Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I saw Blackfish, and I'm not sure why movies like that bother me. Is it because I instantly see parallels to human beings in stories about slavery and captivity for profit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I saw Blackfish, and I'm not sure why movies like that bother me. Is it because I instantly see parallels to human beings in stories about slavery and captivity for profit?

Just basic empathy for living things. Even the most compassionate and well-run zoo in the world is still a zoo, where creatures are kept captive for our amusement. And if the zoos are lovely, then it becomes quite sad and a little... sadistic?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

It illustrates or highlights disturbing elements of human nature and society.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think what troubles me is that you'll find most people probably find such things intuitively wrong yet feel powerless to change them. Indeed, a lot of people find easier sympathy with animals. What hope do fellow humans have? Its really disquieting.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to post this in this thread.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 3, 2013

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

This is more of a film industry question and it might seem really stupid, but what does one actually DO with a screenplay once they write it? Like you hear the occasional story of some nobody's script being picked up by a studio, or of screenwriters mailing out drafts of their project to every major production company, but is there some department that actually reads all of these (mostly terrible) submissions in search of some Oscar-bound masterpiece? It just feels like unless you're connected in some way with a producer willing to finance your project, there's little to no reason for a studio to ever seek outside submissions for screenplays.

Watch Bowfinger, it explains everything.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think what troubles me is that you'll find most people probably find such things intuitively wrong yet feel powerless to change them. Indeed, a lot of people find easier sympathy with animals. What hope do fellow humans have? Its really disquieting.

This is why District 9 makes me so loving sick. Like reality is so gross and hopeless that you need cute space bugs to even get people to let you talk about it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Jack Gladney posted:

This is why District 9 makes me so loving sick. Like reality is so gross and hopeless that you need cute space bugs to even get people to let you talk about it.

I wouldn't call those space bugs cute. In fact, I'm pretty sure they were supposed to be repulsive looking.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I wouldn't call those space bugs cute. In fact, I'm pretty sure they were supposed to be repulsive looking.

I'm going to add some actual words here to make sure so that it's clear this a joke.

I really liked District 9 but it had some problems.

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 4, 2013

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Christopher's son was most definitely a big, doe eyed 'cute bug' designed for the express purpose of creating empathy.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Er, wrong thread

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Aug 4, 2013

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Folks, which book about Kurosawa is good? Amazon has like 5 of 'em and I'd rather not buy some hot bullshit. Also, is his his book "Something Like An Autobiography"?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 5, 2013

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

IShallRiseAgain posted:

In a movie with Jake Busey, who can say what is truly the most repulsive thing?

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Does anyone have a link to that old Transformers thread where the OP was doing deep analysis on the entire trilogy? It was cut short, but from what I remember it was excellent reading, and I wanted to share it with some friends.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

weekly font posted:

Jake Busey was in District 9?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
edit: oh I thought you said gary busey

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Folks, which book about Kurosawa is good? Amazon has like 5 of 'em and I'd rather not buy some hot bullshit. Also, is his his book "Something Like An Autobiography"?

Yeah, that's his autobio. It's a quality read.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

weekly font posted:

For some reason I thought we were talking about Starship Troopers.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Green Bean posted:

Does anyone have a link to that old Transformers thread where the OP was doing deep analysis on the entire trilogy? It was cut short, but from what I remember it was excellent reading, and I wanted to share it with some friends.

From a few pages back:

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Does anyone know what movie this article is talking about?

quote:

Having done this Mr. Cranky thing for some time now, I have been on the delivering end of a barrage of insults directed toward the writer of some movie for contributing to their craft what flies contribute to piles of dog poo poo. In fact, I’ve probably called for more than one writer to be immediately dismissed from the Writer’s Guild and thrown out onto the street to live in the alleys or the gutters or wherever it is that they can go where they can’t possibly inflict their idea of “writing” on the rest of us. I am guilty of the very thing I am now about to criticize other critics for doing.

