Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Latin Pheonix posted:

Just watching the latest ATV and they're making such a massive deal about programming their ATC. Now I'm not a fancy-pants game developer so I have no idea how it works, but surely you could just have a simple queue? For example, if you have 3 landing pads and all 3 are filled then just inform the 4th spaceship to wait until one of the ships has despawned from the pad, and if that 4th ship leaves then move the 5th ship waiting up a spot. I can't imagine this would be as difficult to develop as they're making it out to be.

Am I being dense? Is it way more complicated?

Think of it from the point of view of a small but plucky trolls (i.e. dead gay comedy forum users), and how to have fun:

1. You can occupy all available landing slots, and simply..park there, indefinitely, denying anyone else use to the station.

2. You cripple all the other ships on the landing pads, creating an impassable backlog.

3. Potentially certain landing pads too small for certain large autism chariots, try and land them there anyway.

There's a reason E:D has harsh and uncaring traffic control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

The Titanic posted:

In JIRA CR is solving all these code blockers himself by going through each ticket and changing the version from 3.0 to 3.1.

You're welcome!

There is a lot more truth in that than you might think...
That sudden dip looks a lot like bug triage to me.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Spuckuk posted:

Think of it from the point of view of a small but plucky trolls (i.e. dead gay comedy forum users), and how to have fun:

2. You cripple all the other ships on the landing pads, creating an impassable backlog.

Deploy the Space Bulldozer!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Codezombie posted:

Crobberts foresaw this all along :yarg:

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Codezombie posted:

I'm now genuinely curious about just how SC AI is going to (not) work.

If the game is running in instances, regardless how how many players are in an instance, the AI is going to have some, interesting, problems to deal with, as there will need to be multiple versions of the AI in each instance.

By that I mean, if the AI interacts with a player in one instance, then its behaviour tree is going to be different to how it was resolved in another instance.
I can see it's going to be fun times when one instance closes, and the trees, positions etc of the two versions of the same AI have to be merged. I bet good money, they will throw away the properties of the AI in the closing instance, which of course will lead to weird continuity errors for players then trying to go back into the area that they just left containing the AI, it'll appear to have warped around the environment. (for example, god help them if the player killed the AI in one instance, and the others players in the other instance did not)

I'm sure that will totally not be riddled with bugs and exploitable at all...

You are way overthinking this. They will never even approach tackling these problems in any meaningful sense. I get you, though.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

If I understand it correctly, they are not actually fixing those bugs, but are moving them to the next sprint. So they basically say "move all bugs that don't prevent you from getting in your ship and flying to location a from the bug tracker, we will deal with them later". So they plan to release a slice of 3.0 to evocati, which is mostly :airquote: bugfree :airquote: while working on the rest of 3.0, because they know they have to release something, else Rome burns.

So not only have they already reduced the scope of 3.0 drastically, they are even slicing it into smaller parts to release SOMETHING to Evocati.

Someone remind me...didn't they do exactly the same with 2.4 or was it 2.5? And then promised monthly updates because they had to cut half of what was promised?

So they are currently doing exactly the same thing again.

CIG is awesome. They redefine what is possible.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
The landing pad issue has already been solved, stupid goonies.

As the servers are going to be limited to 12 players they just need to make each landing zone contain 12 or more pads.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Chunjee posted:

I'm not having a go at Jira but we use it at work and I find it to be an incredible source of busy work. I'm sure it helps some higher ups see where things are at, but is it worth the daily hour of ticketing and year of "getting" Jira setup right.

Jira is the crazy ex-girlfriend that you know is bad for you, but you just can't quit. We're a fortune 500, we have people who do the configuring, but I've tried to produce a consistent workflow for years that devolves into something utterly poo poo.

Bear in mind, fortune 500, I currently have to assign a ticket that is already assigned to get it to assign. Where it really starts to shine is when you need Stash (git for corporates) integration or someone wants to stare into the abyss called 'crucible'.

Weirdly, we're currently data-rich and information poor because although people want metrics, they're really bad at specifying the metric they want and what action they're going to take.

Spuckuk posted:

Lol, just loving lol that it's five years in and they don;t even have JIRA, the most standard bug tracking software, working properly.

Yeah, although I've pointed out some of the woes, it's mainly because we have thousands of projects and hundreds of teams with varying degrees of scrumminess. A single company with multiple offices should be something that you set up in an afternoon; but I think it underlines the real issue in terms that they hadn't figured out specific roles for the offices, and instead went chaotic, which is why Erin is making the plea.

In commercial programming, we'd have a pull request to socialize the risk to pushing out bad code to production (and the figure of around $70K/minute in lost revenue). It _used to be_ that a fuckup would head to a meeting to explain what happened, why it happened and why it won't happen again.

I've been in that position, and you have a vested interest in not doing it too many times, but people committing fixes that are untested fucks _everyone_ involved.

