Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Before I delete all these games off the old switch, I did a system transfer so all my saves carried over to the new one correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Len posted:

Before I delete all these games off the old switch, I did a system transfer so all my saves carried over to the new one correct?

Yes.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Does the warranty a new Switch comes with cover replacing joy-cons if they have disconnect/drift issues? I really want the Switch + Mario Kart 8 bundle for $299, but it has the older Switch model. I don't care about the battery life since I'd mostly use it docked but I don't want to have to pay another $60 six months from now for new joycons and negate the cost saving of getting Mario Kart 8 for free.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I'm about four years late on this, but can't really find an answer. Is Splatoon 2 a game with legs if you're only going to be playing it offline with a kid? My boy is infatuated with the Inklings in SSBU, so I'm thinking about picking it up.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Splatoon and Splatoon 2 both have really good single player campaigns (especially the Octo Expansion in 2)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The red box switch joycons came out of the box with the left joycons down arrow not working.

These are seriously the worst loving controllers

Is there a limit to the amount of systems I can transfer to? Because I didn't think I would have to check the joycons work and best buy wants me to return the whole drat thing

Edit: maybe it's working? I updated the controllers, disconnected them, reconnected them, and mashed down a whole bunch and eventually it started working again

Len fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 25, 2020

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fly Ricky posted:

I'm about four years late on this, but can't really find an answer. Is Splatoon 2 a game with legs if you're only going to be playing it offline with a kid? My boy is infatuated with the Inklings in SSBU, so I'm thinking about picking it up.

I think the single player for Splatoon / 2 is legitimately good

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Bleck posted:

Splatoon and Splatoon 2 both have really good single player campaigns (especially the Octo Expansion in 2)

eonwe posted:

I think the single player for Splatoon / 2 is legitimately good

Thanks! I'll peep the expansion once he has his fill of the regular campaign.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fly Ricky posted:

Yes. The base campaign is good and the DLC one is even better. You should try playing online as well. It's very welcoming to players new to online shooters.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yes. The base campaign is good and the DLC one is even better. You should try playing online as well. It's very welcoming to players new to online shooters.

Good to know. It will probably blow his mind to realize it's even possible. We've never taken SSBU or Mario Kart online; I've just had this preconceived notion that it would ruin him.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The big thing you don't need to worry about on Switch is voice chat.

Splatoon is designed so that all you really need are its two emotes.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Waffle! posted:

Throw a metal boomerang at a Lizalfos during a lightning storm and let him catch it. Lightning's his problem now!

Or you can just drop any metal weapon on the ground and then use Magnesis to pick it up and smoosh it against an enemy's face until the lightning strikes

Sure it'd probably be quicker to just attack them normally with a different weapon, but it wouldn't be as funny

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 25, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fly Ricky posted:

Good to know. It will probably blow his mind to realize it's even possible. We've never taken SSBU or Mario Kart online; I've just had this preconceived notion that it would ruin him.

There’s no voice chat in any of these unless you use the phone app so you don’t have to worry about people saying gross things. There’s also match making in all 3 to keep him playing against people of the same skill.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

SeANMcBAY posted:

There’s no voice chat in any of these unless you use the phone app so you don’t have to worry about people saying gross things. There’s also match making in all 3 to keep him playing against people of the same skill.

Also good to know! Much appreciated, I had no idea there was matchmaking in the two we've got now. I just figured Nintendo was behind in that like they've been behind on everything else online.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fly Ricky posted:

Also good to know! Much appreciated, I had no idea there was matchmaking in the two we've got now. I just figured Nintendo was behind in that like they've been behind on everything else online.

It’s not the best matchmaking in Smash but it should eventually pit him only against similar skilled players.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Fly Ricky posted:

Ironically, Nintendo created the best online fighting game lobby in ARMS, which I bet your kid would love.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

arms

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i enjoy arms

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeANMcBAY posted:

Agreed. Splatoon is like, super friendly. And mostly they can't communicate anything negative to begin with

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

eonwe posted:

Agreed. Splatoon is like, super friendly. And mostly they can't communicate anything negative to begin with

There are public posts in the square but they're always super positive.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from the internet, it’s that gross sex and racism can be conveyed in any communication media.

Online gaming is toxic waste; expose your children to it with caution.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I remember during the demo last year the lobby was absolutely flooded with advice and positivity, with a bunch of veteran players wearing limited/exclusive equipment just so the newbies could order a copy. And everyone in the discord channel was super friendly as well. Also nobody showed me a shred of mercy on the battlefield. The overall experience was like getting your rear end kicked in a fight but the other guy is enthusiastically shouting advice the whole time. He punches out a tooth and asks if you're hydrated enough.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

bushisms.txt posted:

Ironically, Nintendo created the best online fighting game lobby in ARMS, which I bet your kid would love.