That being said, I think it’s informative for movie-goers to understand how movies are made. Although the screenplay is supposed to be the foundation upon which a movie is built, the screenwriter has almost no control over what ultimately comes from their work. Yet, despite this simple fact that most critics should know (at least if they were good, well-informed critics), the screenwriter is most often blamed when a movie sucks balls.

This missive comes on the heels of a well-known movie that’s being raked over the coals and a screenwriter who’s taking punishment he should not have to take. I know the screenwriter and I read the script long before the movie was completed and can tell you it was one of the most tightly-written, funny scripts, I have ever read. I have read other scripts by this screenwriter and know him to be talented and an extremely gifted, hard-working writer who didn’t just get lucky in the industry, but worked his rear end off polishing his work and learning his craft. I like to write the occasional script myself, but this writer kicks my rear end in every conceivable way.

The second the script got green-lighted, it was hacked apart by the studio and the stars. And it’s not as if their intentions were necessarily bad or evil, but the mere act of taking a polished work by a talented person and reducing it to a mound of notecards that can be shuffled about and remade, is almost an act of evil. A good script, like any good piece of writing, is a work of art. However, we can be sure that if paintings were made for commercial release, movie executives would have long ago erased the Mona Lisa’s wry smile and put a big ol’ happy face on her to make sure everyone felt good looking at it.

In the case of this particular movie, the genre itself was changed from one thing into another to please the audience, which meant that lots of things were removed from the script and the writer forced to re-write them for better, easier, more pleasing effect. Has such an action ever produced something improved? I seriously doubt it. After that was done, a major star was hired to play one of the parts, and immediately demanded to make changes to the script to make him look better and based on his assumption that he was both a writer and an actor and clearly a better writer than the screenwriter. Can one imagine a screenwriter telling an actor how to act? Certainly not. But virtually every actor in Hollywood believes that they know better than the writer what good writing is and are ready and willing to destroy a cogent piece of writing whenever it suits their needs.

This sort of occurrence is commonplace in Hollywood. While such collaboration sometimes produces good movies, it most often produces mediocre, dumbed-down crap. Everybody in the process shits all over the writer and then the writer is blamed for the final product. Critics across the country take great glee in bringing up the writer’s name precisely because the writer is virtually powerless to fight back. It’s easy to blame the writer. However, start calling Tom Hanks or Christian Bale a talentless hack for loving up some movie and you’re almost guaranteed to get a call from somebody telling you you’re no longer welcome at the free screenings. Film critics may want you to believe they’re independent, free-thinkers, but they’re mostly hacks themselves – wannabe screenwriters or filmmakers who don’t have the guts to take the risk of moving to Hollywood to follow their dream. If you still think film critics have integrity, just go to a PA tour sometime and you’ll see what every advertising executive knows – offer up a plate of donuts to a group of film critics and you can demonstrably improve a film’s reviews. Most film critics are closet whores just waiting for the chance to sell themselves.

Imagine movie stars and executives yanking lines from a Robert Frost poem to suit their needs. If poems were the foundation movies, they’d gladly do it. Writing isn’t an art in Hollywood, it’s a commodity – as easily disposable and changeable as a dirty t-shirt. The total lack of respect for the writer is why so many films in Hollywood suck.

I think it might be Surrogates- I know that the comic book that it was based on was more of a mystery than an action story, it came out around the same time this was written (September 2009), and it had a major star (Bruce Willis) who's been known to be a pain on the set of movies.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

The Monkey Man posted:

Does anyone know what movie this article is talking about?

I think it might be Surrogates- I know that the comic book that it was based on was more of a mystery than an action story, it came out around the same time this was written (September 2009), and it had a major star (Bruce Willis) who's been known to be a pain on the set of movies.

Nope, not Surrogates. For one, that was written by two writers. And it never really changed genres.

