying that the director divide between movies and the soft feud between 8 and 9 as well as 9s undeniable cratering of quality, souring the whole trilogy, make the prequels look much better in hindsight. Good ol' George Lucas bit off more than he could chew but at least he delivered a cromulent story and loads of exciting worlds and characters. And memes, we love our memes.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
The main thing the prequels gave us was Duel of the Fates and that's about the only positive thing I can say.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Doomykins posted:

Good ol' George Lucas bit off more than he could chew but at least he delivered a cromulent story and loads of exciting worlds and characters. And memes, we love our memes.

The only thing I remember from those films was the Techno Union

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW4OIHDsWsM

who's at your disposal.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Powered Descent posted:

- Annoying child actor, like goatface said.
- The most Jar Jar screen time of any of the films.
- WAY overlong podrace sequence that eventually became a much better video game than movie scene.
- Terrible space battle scene (the Naboo fighters vs. droid control ship). We never see what exactly the pilots are trying to do -- they just kind of mill around up there and never even take a shot -- until the whole thing gets resolved by a slapstick accident (Anakin blows it up by mistake).

Basically go watch the old Red Letter Media critique; I agree with like 99% of what's in there.

The prequels (at least the first one and second) were made to attract children to the franchise. Old rear end goons would go see it no matter what but it needed to connect easier to a younger audience.

You were not the target audience.

Now 7, 8 and 9? I have no loving idea what audience that garbage was for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Kazinsal posted:

nu-Trail is an exercise in seeing how little effort you can put in while collecting paycheques before the syndicate gives you the boot and threatens you with lawyers.

Oh like most of these creators aren't doing that. I'm pretty sure Jim Davis hasn't put pen to paper himself in a decade, Lynn's still getting paid for making slight updates and alterations to FOOB reruns. I'm sure there are others.

pencilhands posted:

I think the joke is that with digital pictures, Arlo went and photoshopped her bathing suit off.

Hwurmp posted:

George Lucas--and/or whoever he pays to do it for him--is really, really bad at making up alien words

they all sound like Booby this and Ca-Ca that and Hoopy Freud something else

That's Lucas. If it's the original trilogy and it's good, someone else most likely had a hand guiding George's creativity. The prequel trilogy is full George Lucas un-tethered. At that time, pre-Disney buyout, George had right of first refusal on any SW media IIRC. For the video game The Force Unleashed, Lucas was asked to "bless" the production by giving an official Darth title to the main character. (You couldn't name a new Darth without his permission). Completely straight faced, Lucas offered "Darth Icky" and "Darth Insanius". The team stuck with Starkiller.