Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1258432751667236864?s=20

Not certain that the Bills and Jets are allowed to open or close seasons without playing each other anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Weird. I thought it was leaked by John Clayton that teams were opening with non-conference opponents.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Bill definitely seems more like the type of dude who wants to win 9 games with a barren roster to prove it was him all along than a guy who would tank.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
https://twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero/status/1258478643829002240

Dolphins are opening the hypothetical season in New England, then Buffalo at home(and will end the season @Buffalo).

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Diva Cupcake posted:

Weird. I thought it was leaked by John Clayton that teams were opening with non-conference opponents.

Yeah, that's what I'd alluded to minus the typo as well

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The schedule makers having the Jets and Dolphins play twice in 3 weeks with a bye in the middle is lame as gently caress.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

TheBizzness posted:

Bill definitely seems more like the type of dude who wants to win 9 games with a barren roster to prove it was him all along than a guy who would tank.

he lives, eats, and breathes this poo poo and now he doesn't have to deal with anyone butting heads with him

he's gonna have a great time going 8-8 and being surly as gently caress about it

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I feel like the Jets schedule is tough, but also that most of the games are winnable (this goes for the rest of the division too)? There are no gimmes, but the only games where I feel like the Jets are completely and totally outmatched are KC, SEA, and SFO. I'm also glad the hard games seem to be pretty spaced out, rather than just having them all in a row right out of the gate like last year.

Also apparently Douglas called the league office to request that the LAR/SEA road games be in back to back weeks and that's what the schedulers did. I didn't know teams could do that.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Don't do this to yourself again

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Professor Funk posted:

I feel like the Jets schedule is tough, but also that most of the games are winnable (this goes for the rest of the division too)? There are no gimmes, but the only games where I feel like the Jets are completely and totally outmatched are KC, SEA, and SFO. I'm also glad the hard games seem to be pretty spaced out, rather than just having them all in a row right out of the gate like last year.

Also apparently Douglas called the league office to request that the LAR/SEA road games be in back to back weeks and that's what the schedulers did. I didn't know teams could do that.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Me every Febuary: There's no point looking at the schedule for next year cuz every team changes so massively and you never know which games are actually gonna be difficult or easy until a week or 2 beforehand.

Me every May: Well December looks rough but we don't really play a tough team until October and we might be able to get ahead, Also this seems like a good year to play against the NFCX because...

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Metapod posted:

Don't do this to yourself again

Not saying they're going to be good, just saying hey, you never know, weird poo poo happens

this is the appropriate retort

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Going by the betting markets' projected win totals, the Jets have the 3rd hardest schedule, per Warren Sharp.

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/2020-strength-of-schedule.html

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 8, 2020

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I really like what the Jets did in the draft, but I assume they'll be a small disaster this upcoming year. They really need Becton and Mims to be impact players immediately to even approach average, but 1. they both play positions that often take longer to develop, 2. there will be no/shorter training camps, and 3. they will be behind the tutelage of one Adam Gase.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Yeah it's for sure a real hard schedule overall, I definitely wasn't trying to say otherwise, but it also wouldn't be that crazy to see them randomly win a bunch of games against the likes of the Bills, Cardinals, Browns, Colts, Dolphins, etc.

I feel like I'm usually appropriately skeptical about the Jets, so Im not trying to be a homer here. I also wouldn't be shocked if they went 4-12 or something based on a bunch of the things fsif alluded to (mostly Gase being garbage). There's also the possibility that all of their mid-tier FA offensive line swings don't play out as planned and the offense is even worse than last year's.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 8, 2020

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
It's going to be a weird year for the whole AFCE, every team has a really high ceiling and a really low floor, except maybe the Bills floor isn't too low.

If we said the division went 12-4, 8-8, 6-10 and 4-12, you could pretty much talk yourself into any set of teams in any order, except for maybe the Bills going 4-12.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I mean, the division is Bradyless for the first time since his ACL year, and the Patriots offense seems weaker than ever even outside the gaping void under center. This is virtually unprecedented.
I still think the Patriots will be good though, or at least not terrible. They have Bellichick and their defense is still really talented. They’ll play ugly defensive football.
The Bills defense is probably going to be really good. We lost some pieces, but we also added a fuckload of guys to the defensive line, so you figure at least one of them will produce. The offense should be just as good running the ball, but the passing attack needs Josh Allen to continue to improve to really take off, even with Diggs. As the playoff team returning basically all our talent from last year, we’re definitely the favorite to win the division(typing that makes me nauseous:ohdear: )

The Jets will probably not do well, because Gase, even though they’ve made good moves in terms of (player) personnel.
The Dolphins are also probably a year or two away, but who the hell even knows. The Bills routinely lose to all of these teams, so I’ll believe we’ll win the division when we do.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
The hardest part is the really high probability of the Jets starting out 0-3, with that rolling into 1-6 meltdown.