Sounds like what happened to Big Daddy. From what I heard, the script was a touching meditation on adoption or something, and then turned into a dumb Adam Sandler comedy.

This process happens to 90% of films in Hollywood. So really, it could be any film in theaters right now. Except The Way, Way Back.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
He seems to imply that it was a recent movie (Big Daddy would've been a decade old at the time), but yeah, I just noticed that he said that it was "funny," so it probably isn't Surrogates. It could be a whole lot of things.

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 6, 2013

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Is it just me or are their far to many movies coming out in August, it seems we have about 3 or 4 big titles a week.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Are we able to pinpoint the movie that started the single-word subtitle trend of the 90s and 00s (and is still used every so often today)? You know, where instead of a number and/or statement of a subtitle, a sequel will simply have one word after the colon, and like 75% of the time the word ends in "-tion".

I can remember back when this naming convention actually seemed fresh, but these days is so oldhat it almost instantly screams 'trash sequel', especially when it's using a subtitle already used by a prior movie(s). Seriously, 'Resurrection' at this point is the successor to 'The Revenge', and 'Revelations' is hot on its heels.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
I don't know if it started the trend but the Matrix trilogy probably played a significant part in its popularity.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It was probably the Matrix movies but there are other films that also follow that pattern. :v:

(It looks like the first one to do that convention was some Mortal Kombat movie in 1996 but that was probably not the trend setter.)

computer parts fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 7, 2013

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Slasherfan posted:

Is it just me or are their far to many movies coming out in August, it seems we have about 3 or 4 big titles a week.

It's funny, back in the late 1990s there were so many rules about release dates. Late winter/early spring was reserved for leftovers from the Holiday season and expanded releases for awards-bait and no real blockbusters came out. Then, The Matrix came out of nowhere and made distributors rethink their distribution schedules.

If something was released in August, it typically meant it sucked and box office numbers were weak because everyone had blown their wad earlier in the summer and consumers were enjoying their last month of summer so presumably avoided going to the movies. And then The Sixth Sense happened and dominated August and made a ton of money and distributors had to rethink their distribution schedules.

1999 really shook up the norm for distribution schedules, and slowly over the past decade the summer release schedules and the Holiday release schedules have slowly morphed together. Now, we have a glut of big movies all year long!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

VorpalBunny posted:

It's funny, back in the late 1990s there were so many rules about release dates. Late winter/early spring was reserved for leftovers from the Holiday season and expanded releases for awards-bait and no real blockbusters came out. Then, The Matrix came out of nowhere and made distributors rethink their distribution schedules.

If something was released in August, it typically meant it sucked and box office numbers were weak because everyone had blown their wad earlier in the summer and consumers were enjoying their last month of summer so presumably avoided going to the movies. And then The Sixth Sense happened and dominated August and made a ton of money and distributors had to rethink their distribution schedules.

1999 really shook up the norm for distribution schedules, and slowly over the past decade the summer release schedules and the Holiday release schedules have slowly morphed together. Now, we have a glut of big movies all year long!

Actually, I think it's become more like before. It's just that, occasionally, something unexpected will come along at the right time and dominate a slow season.

The pattern you mentioned still exists:
The early year is dominated by throw-away releases and expanded release Oscar-bait.
The spring is always kind of weak but someone is always trying to throw something in there that might catch fire.
Summer is as it has always been but now begins squarely at the beginning of May (not Memorial Day as was traditional). Summer is pretty much done after mid-July but you'll still get a few releases with decent expectations into August.
Fall is weird as it holds a couple of decent weekends (Labor Day, Halloween) to cater to specific audiences but is also a desert.
Then you've got the holidays starting at Thanksgiving and going through New Years and Hollywood as really made an effort to make them almost as big as Summer (whereas prior you'd get holiday specific movies and family movies). I think this began with the Lord of the Rings but I'm probably wrong.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

VorpalBunny posted:

Nope, not Surrogates. For one, that was written by two writers. And it never really changed genres.

