Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Glazius posted:

...see, now I wonder. The Pods are kind of taking over being navigators at this point. What's coordinating the pods?

The pods are. They're AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

FeyerbrandX posted:

Did they actually doppler shift his jingle too?

They did, it's great. It reminds me of how old bad Unity games have doppler on everything since it was enabled by default, until it was changed because of how absurd it sounds in almost every situation.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm guessing that even if Pod 153 knew where A2 was, it wouldn't have disclosed that information to 9S at this time due to his current mental state.

I'm also guessing that the two pods making more decisions autonomously behind the backs of their operators is going to be a big plot point eventually.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Synthbuttrange posted:

Its not like humanity can go extinct a second time. Why not have them around?!

Too many alcohol-related repair bills and HR complaints.

Either that or the part where they hosed up every single android's raison d'être, and "mob mentality" is yet another of the puzzlingly long list of human traits the Gestalt Project guys thought were good ideas for androids to have.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Begemot posted:

The pods are. They're AI.

Earlier on there's a scene where 042 straight up tells 2B that he can be more conversational and less robotic but she tells him she's not interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoNnPsm-_Tc

The pods are more sophisticated and intelligent than they seem, it's just that neither 2B or 9S were interested in asking for their input.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Earlier on there's a scene where 042 straight up tells 2B that he can be more conversational and less robotic but she tells him she's not interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoNnPsm-_Tc

The pods are more sophisticated and intelligent than they seem, it's just that neither 2B or 9S were interested in asking for their input.

No one appreciates their pods, the ingrates.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its true. Pods thrown into the ocean, buried in the desert.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Real weird watching the Devola Popola scene in the highlights and seeing them both get their hair and skirts blown by wind in the same way and at the same time, every time.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Zagglezig posted:

Real weird watching the Devola Popola scene in the highlights and seeing them both get their hair and skirts blown by wind in the same way and at the same time, every time.

It's how twins work. Don't you know this?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

bman in 2288 posted:

It's how twins work. Don't you know this?

I can confirm this. Even 3000 miles away now, my brother and I keep in touch with pins in the arm and a code we developed as kids. Haven't gotten around to switching to Skype.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Bruceski posted:

I can confirm this. Even 3000 miles away now, my brother and I keep in touch with pins in the arm and a code we developed as kids. Haven't gotten around to switching to Skype.

To be fair, it's probably got better latency and call quality than Skype anyway.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Welp, 9S is MAD. He may not be yelling, but you can still tell that he's MAD from his voice, that's some good work there. Let's see if he can successfully transform in muderhacker.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Stephen9001 posted:

Welp, 9S is MAD. He may not be yelling, but you can still tell that he's MAD from his voice, that's some good work there. Let's see if he can successfully transform in muderhacker.

You mean all those Machine Lifeforms that exploded are still alive?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth TNT posted:

You mean all those Machine Lifeforms that exploded are still alive?

Better! They became As Gods! :yayclod:

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Historical records indicate that humans often traveled to 3-7 different locations to gain access to a central location. Proposal: Unit 9S should don green attire to maximize success in unlocking machine structure.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Interesting that 153 isn't telling Nines what really went down with 2B and A2. 042 must have told her, maybe she wants an angry hackbot for some reason (or at least would prefer it to a sad one).

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
There's no guarantee that a player starts route C with A2 sooooo

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
In our research meeting this morning one of the groups revealed they're starting a new project named Gestalt :cry:

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

The Dark Id posted:

I don’t care about chain of command. I have one goal now. I’m going to kill every last machine. And then... I’m going to kill A2.

Observation: Unit 9S has stated two separately defined goals despite claiming to have only one. Recommendation: Unit 9S should seek to get his poo poo together.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Dzhay posted:

Interesting that 153 isn't telling Nines what really went down with 2B and A2. 042 must have told her, maybe she wants an angry hackbot for some reason (or at least would prefer it to a sad one).

I imagine the pods figure 9S isnt going to listen to reason so revealing their cards now would be counter productive. At worst 9S would break his pod to get more answers.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Dzhay posted:

We've seen that pods don't hand out information unless directly asked for it in the sick animal sidequest. And why would 9S ask what went down between A2 and 2B?
He's likely not aware that the pods are exchanging information in their own private chatroom.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exploded mummy posted:

There's no guarantee that a player starts route C with A2 sooooo

yeah, but the pods clearly mention that A2 is ready for reactivation before the chapter select, which isn't really "status unknown"

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Unit A2’s position and current status are unknown in the sense that 153 doesn't literally know where she is down to her immediate current coordinates, which means it's technically not a lie to say "status unknown" to an android who is currently planning to murder her.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Poltergrift posted:

Unit A2’s position and current status are unknown in the sense that 153 doesn't literally know where she is down to her immediate current coordinates, which means it's technically not a lie to say "status unknown" to an android who is currently planning to murder her.
Pod 153 does not currently have A2 on her sensors, so her current location and status are unknown. The fact that she learned what A2's status and location were five minutes ago when chatting with 042 doesn't change that.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah, but the pods clearly mention that A2 is ready for reactivation before the chapter select, which isn't really "status unknown"

Writing stuff in a generic manner so you're not forced to do multiple conditionals over character status and/or player knowledge is fairly common and doesn't really mean anything

Not every game needs to be Alpha Protocol.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CaimS...