I at least hope they Rams game isnt canceled so I can see em out here~

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
All of the AFCE will have weird meltdowns and the pats will win the division at 7-9 and then beat the texans or somebody who knows

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Holy poo poo 4 primetime games for the Bills?!
Oh man this rules.

Please please have a season NFL.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Still angry about Jets Bye Jets.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Personally I think having your team playing in primetime games is wildly overrated.

I reserve the right to change my mind depending on certain quarterbacky variables.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
So excited to see this man come back

https://youtu.be/yjungDDFYKM

That first TD and the play at 1:10 are nasty

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

the Bills are going to win this weak division

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Jonathan Fisk posted:

the Bills are going to win this weak division

How will they get past the 14-2 dolphins, who lose only to last seasons Superbowl teams?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The team nobody is giving a chance, besides the rebuilding Dolphins, is the Jets.

So it will be them.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Eifert Posting posted:

Personally I think having your team playing in primetime games is wildly overrated.

I reserve the right to change my mind depending on certain quarterbacky variables.

I, for one, will thoroughly enjoy the deconstruction of Tom Brady in Prime time.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I live in Buffalo and listen to local sports radio on my commute. I feel like the radio personalities and callers need to seriously pump the breaks on their expectations for this team. I've never seen the confidence so high. People think 10-6 is the floor and think 12-4 is realistic. Last season this team was one play away against the jets, bengals, dolphins from being 7-9 and a few shanked field goals against the Titans from 6-10.

Being 1 play better than bottom feeders and getting lucky against a playoff team is not a sustainable or repeatable recipe for success.

People are sleeping on the Jets and counting out Touchdown Tom Bill Belichik and his Patriots. Brady was not why the Bills lost all 4 games to the Pats over the last 2 seasons.

Speaking of the Pats, I see them getting 10+ wins because that's just what BB does. Or they get 2 wins and draft Trevor Lawrence. I feel like there isn't much in between.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Agreed. I really hope the season happens, because the AFCE is going to be absolute chaos

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I was eager to make fun of Jets' fans heightened expectations based on some Rich Cimini Twitter poll I saw, but Bills fans' hopes are far more outsized. A handful of national outlets are listing them alongside the Chiefs, Ravens, 49ers, et al in promotional graphics.

I'd still take the Bills winning the division over the field, though. The team added a lot more talent than they lost and at least some of their young core players (Allen, Edmunds, Oliver, etc) will likely improve.

The Dolphins will be plugging in a ton of new players—including a rookie quarterback—into a team with a diminished off-season. The Jets are horribly coached and lacking in talent. The AFC East will forever hold the trauma of Bill Belichick coaxing 11 wins out of Matt Cassel, but I still think it's unlikely the Patriots get to a winning record with that offense.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
The Bills have good talent on both sides of the ball and a decent coach, in a vacuum it’s okay to expect them to do well; add to this the fact that the rest of the AFC East looks pretty weak (Dolphins are rebuilding and probably at least another year away; Pats are a huge question mark; people have every right to “sleep” on any team coached by Adam Gase). Still, on the other side, the eternal cosmic “lol bills” factor will forever prevent them from having good things, their QB is extremely inconsistent, and the NFL season pretty much never shakes out the way anyone expects it to in May.

Still, the current regime seems to have built the exact team they wanted to build with the QB they insisted, for better or for worse, was “their guy,” and it’s time to poo poo or get off the pot. I feel like expecting them to be worse than they were last would be letting them off the hook. If Josh Allen can’t win with the team he has right now, then he’s never going to be able to do it, and the team would need to start thinking about what’s next.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Sure I guess
https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1260229256510091266

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Sheen Sheen posted:

The Bills have good talent on both sides of the ball and a decent coach, in a vacuum it’s okay to expect them to do well; add to this the fact that the rest of the AFC East looks pretty weak (Dolphins are rebuilding and probably at least another year away; Pats are a huge question mark; people have every right to “sleep” on any team coached by Adam Gase). Still, on the other side, the eternal cosmic “lol bills” factor will forever prevent them from having good things, their QB is extremely inconsistent, and the NFL season pretty much never shakes out the way anyone expects it to in May.

Still, the current regime seems to have built the exact team they wanted to build with the QB they insisted, for better or for worse, was “their guy,” and it’s time to poo poo or get off the pot. I feel like expecting them to be worse than they were last would be letting them off the hook. If Josh Allen can’t win with the team he has right now, then he’s never going to be able to do it, and the team would need to start thinking about what’s next.

