Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Patter Song posted:

The man smiled in his cavernous abode. One more down, only eleven more to go. The tall one had fallen...perhaps the fat one, or the other fat one, or the bronze baby would be next. They could all offer less than he could to this great nation, and why settle for Gil-less when you could have Gilmore?

Soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

Whinelords like Ginsburg

Yeah when you come down on the side of Scalia and Thomas against Stevens and Ginsburg you might want to do some soul searching, if you have one of those.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/us/elections/election-2016-campaign-money-race.html?_r=0

lol yea money is totally the key to this election let's just ask walker, bush, rubio, carson, carly, and every other R candidate who could be outspending trump right now.

face it, you don't have a clue what you are talking about if you are freaking out about CU still

If you knew even a tiny lick about electioneering you would understand that ads are effective proximate to elections, not as a substitute for an entire campaign apparatus. You know less than nothing and your ignorance seeps out in your posts like liquid poo poo.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Vox Nihili posted:

If you knew even a tiny lick about electioneering you would understand that ads are effective proximate to elections, not as a substitute for an entire campaign apparatus. You know less than nothing and your ignorance seeps out in your posts like liquid poo poo.

harsh but clearly true

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
You can even look at the UK for a comparison with a country that has strong finance laws and there's basically no difference.

it's funny how :qq: this is making some of you though, must be tough when the facts stare you in the face\

let's keep this thread on track and talk about Trumps strategy for Clinton!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Montasque posted:

Rand doesn't think it's cool that Trump is attacking Hillary for being a she-cuck.
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/rand-paul-i-dont-think-its-hillarys-fault-that-her-husband-had-serial-infidelities/

Still thinks Bill got away with murder, and that if he worked for a corporation he would have been fired.

Seems reasonable.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
George Pataki got 83% in the polls*.

* That is, if you total all his poll numbers in every poll this year it come to 83%.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Not many people left in the undercard debates now. With Rand refusing to participate, it looks like we're headed for a Santorum/Huckabee/Fiorina threeway.

Truly the devil's threeway.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Can there be an official fishmech thread, and if he argues about anything for more than two posts in another thread he's probated?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Welcome to the insanity that pervades the Republican party. Trump appeals to this insanity.

Trumps going to win btw lol.

The Republican nomination, or the general election?

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Not many people left in the undercard debates now. With Rand refusing to participate, it looks like we're headed for a Santorum/Huckabee/Fiorina threeway.

memy posted:

*shivers at the mental image*
Shuddering aside, when do the undercard debates finally go away? We've lost Walker*, Perry, Jindal, Lindsey Graham, and now Pataki, and Jim Gilmore doesn't really count since he hasn't been at any of the debates past the very first one. We're left with two religious assholes and a woman responsible for a domestic terrorism incident, and nobody cares about them.

*Although Walker doesn't really count since he went straight from the main debate to 0% to dropping out before he could go to the kiddie table.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

All the money in the world won't help if the candidate is completely repellent or a huge doofus which is the case of most of the field this time

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Pataki is going to use the free airtime NBC gave him from the Donald Trump SNL episode to cut into the 9pm broadcast hour and announce his campaign is ending.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mega64 posted:

Truly the devil's threeway.

After a great night of partying I'd gladly be part of that three-way with Carly.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Vox Nihili posted:

Paid volunteers = dedicated volunteers. Academic studies show that advertising works. I don't really know what else to say. Should I start posting sources?

Would totally quit my job to work for Trump full-time as a paid volunteer.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

stop calling each other idiots and or morons and or liquid poo poo, tia. you can argue without insulting.

Jewel Repetition posted:

Can there be an official fishmech thread, and if he argues about anything for more than two posts in another thread he's probated?

fishmech is the best poster in this forum

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Joementum posted:

Pataki is going to use the free airtime NBC gave him from the Donald Trump SNL episode to cut into the 9pm broadcast hour and announce his campaign is ending.

This is the most news coverage he's gotten all year, isn't it? This is a wonderfully weird election cycle.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

fade5 posted:

Shuddering aside, when do the undercard debates finally go away? We've lost Walker*, Perry, Jindal, Lindsey Graham, and now Pataki, and Jim Gilmore doesn't really count since he hasn't been at any of the debates past the very first one. We're left with two religious assholes and a woman responsible for a domestic terrorism incident, and nobody cares about them.

*Although Walker doesn't really count since he went straight from the main debate to 0% to dropping out before he could go to the kiddie table.

i've got to imagine they don't stop doing the kiddy table debates for as long as they can hypothetically wring advertising dollars out of airing them. maybe after enough primaries that there is a mathematically undefeatable front runner, or at least two or three candidates have enough of a plurality of votes that no-one else can actually overcome them.

edit: also ffs i can't believe these keep being billed as debates, like any of the candidates are meaningfully opposed by either each other or the moderators, to the extent that there's actually debate taking place. other than whatever super-slams trump has planned for jeb! and whatever question gives cruz the chance to complain about what a meany-head the media is, there's little actual debate taking place

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 30, 2015

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Joementum posted:

Can't tell if you're joking or not.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In which John Kasich (63) calls Jeb! (62) old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H1Ru_RHZqQ

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Pinterest Mom posted:

fishmech is the best poster in this forum

He's the freakonomics of this forum. Neoliberal, contrarian, and ultimately not more than a few inches deep.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Michael Corleone posted:

Would totally quit my job to work for Trump full-time as a paid volunteer.