Looks like it's Xmas in February for the little guy. Thanks for the help y'all.

I'm never going to finish Zelda...:sweatdrop:

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It's true folks, Splatoon owns and the community is super positive.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Sometimes people use the lobby posts to draw the squids horny, though.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The Silver Snail posted:

Sometimes people use the lobby posts to draw the squids horny, though.

There's a Report button!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It only got really horny on mayo day. So many dog-men covered in “mayo”

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013

Fly Ricky posted:

Allow me to break with the previous posts by saying absolutely not. I'm not saying the single player campaign is bad, but it's maybe 2 or 3 hours long, the missions are short and fairly same-y and it's not even remotely worth buying the game for. You won't be playing together on a single Switch either, there's no multiplayer splitscreen.

98% of the fun to be had in Splatoon 2 lies in the online multiplayer content, and that's really not an exaggeration. I'm not sure you can even dress up your Inkling with the hundreds of outfits available, since you have to play online to gain money to buy hats and clothes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
And the DLC campaign costs $20, so you're paying $80 total for a single player shooter game if you grab Octo Expansion. And the online costs $20 assuming you don't have it already, so that's a $100 package in total. If you're not going to be playing online, it's absolutely not worth it.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

saber interactive got bought and i hope they don't get ruined by gigantic corpo overlords

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

PassingPie posted:

Allow me to break with the previous posts by saying absolutely not. I'm not saying the single player campaign is bad, but it's maybe 2 or 3 hours long, the missions are short and fairly same-y and it's not even remotely worth buying the game for.

1) a kid will probably take longer to play through a game than someone posting on the internet about video games

2) 3 hours of good gameplay is perfectly fine?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Splat2 + Octo expansion is regularly on sale for $40 and it's well worth it. Don't let the haters trick you out of experiencing a great game.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

American McGay posted:

Splat2 + Octo expansion is regularly on sale for $40 and it's well worth it. Don't let the haters trick you out of experiencing a great game.

what? where is it ever that cheap? I know plenty of people that would be all in for that low.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

American McGay posted:

Mind citing the place where they can grab that? I'm sure that would be a helpful resource.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

American McGay posted:

I'm always down for saving money.

I appreciate the warnings that it's a quick campaign, but he's six and pretty much plays the same handful of levels in both MK8 and SSBU over and over (I'm so goddamn sick of Paulutena's Whatever in Smash the very sight of it makes me gag). Repetition doesn't really phase him yet. I am interested in giving him a shot online in all of said games now that I know there is actually a matchmaking system in place.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Like others said, there are drawings people can submit to the game, which can show up in the plaza (which is the starting hub area) and in stages as well. Those can be disabled if you're worried about inappropriate content. There's also a report to Nintendo feature for those.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 25, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Elderbean posted:

One thing I really love about BOTW is how you can trivialize certain things by just thinking outside the box, and the game usually lets you do it.

There was one puzzle that involved using the motion controls to move a ball through a maze and into a hole. When the ball respawns, you can flip the board over entirely until the flat side is facing up, the ball will spawn on the flat side and you can just roll it into place, negating the maze entirely

Easier option;

Turn the platform 90 degrees anticlockwise before the ball falls in. Drops right in the groove for tossing it over the gap.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Elderbean posted:

One thing I really love about BOTW is how you can trivialize certain things by just thinking outside the box, and the game usually lets you do it.

There was one puzzle that involved using the motion controls to move a ball through a maze and into a hole. When the ball respawns, you can flip the board over entirely until the flat side is facing up, the ball will spawn on the flat side and you can just roll it into place, negating the maze entirely

As I played pretty much all of BotW handheld I did use this solution, but it was actually plenty challenging too.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I'm on a switch lite, discovered a couple of gyro puzzles, tried for 5 mins before just giving up in frustration. Guess I'll give that lie on bed upside down trick. Preferably when I'm home alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Araxxor posted:

Like others said, there are drawings people can submit to the game, which can show up in the plaza (which is the starting hub area) and in stages as well. Those can be disabled if you're worried about inappropriate content. There's also a report to Nintendo feature for those.

It's usually nothing literally explicit, though. Usually the questionable stuff is just dumb poo poo like, Female Character Eats a Ice Cream Cone Bad, or possibly, Crusty Sean's Bulbous Backside 6.