Yeah, this team overperformed expectations last year, because it improbably hit on a bunch of free agent signings(Quinton Spain and Jon Feliciano turned out to be serviceable/good respectively, John Brown was healthy all year, Jordan Philips went hog wild, etc.) and Josh Allen didn't poo poo the bed (much) and actually contributed positively in multiple games at multiple points.

Now all their young players have another year under their belts, and we have Stefon loving Diggs. It's fair to say it's time for the passing offense to take off, and for Josh Allen to stop loving fumbling all the goddamned time. If that doesn't happen, this team is probably still good enough to limp into the playoffs(particularly with the expanded field) or even win the division, but doing worse than last year would certainly qualify as a disappointment.
And a reason to decline Allen's option.

Of course, as we have all experienced in our lives, disappointment is something the Bills excel at.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Bills probably have to be the pick at this point. They're undoubtedly the most talented team on paper, and McDermott is a good enough coach that he isn't going to hamstring them. Obviously the biggest question is Allen, but at the very least they've added enough talent around him that they should know if he's the guy one way or the other at the end of the year (in contrast with the Jets and Darnold). The Pats are next in line by virtue of having Belichick, but maybe having literally zero talent on offense is something he can't coach his way out of.

Dolphins and Jets are a toss up to me for the reasons fsif mentioned.

At the end of the day, I could really see anything happening, though. Maybe Darnold takes a big leap and Gregg's defense leads the Jets to a bunch of upset victories. Maybe Tua is a prodigy and the Dolphins secondary wins them a bunch of games. Maybe Allen craters against a tougher schedule (or takes another leap). Who the hell knows - it'll be a fun year if it actually happens.

This is a good move - I feel like Ryan is a pretty versatile player who can contribute in a lot of ways (ie, a Gregg type). Their CB room has a chance to be pretty decent: no star players, but a bunch of guys who could be solid starters. Can't hurt to have a bunch of depth, at least.

The phrasing of the Manish piece is weird though: "Gang Green believes that it will land former Patriots and Titans defensive back Logan Ryan on a one-year deal, according to sources." "Believes" is doing a lot of work there. Is this actually happening?

Edit: Yup, loving Manish

https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/1260251407963258880?s=20

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 12, 2020

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I'm seeing Bills, Pats, Jets/Fins.

But, the only thing that would actually surprise me would be the Jets having a good offense. Not having a winning record, a good D and a below average O could go 9-7, they could do that.

If it ends up Pats, Bills, Jets/Fins, I'll be pissed, but not surprised.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

torgeaux posted:

But, the only thing that would actually surprise me would be the Jets having a good offense. Not having a winning record, a good D and a below average O could go 9-7, they could do that.

If the Jets have even, like, the 20th ranked offense I'll be pretty happy because it would mean Darnold got good enough to drag Gase kicking and screaming to that point.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 12, 2020

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Professor Funk posted:

If the Jets have even, like, the 20th ranked offense I'll be happy because it would mean Darnold got good enough to drag Gase kicking and screaming to that point.

I won't be surprised if Darnold improves, he's got talent. The play calling should evolve, one would hope. But, Gase is so freaking conseravative and predictable, teams just adapt in ways he's not capable of getting around. Is the Oline going to be better for you guys for the run game? Bell is the difference maker on this team, if allowed to be.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
The Dolphins are apparently interested in Logan Ryan too.

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1260252976947646468

Are they out there trying to run a defense staffed entirely by cornerbacks? Minkah Fitzpatrick got mad at playing SS but at what point are you forgoing linebackers?

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 12, 2020

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Miami with an improved OL would be a genuine shock, and would surprise a lot of folks.

Honestly if you genuinely believe in Hunt at RT for whatever reason you immediately sign the saints cut RG. That guys an immediate starter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Amy Pole Her posted:

Honestly if you genuinely believe in Hunt at RT for whatever reason you immediately sign the saints cut RG. That guys an immediate starter.

Apparently he's looking for like $7m a year? He's only 28 and has been very good, there should be a feeding frenzy to sign him. Dolphins and Jets should both be all over him.

torgeaux posted:

I won't be surprised if Darnold improves, he's got talent. The play calling should evolve, one would hope. But, Gase is so freaking conseravative and predictable, teams just adapt in ways he's not capable of getting around. Is the Oline going to be better for you guys for the run game? Bell is the difference maker on this team, if allowed to be.

(1) Bell being used close to correctly and (2) Herndon staying healthy are probably the keys to the offense being better than expected. I'm keeping my expectations low for Mims (because he's a rookie) and Perriman (because he's been a bust for all but 8 games of his career).

But yeah, Gase ran the ball 52% of the time on 2nd and long last year. I'm not getting my hopes up for any kind of evolution.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 12, 2020