Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I was on a radio where a pilot of a small business jet reported hypoxic symptoms, sounded generally ok, a small slur, announces on oxygen and his intent to descend. Aircraft proceeds to accelerate and climbs past 40,000 feet getting close to engine failure altitudes and drops off
voice comms.

Several minutes later actually descends to reasonable altitude and comes back on radio clear. Apparently flight crew oxygen wasn’t flowing for whatever reason (not clear if mechanical or crew error) and the thing that saved them was the FA checked on the cabin because she knew “climb” wasn’t the depressurization plan and managed to get them on standalone oxygen bottles of some sort… It’s a scary situation when your brain just stops working right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
Modern Cirrus aircraft have the equivalent of a screensaver check that runs when the plane is on autopilot at altitudes where oxygen is expected. If you haven’t done anything with the avionics in a while it’ll prompt you for input, and then if nothing is forthcoming it’ll perform a descent to thicker air, presumably while also respecting terrain clearance.

However I can’t imagine having the patience to climb the SR20 I rent above 12,500

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

illectro posted:

Modern Cirrus aircraft have the equivalent of a screensaver check that runs when the plane is on autopilot at altitudes where oxygen is expected. If you haven’t done anything with the avionics in a while it’ll prompt you for input, and then if nothing is forthcoming it’ll perform a descent to thicker air, presumably while also respecting terrain clearance.

However I can’t imagine having the patience to climb the SR20 I rent above 12,500

This is real cool

Garmin takes it one step further, by landing the entire plane, including notifying the airport on radio

https://discover.garmin.com/en-US/autonomi/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

illectro posted:

Hey man, I'm paying for the altimeter, I'm gonna use all of it.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Went to my local museum today. It’s very small and volunteer run. Decent effort considering I think. They have some stuff that used to be stationed locally before the RAF station closed in the 90s. Also quite a bit of WW2 bits dug out of local fields after accidents!
Most things look like they had a pretty hard service life and they obviously don’t have a lot of money to restore but it’s quite charming in a way.

Old navy seaking

Scout

Some of the wiring for a Vulcan cockpit they’re working on

Lynx

Cockpit of a Nimrod that ditched in the sea in 1995

Whirlwind

Ancient Sycamore

Merlin dug out of a field after a crash. Imagine the energy needed to tear it apart like this

Old Dominie trainer from when 6 Flight Training School was based locally

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

monkeytennis posted:

Ancient Sycamore

Look at that chonky girl.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I love that helicopter so much.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like the designs of early helicopters because they clearly don't know where to put anything yet.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

I like the designs of early helicopters because they clearly don't know where to put anything yet.

The H-19 looks like a chonker because they mounted a radial engine at an angle in the nose, with the driveshaft running up between the pilots. It was better balanced and really easy to maintain (compared to putting the engine up on top of the helicopter somewhere).

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

monkeytennis posted:

Cockpit of a Nimrod that ditched in the sea in 1995

Whoever designed those windscreen wipers deserves a commendation.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i'll be near the florida space coast in mid-july and have a couple days available; can anyone recommend what's worth taking the time to see? the kennedy space center website is a bit obtuse

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Obviously if you can see a launch then do that. It’s pretty incredible in person.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

the milk machine posted:

i'll be near the florida space coast in mid-july and have a couple days available; can anyone recommend what's worth taking the time to see? the kennedy space center website is a bit obtuse

Go to the visitor center, do the bus tour, it goes to a Saturn 5 and near the VAB and crawler and stuff. It's all self contained, just show up and plan to spend about a day max, imo.

I don't think there's any other cool aviation or space stuff publicly viewable around there. Ditto on watching a launch if it happens, obviously.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

the milk machine posted:

Above is a good rec. Also valiant air warbird museum is around there. It has a prop and an engine but doesn’t fly: airboat tours is also a thing.

Not aerospace but depending on where you’re traveling the cape canaveral national sea shore also has some nice sights, dolphins and nature and poo poo. It’s only accessible from the north afaik. Also it’s 100% worth getting a jet ski and touring some of the intercoastal waterways imo.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I've been flying in a lot of 737s this weekend, and I noticed that the MAX is incredibly smooth and quiet compared to both the classic and NG, and Airbus 32X. Did they add a bunch of sound deadening? Is it the ridiculously huge high-bypass turbofans? Just being less old and busted?

Granted, none of the doors came off which really helped.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

yeah doors really improve the NVH of a jet.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Elviscat posted:

I've been flying in a lot of 737s this weekend, and I noticed that the MAX is incredibly smooth and quiet compared to both the classic and NG, and Airbus 32X. Did they add a bunch of sound deadening? Is it the ridiculously huge high-bypass turbofans? Just being less old and busted?

Granted, none of the doors came off which really helped.

nah i think the insulation is basically the same. probably the latter two items

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
The chevrons on engine nacelle (and sometimes nozzle) trailing edges seen in recent aircraft engines reduce engine noise a lot. The 737 max has these, maybe the older aircraft in question don't?