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

cirus posted:

In our research meeting this morning one of the groups revealed they're starting a new project named Gestalt :cry:

Don't touch and black books and you'll be fine

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

cirus posted:

We are living in a Yoko Taro game, I loving called it months ago

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sensing a whole lot of ripping and tearing in our future

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
I'm an update late too, but I'd like to say that, while I didn't have any trouble with 2B's death march (I just took it easy), I activated B-mode in the Hegel fight and died like a chump within like five seconds, so I definitely feel like I've paid a toll of some sort.

In fact, come to think of it, nah, I know I did my time, but that's a story for another day.

I like to think that the uncanny look of YoRHa android eyes when they remove their blindfolds is fully intentional. It makes them look not human in a way that feels too deliberate to just be a consequence of the character design.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I've been somewhat spoiled on the game, but only through vague awareness of some plot points, so experiencing it first-hand like this has been really enjoyable. Thank you for all the entertainment you've given us, and I'm glad to be able to love this poo poo live at last instead of just reading archived LPs.

To be actually on topic; a particular thing I like about Nier: Automata is that its soundtrack uses more low-pitch female voices (like in A Beautiful Song), something that isn't really common in video game soundtracks as far as I'm aware.

Charles_Kinbote
Sep 12, 2017
About wicked tough boss battles; am I the only person that keeps the game constantly on maximum camera distance? I suppose if you're a hardcore masochist and FPS god, you could actually play the game in first person mode (this is a feature), but expanding the visual distance helped a lot with Hegel. And yeah, does M-Shield actually work on Hegel? That'd be interesting; use Level 3 M-Shield the moment the beams start flying, then hope it lasts all the way to the end of the round. But I beat Hegel relying only on B-Mode and being outrageously overleveled.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Charles_Kinbote posted:

About wicked tough boss battles; am I the only person that keeps the game constantly on maximum camera distance? I suppose if you're a hardcore masochist and FPS god, you could actually play the game in first person mode (this is a feature), but expanding the visual distance helped a lot with Hegel. And yeah, does M-Shield actually work on Hegel? That'd be interesting; use Level 3 M-Shield the moment the beams start flying, then hope it lasts all the way to the end of the round. But I beat Hegel relying only on B-Mode and being outrageously overleveled.

I was really over leveled, and that's probably why I survived the fight. I went into B-Mode with a lot of health recovery chips, and even then used a lot of health items to make sure I didn't die near the end of the fight. To answer an earlier question about off screen enemies: Yes, most games make it so that off screen enemies won't attack. Most of Automata does this, but a few fights exclude the off screen enemy rule. Games that allow off screen enemy attacks usually use loud sound indicators to alert the player. It's been that way since Devil May Cry 1. Every enemy in the game has very distinctive sounds related to their attacks, so the player can react accordingly in time.

In other news, if anyone is going to Youmacon this Friday, Pod 042, a.k.a, D.C. Douglas will be there.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

The Repo Man posted:

In other news, if anyone is going to Youmacon this Friday, Pod 042, a.k.a, D.C. Douglas will be there.

Just be careful if he asks you to touch any black books.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Get the cookie in advance.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
9S has some good voice acting. He's got a real good low key boiling hate going in his delivery of some of those last few lines. Also I'm surprised nobody mentioned how creepy the pleasant PA voice was. Is that supposed to be the same virus machine voice from the Bunker going to poo poo?

Also I've met DC Douglas and he's super nice despite being able to the best dry rear end in a top hat voice around. :3:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Nohman posted:

Also I'm surprised nobody mentioned how creepy the pleasant PA voice was. Is that supposed to be the same virus machine voice from the Bunker going to poo poo?

Thats certainly the impression I got. Still not sure if thats the same VA (or if one the VA's was taken from the operators. Though I feel 9S would freak out more if it was)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It really sounded to me like the machines were talking through 6O on the bunker.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Nohman posted:

Also I've met DC Douglas and he's super nice despite being able to the best dry rear end in a top hat voice around. :3:

He also voiced Legion from Mass Effect, and also Wrys in Fire Emblem Heroes. So he can do more than the dry rear end in a top hat voice.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stephen9001 posted:

He also voiced Legion from Mass Effect, and also Wrys in Fire Emblem Heroes. So he can do more than the dry rear end in a top hat voice.

Not to mention the incredibly gay dance instructor in Persona 4: Dancing All Night.

• Locked thread