Not getting Jira right is a symptom of their wider problems, and I suspect it's because leadership depends on how Chris feels.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

SomethingJones posted:

Star Citizen: Around the Verse - Sep 21, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV2qhhtsMA0

DOORS. DOORS ARE STILL A loving PROBLEM.

Sorry if old news, just watching for first time, but loving doors.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yep, the old "patch a month charade".

Problem is, now supposedly since they have a delta patcher it will be hard for them to walk back on what they have said.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I want to make a post here, but my mind is broken by their constantly backsteps and redefinitions. They need to stop putting bigger numbers down on the table. It's not like the numbers ever mean anything or help anything. They just arbitrarily jump up, regardless of the fact they have never released what was meant to be several numbers ago. Now they are deliberately releasing buggy, broken poo poo for no reason at all.

Just make the whole game spew Thanks for playing Wing Commander over everything. Broken helmet: "Thanks for playing...". Broken animation, nice big animated "Thanks...". Even some broken audio can join in.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Codezombie posted:

I think a space bulldozer might actually work as intended on one of those spinny space stations in Elite :v:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Codezombie posted:

I've seen this sort of ATC style overdesign a couple of times in my career. Usually the design team goes away, gets carried away and over designs something, usually without consulting the coders. When the coders finally get to see the design, they take the Designers into a quiet, out of the way office and *BEAT THEM WITH CANES* after that a simpler design which is achievable within a reasonable time frame is delivered.

This was me with designers in the 1990s.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Ahhh poo poo, i'm handing in my gladioli and hearing aid.

Have a daffodil.

You might be thinking of Dame Edna Everidge.

tuo posted:

If I understand it correctly, they are not actually fixing those bugs, but are moving them to the next sprint.

Managing scope.

Hell, I'd be very surprised if they aren't also scrubbing tickets. That's where you close something on the basis that it might have been fixed elsewhere, but nobody actually wants to go and check.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sillybones posted:

I want to make a post here, but my mind is broken by their constantly backsteps and redefinitions.

Their biggest mistake was delaying 3.0 rather than moving to a 4.0 and releasing whatever poo poo they had. Gamescom was apparently what they'd spent the year doing, and a large portion of that was refactors of Eckhart and the shoulder mounted railgun, which to this day triggers me more than it should.

They're placing a lot of importance on 3.0 that _cannot_ be borne out by what we've seen so far, breathless blog descriptions notwithstanding.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Crazypoops posted:

morale looking good

:wow: At first I thought this couldn't be real and had been 'shopped. They ALL look so. loving. miserable.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

tbf i've never been to a meeting that doesn't look like that, no matter where I was working at the time.

meetings suck rear end

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

big nipples big life posted:

tbf i've never been to a meeting that doesn't look like that, no matter where I was working at the time.

meetings suck rear end

more so if you're being video recorded for the world to observe

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

the only time you see business meetings full of happy people is stock photography

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

Codezombie posted:

I'm now genuinely curious about just how SC AI is going to (not) work.

If the game is running in instances, regardless how how many players are in an instance, the AI is going to have some, interesting, problems to deal with, as there will need to be multiple versions of the AI in each instance.

By that I mean, if the AI interacts with a player in one instance, then its behaviour tree is going to be different to how it was resolved in another instance.
I can see it's going to be fun times when one instance closes, and the trees, positions etc of the two versions of the same AI have to be merged. I bet good money, they will throw away the properties of the AI in the closing instance, which of course will lead to weird continuity errors for players then trying to go back into the area that they just left containing the AI, it'll appear to have warped around the environment. (for example, god help them if the player killed the AI in one instance, and the others players in the other instance did not)

I'm sure that will totally not be riddled with bugs and exploitable at all...

I was trying to wrap my mind around this as well. Given their tendency to solve problems by just coping what Elite does, I bet each instance will have a completely different set of randomly generated NPCs

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Or when lunch is provided.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
or tickle based funtimes

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Sillybones posted:

Flicking a switch is essentially just flicking on a switch server side. Then everything game will be playable. You'd know this if you watch video.

Speaking of flipping switches, GW2 Path of Fire came out today. I was playing GW2 and suddenly people were saying PoF was out and I was like, oh right, the expansion comes out today time to respec then go see the silly story and get to the real gameplay; grinding mastery points for the new mounts... My point is why can't any other MMOs 'just flip a switch' and release their expansions without requiring days of downtime/stability problems?