Fill out this 1099 form and you'll be on your way to untold dozens of dollars in Trump lucre!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/us/elections/election-2016-campaign-money-race.html?_r=0

lol yea money is totally the key to this election let's just ask walker, bush, rubio, carson, carly, and every other R candidate who could be outspending trump right now.

face it, you don't have a clue what you are talking about if you are freaking out about CU still

Do you only pay attention to presidential elections? I can cite at least half a dozen examples of Superpac money being the deciding factor in municipal issues, and that's not even counting local or state races. I've posted articles about them in a regular clip for years now.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Vox Nihili posted:

You loving moron, down ticket races are no where NEAR saturation. The 13th podunk district is not Trump vs. Jeb. There is little-to-no media coverage of these races to compete with ads. Voters are less engaged and knowledgeable re: those races.

Whinelords like Ginsburg still oppose unlimited spending on political ads, yes. Christ how can anyone be such a pitiful little poo poo?

the 13th podunk district is an unopposed election for the incumbent, or maybe there's a no hope opposition candidate put up just for appearances . this is even more likely in a state legislature, and a local election, hell, sometimes there aren't even a whole 1 person for each open seat!

frankly you're naive as hell and you will never ever comprehend the political system.

like in 2012, almost a third of all state legislature seats up for election that year? completely unopposed. even more had elections that might as well be unopposed because the voting area was drawn so that the current party's candidate would need to be caught with both a dead girl and a live boy and a goat at once to have a hope of losing. and god only knows how many of the tens of thousands of local and county offices went unopposed

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Joementum posted:

In which John Kasich (63) calls Jeb! (62) old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H1Ru_RHZqQ

Not only is this ad really stupid because all the things in it have retro appeal, but Kasich going after Bush is the least strategically sensical thing I can think of.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

jeb's so pitiful other candidates who have no real reason to go after his 2% remaining supporters are dogpiling him anyways

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

For some reason, I keep thinking Kasich and Pataki are the same person.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
Im really interested to see what a Trump ad buy is gonna look like. He should get the "cant stump the trump" youtube account onboard imo. Break up the monotony of political ads with some that are actually funny instead of the same reheated, scary voice over montage bullshit weve been getting for 20 years.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

fishmech posted:

the 13th podunk district is an unopposed election for the incumbent, or maybe there's a no hope opposition candidate put up just for appearances . this is even more likely in a state legislature, and a local election, hell, sometimes there aren't even a whole 1 person for each open seat!

frankly you're naive as hell and you will never ever comprehend the political system.

like in 2012, almost a third of all state legislature seats up for election that year? completely unopposed. even more had elections that might as well be unopposed because the voting area was drawn so that the current party's candidate would need to be caught with both a dead girl and a live boy and a goat at once to have a hope of losing. and god only knows how many of the tens of thousands of local and county offices went unopposed

Much like re: gerrymandering, you're repeating things we all know. None of it cuts against the value of unlimited spending in races that are contested, including judicial, local, state, etc. I think you'll find that there are still many such races.

Probably most would be contested if campaigns were exclusively publicly-funded.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 30, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Jewel Repetition posted:

Can't tell if you're joking or not.
He's not joking:
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/pataki-tells-supporters-he-s-ending-2016-bid-n487596

quote:

Pataki's campaign also announced that NBC News affiliates in New Hampshire, Iowa and South Carolina will air a "special message" from the governor at 9pm ET Tuesday night.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

docbeard posted:

Pataki is pro choice, kasich is super anti abortion

Also Pataki is really tall

That's about it for differences

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

docbeard posted:

They're not? Which one of those nobody losers was the governor of Florida?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Vox Nihili posted:

Much like re: gerrymandering, you're repeating things we all know. None of it cuts against the value of unlimited spending in races that are contested, including judicial, local, state, etc. I think you'll find that there are still many such races.

Probably most would be contested if campaigns were exclusively publicly-funded.

the "unlimited spending" is completely irrelevant. the value of it is 0.

no that's absolutely false. public funding isn't going to make running as the sacrificial delegate in 6 term incumbent republican's comfy 70% republican state senate district any more appealing, unless you're suggesting support for jus tusing your public campaign money for anything you want, unrelated to the campaign.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

no bella and the bulldogs. or something like that.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "My whole life is 'I take it, I take it' -- I'm greedy. Now I'm going to be greedy for the United States" ~ Donald Trump

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Hold onto your straws everybody, because Nate's goin' graspin'

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

xbilkis posted:

Hold onto your straws everybody, because Nate's goin' graspin'

Nate Silver is such a loser now, doing soothsayer like pundit type predictions and talks about the need to unskew the polls.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ben Carson sees another side to Bill Clinton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNM...2Y1qKvEVw6yY36A

quote:

My main problem with it,” he explained, “is I saw innocent little kids… becoming coarser and wanting to know what certain things are that they’re hearing about on television––things that they would’ve never known about as kids before.”

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

The fall of boy genius Nate Silver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol were really going to go through the whole lewinski thing again

• Locked thread