Sounds like what happened to Big Daddy. From what I heard, the script was a touching meditation on adoption or something, and then turned into a dumb Adam Sandler comedy.

This process happens to 90% of films in Hollywood. So really, it could be any film in theaters right now. Except The Way, Way Back.

Sandler did the same thing with '50 First Dates', which was a script that was on the blacklist for a while that he and his writers 'touched up'. Obviously he needed a way to shoehorn Rob Schneider in there.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
Why is Ben's last word is 'Wow' in 'Leaving Las Vegas' ?

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

It was probably the Matrix movies but there are other films that also follow that pattern. :v:

(It looks like the first one to do that convention was some Mortal Kombat movie in 1996 but that was probably not the trend setter.)

Ah, while we're citing Star Trek movies, there's Star Trek: Generations from 1994. After that there's Alien Resurrection and Mortal Kombat Annihilation which were both 1997 I think, and there's probably some inbetween then.

You could make a case for Batman Returns (which was 92) but I'm not sure I'd count that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Books had been doing it for a while. Fletch Won, Fletch Too (Fletch Won was a prequel to Fletch, published 10 years later)

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^^ Good to know, but those examples, like the Batman movies, are more turn-the-title-into-a-phrase rather than a subtitle, even if they only add one word. They seem to register differently. Of course, that's just me.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

lizardman posted:

^^ Good to know, but those examples, like the Batman movies, are more turn-the-title-into-a-phrase rather than a subtitle, even if they only add one word. They seem to register differently. Of course, that's just me.

Yeah, like Star Trek Into Darkness or Superman Returns. No colons.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Funny, I just noticed that Star Trek Generations and Alien Resurrection both don't have colons officially. I suspect that's just for aesthetic reasons but it`s interesting to try to read those titles as whole statements: the former becomes something meaning `generations of Star Trek' while the latter describes its resurrection as alien, which reminds me that I read somewhere that the original Alien actually meant for its title to be an adjective rather than a noun, which whoever came up with the title of the 2nd film didn't realize (or perhaps just didn't care, since `Aliens` is a pretty drat cool title).

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why do trailers sometimes have a line/scene not in the release of the movie? Indiana Jones Crystal Skull's "Part time" one liner was entirely different in the trailer and I just saw a review for Ted that talks about how a certain line was in the trailer but not the movie.

Are the people that make the ads different from the people making the version that plays in theaters or something like that?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Blast of Confetti posted:

Why do trailers sometimes have a line/scene not in the release of the movie? Indiana Jones Crystal Skull's "Part time" one liner was entirely different in the trailer and I just saw a review for Ted that talks about how a certain line was in the trailer but not the movie.

Are the people that make the ads different from the people making the version that plays in theaters or something like that?

The film's still being put through postproduction when trailers are released. Tweaks like that can basically be made up to fairly late in the process.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Blast of Confetti posted:

Yes. Trailers are made by marketing companies, which is why so many trailers tend to follow the same patterns and beats; it's the same guys making them. And a lot of the time, some of the footage they're given for a trailer ends up being different takes than the footage used in the actual movie, or they get a scene that they put in the trailer that ends up being deleted from the final cut of the movie. Generally speaking, the filmmaker doesn't really have much input on the trailer, except in somewhat rare cases.

EDIT: For example, I'm pretty sure that Fincher was able to do his own ad for Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. But like I said, that's a rare thing, generally they just send a highlights reel out to a company who puts some stock music behind it and edits together all the funny parts.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 8, 2013

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ohh, that makes sense then. Explains why that same loving song from the 80s or 90s is in every campy feel good movie trailer ever, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
The missing footage from a trailer that I remember most clearly would be from Twister. IIRC, it's a POV shot from inside a truck, and as it's driving down the road, a big farm tractor is picked up and tossed into the truck by the storm.

I remember it because it was pointed out in the MTV Movie Awards show from that year.