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

the real question is - will total warhammer 3 and all its dlc come out before squadron 42? of course don't be stupid

i'd say star citizen but 3.0 is going to be called launch and getting pushed out next year most likely

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Roflan posted:

Speaking of flipping switches, GW2 Path of Fire came out today. I was playing GW2 and suddenly people were saying PoF was out and I was like, oh right, the expansion comes out today time to respec then go see the silly story and get to the real gameplay; grinding mastery points for the new mounts... My point is why can't any other MMOs 'just flip a switch' and release their expansions without requiring days of downtime/stability problems?
they do? wow's been p good about this the last two expansions and so has diablo

FF14 doesn't have a bunch of downtime either but they do weird server poo poo because I strongly believe japanese developers have no idea internet and server infrastructure has improved since 2002

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Well, ya, but I mean literally without any downtime. For both GW2's expansions, I was ingame when they launched and actually forgot they were releasing that day. GW2 just doesn't have downtime whether for patches or expansions and I marvel at how they do it.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Hav posted:

Jira is the crazy ex-girlfriend that you know is bad for you, but you just can't quit. We're a fortune 500, we have people who do the configuring, but I've tried to produce a consistent workflow for years that devolves into something utterly poo poo.
I've been using JIRA for a year with a tiny team and it's been really nice, but then again we've stripped it down so much we may as well be using Trello. Its excuse for markup is loving dreadful though.

That bug chart with the perfect downward trend from 80 bugs is either total bullshit or only telling a tiny part of the story. There's no way they've fixed 80+ bugs and not had a single one come back as unfixed or breaking something else.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

toiletbrush posted:

That bug chart with the perfect downward trend from 80 bugs is either total bullshit or only telling a tiny part of the story. There's no way they've fixed 80+ bugs and not had a single one come back as unfixed or breaking something else.

Yah, doesn't look too natural does it. The only way you'd get a drop off like that is if you decided "well, we don't really need this feature, so that removes about five bugs"

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Roflan posted:

Well, ya, but I mean literally without any downtime. For both GW2's expansions, I was ingame when they launched and actually forgot they were releasing that day. GW2 just doesn't have downtime whether for patches or expansions and I marvel at how they do it.
yes, both wow and diablo have done this

you download the expansion weeks earlier, it just gets flagged as available at a certain date/time, you don't even need to logout or anything, just start playing

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Really? Cool, then... Now if only FFXIV would do it...

At least it's not something SC will ever have to worry about.

Roflan fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 22, 2017

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

tuo posted:

Wait, there is another way to avoid beeing scanned than going into the mailslot full (after)burn?

Silent Running and Heatsinks

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Mu77ley posted:

Silent Running

Not a guarantee, but still an effective way of getting your cargo of slaves past port security

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

I’m reading this as a 4 part comic where they build the table proudly show it off, play on it for awhile, and then management removes it because it’s hurting productivity or whatever. Is that not what we’re seeing?

Taxxe: https://youtu.be/DuU82cQiv5k

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Chris saw the Squadron 42 and wanted Squadron 42 so he built Squadron 42 for Squadron 42.

Sure, its probably bullshit and makes little sense, but its better than "Squadron 42 is Sandi's favorite number" like some idiot.

With Chris, the dumber the theory the closer to truth.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

happyhippy posted:

DOORS. DOORS ARE STILL A loving PROBLEM.

Sorry if old news, just watching for first time, but loving doors.

Make sense. The engine cant determine your position with enough precision to know when you cross the threshold. When your position relative to the door is within the engine margin of error your at the same time outside and inside the door, so poo poo breaks.

Maybe the problem is that :

a) if they set the scale so the engine do good on ship, fps goes to poo poo. You get ejected from ships, vibrate trough the floor, etc

b) if they set the scale so its good for FPS, ship objects aggregate explode without warning (engine cant tell if the gun object is at the correct distance from the engine object) and the fps goes way down because the server physic frame take longer to calculate.

Every patch iteration goes from a to b in steps until they find the most stable scale setting. At every steps some doors and elevator works but other breaks, depending of the scale and how they where coded in the engine. No setting allow for everything to work fine.

Note this is pure speculation. Not a game dev and no experience with Cry Lumber STARENGINE !

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TheAgent posted:

wheres the next concept sale

why aren't they teasing it

where the gently caress is it

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/1/thread/spaceship-prices/485961

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

doingitwrong posted:

I’m reading this as a 4 part comic where they build the table proudly show it off, play on it for awhile, and then management removes it because it’s hurting productivity or whatever. Is that not what we’re seeing?

Taxxe: https://youtu.be/DuU82cQiv5k

Perhaps. About the only things I get from the pictures are:

1) They assembled it themselves. So probably not level.
2) As previously mentioned it is without markers.
3) Custom felt design. Probably a surcharge.
4) And 30 chalk marks on the felt because they were probably drunk trying trick shots.

Sums up the company. Appearance over function.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

big nipples big life posted:

meetings suck rear end

Nah man, I've been to my share of meetings and that right there is a room full of IDGAF.

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe

Codezombie posted:

There is a lot more truth in that than you might think...
That sudden dip looks a lot like bug triage to me.

theyve explicitly said they're doing that

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lol it's another loving motorcycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Crazypoops posted:

morale looking good

Heh Ben Parry wearing an Elite Dangerous T-Shirt there.

I mean, well why not.